Angel: Human Edition (#1)

( — layout, writing and graphic contest)

 

 

I LOVE YOU, BANG JIAE
 

"She's so beautiful," I murmured, looking at the moving figure in my iPad. 

 

What? Surprised guardian angels have iPads? 

 

Alright, hold up. Let's not get too carried away here. Let's all start by handing out cookies- 

 

I'm kidding. I'm Park Chanyeol, Guardian Angel on a planet called EXO. Yes, there is such a thing, and also yes, I would appreciate if you stop rolling your eyes disbelievingly.

 

So, what do we guard? No, it's not our planet. Kris hyung will have to kill me first before he lets me guard this planet.

 

We guard girls. Teenage girls of our same age of course, as the guardian girls guard boys. We mostly protect them from harm, but we also focus on love.

 

We're supposed to protect them from boys that hurt our girl emotionally, or vice versa.

 

Cheesy, I know, but I'm enjoying who I'm guarding right now.

 

And, speaking of her.

 

I stared more intently on my iPad, chuckling as she jumped in fright from watching a scary movie. 

 

And no, I'm not some crazy stalker, I promise.

 

"Hyung!" a voice called out which made me jump to Jupiter.

 

Kai came in the living room, holding two ice creams. He handed one to me and I took it gratefully.

 

Hey, who says no to free ice cream?

 

Kai plopped down beside me on the couch, eating his ice cream happily.

 

"Stalking again hyung?" Kai asked mischievously, grinning slyly. I punched him in the shoulder and glared at him.

 

"I am not stalking Bang Jiae," I stated firmly as Kai rolled his eyes at my behavior.

 

Oh, and Bang Jiae is the name of the beautiful girl I'm guarding.

 

"Uh huh, right. Anyways, Baekhyun hyung wants us to go to the kitchen, he says it's important," Kai said urgently, finishing his ice cream in one whole bite. I sighed and nodded, standing up as so did Kai.

 

I guess I'll have to watch my angel later.

 

~.~

 

"WHAT?!" All of us exclaimed in a mix of surprise, anger and excitement. 

 

Xiumin calmly sipped his cup of tea, his pinky pointed out.

 

"Yah! Stop sipping your tea like your Queen Elizabeth!" Lay scolded, grabbing Xiumin's tea and handing it over to Tao who whimpered a bit, but drained the cup in the sink.

 

"Well, I actually agree with Xiumin for once," Luhan said in a wise tone.

 

"You always agree with Xiumin,"

 

"Shut up Chen,"

 

"Anyways, I also agree with Xiumin. We haven't done anything rebellious yet, and I want to explore earth," Kris said casually.

 

I stopped my cry of happiness when Kris mentioned earth. Maybe I could meet my Jiae! Oh, I wish I could.

 

I could finally talk to her, smile with her, hug her and,

 

Tell her I'm in love with her.

 

It kind of to be in love with the girl you're protecting, but I'll tell you the reason later. 

 

"It sounds like a good idea, and we can knock out Jonghyun and the other guards with our powers," Sehun suggested from on top of the counter. 

 

"I agree to everything he says. Everyone who wants to earth out your hands up!" D.O exclaimed excitedly as we raised our hands. Sehun clapped in happiness as we chuckled at the maknae.

 

"Okay, so how are we going to do this?" Baekhyun asked curiously, rubbing his hands together in anticipation. We all turned to Suho who had a mischievous grin on his face.

 

I knew one of our leaders would have a plan.

 

Thank you Suho and your great mind. 

 

"Well first, we obviously have to knock out SHINee, the eternal guards or whatever you call them nowadays. After that, we take matter in our own hands. Right Kris?" Suho asked Kris playfully as Kris held out the keys.

 

I recognize those keys. It was the key to the largest spaceship here in EXOplanet. 

 

"There's always an advantage when you're trusted by that banana milk loving child. Let's go!" Kris cheered as we all chorused.

