growing up

Make A Shadow

   
S
oon enough you’ve learned one of the most important lessons in your life, which was: if you meet a ghost, even if he’s friendly, never try to convince other people that you can see that ghost. Because if you do, you’ll leave a person a) scared to death, b) thinking that you’re mentally insane, c) reporting you to the police, d) spreading rumors all over your school. And as stupid as it may seem, the last option was the scariest and the worst on this list that has happened to you. 

In the age of ten years old, you found out how cruel other people could be. Not exactly people, but kids. Well, you were a kid too, but you would never laugh at someone else’s… anything. And it was already a fact that the whole school was laughing at you. Pranking you. Calling you names that weren’t exactly nice or catchy. 

As a ten year-old kid you experienced a bit of a living hell, because let’s be honest – everything what’s bad in life almost always starts with rumors and being pushed out and away from the society.

Your mom knew what was going on, but she never seemed to have time for you, to talk to you, to spend some time with you. The first time she heard about you talking about your “imaginary friend” at school, she took you to a psychiatrist to see if your mentality was okay. And it was. Because you didn’t dare to say a word about Taemin to anybody after three girls in the class wrote “FREAK” on your school desk with a permanent marker. 

It was your first real life lesson. It was how it all started, and you wished that it had ended this way too, but it didn’t. You just waited patiently until you would be able to go to middle school.

And the only comfort in that whole situation was your “imaginary friend” himself – the one who was actually the reason of your distress. But in the same time he was a consolation. An assurance to yourself that what you said wasn’t your mind’s imagination, or some stupid way to show off, but truth. It wasn’t your problem or fault that this truth couldn’t be seen by everybody.

Still, it kinda hurt. To know that you’re right, but no one believes you. 

Taemin was a good friend. He was always there for during these three years. You were still too innocent at that time to ask him about how he died or… ask him anything in particular. You were talking about everything, but never about each his life. That was weird, but comfortable for both of you. Besides, what could a ten year old kid talk about with a 19 year old ghost kid? Not about the meaning of life, that’s for sure.

So every time you were back from school, he was watching you making yourself dinner and mumbling something about your mom being a horrible parent (he actually seemed to be quite fixated on the parents manner), and then you sat together to watch your favourite TV show. After an hour, when the episode ended, he would ask about school and you would tell him everything. He would comment on every detail and you always found his opinions and comments too funny not to laugh to. Only a few years later you realized how wise he was and how many useful informations he gave you at that time.

Two years later first questions started filling up your mind. What happens when you die? Does every person become a ghost when they die? Is Taemin the only ghost in your house, or is he only the only one you can see? How did Taemin die? Why did he choose this house?

And, to your disbelief and utter anger, Taemin wouldn’t say a word about any of those things. Every time the topic started, he was giving you that look. His eyes inpatient, mouth opened a bit, chin extended forward. He got tired of those questions after two weeks and then he started disappearing whenever you would bring them up. 

And when you reached the tender age of thirteen you realized that he could become invisible to you. Whenever he wanted. And you assumed that he wanted to keep it as a secret – he did for five years – because you were a girl after all. So every time you showered, you knew that he may be there staring at you. Which felt wrong, disgusting and scary. But every time you would exit the bathroom, Taemin was almost always watching TV or lying in some weird position in a corner of the room. And one time you scolded him and asked straightforwardly if he has ever peeked on you. And Taemin’s face was so utterly scared, surprised and hurt that you knew that he wouldn’t.

He still was angry with you for the next four days, fuming in the corner of your room. But then, because you were already a very healthy teenage girl, you laid on your bed and looked at him with a frown.

“But really, why haven’t you ever peeked on me?” You asked. Taemin raised a brow at you and pinched the bridge of his nose. “Oh come on. Why haven’t you? You’re a teenager, I’m a teenager, and I’m a girl. You can be invisible any time you want. So why? Am I that unattractive?”

Taemin tilted his head in a tired manner.

“Eun Ri, please…” he said, closing his eyes.

“Should I feel offended?” you asked. Yep, you felt a pang in your heart. You sat up. “Taemin,” you said seriously, “am I unattractive to guys?”

You were so serious that Taemin actually thought about your question. Then, for the first time in your life, you saw a guy checking you out. You flushed red right away, and it made Taemin scoff again, and he rose from his corner.

“That’s ridiculous,” he said and intended to go through the wall to another room, but he bumped onto it with a hiss. Sometimes it happened, sometimes his powers didn't work, but you didn't find out why just yet.

“Don’t leave me hanging like that, come on!” you moaned, waving your legs in the air. “Taemin!”

