Chapter 15: Andrew’s Testimony

Redemption

~Author’s Note: Please read Andrew’s parents testimony again in Chapter 14 as there is information added that wasn’t there before and will be very important for this chapter. Thanks :D Also credit for Andrew's Monologues go to Glee! Enjoy Chapter 15~

 

Andrew’s POV

After a rather silent lunch, it was my turn to take the stand. This was the part I had been dreading from the very beginning. They could ask me anything here and my temper might get the best of me. We all made our way back to the courtroom and I couldn’t sit still, I didn’t want to do this. But if I want those bastards to get what they deserve for doing what they did, I had to.

 

The judge slowly made her way back in and we stood up/sat down as she did. Finally, she cleared and began to speak, “As stated earlier, the final testimony will be from Andrew Jung.”

She looked at me and I nodded, slowly getting up and making my way over to the stand and the bailiff was there waiting to swear me in. “Mr. Jung do you solemnly swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help you God?”

“Yeah.” I said bitterly. He looked at me with pity and nodded that we could continue on with the trial. Well that’s just great, my parent’s lawyer will be going first. in’ perfect. I looked over at Topanga giving her a slight glare. You couldn’t have gone first? She caught me eyes and just nodded at me to play along. What the hell? You got some mind game going on? Whatever... I tore my gaze away from her and anyone else and tried to shake it off because I had to be ready for anything.   

The lawyer was kind enough to wait for me to become more mentally focused and then he asked me, “Ready now Mr. Jung?”

I nodded and he proceeded to continue. “Mr. Jung, we’ve heard from a lot of people today about what happened over the course of the time that your parents were abusing you and you’ve been very silent through the whole ordeal. Not so much as a peep from you, why is that?”

I let out a sigh, “I’d be told to keep quiet and getting upset over it wouldn’t help my case now would it?”

He let out a chuckle and said, “Actually strike what I just said because I recall, that you did get upset. You whacked the table, isn’t that right?”

I nodded. “I let my temper get the best of me.”

Now he nodded and looked at me with a glint in his eyes that I didn’t like. “I see, I see, does that happen often? Losing your temper, I mean. Because if it does, I imagine that it would take a lot of discipline to curb you of that habit.”

“Well, you try taking care of two drunk adults, as well as yourself. After a while it’s hard not to blow up, especially when you’re being beaten and cussed at. Don’t you dare insinuate that their beatings were to discipline me. It’s a natural response for anybody’s body to rise to the challenge.” I said struggling to keep my voice calm.

He chuckled. “Okay there tiger, no need to get snippy. I was just asking a question. /my eyes narrowed/ Now, we all know what happened during the time you were with your parents and when your sisters went away to Korea. And the night things came crashing down for you, leading you to be here sitting in front of me. But what I want to hear about is how you feel about your sisters, specifically Jessica?”

I raised my eyebrows in confusion. “What do you mean?”

He shrugged. “Do you think you can trust her and Krystal to take care of you after they’ve already left you once?”

I took a deep breath knowing the next few words would hurt Jessica. “I love my sisters and I know that if I were to live with them, Jessica would try her best to be there for me. But, it’ll be hard for her to be there with her schedule.”

“So you admit that she wouldn’t be able to take care of you?’ He smiled, clearly enjoying the fact that he was finally making some headway.

“That’s not what I said.” I snapped back, trying not to look at Jessica. But just because I wasn’t looking at her doesn't mean I couldn’t hear her crying.

“Then could you please elaborate on that?” He said smugly.

I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose. “I’m sure that she would be able to take care of me just fine. The money wouldn’t be a problem and I’d definitely have somewhere to live, but she physically wouldn’t be there that often. /I took a deep breath before continuing on/ She loves me a lot and would do whatever it takes to be there for emotional and physical support, but I don’t want her to give up on her dreams for me.”

He started to pace back and forth, which annoyed the hell out of me. “Huh, sounds to me like you don’t want her to have custody over you? Am I correct?”

