Just a normal day

To be Announced

The world was kind to me till that day.  I don't know what I did or how karma works, but I must've done something terrible to earn the position that I've been given and the situation that I've been unluckily forced into.

I was walking to go meet my wife ~~~~~(your name) for lunch at the place I proposed--it was our anniversary and I was so excited. 

I was rushing, buying flowers, making sure I had her card and her present.  I wanted her to feel loved and I wanted her to know that it would never change.  I walked onto the sidewalk, carrying my items, when I heard it.

"BAM BAM"

Shells falling

Feet padding

The sidewalk was suddenly at my fingertips, the flowers still iun my hand, the card in my jacket pocket, and the special present still in my pocket.  

Other people were screaming and I watched people fall as more shots were fired--

I wasn't shot, at least, I didn't feel like I was, with the adrenaline making me more alert to the action and numbed to the pain

Woman were screaming, hiding their children underneath them as the shooters fired more rounds out of the building I had passed.  I motioned for them to move into the hedges next to the building where we wouldn't have been seen, and reached for my phone to call the police.  

A girl didn't quite make it into the bush when the shooter came out of the building, red-faced and angry.  He spied her and aimed quickly--

I screamed "MOVE" and then..

 

I jumped in the way--That girl.  I couldn't just let her die.

 

I heard the screams and sudden warmth rushing out of my chest as the bullet pierced and embedded itself in my chest,

I remember falling down onto my knees then onto the sidewalk, I was not going to live and I knew that, but the girl would, I hoped.  I hoped that what I did wasn't in vain. 

Then, I felt the pain.

The pain of never seeing my beautiful wife again.

I was never going to make it to our anniversery date, she might never search my pockets and find my note and present. 

The pain of my wound.

The pain ~~~~~ would have to endure at the hospital where the doctors pronounce me dead--

I imagined her there, waiting for me, worrying, or maybe angry thinking that I had forgotten even though she knew I never would. 

 

A few weeks ago we had found out she was pregnant.. my child would never be able to meet me.

My family would never see me again and I would never see them again.

My vision began to blur and darken and I felt it setting in--death.

"No.. not.. like this.. not yet.." I huffed and tried to keep my eyes open but darkness quickly overtook me.