“You’re a child, that's why I would never do that,” he spat. He touched his forehead which he had hit before, as if he could feel anything. You discovered that he was doing all the movements out of a habit, and not because he could feel anything. Because he couldn’t. Even if he bumped the wall, it didn’t hurt him. He couldn’t feel at all.

And he still acted very human-like.

"Do you really think that low of me?" he asked with curiosity, looking at you. You opened your mouth to answer, but he suddenly frowned and stopped you from talking with a sweep movement of his hand. "Don't answer that," he said and this time really disappeared in the wall.

That night you didn’t sleep. Taemin wasn’t in the room, but he appeared in the middle of the night like the creeper he was. He jumped when he saw your eyes piercing a hole through him. He still seemed more unaccustomed to anybody seeing him than you to the fact that you were seeing a ghost. Talking to a ghost.

“Why aren’t you sleeping?” he whispered. His voice was soothing. He crouched down beside your bed.

“Can’t,” you answered simply, blinking at him. Your eyes were restless.

“You’re a bit hyperactive,” he noted. “Everything okay?”

You were quiet. So many questions were floating in your head, but you knew that if you’ll start asking them, he will just… vanish. Because he didn’t want to answer any of these questions. Or maybe because he couldn’t answer them.

“Am I ugly?” you asked. Taemin frowned. You sighed and started explaining. “Come on, I’m thirteen now. Since mom isn’t really here and everybody at school are kind of scared of me because I’m a freak who sees ghosts… well, more like one ghost… I need someone to tell me all the stuff that I need to hear. And now, because I’m a growing teenager girl, I need to know how all of this works.”

“How does what work?" 

“Chemistry! Between people. And all. And also, no one ever tells me if I’m ugly or not. They only focus on me being weird or crazy. Usually it’s weird on Mondays and Fridays and crazy for the rest of the week. But the weekends, wooah!” you rolled your eyes and nodded, as if agreeing to yourself. “No one really knows how I’m during weekends, they assume that on the weekends I’m a witch who summons ghosts for a living,” you looked at Taemin. And it was the first time you saw him so amused by your behavior. He actually laughed at you, at the things you were saying. You felt your heart sink a bit and didn’t know why.

“You’re not ugly, Eun Ri,” he said, smiling. “But you’re still a child. You all think that thirteen is such a mature age, but that’s bull. One of the biggest lies our society is trying to pull off. You think that you’re adult when you are sixteen? no,” he scoffed and his face fell suddenly, shock painting on it. He looked at you with wide eyes and you giggled.

“I’m sorry. Never repeat that word,” he said, blinking crazily. “I don’t know why I let it slip…”

“I’ve heard worse,” you mumbled, almost falling asleep. “So I’m not ugly?”

“No. And you’ve got plenty of time to get even prettier. And that thing about getting older and matured? Remember: bull. Be a child as long as you can, because your time will run out quickly."

You nodded, making a mental note to yourself. You actually thought about writing it up in some diary or something.

“Then,” you said quietly. “You have never ever tried to peek on me because I’m a child.”

“That’s one of the reasons,” Taemin shrugged. “But I didn’t mostly because I have some morals, come on.”

“Well, everybody is saying that high schoolers are always …” you mumbled even quieter, falling into sleep.

“I don’t want to know how do you know that word,” Taemin sighed, rubbing his temples. You giggled.

“Hey, thirteen is the new seventeen. You should remember how you acted when you were my age… and what did you know at that time. Because I probably know twice as much.”

“You don’t. I know what sites you visit when you’re using your computer. No way in hell you know more than I did.”

“Oh, so you were one of these guys…” you yawned. “Poor guy, did you ever get a girlfriend? There are more reliable sources of informations than internet, and they are kept away from you, thank you very much.”

Because you already realized that Taemin couldn’t move away from your house. He was trapped inside and that was another riddle that you couldn’t solve and Taemin didn’t want to tell you. Or he simply didn't know either. 

You have no idea how long I’ve spent trying to leave this house. I go out the front door and I come in the back one. I jump out the window and I end up in the living room," he once told you, and that was basically the end of the conversation. 

"Hey, can we make that a house rule? To be visible while around me? I don’t need you spying,” you said, not sure if he has ever really spied on you, your voice tired but serious. Taemin nodded with agreement. You closed your eyes, also nodding, and when you opened them one more time, you saw an empty room. Which meant that Taemin went somewhere, probably living room, to do whatever ghosts did at night. 
 