I growled in frustration. Why can’t you just shut the up?! “That's not it. It’s complicated, okay?!”

He stopped pacing and stood right in front of me, looking directly into my eyes, “What’s so complicated about it? Hmmmm… if you’re parents did what you said they did, wouldn’t you want to be away from them? To be out of their hands? To protect your sister from the same pain?”

“Objection!” Topanga cried out. Thank you for FINALLY saying something!

The judge looked like she was at a crossroad, it was really hard for her to make a choice. She made eye contact with me and mouthed sorry before saying, “Overruled. Mr. Kim, please stop badgering the witness, but Andrew I need you to answer the question.”

I was starting to see red and could feel all the emotions rising to the surface. “Of course I want to be away from them. /voice rises/ Of course I want to protect my sisters from suffering for what I did. /voice rises even more/  But that doesn’t mean I want them to give up everything for me! If Jessica were to get custody of just Krystal, she could take care of her no problem. Hell, she’s been doing it for years! Their schedules are always busy, but they find the time for each other and it works. She doesn’t have to stay with Krystal all the time to make sure she’s “taken care of” and they can both pursue what they want in life. All that would probably change for Jessica if she gains custody of the both of us!”

He paused to think for a moment before saying, “This whole time, you’ve been saying that you love her and she loves you, but is that really true?”

I shot him a death glare. “I thought lawyers were supposed to be smart? Are you stupid or something?”

He continued on like I hadn’t said anything, “It sounds like you’re afraid of what'll happen to your relationship with Jessica after she gains custody. Are you afraid to go with her because she might resent you later on if she has to give everything up for you or do you think she won’t go through with it after it’s all said and done? Or perhaps you don't love her as much as you say you do?”

in’ lawyer keep pushing, you won’t like what you see. “This has nothing to do with Jessica or Krystal! No one understands!”

The lawyer stopped right in front of the stand and got in my face, “Then make us! If there’s something you haven’t been telling us, I think we’d all like to know!”

I couldn’t take it anymore and I shot up from my chair, slamming my hands on the stand as hard as I could, forcefully getting into his face, “I’m nothing! /pauses into silence/ Don’t you get it? I’m nothing! I’m my family's black sheep, a burden! /pauses again/ You don’t know what it’s like to be worthless, where nothing you do matters! I feel like that every day of my life! Every damn day! Then I come to find out that my parents didn’t even want me to begin with and everything magically starts to make sense. Even before I was getting beaten, it was already like I didn’t exist, which is fine because I guess it was always like that to begin with! Are you able to understand that?!”

The judge looked over at Andrew with a kind expression. “Andrew, please try and calm down.”

 

I shook my head in defiance. “No! Even when I’m here supposedly getting justice, I still end up losing and I’m sick and tired of it!”

 

“Andrew, I’ll ask you one more time to calm down! I will not have violence of any kind in my courtroom. I would hate to have you escorted out during today's trial, so please behave yourself at once." The judge asked.

 

That did it for me. I had beyond had it with these people and this goddamn trial. “I don’t give a damn whether you have me escorted or not! What do you expect from me? I’m a person! They /points to my parents/ might not see me that way, but when they beat me up and tell me that I’m a useless mistake, whose dreams are stupid it really hurts! And you expect me to always be the bigger man and turn the other cheek? Tell myself that those dreams and how hard I work make me better than them? But it gets pretty damn hard to feel that way when they always get to win!”

 

“I get how upsetting this must be for you…-” The judge started to say.

 

I cut her off instantly. “No, you don’t! Don’t give me the it gets better crap either! I’m not interested in it getting better, want them to feel my pain because frankly that’s all I have left to give!”

The judge could tell that I had had enough and let me get off the stand. I couldn’t just sit back down though, I had to release my anger. I walked right past my chair, not caring about all the eyes that we're following me, through the door and hit the nearest piece of the wall that I could. All you heard was a loud bang echoing throughout the hall. Hopefully that’s what Topanga wanted to happen because I don’t think I’ll be allowed back up there let alone in this building if I break something.