Chapter 3: The Calm

Memories

 

Years pass as our friendship grew stronger and stronger. When we transition into junior high, our nicknames are of a norm to us. Of course we love each other like sisters and being associated with each other is perfectly normal.

 

We grew conscious of our appearance but I was conscious of mine earlier than Yuri. Maybe because of her kkap-ness that she is a little bit late in blooming but I forced her to bloom with me. I can see that she was reluctant at first but soon she became interested when she found her own styles. Our differences are once again brought out by our clothing preferences.

 

I on one hand would prefer beautiful dresses, frills and for two piece clothing I would prefer matching styles. Generally all my clothes give out classy and elegant feeling. Meanwhile Yuri on the other hand would prefer comfortable t-shirts, v-necks, tight jeans, jackets, cardigan and during occasions she would wear dresses. Generally her clothes give out cool and mysterious feeling.

 

Over the years I could only shop comfortably with Yuri. Even though there are friends whom I think their taste is great too but being the straight forward me they would think I’m criticizing them when I was genuinely just speaking my mind. Those years were hard. I learned it the hard way when I neglect Yuri’s advice. I lose some good friends and also gained some.

 

I was the happiest 16 years old girl by having a great family, a lovely best friend, a bunch of wonderful friends to hang out with and on top of all that good grades for my bright future. Nothing could ever go wrong. Everything went on great or so I thought until a series of events happened.

 

“I don’t think we should do this Yuri! What if our parents found out?!”

 

“Don’t worry they won’t! You know how they trust us.”

 

“That’s exactly why we shouldn’t right?!”

 

“Aww come on Sica~ live a little~ aren’t you curious too?” she used her puppy dog eyes to convince me.

 

“*sigh* alright… but just this once!”

 

“Assa! Alright!”

 

That day Yuri’s parents had to go for a sudden visit to their relative out of the city and stay for the night. Apparently their uncle suddenly got admitted into the hospital but he was alright. Not wanting their kids to miss school Yuri’s parents left their kids with their friends. Her brother went for a sleepover at his best friend’s place and more than gladly my parents let Yuri sleep over at our place.

 

Yuri had convinced me to sneak out with her back to her home to drink a bottle of soju with her. She had been curious all the while regarding the taste and effects of alcohol but her parents just wouldn’t let her try it because she is under-aged. One thing about Yuri is when her mind is set to do something she just does it no matter how stupid it is. I intend to be there to stop her when she goes overboard.

 

“Ewwww… taste bad~”

 

“Alright now can we go?”

 

“Come on Sica taste it…” Reluctantly I took a shot and yes it taste really bad.

 

“Oh my God what does my parents see in this that they can drink bottle after bottle?”

 

“Exactly my thoughts! But I feel really hot inside now. It’s burning my throat. Help me check if it’s on fire?” She said and opens up wide.

 

“Hahaha!! Pabo!! If it’s on fire you would have been dead now.”

 

“Hahaha!! You’re right. Hahaha!! but Sica!! Your face is seriously red now!!”

 

“What?! Hahaha!! Look at yourself before you talk baboon face!!”

 

We kept laughing at each other without any reason to be laughing. I guess that’s what first timers look like. We took a few more shots out of curiosity and stopped when we couldn’t even walk straight anymore and our heartbeat is so fast that we could hear it. Our alcohol tolerance is really low.

 

She sat down beside me on the couch. Neither one of us speaks but I’m still conscious thinking how are we going to go back to my home now in this condition.

 

“Yuri… I’ve always wondered… Why did you befriend me?” I asked out of curiosity.

 

“You really want to know?”

 

“Yeah…”

 

“Really? Like really really?”

 

“Just tell me already!”

 

“Haha! You seem lonely sitting there alone all by yourself. So I thought you need a touch of the great Kwon Yuri to brighten up your life.” She said proudly with a smile plastered on her red face.

 

“Pfft!!! Hahahahahaha!!! Oh my… I didn’t know you’re the great Kwon Yuri… Who didn’t even know where America is!”

 

“Hey! I knew alright!”

 

“Yaaa~ Righttttt~”

 

“Ok ok… To tell you the truth… I thought you’re beautiful and I would love to have a beautiful friend like you…”

 

“… … … Geez you’re being kkap again…”

 

“Haha! You’re shy aren’t you? You’re bluuuuushhhhing~~~”

 

“Stop it KkapYul! It’s the alcohol!”

