Chapter 1

Annoying Next-Door Neighbours!!!

 

Suzy sighed as she flopped onto her bed. One of her roommates, Jiyeon grinned. Their other roommate, Ji Eun entered the room with damp hair, she had just come out of the shower. Today had been one terrible and annoying day, they had new next door neighbours who were absolutely annoying.



Flashback

"Girls, we're going to have new neighbours!" Said Sohee, the oldest member of their group.

"They're moving into the house next door, I heard that they are a bunch of guys." Said Hyerim, the second oldest.

Suzy, Jiyeon and Ji Eun shrugged. The three didn't particularly care about getting boyfriends. Although Sohee and Hyerim didn't say it outright, they were hinting that the three should get boyfriends. Let's just say that three of them were played by the same guy during high school. They never dated anyone ever since, the only guys that they hung out with were Lee Junho and Nichkhun. Junho is Ji Eun older twin brother while Nichkhun is the adopted cousin of Sohee.

Just then, Sohee's phone vibrated. She smiled as she read the message.

"Junho oppa and Nichkhun oppa are coming over for dinner." Grinned Sohee.

"If anything happened with those boys, I'm sure those two will help us." Said Hyerim.

With that, Sohee and Hyerim got to work preparing dinner.

End Of Flashback



Junho and Nichkhun had just left after coming over for dinner. The boys had moved in during the late afternoon. Sohee and Hyerim brought the girls to greet them, as a sign of welcoming them. But all that happened was Jiyeon, Ji Eun and Suzy getting into an argument with three of the boys, JB, Wooyoung and Myungsoo. Well, it was mostly JB, Myungsoo, Jiyeon and Suzy who did the arguing, Ji Eun and Wooyoung mostly stayed quiet. The two girls couldn't stand the boys, they were cocky, arrogant and had personalities that were similar to players. Only Ji Eun got along with Wooyoung, the others were pretty annoying. Not all of them were like this, the other two were more well-mannered and considerate, but they still had that cocky side to them.

The day become even worse when Kyuhyun and Taemin, the other two boys, revealed that they had transferred to Seoul University. The very same university that the girls attended. Suzy groaned when Ji Eun reminded her that they would be bumping into the boys a lot more often as they took the same course. Well, most of them anyway. Kyuhyun and Hyerim are business majors while the others major in performing arts.

Hyerim popped her head into the room. "Forget about the boys for now and go to sleep. We have the special test tomorrow for General Studies. So save your energy for that."

"Goodnight unnie." Said Jiyeon.

Hyerim smiled and closed the door. General Studies was a compulsory subject in Seoul University; it was the hardest subject in the eyes of students. It is hard to score a good grade in this subject. After ten more minutes, the three had fallen asleep.



The next morning...
The sun crept into the bedroom that the three shared. Ji Eun blinked several times before getting up. She glance at her clock, it showed 7.13am. Her first class started at 8.30am, so she had plenty of time to get ready. Ji Eun opened her closet and picked out a white minidress with skinny jeans. She grabbed her towel and went to shower. After twenty minutes, Ji Eun emerged from the bathroom fully dressed. Ji Eun headed to the kitchen where she smelled the sweet scent of honey.

Hyerim was already up and preparing breakfast in the kitchen. It was her duty to cook breakfast on Thursdays. Hyerim placed a big plate full of pancakes and five smaller plates with forks. Ji Eun took out the butter from the fridge and placed it beside the honey and maple syrup. Hyerim and Ji Eun started eating first. Jiyeon and Suzy came out ten minutes later. Sohee was sill sleeping, as she only had one class today and that was General Studies test in the afternoon at 2. Amazingly each of them had a day off every week. Suzy had Mondays, Hyerim had Tuesdays, Ji Eun had Wednesdays, Sohee had Thursdays and Jiyeon had Fridays. Today was special though, there was a special test for General Studies and everyone was required to attend.

After breakfast, Hyerim grabbed her bag and car keys. Sohee and Hyerim were the ones who could drive, as they had driving licenses. Suzy, Jiyeon and Ji Eun were allowed to take the test this year, they had agreed to take the test together. Hyerim gave Ji Eun a lift to the university. Jiyeon and Suzy would take the bus later, their classes only started at 10am.



