Never Judge a Book By Its Cover

Unexpected Change

 

 

I was sleeping and sweetly dreaming when suddenly, a streak of light hit my face. Cursing, I covered my face with a pillow and once more I was sheltered from heat. I managed to smile a bit before sleeping again when suddenly, I felt myself swaying. No, not the relaxing kind of swaying, it’s the annoying one. I knew it’s my brother, and I hated him for doing that. Frowning, I sat up and swatted his arms away.

 

“Can’t you see I’m sleeping? What the heck do you want?!” I hollered, eyes half open but still full of anger.

 

Forgetting that he’s mute and mentally ill, I whacked his brutally and yelled at him, asking him to answer me. I was just about to grab him by his shirt when I heard mom’s voice sweetly saying she’s home. By that time, Suho, my brother, started crying madly and acting reckless. I tried calming him down by the “candy-bribing” and “threatening” technique, but it was of no use. I groaned in frustration because I knew that he got me into trouble again.

 

 “What’s wrong, sweetie?” Mom asked Suho with a trail of concern in her voice as she barged in my room without even knocking.

 

Suho wiped his tears and started pointing at me frantically. I just rolled my eyes and ruffled my hair in frustration. His tears streamed down again, and he started throwing tantrums—pulling his own hair wildly that mom had to ask my help in giving his medicine.

 

Fortunately, the medicine did its job quick that it took only five minutes (it’s not that I’m counting) to calm him. Mom then gave Suho a glass of water to drink, before telling Suho to just sit there and wait. Before I knew it, mom started dragging me forcefully outside the room where we will be out of Suho’s sight.

 

“What did you do to him this time, Byun Baekhyun?” Mom asked in a serious and barely audible tone.

 

I just shrugged and tried to walk out, when mom caught my arm. I glanced at her serious face before I lazily leaned on the wall.

 

“Don’t you dare disrespect me, baekhyun. Now, answer me!” This time, she shouted. And as of Suho, I took a glimpse of him scribbling in my old notebook again, oblivious of what was going on.

 

I sighed and told my mom the truth. Well, not really. I told her a part-true and part-lie statement. Well, I figured out that by mixing the truth to a lie, I would only be part lying. Lesser punishments will be given, if that’s the case. Don’t you agree?

 

“Well, I was peacefully sleeping when he suddenly shook me recklessly.”—true “I calmly told him to go back in his room, but he didn’t listen.”—lie “Then I sat up, and asked him what he wants,”—true “but he wouldn’t budge, so I just left him alone and was just about to sleep when he started hitting me and crying madly! And heck, I don’t even know why. I tried to calm him but then… poof! You arrived.”—lie.

 

Mom let go of my arm and sighed in frustration. I just stared at her blankly—part getting guilty and regretting, and part happy because I knew she wasn’t going to punish me. Mom shook her head and left without even saying a word. A second later, Suho came and kept pulling my shirt. I swatted his arms away and scolded him again.

 

“Go back there. Mom didn’t tell you to come over here.” I said, almost whispering—trying not to let mom hear.

 

But he just stood there, not moving for a few seconds. He took my alarm clock and pointed at it.

 

“What?” I said, not getting his point.

 

“So, what if it’s 7:30 already?”

 

Then he ran to my room again, opening my closet and getting my uniform. I stared at him, not getting what he really wants. He then pointed at my uniform then to the clock again.

 

This time, my eyes bulged as I finally got his point.

 

Not even saying a “thanks” or “good bye” to my family, I placed all my needed stuff in my unkempt bag and rushed to the nearest bus stop and headed to the ice cream shop to work. When I reached the place, there were only a few people around, and I silently thanked God for that. Panting, I greeted my co-worker Sehun “good morning”, and he just laughed at me.

 

“What?” I asked him, a bit laughing too, but a bit annoyed.

 

“Hmm… let’th sthee…you woke up late today ‘cauthe you forgot today ith Wednethday and not Thunday, right?” He asked while giggling.

 

I grinned shyly and rubbed my nape.

 

“Y-Yeah” I managed to mutter without even looking at the latter who’s still giggling.

