I Love You

The Coffee Shop

{Kris's P.O.V}

 

About a year after I met Jem, I got  phone call from my grandfather in Shanghai.

He wanted me to help my father with the family company since he was recently diagnosed with lung cancer.

I had told him to wait until I had graduated from University, and now since I have my family has been nagging me to return constantly.

"Kris, it's time to come home noe. Enpugh of this foolishness, you're nothing but a mere waiter there, here you will be a C.E.O"

I knew the tone of voice he used all too well. I had no choice in this matter.

 

I then prepared to leave, I explained everything to the owner of the cafe and he understood.

But there was something I had to absolutely do before I left.

I had to see Jem....at least one more time.

I didn't know how to explain this to her.

I didn't want her to be sad, no, not anymore, not for someont like me.

I wouldn't be able to bear it if I saw her cry.

 

I had realized months ago that I had fallen for the blunt, insomniac writer named Jem. 

I wasn't exactly sure if she felt the same way, but I thik we both knew we had a very unique realtionship.

As I waited for her to arrive, I reminised about the times we spent together.

When she finally published her first book, the pure joy held in her eyes,

the turmoil with her family that I could relate to...

the innocence she held even if she acted jaded. I loved everything about her.

 

As if on cue, she walked in.

She looked so much more than the girl I met a year ago.

She no longer had dark circles under her eyes, her complextion was a lot healthier as well.

But the thing that never changes was the almost un-earthly aura she had.

She seemed ro radiate everything good in this world...

or was that just what I thought?

 

When she saw me she smiled, the real smile only I got to see.

"Hey, are you alright Kris?" she asked "You look a bit pale."

I cleared my throat "Yeah uhm, could I talk to your for a minute?" I asked.

"Alright."

 

We went to the roof of the building where the staff usually went on their break.

I lit a cigarette and took a long drag before speaking, I really needed to calm my nerves.

Jem was silent. She had good instincts and she could read me like one of her own books, she knew something was wrong.

I exhaled a lung's worth of toxins into the night air.

"Listen, you know that my family has this company in Shanghai right?" I asked.

She nodded cautiously.

"You've mentioned your family before, but I thought like me, you're weren't exactly on the best terms with them."

"I'm not, but my grandfather wants me to help my father because he's sick," I told her.

She nodded, looking at me to continue.

 

"Before I moved here, I told them I would only stay until I got my bachelor's degree, that was two years ago, now I have to go back."

I said. I inhaled once more from the 'cancer stick' between my index and middle finger.

"So....when are you leaving?" she asked, her voice suddenly almost as faint as the breeze.

"In three days," I replied.

She gripped the railing tightly, she spoke through clenched teeth.

"Kris, tell me honestly, do you want to go back?"

 

I paused thinking. It was hard to say, it had been six years since I left home...SIX YEARS.

I did miss some of them, but...then there was Jem.

I really did care about her, she was someone who only came around once in a lifetime, I knew it.

I exhaled another cloud of smoke and answered.

"Honestly, I don't like the work, but this is the first time in six years that my family wants me, they....actually need me.

I can't just abandon them.

I also made a promise and have already broken it. This is how I have to se thing right."

 

She nodded slowly, staring off into the horizon.

"Kris, give me your cigarette," she said calmly.

I handed it to her, curious because I knew she wasn't a smoker, she was always on about how I was killing myself with my 'bad habit'. 

Taking the cigarette in her left hand she grabbed my wrist with her right.

She put the lit end against my wrist. I flinched at the pain.

She dropped my hand and repeated the action with her own wrist.

 

"Jem! What was that!" I exclaimed rubbing the wound.

She held up her hand showing me the small but perfect circle of a burn.

"You should know this Kris, I'm not the type to let things go easily.

Now just like that mark, you won't be able to erase me."

 

I wouldn't dream of it I thought. I sighed slightly.

Even if I only knew her for a short period of time, I really did think I fell for her even more now.

But I was being unfair, telling her suddenly that I was leaving and that she was left to deal with it.....

even so, she still considered my perspective and didn't beg me to stay.

Some may think that this made her ot care about me and I should feel hurt, but this is the best thing Jem could do for me right now.

She wasn't making this any harder than it had to be.

 

I was happy that I met her.

I took her hand in mine, like kids do when making a 'pinky-swear'.

"I won't forget you." I promised.

"Good." she said as a single tear trailed down her face.

I wrapped my arms around her as she cried silently.

I blinked back my own tears as I prayed this wouldn't be the last time I saw her.

Through our tears we managed to say the best parting words

.

.

.

.

.

"I love you."