Half an hour later...
Jiyeon and Suzy were revising for the test when they heard knocking sounds on one of the windows. Sohee, who had woken up not too long ago, opened up the window. Sohee rolled her eyes when she saw the culprit, it was Lee Taemin. He grinned when Sohee rolled her eyes.

"Noona, is there something special going on today? I'm supposed to attend a class when I don't have one today!" Shouted Taemin.

Sohee rolled her eyes, because he called her noona and the fact that he shouted his message across, when he could have just written it on a piece of paper and showed it to her, and grabbed a pen and piece of paper. Sohee and Taemin were the same age, but Sohee was older by a couple of weeks, so it was funny when he called her noona. She wrote, "There is a special test for all students today. The subject is General Studies. But you guys should have been excused, since you guys are new students."

Sohee showed him the paper and Taemin did the same and wrote something on his paper, "I see, I'll ask Kyuhyun hyung to check it out. Thanks."

Sohee smiled and closed the window. Jiyeon and Suzy turned to her.

"What did he want?" Asked Jiyeon?

"Nothing really. Apparently he and his friends weren't excused for the test today." Shrugged Sohee.

"New students are usually excused, but this is General Studies. General Studies ask about stuff that happened in the world recently." Suzy pointed out.

"True, but in the past new students were excused from taking the General Paper if they had just transferred during the week when the exam is held." Said Jiyeon.

"Maybe they changed it?" Suggested Suzy?

"We'll go check it out when we reach school. Speaking of school, we should be going soon." Said Jiyeon.

Suzy headed to the kitchen and filled two bottles of water for the two girls.. Jiyeon brought out two backpacks, one was white while the other was brown, and handed the white one to Suzy. They packed their notes and water bottles and walked to the door.

"I'll cook and pack lunch for you guys. I'll bring them over during lunch break. Tell the others too." Said Sohee.

The two girls nodded and left the house. Sohee smiled and left to prepare the ingredients that she ups need to cook lunch. She had decided to cook fried kimchi with ramen. Sohee pulled several packets of ramen and set them aside while she washed the dishes.

 


 


With Suzy and Jiyeon...
The two girls waited at the bus stop for the bus to the university campus. Jiyeon nudged Suzy when she spotted JB, Wooyoung and Myungsoo. Suzy and Jiyeon slipped on their pale pink and pale yellow headphones to distract them. Before the boys could approach them, the bus arrived and the two girls quickly got on the bus and sat at the back of the bus. The boys were stuck at the front, the girls shared a smirk. The university was the last stop of the bus before it goes back to the interchange, so by the time they reached the university the bus was only left with students. Luckily for Jiyeon and Suzy, the bus was filled with students most of them were studying for the exam later on. Jiyeon and Suzy got off the bus and headed to the general office and the boys followed them.

"Yah! Why are you guys following us?" Glared Suzy.

"Woah calm down. We're heading this way too." Said Wooyoung.

"So where is your other friend?" Smirked JB.

"If you're talking about Ji Eun, she's already in class." Replied Suzy.

"Another question, why is everyone studying today?" Asked Myungsoo, eyeing the girls' notes and seeing the other students studying.

"Wait, you don't know about it?" Asked Suzy?

The three boys shook their heads. Jiyeon wanted to keep the information to herself, but it wouldn't be fair. The General Paper made up at least 40% of their final grade for the semester. If someone failed because of her, the entire average school grade would drop. And that wasn't good news for the school.

Jiyeon sighed, "There's a special exam today for General Studies. This paper makes up at least 40% of your final grade for this semester. We have no idea what will come out for the General Paper, so that's why everyone is studying so hard."

The three boys looked shock. "Why didn't we hear about this?" Asked JB?

"Usually, new students would be given a week to prepare after all of the students had taken the test. So you should be exempted from today's test." Explained Suzy.

"We didn't receive any notice of a test." Muttered Myungsoo.

"Actually, one of your friends Taemin asked us about it earlier. He asked your other friend, Kyuhyun to ask for him. You should ask about it too, since you guys are affected." Said Jiyeon.

