Chapter 1

The Cliffs of Insanity

 

Kyungsoo finds himself on an empty street, and then he faces his father, who died in a car accident before he entered high school. A couple of seconds later Kyungsoo starts hearing whispers, at the beginning he doesn’t understand what are they saying, then he figure it out; they are saying his name; just his name, even if he try to cover his ears he can’t stop listening them. After a while some figures starts appearing in the street and with them, fog. The figures make a sound which appear a mixed between a sob and a scream, their faces are pale full of scars when they get closer to Kyungsoo they smile at him, at first they look happy by seeing him but then Kyungsoo notice their teeth; their teeth are full of blood. Kyungsoo try to scream but any sound came from his mouth. He pulls himself to wall and close his eyes hoping for everything to go away. Instead of that someone touch his shoulder.

“Kyungsoo” a voice said “I’m coming home, just wait for me” Kyungsoo recognize the voice, it wasn’t his father’s voice however it was familiar.

Kyungsoo woke up startled in his bedroom, for two weeks he has the same nightmare, every night was similar; the voice muttered those words which made Kyungsoo shiver every time he thought about it, he always wake up soaked in sweat so he always had to take a shower in the morning.

At the way to work, he kept thinking about the dream, since his father died Kyungsoo tried hard to not think about him; his mother abandoned Kyungsoo when he was 2 years old, he was raised by his father until his death; Kyungsoo didn’t understand why he had this nightmare.

“Kyungsoo” Someone shouted behind him. He looked back and saw Minseok, a journalist who worked in the newspaper with Kyungsoo. “I was calling you almost since you left your building”

“I’m sorry” Kyungsoo apologized “I’m a little bit distracter today”

“Not just today” Minseok explained “You are acting weird since last week” Kyungsoo looked down, he didn’t realized that he was acting weird “Maybe you need some break from work, to go visit other country like Italia, to meet someone and eat pasta and lasagna” Minseok slighted and continued talking “or maybe France or Spain or Portugal” After that Kyungsoo stop listening Minseok, even if he tried to listen to him it was difficult to concentrate.

As they arrived at the newspaper’s building everyone cheer then, Minseok went to his department, the soccer section and Kyungsoo went to the elevator, there was Kim Joon Myun, Park Chanyeol, Oh Sehun and Hwang Stephanie, a woman who worked at the world news section.

“Kyungsoo, we all are going to dinner together” Sehun said behind Kyungsoo “You should come too” Kyungsoo didn’t said anything for a while, he took some time to understand what Sehun said.

“I’ll try” Kyungsoo replied

“You are acting weird” Chanyeol remarked “Where is the extroverted guy you used to be? Did something happen?”

“What? No, It‘s just…” Kyungsoo stopped talking because he didn’t knew why he was like that, he was feelings something in his throat that doesn’t allowed to speak, he could felt the oncoming tears in his eyes as he was going to cry at any moment; he didn’t had a reason for these feelings, his head was full of questions without answer, he had more questions than the usual; and he couldn’t answer them, no one could.

Kyungsoo left the elevator and went to his office without a word, he wanted everyone to disappear; in the past he was afraid to be alone but now he was afraid that was how he wanted to be.

When he arrived to his office, Huang Zitao, Kyungsoo’s assistant was already there.

“Hyung, I’ve already started working but I left the interesting ones in your desk” Kyungsoo took a look to the tittles the one who gave him more interest were “The number of Schizophrenia casas has increase”; Kyungsoo’s father was a psychiatrist and used to tell him about the most horrible diseases that he had faced.

At the lunch time, Kyungsoo went to a restaurant with Zitao, they sat with Wu Fan, the director of the newspaper, Wu Fan and Zitao spent the whole lunch talking about the news, Kyungsoo tried hard to be in the conversation but his mind kept running away from reality.

Kyungsoo was looking outside the restaurant when he thought he saw a girl, at the other side of the street, dressed with a school uniform with a long dark hair with her nose bleeding looking at him, smiling and walking in his direction however when a car almost hit her she disappeared. Kyungsoo thought he was going crazy but he noticed a girl just like the other walking normally.

“Kyungsoo, what’s wrong?” Wu fan asked when he saw Kyungsoo looking at the widow with a flustered look.