 

I rubbed my hands together as Kris opened the roof with a push of a button. I ruffled up my wings and extended them. We were going to fly.

 

"On your mark, set, go!" Kai whistled using his fingers as we took off silently in the night. We soared through the cloudless skies, under the stars and moons. I've always thought that EXOplanet's view was pretty.

 

But that changed when I saw Jiae. I chuckled to myself.

 

Me, Park Chanyeol, loony over one ordinary girl. 

 

"Yo Yeol! Hurry up! Jonghyun has spotted us!" Xiumin called from in front of me as I shook my head. I nodded and sped up my pace. We flew in a single, Kris leading us to his spaceship. We quickly found it, covered by leaves and vines. We descended on top of it as Kris worked the engine. Most of us scrambled to tear the leaves away.

 

"Damned leaves! Stop falling for this spaceship! You and it won't happen!" I heard Baekhyun roar as I laughed aloud, helping as much as I can. As soon as the spaceships were clear of leaves and vines, we jumped in as Kris turned the engine on.

 

I saw Jonghyun and the rest of SHINee fly towards as I saluted them happily.

 

"Adios muchachos!" I called out before Kris closed us in the spaceship, stomping on the accelerator. We shot through the sky like a bullet as I clutched Chen's seat to keep from falling down. 

 

Jiae, here I come. 

 

~.~

 

“Kris, can you tell me something honestly?” I heard Suho ask Kris calmly who was currently behind the wheel, and also currently leading us to our deaths.

 

“What?” Kris replied crabbily, trying to take control of the spaceship.

 

“Did you or did you not PASS YOUR FLYING EXAM?!” Suho roared as Kris swerved to right and then left in shock.

 

“Do you want us to die?! OF COURSE I HAVEN’T! That bloody instructor said I couldn’t fly for my life!”

 

“Well guess what?! HE’S RIGHT, YOU INSUFFERABLE DRAGON!” Tao shouted from somewhere in the back, and we were momentarily stunned that the maknae has spoken back to the dragon leader.

 

Yeah, Kris can turn into a dragon, but let’s not tempt him to do that now.

 

“Chen! Take the wheel!” Suho ordered as I saw Chen struggle towards the driver’s seat.

 

“Move, duizhang,” Chen grumbled, pushing Kris to the floor as he took the wheel. The spaceship swerved a bit as Chen guided it, but soon was flying in a straight pace, unlike Kris’ death pace.

 

“This is your captain speaking, and welcome to EXO Airlines. We will be arriving shortly to earth in about fifteen minutes, and go in a perfect dive, landing in what they call a ‘park’ So please take your respective seats and enjoy the ride,” Chen spoke leisurely on the microphone that broadcasted throughout the spaceship.

 

We all chuckled at his weird humor and finally took a calm seat. Suho directed the clean and purified water to our cups as we drank it. Kris got up from the floor and sat down sulkily, facing away from everyone.

 

“Okay, what should we do when we get to earth?” Luhan asked excitedly, standing up so everyone can see him.

 

“I know! We should visit Chanyeol hyung’s girl! He has been wishing to see her in real life all the time you know. He even watches her on his iPad. Kind of stalkerish, I kn- OW!”

 

“You were not supposed to reveal that, Kai!” I scolded as I watched in satisfaction as Kai rubbed his bruised shoulder, pouting.

 

“Okay then! We’ll visit Chanyeol’s girl, then we can all go to places! I’ve hard about ‘arcades’ and ‘shopping malls’ and I really want to see the human’s get up attire.” Luhan smiled dreamily as he clasped his hands together in happiness. I snorted at my hyung.

 

He and Xiumin should really get together. They both love shopping and soccer, so why not?

 

“Fasten your seatbelts guys! We’re going in for a dive!” Chen shouted, and a moment too soon, we spiraled down to Earth. Luhan stood in perfect balance as we all tried to clutch on something or someone to keep us falling from our chairs.