Originally they were going to ask about this, but Ji Eun offered to ask for them as her class was cancelled after the professor had an urgent meeting to attend. So she had a free period. They had texted her during the bus ride. The two girls left the boys and headed to the library to find Ji Eun. Ji Eun had saved them the use of a special room.

Suzy and Jiyeon placed their bags on the floor and joined Ji Eun at the table. Ji Eun locked the door and pulled out her laptop.

"I asked one of the teachers, and she said that the format of the General Paper is slightly different now. The answering format is different. Previously they were only short-answer questions. But now there are only essay questions." Said Ji Eun.

"I suppose having only one type of question to answer is a lot easier." Muttered Suzy.

"There are five essay questions but we only need to answer two. The topics are different for each question. That's why new students aren't exempted from the test this time. There's no need to study, it's all up to your general knowledge to answer the questions." Continued Ji Eun.

"It's going to be even harder to pass the paper, essay questions are technically the hardest when it comes to General Studies." Said Jiyeon.

"But why weren't we informed about this?" Asked Suzy.

"I suppose that the school wanted to do this as a test first before telling us about this." Said Jiyeon.

"Before you guys arrived, I texted Hyerim and Sohee about this.They were pretty surprised by this too." Said Ji Eun.

"Oh yeah, Sohee said that she would bring lunch for us." Said Suzy.

Ji Eun nodded and the three girls continued their discussion. The girls remained in the library until ten minutes before their next class started. Ji Eun, Jiyeon and Suzy headed to their composing class. Suzy and Jiyeon scowled when they saw Wooyoung, Myungsoo and JB. The three guys each had a bunch of girls surrounding them.

"Che, first day of school and they already have so many fangirls." Muttered Suzy.

"Girls, calm down. We'll talk about it later." Said Ji Eun, being the peacemaker of the group.

"Fine." Replied Jiyeon.

The three girls went to join Junho, Nichkhun and their friends Yenny and Minjun. Ji Eun smiled and took a seat next to her brother. While Yenny was in between Suzy and Jiyeon. Ji Eun relayed the information about the test to her brother. Suzy and Jiyeon did the same for Minjun, Nichkhun and Yenny.

"That's going to hurt our grades." Said Junho.

"I know, but what can we do? It's already been decide by the school management." Said Nichkhun.

The group discussed about the test until their teacher, Mr Park, came in and started the class. Myungsoo, JB and Wooyoung sat behind Ji Eun and her friends. Jiyeon glared at them.

"Sorry, this is the best seat we could find to get away from those girls." Hissed JB.

Jiyeon rolled her eyes and turned her attention back to the lecture. Mr Park was explaining about their mid-term project that would consist of 30% of their final grade for the semester.

"Your project is to compose a song with a partner and perform the song during your drama class. This is a collaboration between the composing and drama classes." Explained Mr Park.

Mr Park pulled out a piece of paper and blue marker from his drawer. "The pairs have already been decided. I'll announce them now."

Mr Park wrote the pairs on the whiteboard. Jiyeon looked carefully for her name. She scowled when she found her and her partner's names.

 

 


 


Pair 7: Jae Bum and Jiyeon
Pair 8: Junho and Minjun
Pair 9: Nichkhun and Jiyoung
Pair 10: Yenny and Tiffany
Pair 11: Ji Eun and Wooyoung
Pair 12: Suzy and Myungsoo

 


 


"I will let you use this lesson to let you and your partner discuss about the project. And changing of partners is not allowed." Said Mr Park.

Junho and Minjun hi-fived while Yenny and Nichkhun went to find their respective partners. Suzy turned to the boys and gave them a stare.

"Look, we may be partners but if you pick on any one of our friends, you'll get it from all of us." Said Suzy.

"Bring it on." Smirked Myungsoo.

"Guys, let's not argue about this. We have a project to discuss." Said Ji Eun.

"You really want to work with Wooyoung hyung don't you." Smirked JB.

"Ji Eun just wants good grades. She doesn't want to hang out with you guys." Countered Jiyeon.
 
"Was I asking you?" Retorted JB.

"This is just a project, after that we can go our separate ways." Said Ji Eun, until she realized how awkward it sounded.

Unwittingly the six burst into laughter. When they realized what they were doing, Jiyeon and JB gave each other glares before going back to discussing their project.

