Six.

Just One of Us

Your eyes grew wide as Hoya retold snippets of your shared childhood. His eyes sparkled with happiness as he spoke, you almost couldn't bear to ask him again if you were really the girl he thought you were.

"How did you know it was me?" you asked casually.
 
Hoya scratched the back of his head sheepishly. "I've been trying to find you since a few years back. Looked on Cyworld, asked around and I guess I got lucky when I saw you walking in the school cafeteria one day with Sungyeol and the rest of the guys. I don’t think you changed very much in the ten years or so since we last met…"
 
You blushed slightly. You were always told that you looked a lot younger than your age, but to say that you hadn’t changed much since you were ten, you didn’t quite know what to make of it. 
 
Hoya suddenly realized that you might have misunderstood. “I don’t mean it in a bad way!” he explained, worried at your change in expression. “I remembered the way you smile. Your eye smile… how your eyes became like overturned crescents when you were really happy.”
 
Somehow that line made you smile subconsciously. People usually commented on your cheerful disposition, on your outgoing nature but you had never heard about someone talk about your smile like that.
 
“See, that’s the smile I was talking about,” he pointed out, and touched the side of your face gently. Your cheeks flushed every harder and you were praying that the dim lighting of the park would somehow make your almost-scarlet-red cheeks less obvious.
 
It took him a while before it dawned on Hoya what he had done. “Sorry,” he apologized and hurriedly put his hand down. 
 
You cleared your throat. It occurred to you that you had several questions lingering in your mind. "By the way… How do you know Sungyeol?"
 
"Oh, we were classmates in high school."
 
"So it's not like he coerced you into going on a date with me or something?"
 
"You sound like you're interrogating me," Hoya quipped. You pursed your lips tightly, visibly embarrassed. But it made him laugh instead and he smiled his crooked smile. Somehow you felt like you had a vague memory of that. "Don't worry. I'm fine with the questions. And no, he didn't coerce me. I had to ask him to help me set this up."
 
Your eyes narrowed. "Seriously? Sungyeol told me he spent ages with you trying to persuade you to go out with me!” 
 
"Maybe he was just trying to make you turn up. After all, this was pretty random and sudden."
 
You nodded in agreement, tapping your fingers against your chin. "So, tell me more about what we were like when we were younger!"
 
As Hoya started talking again, your mind drifted off to what he said earlier. He started looking for you a few years back... Meaning one of you must have gone somewhere after kindergarten. What exactly happened?
 
***
 
"Oh my god, Sunggyu, you never believe what Howon, I mean Hoya told me," you exclaimed over the phone as you swung your legs up on your bed post.
 
"He's an undercover agent?"
 
You rolled your eyes. "Try again.”
 
"I give up."
 
"What? No, how can you give up so easily?! I'll give you a hint…it has to do with me."
 
"He's madly in love with you after your first date?”
 
"No!" you answered hastily. Your face went red at that thought. He had given you a small peck on the forehead after he dropped you off at your doorstep. But, madly in love? "He and I were from the same kindergarten!"
 
"Oh.”
 
"Why aren't you shocked?"
 
“Sungyeol told us.”
 
Your eyes widened at the statement. “And you didn’t tell me you knew?” you asked incredulously. “I thought only Sungyeol knew. But you guys… How could you not tell me?!”
 
You could hear Gyu shifting the phone around. You guessed that you were speaking too loudly. “Isn’t it better to hear from Hoya himself?” 
 
You nodded. “Yeah, it is.”
 
“Hey, Noeul’s calling me. I’ll drop by your house tomorrow and we’ll talk then okay? Please sleep early. You’ve had a long day.” 
 
“Yes, Sunggyu, you nag like an old woman,” you said in jest. The both of you said your good nights and you hung up the phone. 
 
You slid under your covers and thoughts about what Hoya had said earlier in the evening filled your mind. It wasn’t like you doubted his words, but you were puzzled as to why you could only remember bits and pieces of your time at the kindergarten, and about how hazy everything seemed. Hoya said you were probably too young to remember everything clearly. You accepted his explanation but told yourself you would ask your mother more about it in the morning.
 
