Chapter 4: The Storm

Memories

Two months later at school, things became a buzz. The captain of the basketball team and Yuri are dating. Of course it would make headlines. The most handsome outgoing guy with the most pretty outgoing girl in the school, dating. People envied them however they said they matched each other well. Yuri told me her decision beforehand and I only smiled saying ‘I’ll support you.’ What else could I say?

 

Truthfully, I didn’t like it. Not one bit. As expected Yuri spends lesser and lesser time with me. Even though I still have my other friends however it’s just not the same without Yuri. Moreover our friends a.k.a. the other best friend couple Taeyeon and Tiffany a.k.a. Taeny is rubbing salt on my wound with their extreme overdose public display of affection.

 

To top all that, what’s worse is when I see Yuri and her boyfriend together. Everything and I mean everything they do I dislike it. Her hands were once mine to hold. Her waist was once only fitted for my arms. Her shoulder was once only my head to lean on. Her attention was once only on me.

 

Don’t get me wrong. He is a kind and good guy no doubt about it. Even the judgemental me approves of that. What’s wrong is with me. I didn’t know why I felt that way at all at that moment. Jealous. Filled with hatred towards the guy who took Yuri away from me. I kept on questioning myself. Shouldn’t I be happy for her? Shouldn't I root for them? What kind of best friend am I when I couldn’t even do that?

 

Only one accidental event made me realize why I feel that way.

 

“Jessie you remember our project meeting after school today right?” Tiffany my American-Korean friend broke me out of my train of thoughts.

 

“Oh shoot! I forgot! I promised Yuri to head home together.”

 

“You better not ditch us this time! It’s your third time missing for the meeting! Taetae~ is going to hunt you down.” I shiver every time at the way she calls her bestie Taeyeon just like how she would shiver every time I call Yuri seobang.

 

“Yeah I know… I’ll just have to tell Yuri to not wait for me.”

 

“Go go! You klutz!”

 

“Hey! I’m not a klutz!”

 

“Yeah yeah now go and tell her before class starts!”

 

I head off to Yuri’s class but she wasn’t there. Guessing that she might have went for her club activities I head over to the gym room but before I could head out of the door I saw her sitting on the bench behind a tree. I could only see her back and knowing her for so long I could recognize her from any angle. I was about to barge out and called out to her but I stopped when I noticed another figure sitting beside her. Her boyfriend. I didn’t know why but I hid.

 

Then it hit me. He touches Yuri’s face softly and leans forward. He kissed her. Even though I only saw it from the back but he kissed her. I touch my face and wondered why my cheek is wet. Ah… It’s tears. I cried. I cried? Why? My heart hurts that's why. Why does it hurt? It felt like being pierced by a thousand needles. It hurts so badly. I clenched my fist at where my heart is trying to stop the aching pain but it didn't help one bit.

 

I ran. I ran and ran until I ran out of energy but my tears just wouldn’t stop. I cried my heart out alone under a tree at the school field.

 

Impossible.

 

Absurd.

 

Repulsive.

 

I was in denial but now I know why.

 

I know why I felt that way.

 

My jealousy.

 

My heartaches.

 

My confusions.

 

My longing.

 

For my best friend, Kwon Yuri.

 

I’m in love with her.

 

---------------------------

Here comes a bit of drama~

Gosh I have this urge to finish this quick.

Next time I'll just update my stories straight away instead of finishing it in a document first. Maybe it's more fun that way.