finite break 1: my best friend's brother

The Telltale Burn Book

title literally means what it says, this is a finite break you guuuys! you can take a minute to relax from finite's douchiness (is that a word idek) and pick up the story from where it last ended in myungyeols pov hollas [ps spring break is great and it's like 12:48 am rn so]

“Sunggyu! SUNGGYU I SWEAR if you don’t open the door this minute I’ll just…I don’t know what I’ll do but honestly I’m going to do something!”

                When he didn’t seem to be getting any sort of reaction, Sungyeol groaned against the door and threw his head back. He’d been here for how long again? Fifteen minutes or so, knocking and banging but nobody seemed to want to open the damn door for him.

                And the question always came back to him about why he was here and that was an easy question, because his best ing friend just told the entirety of the school that his little brother was Kim Myungsoo, resident loner and basically the creepiest person in the school.

                But why was he so insistent on getting deep into it about this?

                “Because we’ve been best friends for the past ing four years,” Sungyeol spat out to himself, answering his own question. “I have a right to know why he hasn’t told me the biggest thing in his life. What the hell kind of friend is he…ugh.”

                Giving himself a minute break, Sungyeol got back up to ring the doorbell. “Sunggyu you piece of , if you don’t show up I swear I’ll do something…”

                There were a few moments in between until the door finally clicked open, and Sungyeol was so ready to push himself in if not for the person who had opened it.

                “Uh…”

                And right there, in blood and flesh, was Kim Myungsoo himself.

                His skin’s not even that nice, Sungyeol sneered in his mind. Oh who was he kidding, Myungsoo’s skin looked like it was imported from Heaven.

                “I don’t think there’s anyone here you need,” Myungsoo glowered, looking over at Sungyeol with lazy eyes. “Sunggyu and my parents went out to eat.”

                Sungyeol’s mind was working on overdrive (was it obvious that he didn’t think much on a regular basis?) and he made sure to stop the door before Myungsoo shut it close again.

                “Wait –“

                “Wait what, I’m tired and I wanna go back to bed.”

                “I…wait, you’re Myungsoo, right?”

                Sungyeol felt desperate for conversation, and for some ing reason he didn’t know why. It was just a nagging feeling in his mind that he could only respond with to get closer with Sunggyu.

                (But to be frankly honest, he didn’t care that much about what Sunggyu thought about him. If he did, the parties and late nights would’ve ended years ago. He was just trying so, so hard not to let the feelings that nearly ruined their friendship months ago rise up again.)

                “Yeah,” Myungsoo answered in the most tired, obvious voice Sungyeol had heard in a while. “And you’re that ed up kid that beat up the girl in class, now are all introductions completed?”

                “I didn’t beat her up –“

                “Well she did get hurt and that’s pretty much –“

                “I was standing up for your brother!” Sungyeol interrupted, frustrated as hell. He didn’t get what this guy’s problem was, it wasn’t like he was intentionally doing anything wrong and –

                Oh.

                Sungyeol watched as Myungsoo’s face slowly fell at the mention of his older brother and his daily hidden insecurities. Sensitive topics are and will always be sensitive topics, and nobody knew that better than Sungyeol.

                “Thanks,” Myungsoo muttered, raising his eyebrows with his eyes pasted to the ground. “I’m sure Sunggyu appreciated that a lot.”

                “It’s not about what Sunggyu appreciates, it’s about the extent that I go for him. Why are you acting like I committed some huge- crime for, all I did was say a few words – the truth – and now I just wanna get to know you. I’m sorry I’m disturbing your nap or whatever, but I already caused Sunggyu enough pain to last the next century and a half and maybe, just maybe, trying to get to know his little brother that he kept locked up in some antisocial glass case would make it up to him!”

                “That’s not very nice,” Myungsoo swallowed, his fingers numbly clutching on the doorway.

                “I never said I was nice.”

                “Well I never said I’d let you in.”

                “I’ve already been inside your house, you ,” Sungyeol rolled his eyes. “I go here, like, every week – hey, wait!”

                “What, have you finally realized that you left your brains at home?”

                Sungyeol stood up straight, a finger pointing at Myungsoo and directly into the house. “I’ve literally been into this house every week. How the hell did I not realize – you do have your own room, right? That means that there has to be a room I haven’t been in, and I’ve been throughout the entire house already, there’s no way…”

                Myungsoo sighed exasperatedly, wondering if he should save Sungyeol from using up all the minimal amount of brainpower the older possessed. “I sleep in the attic.”

                “ – and if there’s three bedrooms and one’s a guest room, do you use that – wait, what? Attic?”

                “Yeah, you know that big room on top of the house –“

                “I know what an attic is.”