***
 
The next morning, you awoke to two pairs of eyes peering down at you. You gasped and quickly hid back beneath your sheets.
 
“It’s just us!” Woohyun tugged at your sheets, trying to pry it from your tight grip. 
 
“Don’t scare me like that!” you exclaimed but your voice came out muffled by the sheets on top of you. 
 
Sunggyu joined Woohyun in trying to wrestle the sheets from you. “What’s that? We can’t really hear you!”
 
“I said don’t scare me like that in the morning!” You sat up and suddenly let go of the sheets, causing both boys to fall backwards onto your floor. You looked down and saw both of them sprawled on your pale taupe carpet. It was quite a sight. You grabbed your phone from your side table and snapped a photo of it.
 
Woohyun got up on his feet and shot you a glare. “Don’t you dare upload it on Twitter!”
 
“Or else?”
 
Woohyun buried his face in his hands. “Or else I’m definitely going to lose some of my followers!” He shook you by your shoulders.  “I mean, Nam Woohyun is never caught unaware on camera!”
 
You smacked him on his head with your phone. “Don’t be such a drama queen. Besides, you already have a girlfriend. I’m sure Sohyun will be pleased if there are lesser girls eyeing you.”
 
He jumped onto your bed right beside you. “She’s fine with my admiring fans. She knows she’s got herself a fine-looking boyfriend.”
 
“Save me from these lies, Sunggyu!” you cried and covered your ears with your hands. 
 
Sunggyu laughed as he got up from the floor and sat at the edge of your bed. “Aren’t you already used to it? Nam Woohyun is nothing without his self-conceited proclamations.”
 
“Hey!”
 
A knocked sounded on your door. You were expecting your mother but instead, a girl slightly older than you with short, cropped hair stepped into the room. You stared at her for a good ten seconds before you realized who it was.
 
“Noeul!” you screamed and jumped off your bed, into her arms. “You’re back! And you cut your hair again!”
 
Noeul’s hearty laughter rang across the room as she steadied herself from your sudden outburst. “Didn’t Sunggyu tell you I was back?”
 
You cast an accusing look at Sunggyu. “No he didn’t! He even said he was on the phone with you last night, so I assumed you were still in Tokyo.”
 
Sunggyu shrugged and walked over to give Noeul a kiss. “You didn’t ask if she was back.”
 
Noeul nudged Sunggyu lightly. “I’ve been away for two weeks and you’re all ganging up on our poor youngest one already?” 
 
You pouted pitifully and nodded. 
 
“She’s lying!” both guys shouted defensively. 
 
“He even said he would dump you if you and I couldn’t get along.”
 
Sunggyu's small eyes widened considerably. 
 
“But you know that will never happen!” you added quickly, much to Sunggyu’s relief and put your arm through Noeul’s. “You and I get along so well!” 
 
“I will deal with the two of you another time,” Noeul said, shaking her finger at the two of them. “Now, I want to hear all about your date yesterday!” She looked expectantly at you.
 
You looked at all three of them. You knew you had to retell every detail before they would probably let you go down for breakfast. You looked up at the clock, it said ‘9:23’. You told yourself you would finish talking about your date and your history with Hoya by ten. 
 
You propped yourself up against your bed post and started from the moment he fetched you at your doorstep with a small bouquet of Gerberas in hand. 
 

A/N: Hope you all aren't too shocked by the sudden appearance of a character map. Thought it would put a face to Sunggyu's and Woohyun's girlfriends. As to who Dongwoo's girlfriend is...we'll have to wait a little longer for a mention or appearance. This chapter took me quite a while to write because I was contemplating if I should write some stuff or not... Please do let me know if you felt something was amiss about this chapter or if you liked it! (: Next chapter will most probably be after the weekend because I'm at yet another camp!