 



 

Going to middle school was a bliss. You took care of the documents and made sure that there were no people here that used to make fun of you and spread rumors about you in primary school. And when most of the people your age was freaking out because of the change of the environment, you felt so free and so happy that you forgot about all the bad things that happened a year ago. Full of the new, good energy and motivation, you entered your classroom, only slightly nervous at the sight of new classmates – possible friends – and chose a desk by the window, surprised that it wasn’t taken. The room was filled with friendly chatter and once you set your books, a girl in front of you turned to face you with a smile.

She introduced herself and seemed nice, and you were so happy. You actually made a friend! And her name was Kyungmi!

And well, everything would’ve been okay if not the boy who just entered the classroom. You recognized those ridiculously long legs and messy hair right away, only seeing it in the corner of your eye. And your world was once shattered into pieces.

A boy named Choi Minho sat beside you with a smile, greeting some people he seemed to know. You growled at his oh-so-sweet smile and had an urge to puke at his pretending-to-be-kind tone of voice. You turned away, facing the window, and prayed that he wouldn’t recognize you. You tried to hide behind your hair and the girl in front of you tilted her head trying to look at you.

“You okay Eun Ri?” she asked quietly, but not quiet enough for Minho to hear.

“Eun Ri?” his voice chimed and you could mentally see an image of him looking around. “Park Eun Ri?” he asked. You cursed under your breath and looked at him slowly, frowning with utter disgust, biting your lip. His big eyes widened and he looked like a freaking frog, which made you sick even more.

“That is you! You were that freak who convinced us you had a ghost friend,” he said and laughed. You laughed dryly, your mind spinning. The girl in front of you giggled.

“No way! Really?” She chimed. You were too embarrassed to look at her. Your stomach was flipping out of panic. You were sure that she will say something in a moment – something hurtful – but she laughed even more and leaned on your desk.

“And I thought that I’m the only freak who makes up friends these days,” she said.

You were shocked. You stared at her with wide eyes and she questioningly eyed you.

“I think I love you,” you said sincerely. Kyungmi opened her eyes widely, smiled and then started fangirling – literally. And you couldn’t stop yourself from doing the same.

Minho was staring at the two of you and you send him a triumphal glance. You expected to see him pissed (because he couldn’t make fun of you), but he smiled instead. The bell rang and he fixed his stare at the board and the teacher that entered the classroom.

 

*

 

You came back home and - surprisingly - didn’t see Taemin right away. You frowned at the empty hallway, threw your bag onto the wall and entered the kitchen, grabbing an apple. You spotted him by the window, staring out, completely dozing off. You went to his side, looked outside to see what is he looking at and raised your brow, seeing an empty street.

“What-“ you started, but got startled by his sudden jump. He looked at you, frightened, and you laughed. “You’re the ghost here, aren’t you supposed to be the one who scares the crap out of me?” you teased, biting the apple. He made a face and stood up.

“I was used to you coming home an hour later,” he admitted. “How was your first day?”

“Actually, I think that I made a friend,” you said, cheesy smile on your lips. Taemin smiled at you, sincerely and warmly. “Besides having a total jerk that used to prank on me back in the primary school, everything is good. And I can handle him right now so.”

Taemin raised his brows.

“What was his name again?” he asked. You rolled your eyes.

“Minho. Choi Minho. How many times do I have to repeat it for you?”

Taemin looked at you apologetically and shrugged with a smile. You thought about something and after swallowing a bite of your apple you took a step back to see him clearly.

“Is that true that boys are mean to the girls they like?” you asked. Taemin pouted, deeply in thoughts. You were always really grateful that he listened to you and actually thought about the questions you asked. If it wasn’t a question about his past of course. He hummed.

“I guess,” he admitted. “But not always, you know. Because they prank the girls that they see as… buddies” he added. “Sometimes it turns out that they start to see girls in them and that’s when there’s a problem.”

“Having someone you like is a problem?” you asked, frowning. You finished your apple and went to throw the remainings away. The silence surprised you and when you looked out from the kitchen counter, Taemin was gone. You stared into the air, turned a few times to see if he’s behind you or something like that, but he vanished.

“Warn me next time you do that!” you shouted, knowing that he will hear you anyway. You just wondered why did he do that really.

You made another mental note to yourself: Taemin was sensitive on the love topic.

Which lead you to the assumption that he didn’t have much luck in love.
 