                “Then why’d you ask?”

                “I wasn’t asking what an attic was, I was just wondering why you live in the attic –“

                “Because it’s big and comfortable, okay?” Myungsoo’s fingers pressed against the side of the door, obvious frustration seeping from his pores. “Do you have any other questions I don’t want to answer?”

                “Yeah, how the heck do you live in an attic –“

                Groaning, Myungsoo grabbed his brother’s best friend’s wrist, pulling him into the house and shutting the door.

 

“This,” Myungsoo said in the most bored voice he could manage to muster, “is how you sleep in an attic.”

                It was a large, one-room space covered by wood. There was a queen sized bed in the corner with pure white sheets mussed around and, beside it, a black desk with a cream colored chair.

                Myungsoo yawned, walking back over to his bed and sitting down on it. “Wanna leave now?”

                “Are those yours?” Sungyeol asked as if he hadn’t heard the younger’s request. He was walking to the wall adjacent to the bed where, tacked in an organized manner, were large, clear pictures lined up one behind the other.

                “It’s a hobby,” Myungsoo answered darkly. “Sunggyu got me a camera a few years back.”

                “These are so nice…”

                “Yeah, well, I don’t usually tend myself to party after party and have drunk in every corner of any house, so I kinda have time for this stuff.”

                “Is that what you think I do?”

                “Isn’t that what you do?”

                Sungyeol stopped himself from snapping a rude reply, instead putting his hands into his jean pockets and turning around to face Myungsoo, who had now moved his legs up so that they were crossed and his entire body was on the bed.

                “Look –“

                “I take photographs, you underage drink. It’s almost the same thing.”

                “I don’t –“

                “Don’t tell me you don’t, me and Sunggyu talk a lot more than you’d think we do.”

                “Sunggyu doesn’t know anything about me anymore!” Sungyeol hissed out, moving forward and removing his hands from his pocket. “He doesn’t go to anymore events, he doesn’t answer invite texts, he blows me off for everything except Sunday breakfasts at his house which, I’ve been meaning to ask why, I haven’t seen you at any of them!”

                “Because I sleep in!” Myungsoo retorted back angrily. “And have you thought it’s because he’s found a better pathway in life? Because maybe befriending people like you was what led him to his teenage downfall –“

                “The only thing I ever kept him from doing was ing that stupid Nam Woohyun kid –“

                “Maybe he liked that ‘stupid Nam Woohyun’ kid and maybe he had feelings for him that he had to hide and couldn’t let back, and it was all because of ing s like you who wouldn’t let him be with who he liked –“

                “He’s not allowed to be with who he likes!”

                “And why’s that?” Myungsoo was turning quieter, staring Sungyeol in the eye. “Maybe this is why Sunggyu doesn’t want to accompany you on your weekly escapades to STD Central.”

                “I told him,” Sungyeol began slowly, “a few months ago who I liked. I told him that I had someone in mind, someone that I thought was pretty ing adorable beside the fact that he sat in the corner like some depressed loner. Someone that I could maybe get to know, and maybe he’d get to know me and misunderstandings wouldn’t happen. And you know what your ing brother told me? He said to let go of it. That it wasn’t possible, and that the guy I liked wouldn’t even dare to utter two words to my face. And that hurt, it hurt a lot, and maybe I act more like a douchebag than I need to be when I’m stopping him from having a happy ending with Nam Woohyun, but he needs to feel how ing painful it is. He’s still my best friend and I love him to the ends of this messed up world, but he was wrong about what he said and I didn’t understand until now why he said that. But I’m doing best to make up for lost time, and you’re not making this any easier for me.”

                “How do you know Sunggyu wasn’t right, huh? How do you know that the kid you were ‘hopelessly crushing’ on would rather hide himself in a cocoon and be some selective mute than to speak to you?”

                “Because he’s talking to me right now. ”

                

 

the thing is i write pretty randomly and on the spot so ya know outlining's not really a thing, and anyways i had an entire different approach for this when i started the chapter way back when and it just flew to here cos ya know ahaha haha idek why either but yeah it did and if the beginning and ending dont seem to match up, that's most likely the reason why. i tried to fix it but naaah that didnt go exactly as planned

anyways that was like 1k long whoa there hello

and now my 's in pain cos ive been sitting in this spot literally for the past eh maybe seven hours or so yeah seven and well yeah thats about it

if y'alls are confused, just shoot me as many questions as you'd like. im open to try to make sense of this story too lmao

next chapter will go back to finite! the next finite break (which probably wont be for a while) will most likely focus on another couuuuple hehe hoho (im thinking hwajong or yadong in my mind but let's see how that turns out lmao)

[[cc:2]]