 

“Dude, how do you do that?!” Sehun asked as he passed by Luhan, his chair spinning. Luhan laughed and shrugged.

 

“I guess I’m perfect,”

 

“In your dreams, Luhannie. Sit down before you get hurt!” Xiumin warned as Luhan pouted, sitting down beside Xiumin. After a few more minutes of spinning around and bumping into each other, we finally felt the ground. Chen’s dive was not perfect, but if it was Kris behind the wheel…let’s not go there.

 

“Alright, everyone out! And duizhang, don’t beat yourself up.” Chen grinned cheekily at the irritated looking Kris.

 

We jumped out of our spaceship, carefully tucking our wings in. It was early morning, so no one was out yet. Once all of us were out, we quickly disguised the spaceship by putting leaves on it.

 

“I’m sorry leaves, you and spaceship can be together now,” I heard Baekhyun say apologetically as I stared at him weirdly.

 

“Okay Yeol, where to?” Suho asked happily, clapping me on the shoulder.

 

“I know where Jiae lives, so I guess it’ll be a short trip. Chen landed the ship near her house, so it won’t be a long walk. Come on.” I started leading the whole of EXO towards Jiae’s house, and honestly, I felt great.

 

It was the first time I led EXO. It’s usually Kris or Suho, and occasionally Luhan and Xiumin in front as I stuck towards the back. But now here I am, in front and the leader. Of course Kris and Suho hovered protectively behind me, but I was alone in the front. So this is what it feels like to be the leader.

 

I didn’t like it much, because the burden is on my shoulders now, but it also felt kind of great.

 

After a few more minutes of bickering, complaining and whining, we finally got to Jiae’s house. It was not that big, and it only has two stories, but even then, it looked cozy and welcoming.

 

I then had an idea.

 

“Guys! Formation 21! I want to surprise Jiae!” I suggested as they all groaned. We hated Formation 21, but it had to be done.

 

“Fine, everyone to positions,” Suho said exasperatedly. Xiumin and Tao were on the bottom; their hands clasped together cheerleading style. Then, Sehun and Luhan stood on their shoulders. After them were Kris and Suho, and after them were Baekhyun and Chen.

 

D.O and Kai stood in front of Xiumin and Tao and clasped their hands together. They will be my launching pad. I stood five feet away from them before running full speed. I stepped on D.O and Kai’s palms as they threw me to Sehun and Luhan. They caught me in time and pushed me up until I got to Baekhyun and Chen. They stood by the open window and threw me in before the human twin tower collapsed.

 

“Are you guys okay?!” I asked worriedly as I stuck my head out the window, seeing the guys on top of each other. Kris gave a thumbs up.

 

“We’re good! Go get her!”

 

“I will duizhang!”

 

“Who the heck are you?!”

 

“Ah!”


”AH!” The voice I wanted to hear all my life in real life shouted back at me as she scrambled to the corner of her bed, clutching her pink blanket tightly. She looked scared as I placed myself opposite of her, on the far end of her comfy bed.

 

“I’m Chanyeol, and you’re Bang Jiae, right?” I asked nervously as she nodded.

 

“Great! Now let’s go!” I tried to take her hand, but I did the wrong thing, cause next thing I knew, her fist was on my left cheek, punching it.

 

“Ow!” I screamed as I grabbed my jaw, looking bewildered at Jiae who still looked frightened, but a bit more apologetic this time.

 

I tried to find my anger, but all I felt was admiration.

 

Bang Jiae was pretty, cute and strong.

 

No wonder I fell for her.


”I’m sorry if I scared you, but I’m seriously a good guy. I’m not kidnapping you, I promise! I just want to show you something that I’ve wanted to show ever since I was entrusted to be your guardian angel. Will you come with me? Please? I promise I won’t hurt you.” I extended my hand out to her as she looked at it for a moment then back at me.

 

Oh come on, don’t give me those cute, doe-like eyes.

 

“Promise that you won’t hurt me?” She asked meekly as I nodded in affirmation. Why would I hurt the love of my life?