 

*
 

 

Among the things you knew about Taemin the ghost was that he: liked to watch movies the most in the world, was quiet but surprisingly sarcastic, he liked to doze off, he was very matured but loved to pull pranks on your mom (which you thought that she deserves by the way – your relationship with her was rather complicated, especially over the last four years) and he was a total creeper that still didn’t get used to the fact that you can see him, even though you first talked to him seven years ago, and he still lurked somewhere behind you a lot (which, by the way, led you to the conclusion that he has been a ghost for such a long time that even spending so many years with you didn’t make him less lonely or less ghost-y). You also knew that he can hover above the floor, which was one of the things that you were jealous of. But when you asked him how is it like to fly, he shrugged and his face fell, because he didn’t really know how it feels. He couldn’t feel it.

“So, what else can you do as a ghost?” you asked him one day, holding your new notebook in your hands. You decided to write the things he says – things about him, about ghosts and about everything basically. You wanted to find out as much as you could about him. Connect the dots so find out about his past or experience. Or at least how much time he really spent here and why here.

Taemin made a thoughtful face.

“I can do footsteps and slam doors and float through stuff. It’s all pretty basic," Taemin's eyes widened suddenly and you almost thought he’s had some sort of revelation. “You should invite Ghost Hunters in here. I could scare the crap out of them.”

You laughed and hid your face behind the notebook. Well, that was surely worth writing down.

“Why did you disappeared so suddenly a few days ago?” you asked, knowing that you’re touching the sensitive area of him. Taemin scratched his head. Again, his weird, physical habit.

“Sorry about that,” he said. Which wasn’t an answer for your question.

“Taemin,” you sighed. He looked at you with a shrug.

“What?”

“You've known me for seven years already. I’m the only person you can talk to, because no one else sees you,” you started. He rolled his eyes. “Didn’t it occur to you that I may be your savior or something?”

He opened his mouth to say something, but stopped and focused on your words. He tilted his head.

“What do you mean by savior?”

“Well, I did some research,” you sighed and stood up from the floor. You flapped your notebook in front of his face. “And the conclusion is: you stayed here because you have some unfinished business to do. But, as I assume, you can’t finish it because you’re trapped here. And I can’t help you because you wouldn’t tell me a single thing about yourself, and I know that you know a lot, not only about yourself – which is obvious – but also about why you’re trapped here and what can free you.”

The blonde-haired ghost eyed you up and down, hesitance on his face.

“Don’t you dare to vanish now,” you warned, raising your finger up.

“I won’t,” he rolled his eyes.

“You like to do that a lot,” you mumbled and turned away from him to open your notebook again. You started walking around your room and reading your notes. “When a ghost is trapped for too long in the human world, he can become a vengeful spirit, knows as a poltergeist,” you looked at Taemin’s amused face, but continued. “Ghosts are attached to people, things, sometimes animals. One of those things keeps them down.” You glanced at him again. “It means that anything can keep you here to be honest,” you stated with a grimace.

“The poltergeist part is the best,” Taemin informed you, waving his legs in the air.

“You don’t believe it?”

“Oh, I’m here for quite a long time, believe me when I say that I can’t be a poltergeist. I can’t even lift a stupid book,” he said. You raised your brow.

“So how long have you been here? You knew my name before I could see you, so I’m sure it’s been more than seven years.”

The ghost sighed and looked at you with sadness.

“Eun Ri, I’m honestly telling you that… I don’t know,” seeing your face full of disbelief, he continued. “I lose track of time easily. Sometimes it feels for me like it’s been one day, but then I look at that ridiculous calendar in the kitchen and it turns out it’s been a week.”

That “ridiculous calendar” was full of kittens and puppies.  

“I wonder why,” you said. “Do you remember your death at least?” you asked. You asked him that a bunch of times, but he always disappeared once you did. This time he was still there, staring at you, and your heart skipped a beat because he wanted to tell you. He was willing to tell you.

But he didn’t in the end. He was already taking a deep breath when he closed his eyes and vanished. You growled with annoyance and thought about how close you were to finding out the truth.

But his reaction was pretty clear. You sighed. Your heart clenched. He did remember his death, otherwise he wouldn’t be so sad and quiet about it. He would even like to find out, you assumed.

You thought about googling him for a moment. But the thought about finding out something terrible about him made you shiver. You were too scared to find out. And that fear was even stronger than your curiosity, which wasn’t normal. But you had that weird feeling in your chest. Almost like a premonition.

But still, you cared for him. You wanted for him to be at peace. Even if it meant losing him.

You thought about your life without him and pain shot through your heart. 
 

 


I just wanted to thank you so much for your patience! My summer vacation just started, so I will be able to write more now. As I promised, this chapter
is much longer and a bit more interesting (I hope otl).  I would love to know what you think, so don't hesitate to comment pls?