Chapter 3: Her Story; His Story.

Only Human

 

 

 

Xing inched the perimeter of Luhan’s (old) room slowly, observing his personal belongings with the utmost interest. Oh, how fan girls would die to be in her position. She thought.

 

Suddenly, she felt creepy for invading his privacy and quickly, she returned his DBSK glow stick to its original dusty corner on the wooden desk.  

 

She spun around to face the man at the other end of the room. “Sorry,” she muttered with an apologetic smile.

 

Luhan let out a soft chuckle, “It’s fine~ What do you think?” He gestured around him, “My room is pretty neat, eh?”

 

The corners of Xing’s mouth tugged into a small smile. It has only been a few hours since she met him, but he had managed to make her feel at ease. (Which surprises Xing for she doesn’t get along with just anyone; it was rare for her to feel this comfortable to someone in such a short time.) Xing nodded her head approvingly, “Not bad. Not bad. Just a little musty.” She wrinkles her nose as she walks towards him.

 

“Yah,” He pouted, “I haven’t been home for a while, okay?”

 

Xing shifts her attention to his face. She gazes into his eyes- a pair of alluring doe eyes he has. They say eyes are the windows to the soul. And in Luhan’s, she saw the pain and guilt that were masked by a spark of passion. (And for the time being, their eyes locked for longer than it should have.) Feeling a sense of discomfort arising, Luhan diverted his sightline and, instinctively, started rubbing the nape of his neck.  

 

Xing, too, took note of the awkwardness and coughs, “Ahem. So…….” Her eyes wander aimlessly, “What did you say to make Professor Lu smile at first?”

 

Luhan hesitates for a second, but decides to be honest anyway, “I told him I will get to know you.”

 

She pouts and starts mumbling to herself inaudibly, “Aishhhhh, I knew it when Ayi* (Aunty) was trying to make me stay for dinner. God, why did I agree?! I am such a brainless idiot. What did I get myself into?!”

 

Luhan doesn’t know why, but her childish and overdramatic reaction makes him want to smile like an idiot. Biting down his smile, he asks “Yah, don’t you want to get to know me too?”

 

Xing puffs her cheeks, “Maybe, maybe not.”

 

“Why not?” He pouts, “I thought I was cool.” Oh. Xing didn’t know men were allowed to be this cute.

 

Xing rolls her eyes, “Fine, fine. I want to get to know you. Happy?” She jokingly sighs as she takes a seat beside Luhan on his bed. (In all honestly, Xing actually enjoys spending time with Luhan.)

 

Luhan gives her the same eye-smile for the umpteenth time tonight, “Okay! First off, did you know that your name sounds like leasing in English? Lee Xing, leasing, you see?” He points out proudly.

 

Xing wanted to face palm herself. Why is he such a child? She shakes her head.

 

She smiles, “My real name is Byul, Lee Byul.”

 

Luhan’s eyes widen in surprise, “You’re Korean?!”

 

Xing nods, “Neh, I moved here three years ago with my aunt for college.” She fiddles with the hem of dress as she felt her chest tighten.

 

Luhan notices the small gesture, “What’s wrong? Did something happen?” His voice filled with concern.

 

She mutters softly, “She got into an accident two years ago… and passed away.” A pang of guilt hits Luhan and he was at loss of words.

 

After minutes of silence, she sought out for his eyes again. This time, he saw her chestnut colored eyes were glassed with tears. Luhan bites down on his lips nervously, “I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to be so nosy. I.. I--”

 

Xing chuckles foolishly, “No, no. It’s not your fault. I don’t know what’s wrong with me tonight.” She quickly wipes the tears with the back of her hand, “God, I must come off as a weak, emotional girl. I’m sorry.”  

 

Luhan feverishly waved his hands and shook his head, “No no!! It’s normal to act that way.” Xing smiles. She likes the way he makes her feel- how easy it was for him to make her smile.  God, she hasn’t felt this way for a while now…

 

He rubs his neck again (Xing was starting to find this habit to be a very adorable characteristic of his), “So, um… let’s talk about something else! What do you like? How old are you? Um, do you listen to Kpop? Do you want EXO’s autograph or anything?”

 

Xing laughs again, a laugh that Luhan loves hearing.

 

“Like I’ve said, my name is Lee Byul. I don’t have any siblings. My parents passed away when I was really young. After that, my aunt took me in. I attend QingHua University, currently enrolled as a computer science major. I will be graduating in a year, so I am 20. I don’t listen to Kpop, because it’s not my cup of tea. And did you just shamelessly advertise for your own band?” Byul teases.

 

Luhan avoids her question, “Wow, why do I suddenly feel like I am on some speed date.”

 

“Yah,” Xing whacks his arm lightly.

 

“I was just kidding!” Luhan rubs his arm, faking a frown, “Gee, woman. Control your temper.”

 

Xing glares, “ it up, little girl.”

 

Luhan deepens his frown, “Yah! I am a manly man!” He slaps his chest several times.