 

“I promise,”

 

She then took my hand and stood up from the bed, going near me. I flinched as her cold hands touched the spot where she punched me.

 

“It doesn’t hurt, really,” I assured her, smiling. She giggled and nodded cutely.

 

Awwww.

 

“Show me now what you want to show me!” she exclaimed happily as I laughed, nodding. I was careful to hold her hand as I led her to the window.

 

“EXO! Formation: Catch Falling Love of My Life! Go! And Jiae?” I asked Jiae as she looked shocked.

 

“Y-yeah?”

 

“Don’t call the police. LAND SAFELY!” I called out as I held her up bridal style before throwing her out the window. I leaned an ear to the window, and sure enough, her terrified scream was heard.

 

“Ah, music. Guys, catch me!” I yelled down before jumping on the ground.

 

I waited for soft hands to catch me, but instead, I barreled Baekhyun on the earth, him coughing as I rubbed my back.

 

“I told you guys to catch me!” I whined at them as they all shrugged.

 

“You didn’t say any Formation number. And besides you’re heavy,”

 

“And DEAD if you don’t get off me, Park Chanyeol!” Baekhyun continued Suho’s sentence as Sehun laughed aloud. I got off Baekhyun and looked around for Jiae. She was chatting with Kai, and a wave of jealousy erupted in me.

 

No one gets my girl.

 

“Tao, please set get the blue box in the spaceship. It’s on the driver’s seat,” I instructed as Tao nodded obediently. He dashed towards the ship and came out holding a big blue box. He gave to me as I nodded in thanks.

 

“Jiae, come here,” I told her as she stopped talking with Kai. She looked curious as she peered at the box warily.

 

“What’s in it?” She asked expectantly, touching the opening gingerly. I stooped down to her level, since she was sitting and tilted her chin upwards.

 

“Open it,” I whispered as she grinned. She ripped open the box and gasped. Goodies fell out of her box and she immediately squealed.

 

“This is the Panda pillow I’ve been wanting ever since! Oh, and the last volume of Naruto! Oh my gosh…how’d you get this picture of my grandma? Her house burned down, and everything went with it,” she explained as I felt someone hit me behind the head.

 

“Ow!”

 

“You’ve been to earth, and you haven’t told us?!” D.O scolded as I grinned sheepishly.

 

“I recovered it after it burned down. Do you like it?” I asked curiously as she let go of all the goodies and jumped on me, hugging me tightly. I hugged her back, glad that she was happy.

 

“I love you, Bang Jiae.” I finally confessed my heart beating too fast.

 

“We’ll leave you two alone.”

 

“But hyung-“

 

“NO BUTS! Let’s go.” Kris ushered the guys out of the park, leaving me with Jiae. I hugged her tightly one more time before letting her go, staring at her lovingly.

 

“So Jiae, I was thinking you could show me around-“

 

“I don’t love you, Chanyeol,” she whispered, but I caught it. Almost everything stopped. The rustling of the leaves in the wind, the kids playing nearby and the earth’s rotation.

 

The only sound that was heard was the pieces of my heart cracked into a million pieces.

 

“W-What? But-“

 

“Chanyeol, I have a boyfriend. I love him very-“

 

“He doesn’t love you Jiae! That’s why I was entrusted to be your guardian! To keep you away from him! He doesn’t love you the way you do!” I shouted angrily, standing up as Jiae did so in fright. She tried to touch my arm, but I yanked it back.

 

It was too hard to bear.

 

Jiae so close yet so far, and above all, losing her to that idiot.

 

“For your information, Jung Daehyun loves me!” Jiae defended, but her voice sounded weak.

 

Do you hear yourself?! When was the last time Daehyun said ‘I love you’ to you? When was the last time he spent a day with you?!” I questioned, already knowing the answers. Her lower lip trembled as tears started pouring down from her saddened eyes.

