Chapter 3

The Queen's Knight

Princess Song Ji Hyo carried on walking, enjoying the feel of the wind and sun on her skin. She breathed a sigh of relief as she was cooped up in her quarters for days as the Old King was having guests from a neighboring Kingdom, in hopes to establish an alliance. She had felt bored at being unable to do anything and had had to entertain herself by playing Alkaggi and just drawing portraits of scenery she had seen.

But what really annoyed her the most was that she was unable to see him. Sure there were times when she saw him walking from the Throne Room after a meeting with the Old King had ended through her see-through Hanji windows. Most of the time she had been tempted to call out to him, to yell out 'Kim Jong Kook-ssi' but she never plucked up the courage. By then it would be too late as he would be too far for him to hear her calling. 

He walked as if he was running away from something, as if not wanting to confront her other then the necessary bow and greeting. She gave up on trying to call him but still the longing for him was still wedged inside her heart, making it ache slightly as she would watch his retreating back. Even though it had been years since their first encounter, her heart would pound in her chest when she envisioned his face all those years back. Now almost fifteen years later and she was still hopelessly in love with him without any chances of them becoming husband and wife because of their different statuses in society.  

When the Old King had sent a messenger to her quarters to inform her that she could walk outside now that the guests were gone, she had practically dashed out of the room like an excited puppy being let out to walk, her maids and ladies in waiting trailing behind her. 

Princess Song Ji Hyo had always been thought of as a cold and aloof woman, especially after rumours about the relationship between her and Lord Jo In Sung buzzed around the country, claiming they were lovers despite Princess Song Ji Hyo being the future wife of the Prince. She had developed the persona to protect herself from the rumours, though she wished people would know the real her. Her maids and ladies in waiting would know and say that the real Princess Song Ji Hyo was a playful yet feisty woman whose deeds of kindness were heart warming. For example when the Princess was taking a stroll in the city sometimes she would bring back another maid. That was how all her maids were employed, the Princess having seen them on the street, begging for money to help support their families. 

They all remember the feeling when the Princess came up to them and said that they were going with her to the Palace. The feeling of joy that something good has finally happened to them, that their lives will change. They felt an immense sense of gratitude towards the Princess and her kindness for changing their lives for the better.

The Princess carried on walking, the breeze relaxing on her skin when she had the sudden sensation of a pair of eyes staring at her. She knew he was staring at her but pretended as if she didn't realise it. She relished the fact that she had caught his attention. From the corner of her eye she could see that he was staring at her, an expression of longing on his face. Her heart did a somersault  in her chest and her stomach felt as if butterflies had taken flight. He wanted her, it was clearly evident, but his sense of duty and loyalty towards the royal family seemed to be fighting his desires. She felt a little stabbing pain when he started to turn his head away from her direction, facing his training guards and shouting out orders with an angry tone to his voice. 

It was then that Princess Song Ji Hyo looked at him, giggling and smiling at his angry face with his hands on his hips. It seemed he was venting his frustrations on his guards again. She shook her head and carried on walking, ignoring her maids and ladies in waiting's confused expressions and the questions in their eyes. 

They had no clue that Princess Song Ji Hyo was in love with Military Commander Kim Jong Kook. And she would rather it stayed like that. This was her secret, something she would take to her grave. She wanted no-one to know of her forbidden love as it would endanger the Kingdom or worse the country. As she carried on the longing to be a normal woman with almost no status grew in her heart and mind, wishing she would be free to marry Military Commander Kim Jong Kook. She wondered if such a time would ever come when she would be a normal citizen of Korea. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay chapter three done. Hope you like it. Don't know why but it seems as if something is missing from here, so if you have any suggestions or improvements for me, I'll be more then happy to listen to them. Writing about real life people is hard.