Prologue

Tell Me Your Wish

"Happy birthday, Ji Eun! I can't believe you're sixteen already! My baby girl is growing up so fast." My dad hugged me and gave me a small rectangular box. "This is for you. I hope you like it."

"Daddy, it's from you. Of course I'll like it!" I opened the box, and the most beautiful diamond covered star necklace glittered in the sunlight. "Oh, Daddy, it's beautiful!" I gasped as I pulled it out of the box.

"Here, let me help you put it on." He gathered my long, brown curled hair and pulled it to the side. "I saw it and thought of you. I want you to think of your biggest wish whenever you look at it."

"Thank you, Daddy. I love it. I love you." I hugged him again after he clasped it on. 

"Now go. You need to get ready to go with your friends." I was pushed toward my room.

I rested my head outside my door, and watched my dad for a minute. He noticed my gaze and he shooed me on, so I flashed him a smile.

My dad is starting to get older. He's already in his fifties. I worry about him sometimes. He's always working really hard so he give me everything I want, even though I don't ask for much. I am happy living here with my dad. He's all I need. 

My mom left when I was just a week old. I don't know why, neither does my dad. She just up and left one night without a word. Sixteen years later, and I haven't heard from her once. I don't even know if she cares or remembers that today is my birthday. Not that I care. I could care less where she is. Why should I, anyways?

 

"What's up with your necklace...?" My friend, MinYoung, asked slowly. I looked down and saw it was glowing a light blue-ish. 

"I have no idea. It's pretty though!" I laughed. "Hey, I'd better get home. I had fun today, thanks you guys." I smiled at the three friends who were left. "See you guys the day after tomorrow, right?"

 

One Year Later

"Why are you glowing again?" I poked the necklace that was hanging around my neck. "Every night at nine pm for the past year you have glowed for ten minutes straight. What's up with that? Huh? Is there a little person living in there, doing chemestry, or something?" 

I'm not strange. I'm just talking to my glowing necklace. 

"You really have got to stop gl--" There was a sudden poof that made me stop in my tracks. "What the heck just happened? Eh. At least the necklace stopped glowing. Now I can go to sleep without having to blocking the blue light." I curled up without the slightest bit of concern and fell asleep. 

 

One Year Later

"What? So it's been a year since you last glowed, and now you decide to glow again? What's up with that?"

"Ji Eun? Who are you talking to?" My dad called from outside my door.

"Um...I'm on the phone?" 

"Nice try. Can I come in?"

"Sure..." I ran and grabbed the necklace so he wouldn't see it glowing.

"Now, tell your old father who you were talking to." He eyed my hand.

"Fine. You caught me." I opened my hand and showed him the necklace. "This has-- DADDY!!" I ran to my dad who just cluched his chest and fainted. "I'll call an ambulace. Daddy, it'll be ok."  I threw the necklace onto my bed and called 911.

Shortly after, the ambulance came. I wasn't allowed to go with my dad, so I stayed behind and was going to meet him there in a little while. 

I watched the ambulance drive off until I couldn't see it anymore. I turned around to go side, and standing on the sidewalk behind me, was almost a foot taller than me. 

"W-who are you?"