“Nothing, I think I saw a girl almost being hit by a car”

“Look, Kyungsoo there were a lot of people who came to me and told me that you were acting odd.” Wu fan said “You should have a break, you work in my newspaper since 2009 and since that year you never had a break, each year every employee has 2 weeks off” He continued “tomorrow you’ll stay home, I just want to see you again working next week. It’s an order”

Kyungsoo looked at him surprised; he used the work to forget about his problems, he didn’t want a break but Wu fan was right.

“Fine, maybe that’s my problem, I need some rest” Kyungsoo trembled. The rest of the lunch was quiet, with some small talks trying to break the silence.

During the afternoon the sky became gray each minute darker than before, a typical autumn afternoon, Zitao brought some cappuccinos in the middle of the afternoon; they both worked while they talked about what they like to do in free time. Kyungsoo discover that Zitao like to draw and Kyungsoo remembered that in high school he used to play violin; he still has the violin he used to play, he also played piano which learn with his cousin a half Korean half British, she was a few years older and lived in London but sometimes she came to Korea during the summer to be with Kyungsoo, she taught him piano and tried to teach him english but he was terrible.

When Kyungsoo was about to go home the rain started falling, he always had an umbrella in his office to this kind of situation. At the way home Kyungsoo heard a meow and searched for a cat. Then He found a cat in a box with a sign saying “Please take me home”, the cat was small, it had a short gray hair and deep blue eyes. Kyungsoo needed a company and the cat was looking at him almost screaming for a place to live.

Kyungsoo arrived home and gave the cat some milk; He decided to call her Ruby since the cat was female. He went to the nearest convenience store to buy cat food and everything a cat needed and some food for his dinner.

Kyungsoo finished eating and stayed in the kitchen looking at Ruby eating her food too fast.

“Ruby, you shouldn’t eat so fast you can choke your food.” He said to the little gray cat “I don’t want to lose you at the same day I lost J-” Kyungsoo stopped talking with tears going down on his cheeks, he didn’t realized it the whole day; Jongin disappeared four years ago, 17th November. His mind made him forget which day it was because it was too painful to remember and know that he knew; a smile made by a small cat eating too fast was replaced by non- stopping tears. He never had felt that way before; he never cried over Jongin’s vanishing previously; he had a cataclysm of emotions and didn’t know why.

An hour later, Kyungsoo was sat on the kitchen’s floor staring at a wall with an empty expression when unexpectedly someone knocks the door.

“Hyung, I’m sorry if you’re busy” Sehun said when Kyungsoo opens the door, behind Sehun there was Luhan, Minseok, Tao and Kris “You didn’t came to our dinner, so we decided to come to you. I need to say something important and I wanted you to ear it”

“I’m really sorry, I wanted to go” He replied “I found a cat on the street, she needed a home so I brought her”

Kyungsoo lead them to the living room; his living room was always clean it had a white couch and a big television, Kyungsoo enjoyed to read so he had tons of book; in a small table near the couch there was a book that Kyungsoo wanted to read but he never had enough time.

“So, we haven’t told anyone because we wanted everyone to know at the same time” Sehun started.

“We?” Minseok asked with a strange look, Kyungsoo sat down and Ruby ran to his lap, even if they only had met in less than three hours Ruby treated him really good and Kyungsoo loved her.

“Yes, Sehun and I started dating last week” Luhan said looking at Sehun smiling, Kyungsoo looked at Sehun who was looking at his hands smiling, there was a strange atmosphere in the room everyone was quiet, until Tao broke the silence and congratulated them everyone did the same after him. They stayed in Kyungsoo house for a while drinking coffee and tea, everyone seemed happy but the happiest one was Ruby, She was truly happy; maybe for having a home, maybe for being around people; she looked like a child in Christmas who had so much things to look at and didn’t know which one should give attention first.

At late night Kyungsoo was trying to fall asleep and, as usual, he kept making questions that anyone could answer, anyone but Jongin.

Kyungsoo was in his old school, he could hear classical music, not far from there; the music gave him shivers, and he knew it from somewhere, he walked in its direction; the music came from the dance room, inside Kyungsoo could see two persons dancing. After a while looking at them he was able to recognize the girl, It was Claire Palletier, a beautiful French girl from the first year; every guy from his class had a crush on her. In the room, there was Claire and a guy that Kyungsoo couldn’t see who was, they kept dancing until the end of it, at the end they both sat down.

“I still think this music is creepy” The guy said, Kyungsoo recognized the voice, He leaded against the wall with his hand on his chest; it was Jongin, Jongin was dancing with the girl everyone wanted to be near of, Kyungsoo felt weird, he didn’t knew why, but he felt angry and replaced; He didn’t want that girl near Jongin, they were both too pretty and Kyungsoo didn’t want to lose him.