 

“He’s just busy with school, okay? H-he-“

 

“You can’t even find the right excuses for him. Listen to me and look at me Ji,” I took her hands in mine and looked at her right in the eye, “I can treat you better. I can make you feel happier, and most of all, I can love you better. I’ve loved you for so long, and don’t you know how much it hurts for someone to confess to their loved one, knowing that their heart was already taken?” I asked desperately as I hung my head.

 

“Please. Just give me a chance, and I’ll-“

 

“I LOVE YOU!” she suddenly shouted as I looked up, my eyes widening as my frown turned into a smile.

 

“You do?! Your really do?! I love you too!” I shouted happily, hugging her again tightly.

 

Finally, she was mine.

 

Then, I felt pressure on my shoulder as I was yanked back from my Jiae.

 

“Hey, who the hell are you?” I asked rudely at the silky blonde boy who slung an arm around Jiae.

 

“Her boyfriend. And as a boyfriend, I think that my prey should never stray away from me. Right?” Daehyun demanded Jiae forcefully as she nodded, clutching Daehyun’s hand.

 

“But-“

 

“Bye, loser!” Daehyun shoved me away before walking away with my Jiae. I looked at their retreating backs. I put a hand on my heart and felt the beat slow down. It was time.

 

I collapsed on the floor, but not before I felt a pair of soft hands on my back. It was Baekhyun’s hands.

 

“Hyung, did you get her yet? Where is he?” I heard him ask wearily as EXO crowded me.

 

“Tell me you didn’t-“

 

“I confessed to her, Luhan hyung. I failed my job. She’s going to get hurt by Daehyun,” I explained briefly as I heard Baekhyun sniffle.

 

“No hyung, you’re going to live. You’re going to be alive. You don’t really love her. If you do, just get her! She’ll love you, I promise!”

 

“No, Baekhyun. I promised I won’t hurt her. I could treat her better, but Daehyun got to her first. She loves him truly, but he doesn’t love her back. I failed in protecting her.” My eyes started to close, but I fought to keep them open.

 

I have to say my last goodbyes, right?

 

An angel dies when they fail to protect who they were guarding from emotional pain. I looked at the goodies spilled on the floor as a tear made its way out of my eye.

 

“Kris hyung, practice flying the ship, okay?” I told Kris who nodded in shock.

 

“Suho hyung, take care of the members with D.O hyung, alright?” I told the two as they nodded tearfully.

 

“Xiumin and Luhan hyung, I hope you guys go shopping in the future. I know you’ll love the mall.” I forced my smile at my two hyungs who were tearing up silently.

 

“Chen and Lay hyung, don’t bully the maknaes too much. Let them play, okay?” I told the two as they blinked rapidly to stop their tears, nodding.

 

“Tao and Sehun, don’t be too rowdy, alright? Give hyungs rest, because they badly need it.” I smiled at them as they nodded determinedly, but they were also crying.

 

“Kai…you’ve been a great friend to me, and I hope you live a good life. Listen to your hyungs and grow up to be a good boy, alright? Because hyung won’t be here to m-mentor you anymore,” my voice cracked as I looked at Kai’s tear stained face. He let out a sob and leaned on D.O’s shoulders.

 

“Baekhyun-“

 

“No! You’re not going to die! I won’t let it! Suho hyung! Kris hyung! Do something!”

 

“Baekhyun, please listen to me.” I started to tear up as I saw Baekhyun’s heart broken expression.

 

“You were the closest friend I had on EXOplanet, along with the guys. Please take care of yourself, and always eat your breakfast, okay? You always skip them. Don’t forget to fix your bed everyday, okay? Exercise daily, so that you’ll be in shape. Don’t eat too much bacon,” I advised as Baekhyun continued sobbing.

 

I turned my eyes to the ray of light that came from the early sun.

 

“I love you all. I love you Baekhyun. I…love you Jiae. Stay safe.”

 

I closed my eyes and felt freedom as I drifted upwards, to the light.