 

Xing scoffs, “Sure, sure. How about you tell me about yourself, Mr. Manly Man?”

 

“Um, I am EXO’s Luhan- main vocalist and dancer. During free time, I like to play soccer,” Luhan recites (almost automatically), “Oh, I also like to solve Rubik’s cubes. Um.. I have always wanted to be a singer ever since I was a kid. Oh! I like DBSK a lot then and still do.” He points at his wall of posters.

 

“Wow… boy, you didn’t even try.” Xing complains, “It’s not personal at all. I can probably get that off of Google in a second if I searched your name.”

 

Luhan bites his lips, “…well, what do you want to know then?”

 

Xing taps her chin, “Something juicier! So I can use it to blackmail you in the future!”

 

“Wow, aren’t you a devil.” Luhan sticks his tongue out at her childishly, “I am not that dumb to ruin my career.”

 

Xing sighs in defeat, “Fine. Fine.” She tries to conjure up an alternative, “Oh! You’re the main vocalist right? Sing me a song!”

 

Luhan shakes his head, “demanding, demanding, but okay, I will give you a live show. Ready?”

 

Xing nods eagerly.

 

好吧,听好了*-雨都停了天都亮了我們還不懂
這愛情路究竟帶我們到什麼地方
是要持續仍舊珍惜還是回到原地
如今此刻的我的確是有一點疲倦

 

When Xing hears the familiar tune, drops open. *What… How—* She continues to stare agape as Luhan zones off into a world of his own. His eyes unfocused, his neck veins visible, his hands nervously grasped together- all at the same time, his soft voice filling her ears.

 

When he finished, he his lips nervously (a behavior which Xing deemed should be illegal). “So…?” Luhan asked timidly.

 

“WOW,” Xing exclaims, “I underestimated you. You might not be as an experienced singer as JJ Lin, but wow, your voice definitely trigger some emotional feels in me. AND did you know that’s my favorite song or something?!”

 

Luhan rubs his neck again, “Hehee… I remember my mom asking me to get JJ Lin’s autograph for one of my father’s students and as of the song.. I just took a lucky guess.”

 

“Wait, wait.” Xing gaped, “Mrs. Lu… talks about me… to you?! And you were the one who got the autograph?!”

 

Luhan chuckles, “Yes, yes. She talks about you almost always when I am on the phone with her. Xing this, Xing that. Ah~ how glad I am to finally meet you.” He smiles genuinely, “And yes, I was. So you owe me!”

 

Xing rolls her eyes, “Pshhhhh, no I don’t. But really though, you are a pretty good singer.” She admits.

 

Luhan catches her eyes again, “Thank you…” He sighs, “I just wish that someone would understand.” Xing caught the bitterness in his voice.

 

After several minutes of silence, Luhan finally plucked up the courage to let these words escape from him. “I really, really, really, really wanted to be a singer ever since a kid. He knows that. I never had interest in anything but singing and dancing. They were my dream. Why couldn’t he see it?!” Suddenly, the Luhan in front of Xing wasn’t the same anymore. He wasn’t the perfect happy little deer. He was a flawed and broken human.

 

“I was really going to take his path. I really was. But then there came the breaking and turning point of my life. There was this girl I loved throughout junior high and high school. Her name was Chen Xue Mei; she has the most beautiful and laugh in the world.” Xing felt a tiny pinch at her heart. She felt bad for him…She thinks.

 

“I was always there for her…but she never noticed me as anything more than a friend.” Why did this story suddenly sound so familiar, “When I confessed to her, things just got awkard. Aishhhh,” He runs his hand through his hair, “After some time, I realized… I was never going to be that guy- the one standing next to her, making her happy. That was when I decided to leave for Korea.. I thought perhaps I can start anew there and I did. And thank god I did, because I have made my dream a reality.”

 

It was now Xing’s turn to stare speechlessly. She knew a part of him is hurting from his strained relationship with his father, but she just didn’t know how to comfort him.

 

“I’m sorry…” Luhan bites his lip (again), “I’ve said too much. Don’t mind me~~” He suddenly returns to his chirpy self.

 

Xing reaches out and pulls him into an abrupt hug, “I’m sorry. I really don’t know what to say…” She found her voice trembling, “But I know one thing, Professor Lu really loves you. He does. I can tell. I am sure one day he’ll understand. Fighting!”

 

Xing breaks the hug and takes a step back.*God! Lee Byul! Lee Byul! Why did you hug him for?! He must think you’re a new fan girl who wants every possible skin-ship now. Ughshshsuhgs* “I am sorry if that hug made you feel uncomfortable.” She mutters.

 

Luhan gives her the same sweet, heart-melting, warm smile. “No, I liked it.” With that, he pulls her into his embrace, wrapping his arms around her slender waist. “Let’s stay like this for a while. I think my heart is warming up.” Xing nods against his chest. She liked this as well- seeing the human side of an idol.