“” sobbed Kyungsoo when he realized why he felt that way; Kyungsoo loved Jongin.

“You’ll fall for her; just like I did” Claire said “It’s from my favorite movie, “The Princess Bride””

“What’s the song’s name, again?” Jongin asked

“The Cliffs of Insanity” Claire replied “One day we could watch the movie together”

“Of course, but I have to go” Jongin added “Kyungsoo is waiting for me, he must be worried”

By hearing that, Kyungsoo panicked; Jongin couldn’t see him there, almost crying, He hurried to leave that floor. He went to the school’s gate, after a couple minutes he saw Jongin and Claire coming, laughing happily; Kyungsoo felt the tears coming back to his eyes, but tried hard to make them disappear.

“Sorry, I’m late” Jongin reported. Kyungsoo looked at him and them at the girl, trying to hide his anger and look the most normal possible

“I can see that” He agreed “Let’s go”

“Which way are you going?” Claire asked

“Left” Jongin answered

“Okay, our ways separate here then, see you tomorrow”

Kyungsoo and Jongin started their way home in silence, Kyungsoo wanted to talk about Claire but he didn’t know about to start.

“Do… Do you like her?” Kyungsoo questioned with his voice trembling

“Yeah, she is really nice” Jongin answered calmly, Kyungsoo looked at the ground, he wanted to ask a million of questions but he didn’t want to make them.

“So… Do you plan… to date her?” He inquired after a while

“I never spoke on dating her; she’s just a really nice person” Jongin replied, Kyungsoo noticed a bit of anger in his voice

“But you both seem so… connected.” Kyungsoo explained “I think she likes you”

“Yeah, I know. She told me that she liked me last week”

“What did you told her?”

“I told her that I was interested in someone else, she understood that and we never talked about it again” Kyungsoo felt angry again, he wanted to know this person was.

“You like someone? Can I know who is?” Kyungsoo asked in difficult to make the words come out, he felt something in his throat that didn’t let him speak.

“Yeah, but you’ll know when the time comes” Jongin answered

They arrived Jongin’s house in silence; Kyungsoo hesitated, he didn’t want to let Jongin go, he wanted to stay there and hug him

“Come with me, I want to show you something” Jongin smiled. Kyungsoo followed him to the front door “My parents are off until Thursday” Right after saying that, Jongin grabbed Kyungsoo’s hand and pulled him inside the house, then he pushed him against the wall.

“It’s you, Kyungsoo” Jongin voiced “The one I love is you and you are an idiot for not realizing it.” Kyungsoo didn’t know what to answer, so he decided to do the first thing that came to his head, without thinking twice, Kyungsoo put his lips against Jongin’s, after some seconds Jongin kissed back, it was a lovely moment and Kyungsoo promised to never forget, Jongin led them to his room, there he placed his hand inside Kyungsoo’s shirt and kissed him again, this time Jongin’s tongue was inside Kyungsoo’s mouth, then he undressed Kyungsoo shirt and kissed his neck, Kyungsoo was embracing Jongin, nervous and happy. He gained courage and undressed Jongin; Jongin poked his head against Kyungsoo’s and whispered “I’m a loser who is addicted to a game called you” and kissed Kyungsoo again, Kyungsoo never felt that kind of happiness, he felt as free as a bird who could go to every part of the world, so he felt Jongin’s hand on his pants, he help Jongin taking off his pants following that the toke away Jongin’s pants as well.

In the following moments he felt brand new things, feelings that he never felt before, feelings that he didn’t want to lose, he felt a new kind of joy, a joy that was mixed with a unique pain and sweat.

“I’m sorry” Kyungsoo said when they were just lying in the bed completely “I wasn’t good enough”

“What is good enough?” Jongin replied “for me you were perfect” Jongin was going to continue but it was interrupted by Kyungsoo’s cellphone, it was his father, worried;

“What time is it?” Kyungsoo asked after turning off the cellphone

“8 pm, you have to go, don’t you?” Jongin whined “I was going to say to stay with me, but your father must be really worried”

Kyungsoo dressed up and kissed Jongin’s lips, He was really happy for finally doing that. He left the house with a stupid smile, hoping to be tomorrow so he could see Jongin once again.

Kyungsoo woke up sweat with Ruby on his back, he was happy for not having that nightmare and instead of that dreaming with the happiest moment of his life.