Suzy's Secrets

Red Roses and Perfect Poison

Everybody has secrets. Not a single person in the world is without them. We're all hiding something. Every single one of us. If you think about it that way, you realize that it doesn't matter what the secret is, nor how big. Because at the end of the day, all secrets and all people are the same.

Jia had just finished reading aloud the journal entry in Fei's chamber. All eyes were on me. Shocked, horrified, frightened eyes. Fei shifted uncomfortably on her bed, glancing at Min and then back at me. "Suzy... sweetie... can you explain this? I mean... is it, what Jia said, true?"

"Yes." I breathed the word out slowly, for that one word let out nearly all of my secrets right there. It was a shame; I was doing so well hiding it, too. "Yes, it's all true. I have no clue how that journal got here. I tucked it away in a place nobody would find it. Strange."

Min snorted. "Strange? You think that's strange? What's 'strange' is that you did that stuff, sent us to this Oriental, had our memories wiped, and somehow managed to keep all of that hidden for so long! And by 'strange,' I mean insane!"

"Calm down, Min," I told her. "The walls have ears."

"They don't."

"True, but the person standing on the other side of it does." At my words, the shadow of a figure slipped away from view. Fei stood up and harshly slid open the door, the other three of us following.

"She went that way!" The eldest ran down the hallway as elegantly as one could, and we did our best to keep up with her. "Damn it! We should not have kept meeting in the same place everytime. Someone was bound to figure it out eventually." We rushed down hallways, turned sudden corners, and ducked through open doors as we followed the girl wearing a red kimono.

"Something is not right about this..."

"What do you mean, Jia?" Fei called back.

"I mean, she's matching our speed perfectly. And she's slowing down at the corners to make sure we see her turning them. She's doing this on purpose; she wants us to follow her. It might be a trap!"

"Well, right now, we don't have any more options open!"

Jia sighed, but continued running. I agreed with her. I could tell Min did as well. Even Fei herself knew it was a trap. Unfortunately, she was right-- we didn't have another choice. This woman couldn't get out with our secrets.

Eventually, we reached the abandoned wing of the Oriental. The stranger in front of us slipped through a door, the four of us following suit. We looked around silently, catching our breaths, trying to figure out where our mystery woman went.

"What the hell? She came this way, right? How come we can't see her? This is a closed-off room..."

Suddenly, a loud sound rang through my ears. I turned to see Fei lying on the floor. The person we were chasing after stood above her with a pan, a white cloth masking her face.

"Hey!" Min yelled, breaking into the marital arts we had been taught at the Oriental. She threw punches at her foe with her muscular arms, delivering a high-kick that her opponent dodged easily. The other woman caught Min's wrists in one hand and deivered the same blow to the head that Fei had recieved. I looked at Jia, knowing that her skills weren't any better than Min's.

"Run."

She started to do just that, but the woman went after her. I stepped between them, blocking the punches thrown at me. I was the best fighter out of us, so I knew I had a good chance. We dodged and attempted to strike each other. The two of us somehow fell into a perfect rhythm of fluid, well-balanced movements. The pattern seemed almost familiar. I gave her a spin-kick to the jaw, but she bent backwards and caught my foot all at once, raising the pan above her head. Oh well, I thought, at least one of us could get away...

 

I began to regain my senses, which scared me. Shouldn't I have been dead? All covered in stab wounds with my blood in a message on the wall of my chamber? My eyelids slowly fluttered open, and I tried to rub them with my hand, but I found both hands tied above my head. My feet were also bound at the ankles. I finally became aware of my surroundings. I was in the Oriental's dungeon, and my sisters were lying beside me in postitions alike to mine.

"Fei? Jia? Min?"

"Oh, Suzy's finally awake, guys."

"Good! I was worried; you've always been quick to recover."

"She must have hit you pretty hard."

I sighed. "My head is killing me... Where is she?"

"We don't know. When we woke up, she was already gone."

"Perfect," I muttered. "Does anybody have a plan? Jia?"

"Not a clue. My head still hurts too much to think."

"Say, Jia... why are you here? I watched you escape."

"That woman is a machine. She could run twice as fast as I. But... thank you for trying. I apologize for pretty much leaving you for dead. I just thought that if I was quick enough, I could get help before you three turned into a bloodbath. It was foolish of me."

"No, you did the right thing. Thank you." There was a seemingly endless silence that held over us like a sheet of foggy ice before Jia cleared and began to speak.