"Sorry if my friends were kind of rude." Apologized Ji Eun.

Wooyoung blinked a couple of times as he digested what Ji Eun had just said. "Well, I should be sorry about my friends too."

Ji Eun smiled and pulled out blank sheets of music score papers from her backpack.

"You're pretty quiet and gentle huh?" Smirked Wooyoung?

"Well, compared to Jiyeon and Suzy I guess I am. That's what most people tell me that is." Giggled Ji Eun.

Silence overtook Ji Eun and Wooyoung. Ji Eun broke the silence a few minutes later.

"So what kind of song should we write?" Asked Ji Eun?

"I prefer mid-tempo songs. Dance songs and ballads really aren't my thing." Said Wooyoung.

Ji Eun was surprised. "Me too. But I can sing ballads, but not dance songs very well."

"I guess we're deciding on mid-tempo songs. Do you know how to play an instrument?" Asked Wooyoung?

"Well, I can play the guitar. What about you?" Said Ji Eun.

"I play the piano and a bit of guitar." Said Wooyoung.

"We could do a duet using two guitars or using a piano and guitar." Suggested Ji Eun.

"We should discuss about the song first, before deciding on the instruments." Said Wooyoung.

Ji Eun nodded and handed Wooyoung a blank sheet of music score. Both took out a pencil and started making notes on the back of the blank music score. Eventually they decided on using four-four beat with a moderato pace.

Among the three pairs, Wooyoung and Ji Eun were the only ones who actually made some progress on their project. The other two groups were constantly arguing, not really making any progress. The bell rang signaling the end of class, the one hour seemed like ten hours for the other four. Jiyeon and Suzy packed their stuff and stormed out of the room, Ji Eun sent an apologetic smile towards Myungsoo and JB, before leaving the room to chase after her friends. The three boys left the room and walked to the cafeteria for an early lunch.

"What did the two of you do to make them so angry?" Asked Wooyoung.

"Nothing, we just talked." Said JB.

Wooyoung stared at them longer and Myungsoo sighed. "Okay, we just talked and somehow it led to an argument."

"Look if the two of you hadn't been rude to them yesterday, perhaps none of this would have happened." Sighed Wooyoung.

"Hyung, since when were we rude to them?" Asked JB?

"When you guys flirted shamelessly with them. Not all girls will fall for it you know." Said Wooyoung, he knows this because he has a sister and he has experienced such things before.

"That was considered rude?" Asked Myungsoo?

"In their eyes yes, perhaps you should apologize to them." Replied Wooyoung.

"Pff, apologize to them? Never!" Scoffed JB.

Wooyoung rolled his eyes. "Whatever, it's your decision. If anything happens between you guys, don't blame me."

JB and Myungsoo glared at Wooyoung, who simply chuckled and left the two boys to go to the cafeteria. JB and Myungsoo shared a look before chasing after their friend.



Meanwhile with Jiyeon and friends...
Jiyeon and Suzy huffed as they opened their lockers. They left their books and headed to the garden in one of the more secluded parts of the campus. The three girls entered a hidden grotto which led to beautifully decorated room.. This was the five girls' secret hideout. They had discovered the empty room a couple of months ago, during their orientation, and decided to use the room as their hideout. The girls hang out there everyday during their free periods and lunch. The grotto was so well hidden that you wouldn't even realize that there was a grotto there. Hyerim and Sohee were already there. Sohee placed five colorful lunch boxes on the table and a white cake box. The lunch boxes had name labels on them. The pink, yellow, blue, green and white ones belonged to Suzy, Jiyeon, Sohee, Hyerim and Ji Eun respectively. They had matching colored eating utensils too. Sohee handed out the lunch boxes while Hyerim poured a cup of  water for everyone. The girls thanked Sohee for the lunch before digging in.

"Sohee unnie, this is delicious!" Giggled Suzy.

"Glad you like it. I have more if you want seconds." Said Sohee, gesturing to plastic container of food.

"But don't eat too much, we have dessert too." Said Hyerim.

The girls laughed and ate their lunch. After lunch Hyerim handed each of them a brownie. She had popped by the university's bakery before coming here.

"So about the new format for the General Paper, how are we supposed to answer them?" Asked Sohee?