 

We laughed and paused for a moment catching our breaths.

 

“Sica…”

 

“Hmm?” I answered her in between of my heavy breathing as if I’ve ran a marathon from the effects of alcohol. I can feel that Yuri is breathing heavily too.

 

“Have you ever been in love?”

 

“… Why are you asking all of a sudden… but to answer you… … … Hmm… I think I have…”

 

“Really?”

 

“What is this about Kwon Yuri… … Don’t tell me the recent rumours are true? You. Dating the captain of the basketball team? Haha!”

 

“It’s got nothing to do with that… but...” she didn’t deny it nor did she admit it however hearing her say ‘but’ it seems like it’s true.

 

“Oh my God! Really?”

 

“He… He confessed to me…”

 

“and?!”

 

“I told him to give me time to think about it…”

 

Both of us went quiet. Truth be told I was more in a shock. I thought what I felt was jealousy towards her being confessed to first.  The late bloomer Kwon Yuri is being confessed to first before I did. However when I think about it I could understand too. I give vibes of being a cold and heartless person while the tanned Kwon Yuri is outgoing and funny. Who wouldn’t love her. I have mix feeling that I couldn’t even figure out what. Putting my feelings aside, I asked.

 

“So do you love him?” I asked the ultimate question.

 

“I… I don’t know… He is nice... We have common interest in sport… … … Maybe I should?”

 

She was confused and asked for my advice. I didn’t know what advice I could give her because I was in an even more confused state than hers. My mind was twirling in circles and I wasn’t sure if it’s the effect of the alcohol or it’s just me.

 

If I encouraged her, I feel an aching pain in my chest of losing her. I’m not sure why. It’s not as if we couldn’t see each other or be best friend anymore. It’s just that I’m sure that Yuri would have less time for me and I didn’t like it. I don’t like the idea.

 

If I discouraged her, I feel like I’m in the way of her achieving happiness. What if she really likes him and wanted me to approve and supports her. She respected me as her best friend and she would really be discouraged if I said no.

 

My brain fuse just snaps as I go blank at that moment.

 

Yuri waved her hands in front of me but I didn’t respond. I guess she noticed I was in deep thought because of her question and she hugged me from the side laying her head on my shoulder. I snapped out of it and rested my head on top of hers.

 

“*sigh* Yuri-ah… Just follow your heart.”

 

“That’s what I thought too.” she smiled and said.

 

“Whatever you decide I’ll support you.” I said.

 

“Thank you Sica… Thank you… Oh ya Sica!” She sat up straight all of a sudden surprising me.

 

“What?! You surprised me!”

 

“Keke… Since we are at the topic~ How would you like to be confessed to?”

 

“Huh?! Why all of a sudden?!”

 

“Just answer the question~~~~” she uses her ageyo on me.

 

“Why? You didn’t like the way he confessed to you? Haha!” I actually felt bitter when I said that.

 

“Aniyaaa~ Just answer the question please?” I felt worse when she says that’s not it. Does that mean she likes his confession? I scrap the idea from my head.

 

“Well… It’ll be great if we can go on a simple date… talk about things… have fun… a nice meal or two… and that person will send me home… right outside of my door we’ll bid each other goodbye… and it’ll be best if it’s snowing… that person will untangle my scarf… hold onto the scarf and pulls me in… and we’ll kiss… just a peck on the lips for a brief moment… and that person will say… Sica… Saranghae… … … That’ll be perfect…”

 

“Omo Sica! A kiss on your first date?! You’re quite bold and naughty aren’t you? Haha!!”

 

“Yah Kwon Yuri!!! That’s not naughty alright!!! It’s called romantic!!! Romantic!!! You don’t know anything about it do you KkapYul!!!”

 

“What?! I can be romantic too if I want to!!” she defended herself.

 

“Oh puhleezeee~” I used English to annoy her and yes she is annoyed.

 

We talked, laughed and soon felt tired as we fell asleep on the couch that night. Of course we got into trouble the next day. My mom panicked when both of us is nowhere to be found and called us so many times that I didn’t even know phones can keep up to over 100 miss calls.

 

We were lectured. It’s fine anyway since we both got into trouble together.

 

----------------------------------

It's still kinda boring though... building up the friendship between them..

not that interesting just yet... Just wait and you'll see~ ;)