 

“You didn’t even eat breakfastht huh” Then he slipped a burger in my bag and winked. I playfully winked back and we both laughed at ourselves.

 

“You’re tho forgetful Baek but anyway, I’d like to congratulate you ‘cauthe manager Krith isn’t here.” He said smiling.

 

I smiled back before going to the comfort room to wear my endearing uniform with lots of ice cream drawings in it and letterings saying:

 

 

 

 

            I checked my reflection in the mirror—fixed my eye liner, fixed the little bow in my neck, combed my hair properly, wore my name tag, and etc. When I was done, I sighed and before leaving the room, I said, “plastic mode again” and then went out with a smile plastered in my face.

 

            Shortly, a girl and 2 boys came in. One boy has a bun face while the other has some doe-like features. The girl with them was really pretty. And I can’t help feeling a bit jealous because… well, I admit that she’s, uh, prettier than me, and omg her arms are link with the cute, but still hot, doe man.

 

I could have just put on a blank expression, or maybe a slight frown. But as part of my job, I have to greet them warmly with a smile.

 

            “Hello and welcome to Lé Ice Cream Shop! What’s yah owrder?” I asked them in my best English.

 

            “Uhm… a strawberry flavored one please.” The pretty girl said in a flirty way.

 

            “Well, give me a mango flavored ice cream, and as well as a chocolate flavored one, please~~” The bun man said childishly as he hopped in place like an idiot.

 

“Coffee” The doe man plainly said as he rummaged something in his duffel bag.

 

I punched in their orders in the computer and gave them their ice creams with, of course, a smile. I bid them good bye and before they got any further, I overheard the bun man.

“Hey Luhan, why’s your sister here?” The bun man said to the doe man as he pointed to the girl beside the latter.

 

My mouth formed that ‘O’ sign before coming to a conclusion:

 

“Never judge a book by its cover”

 

I thought of my brother (yeah, I know that I’m so random). By just one look, you could say that he’s dumb and useless—a burden to the family, if I’d be ruder. No one would probably ever think that he’s my savior— the one waking me up early everyday, preventing me from getting scolded by the manager.

 

For a while, I felt a pang of guilt inside me. But as Byun Baekhyun, I just shrugged it off immediately, and went to entertain another costumer.

 

***

 

Looking at the shop’s clock, there were only 5 minutes left till we close. Sehun insisted on cleaning the whole shop today (since he said that he wants to burn some fats). So, I was just there in the counter—sitting and staring at the glass door, waiting for no one in particular.

 

Then I saw this man standing right in front of the shop. He’s tall, and he wore this simple white shirt and jeans that perfectly suits him. And even if he wore simple clothes, he still looks handsome with it, really. He was staring back at me from the outside of the shop. And although he has that handsome face, I don’t know why but he still somehow sent me chills, so I stood up and approached Sehun.

 

“Dude, is there something wrong with my face?” I asked him. He looked at me with that expression like I was someone crazy asking him if he was crazy too. But after a few seconds he shook his head in response to my earlier question.

 

“Well, you might think I’m crazy but…uh, do you think that cute…“—cough— “…guy outside wearing that… that white shirt is staring at me?” I asked Sehun again, a bit cautious this time, as I pointed outside.

 

He looked at the direction where I was pointing and laughed. “Nah, I don’t think tho. I bet he’th already married. And dude, you theriously need glasseth.” He said while grinning and patting my shoulder.

 

I furrowed my brow, and turned to look at the direction to where I was pointing, and saw a different man selling some cheap accessories. I rolled my eyes and sighed in frustration. I went back to the counter again, and buried my face in my palm. “He must have been my imagination,” I thought.

 

I hadn’t realized that we’ll be closing the shop a minute from now. Upon realizing, I decided to just forget about the cute man, and start fixing my stuff.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author’s note: Now, there goes chapter one. So, how did it go? Thank you for reading! :) Please don’t forget that comments and subscription are highly appreciated. You’ll be more blessed by God :) hiihiiii

 

 

God Bless you :)