"My guess is that they will give us a topic to write about and discuss the issue. We have to write an essay on that topic." Said Hyerim.

"I suppose that they would ask about things that happened recently that would affect us, just like the previous papers." Said Ji Eun.

"I guess, but it won't be easy to score in essay questions. If we write out of point, we'll be heavily penalized." Added Jiyeon.

"General Studies have never been easy. It seems easy on the front, but beneath it, you need to have a lot o general knowledge to pass the paper." Said Suzy.

"We shouldn't underestimate the teachers, we have no idea what topics that they will come up with." Said Hyerim.

Sohee glanced at her watch, it showed 12.17pm. "We have less than 2 hours before the paper starts. So what should we do now?"

"It's no use studying, we don't even know that they'll come up with." Sighed Jiyeon.

"We shouldn't leave the school though, it's lunch hour right now. If we go out, we might not be able to return in time." Said Ji Eun.

"How about we just chill here, until the paper starts?" Suggested Suzy.

"Why not? Sohee unnie have you received your final semester project yet?" Asked Jiyeon.

"I have, I need to choreograph a couple dance and perform it during drama." Said Sohee.

"Who's your partner then?" Asked Suzy?

"Taemin, the professor told me earlier, when I came here. Apparently he's a pretty good dancer." Replied Sohee.

"He an okay guy, but the other three are no good." Said Suzy.

"Wooyoung isn't bad, he's pretty nice." Defended Ji Eun.

"I agree with Ji Eun and Kyuhyun is pretty smart. Taemin, Kyuhyun and Wooyoung have good attitudes, but are a little cocky. JB and Myungsoo are cocky and are players." Said Jiyeon.

"Girls, don't judge them right now. We have just met them yesterday. And besides Ji Eun told me that you guys are paired up for your final semester projects. So use this time to observe them, you can judge them after that." Said Sohee.

"Hyerim unnie what about you? What about your project?" Asked Ji Eun?

"I have to come up with an environmentally friendly business proposal with Kyuhyun and present it to the class next month." Sighed Hyerim.

"Any problems?" Asked Suzy?

"Nothing really, it's just that Mr Lee is starting to annoy me. He constantly trails off telling stories unrelated to business studies. I'll never get a good grade if he keeps doing this. He wastes a lot of time on this." Said Hyerim.

"At least, you don't mind having him as your partner for the project." Sighed Jiyeon.

"Come on, the boys aren't that bad." Said Sohee.

"Yeah, you just have to get to know them better." Said Ji Eun.

"If things were that easy." Muttered Suzy.

"I'm sure the guys are nice, underneath their player personalities. You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. You'll just have to be patient with them. Not every guy is so easy to read." Said Sohee.

The girls smiled. Sohee definitely was the oldest, she was a wonderful big sister. She gave awesome pep talks, it's a wonder why she didn't choose to take up psychology as her major. But she did take it as her minor subject. Sohee got along with pretty much anyone in the school. She had many friends, but only a few were her close friends. Sohee was the type of person who you can turn to when you need help. If you need a listening ear or a shoulder to lean on, she'll be happy to help you out.

Hyerim felt her phone vibrate, she took it out and read her message. It was from Kyuhyun, asking for her email so that he could email several pieces of important information for their project. Hyerim texted him her email address. They had exchanges numbers during class earlier. Although they were now neighbors, they still decided to exchange numbers for easier communication. Hyerim looked at her phone's clock, only twenty minutes had passed.

"I'm bored. But i don't want to take a nap, I'm afraid I won't be able stay awake during the paper." Said Hyerim.

"Actually we should take a short power nap, it will help us conserve energy. We can take a short nap and take our time to head to the gym." Said Sohee.

The other girls agreed and Suzy pulled out the sofa beds from the sofa. The girls grabbed a pillow each and took a short nap. Hyerim set an alarm on her phone to ring after 30 minutes. Not long all of the girls had fallen asleep.

 

 


 

End of chapter 1! Well, as you can see only WooU, Kyulim and Sohee/Taemin are the ones that actually get along with each other. Myungzy and JJ Couple are always arguing. Well, more couple moments to come in the next chapter! Subscribe and comment, don’t be a silent reader!