"Suzy... can you tell us more about our past?" I winced. "Please. I want to know. I want to know so badly."

"Most of my secrets are already out. I don't want them all to be gone. Besides, I don't want you to hate me more than you already do."

"We don't hate you," Fei cooed softly.

"I do," grunted Jia.

"She's lying," Min informed me. "She was the most worried out of anybody when she woke up and saw you still unconscious."

"Hey, shut up!" I heard a pitiful sigh escape her blood-colored lips. "Suzy, please. I hate not knowing. I have to know. You are hiding my life away from me, and I can't bare it."

I pressed my eyelids together, thinking. Now that they already knew a piece of the truth, might as well tell them the rest. It was more than likely that we would die, anyway. "Okay. What do you want to know first?"

"Our parents."

"Well, my parents are different than your parents, Jia. My parents are in a far away world after dropping me off in this world. At a children's asylum. As you have probably guessed by now, I am mentally ill. As for your parents... I've never met your father, but your mother is right beside you."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that Fei isn't your sister. You and Min are the only siblings among the four of us."

Another silence filled the air. I wasn't sure how long I could stand it. Eventually, Jia continued speaking. "Wait... stop... Th-this doesn't make sense! In my journal, it said we were all sisters! And how can Fei be a mother when our ages are so close?"

"I escaped from the asylum when I was very young, and she found me and took me in, so I became somewhat of a sister to you girls. That's why I'm like a sister to you girls. And as for Fei, she lied to you two. She's not twenty, she's twenty-eight. You aren't eighteen, you are seventeen. Min isn't seventeen, she's sixteen just like me. Fei was a young mother."

"How do you know about this?"

"Fei told me everything. You see, those with mental disorders are in fact great at reading people and in turn manipulating them. Min, you were the only one that I couldn't trick. Congratulations, I suppose."

"I can't believe it... I am a mother?" Fei asked in disbelief.

"That's correct. You are. I didn't want any of you to remember what happened, so when Jia came back from her journey a year later, the same time that Min came home from running away to God only knows where, I took us to the Oriental. They erased your memories at my request and and trained us to fight. It was the only way I could have you forget."

"What about the Oriental? You know the secrets, don't you?"

I sighed. Honestly, I didn't know. I didn't care anymore either. What with all that was happening to us, the Oriental could keep its secret. I didn't want it. It could only cause trouble.

Suddenly, the dungeon door began to creak open. We all jumped. Apparently our kidnapper didn't even lock the door when she left, which was surprising.

I finally saw her body clearly for the first time. She had long blonde hair that cascaded down her tanned shoulders in waves, resting against the back of her cherry-red kimono. Something about her seemed frightfully nostalgic. Her face was still covered, though, so I couldn't tell just why. "Bae Suji," she murmered in a husky voice. I tensed. Nobody in the Oriental knew my name. "It's been such a looooong time!" Her whiny, slurred speach assulted my ears as it echoed off the dungeon walls. The other three looked at me as if waiting for explaination. I wished I had one.

"How long? Just how long has it been, I wonder?" She pulled a large knife out of her sash, giggling. "So, so long... When was the last time we played Psychiatrist? When was the last time we pulled sneaky tricks on the White Ones and made them sooooo scared?"

I gasped when it finally hit me. It couldn't possibly be her, though. She was locked away tight in Level Ten and put on twenty-four hour watch. Level Tenners were given life sentences too, so she couldn't have been released either. It couldn't be the girl I was thinking of. It didn't matter how alike they were.

Then again, despite the fact that she was delusional and constantly seemed to be drunk, she always was a genius.

She bent over me, her kimono dipping down to reveal the familiar snake tattoo on the right side of her chest, and I knew my suspicions were true.

"Suji... how long since you ran away from home, darling?" She took off the white cloth, giving me her signature unsettling grin. Would it be wrong to say that I missed it?

"Lee Chaerin," I greeted with a bitter grin. "It's been years. I see you have escaped."

She gave a low chuckle. "Just following in your footsteps, dear."

So, it was her. My childhood best friend and the asylum's most insane child. It shouldn't have surprised me that she was behind it all. That girl had more secrets than everyone in the Oriental put together. What's one more to add to her list?


Woooooah, didn't see that coming, did ya? To be honest, neither did I .___.

I swear I haven't been neglecting this fic, I've just been writing and rewriting this chapter for months because I could never get it riiiiight... /slapped for speaking like insane!Chaerin/

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! Thanks for reading, and tell me what you think below~ Only one (maybe two) chapter(s) left!!