Ten.

Just One of Us

 

You plopped yourself at the back of the lecture theatre and slowly took out your laptop to begin typing notes. You usually sat with Woohyun and Sunggyu for this class, but since you were fifteen minutes late, you reasoned that the seat they saved for you was taken.
 
When you finally caught onto what the lecturer was talking about, someone sat on the floor next to you, disrupting your thought process.
 
“Sorry, which part of the lecture is she at?” the stranger asked as he fumbled around in his bag, searching for his writing materials.
 
“I was trying to catch what she was saying before you interrupted me,” you answered wryly and stared fixatedly at your laptop screen. “But I think she was at slide six.”
 
For the rest of the lecture, you paid little attention. Hoya had come online sometime when the lecturer was on her tenth slide and while you tried to multi-task between chatting with Hoya and paying attention, you did more of the former. 
 
“Thank you.”
 
“I’m sure she’s not saying anything important now. Why are you typing so furiously?” the stranger whose existence you almost forgot by now, commented. You felt him peer over your shoulder. “Oh, chatting.”
 
You shielded your laptop from his view. “What I do during lecture time is none of your business.”
 
“Just curious.”
 
You rolled your eyes and went back to your chatting. However as you typed, a familiar scent wafted in the air around you. You recognized that smell and immediately turned to face the person beside you.
 
It was as if he knew you were going to identify him and he gave you a knowing smile.
 
“Hello my dear, it’s been a while.”
 
“Sungjong! I didn’t even know you came to this university!”
 
He grinned. “I don’t. But I’m here on an important mission.”
 
“Which is?!” 
 
Sungjong tapped his finger on your head. “I know Hoya and you are really in love and all but you do realize you’ve been neglecting your friends?”
 
You opened your mouth, ready to protest, but Sungjong placed his hand over your mouth.
 
“Listen to me first,” he snapped. You sighed and waited for him to continue. “I’m sure you would agree with me when I say that for the past two weeks you haven’t been hanging out with your friends outside of school time? In particular…” 
 
You looked down guiltily. “Dongwoo.”
 
“You said it, I didn’t.”
 
You rolled your eyes. “Did Sunggyu send you? Or Myungsoo?”
 
Sungjong grinned. “Doesn’t matter. So, when are you going to go check on Jang Dongwoo?”
 
Just as Sungjong said that, your phone vibrated and you saw that Dongwoo had just dropped you a message on Kakao Talk. You stared at the phone and then at Sungjong. “Oh gosh, did I ever mention how creepily psychic you are?” 
 
“Part of the job, my dear.”
 
Hey, it’s been a while. Lunch?
 
Your fingers hovered over the buttons as you slowly typed out a reply. You took a deep breath and wondered if you should even send the reply out, but Sungjong wrested the phone from your grasp and clicked send on your behalf.
 
Sure, canteen at two. 
 
You looked up and watched as the minute hand inched slowly towards twelve. You found it odd, but in the time Sungjong had started talking to you and mentioned Dongwoo, you had somehow forgotten about the fact that, one, you were halfway through your conversation with Hoya. And two, your heart actually started beating faster at the mention of Dongwoo.
 
You placed your hand to your chest and tried to still your pounding heart. 
 
Sungjong took one look at you in your current state, gave his signature grin and slowly crept out of the lecture theatre. “See you soon,” he mouthed. 
 

*Kakao Talk: A Korea-based chat messaging application. Works similar to Whatsapp. 

A/N: Edited some sentences! Didn't do a grammar/spell check earlier. Omg, it's been far TOO long. School has been crazier. Life even more so. I had plans for a longer, more satisfying tenth chapter, but I decided to just post up this short chapter since I haven't updated in so long. I've gained several new suscribers in these few months of absence, thank you for suscribing. And are still reading, thank you so much for sticking around. I hope you liked the chapter. (: