Step Mother

My Life, The Soap Opera

I stared out onto the view that was visible from the rooftop where I was standing at the moment. Sighing I took my eyes off the view and picked up the little sprayer that was filled with water and started watering the few plants I had up here.

Truthfully, I didn’t like this planting thing. Not that I don’t like flowers or anything is that I’m not the girl to get down and dirty, I only like the beauty of things. But alas, Seunghyun said I needed a hobby outside of my job, and so here I am… bored out of my mine…

“Umma!” I heard the familiar voice of my neighbor’s daughter come from the yard of their house which was visible from the rooftop.

Setting the sprayer down, I crouched near the edge of the rooftop and peered into my neighbor’s yard.

“Appa andwae!” the girl shrieked in between laughter as her mother and father tickled her on the soft grass of the yard.

I smiled unknowingly seeing the happy family. I wonder when I last played like that with my mom and dad, probably 20 years ago…

I wonder if I’ll ever get to experience something like that again… but with Seunghyun…

“Baby, what are you doing?” Seunghyun’s voice came from out of nowhere.

I jumped up and turned around to see Seunghyun standing behind me, looking confused as he held 2 cups of what looks like ice lemon tea in his hands.

“Oh, nothing.” I lied, my voice a bit higher than usual. “Is that for me?”

Seunghyun looked at where I was pointing and held out the lemon tea towards me. “Oh yeah, I’d thought you’d need this, it’s pretty hot now.”

I took the lemon tea from Seunghyun’s hand and took a sip. “Thanks babe.” I said before leaning up, pecking Seunghyun lightly on the cheek.

We both sat on the little bench in the corner under the shade of a small canopy Seunghyun built for me when I first started planting those flowers just a few days before the wedding.

While Seunghyun stared into space, sipping the cold beverage, I stared at the ground, still listening to the little laughs of our neighbor’s daughter, Haru.

Haru is the sweetest little kid ever. I remember when I first saw this house and ran into Haru in the street. She was the cutest little kid I’ve ever seen… and on that moment, I wanted one of my own… a daughter.

‘But I know it’s impossible.’ I thought sneaking a glance at Seunghyun who was still staring into space.

Sure, he’s now a married man, settled down with me… but fatherhood? I don’t think he’s ready for that, scratch that, I know he’s not ready for that.

“Why are you thinking so hard?” I felt a hand wrap around my shoulders.

Smiling, I rested my head on Seunghyun’s shoulder before sipping my tea. “I’m not thinking.”

“Jinjja?” Seunghyun asked suspiciously.

I looked up at him and gave my husband the most convincing smile I could muster up.

“Yes, now drink quickly. It’s hot; I wanna just go read inside.” I fake scolded him.

We went inside the cold room of the study on the 3rd floor, just under the rooftop where we’d been a few minutes earlier.

Suddenly my phone started ringing. I took the pink note phone from my pocket only to see the caller id: Secretary Kang.

“Yeobseo?” I picked up.

“Ah Eun Hye-ssi! Finally I can get a hold on you. How was the honeymoon?” The cheerful voice of Secretary Kang rang from the phone speakers.

“It was wonderful, thank you for asking.” I answered happily.

“Wonderful! Wonderful!” He responded and I practically could see his wide smile in front of me. “Now dear, I’m calling on behalf of your father…”

“My father? What’s wrong?” I asked, feeling panic grow inside me.

“Oh no no no… Everything’s fine dear.” Secretary Kang reassured and I sighed in relief. “It’s just that your father invited you and Seunghyun for a small dinner tonight.”

“Tonight?” I asked.

“Yes, at 7 PM.” Secretary Kang answered.

I turned to Seunghyun and mouthed: ‘Are you free tonight?’

‘I guess.’ He said shrugging.

“Ok, we’ll be there tonight at 7.” I answered Secretary Kang.

“Wonderful! See you tonight my dear!” he chirped before ending the call.

“So… where are we going tonight?” Seunghyun asked as I took a seat on the small pink sofa near the window.

“My dad’s place, he’s having a small dinner tonight.” I answered and Seunghyun raised his eyebrows at me.

“That’s odd.” He wondered aloud. “Usually, your dad doesn’t do small dinners with only us.” Seunghyun said with a worried look on his face.

I stood up and walked over to Seunghyun before holding his hand, tugging him off the chair he was currently sitting in.

“Well, he probably wants to talk, that’s all.” I said. “C’mon, we better get ready now.”

Tugging harder, I finally got Seunghyun off his cute little and dragged him to our bedroom to get ready, even with the bad feeling lurking in my stomach.

‘He probably just wanna check on us… that’s all… nothing bad about that, right Eun Hye?’ I thought as I flipped through the dress rack I’ve grown since high school.

‘We’re newlyweds, it’s normal for parents to check on us right?’       I comforted myself.                

After picking out casual yet formal attire, Seunghyun and I got into our white Bentley and drove to my dad’s house, which was, sadly to say, on the other side of town.

“Oppa, put in Jiyong’s wedding gift.” I said leaning back into my couch like seat of the passenger’s seat.

“You really like that mix tape, don’t you?” Seunghyun asked, putting in the disk with pink hearts into the CD player of the car.

“Well, he learned to make music from the best, right?” I asked Seunghyun who smiled cockily before turning up the music our best friend Jiyong made for us.

Jiyong, Kwon Jiyong, G-Dragon, or better known as the best music producer in town is thankfully my best friend and Seunghyun’s hoobae. I met him a few years ago, his music was… different.

Despite the fact that he made songs for clubs, he also made slow, acoustic songs, which. I. Love.

And he’s the reason me and Seunghyun are together to this day.

I spent a lot of time inside his studio, because I was curious. How do you make that kind of music? Where do you get the inspiration? What’s the process? But because I stuck around so much, I also became closer to Seunghyun.

I guess you could call Jiyong cupid. Cupid Dragon? G-Cupid? Whatever…

“We’re here.” Seunghyun said snapping me out of my thoughts.

“Oh, we better go in,” I said looking at the small white watch I was wearing. “It’s almost 7.”

Seunghyun nodded and exited the car. As we walked up to the door, I got more nervous and nervous, worried if bad news awaits me inside this mansion walls.      

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Seunghyun asked shaking my arm lightly.

“Huh?” I looked up to meet my hubbie’s worried gaze. “Oh, I’m fine, kinda nervous that’s all.”

“You? Nervous?” Seunghyun chuckled lightly before continuing to speak. “He’s your father, why should you be nervous?”

“I just feel… oh, forget it.” I said, dropping the subject. “Wait, aren’t you nervous?”

Seunghyun raised his eyebrow at me. “Why should I be nervous? Your dad loves me... right?”

“Right~” I said in the most unconvincing voice ever. “He just adores you.”

“Wait, he doesn’t hate me, does he?” Seunghyun freaked out.

“Of course, he doesn’t, he loves you just like… I love you.” I said and Seunghyun smiled, wrapping an arm around me as we walked.

We were both greeted by the always smiling Secretary Kang in the doorway before he led us to the big dining hall.

“Mr. Yoon will be here in a second, kids.” Secretary Kang said before leaving Seunghyun and I in the dining hall.

“I forgot how big your house was.” Seunghyun said and I chuckled at him.

“Like your house is any smaller.” I chuckled.

Just then the big door that we came in through earlier opened.

“Dad!” I squeaked and got up, running to my dad but stopped midway when I saw an unfamiliar women, probably near her fifties step up from behind my father.

“Hello, Seunghyun,” My dad said nodding in Seunghyun’s direction before looking at me. “Eun Hye… I’d like you to meet your future step mother, Lee Mi Sook.”

“Annyeong.” Lee Mi Sook said with a cold look towards me.



Comment juseyo /pouts/~