Part III

Private Investigator

 

"Hyung, noona! Can we go to the pool?" Yoogeun came running to us and I chuckled at his sweaty form. I grabbed my bag and took out tissues before wiping his forehead and his neck area.

             "No Yoogeun, no pool," Taemin rejected immediately. "Why?" I asked.

             "But hyung..." Disappointment was written all over Yooguen's face. "Taemin, if not, I'll bring him to the pool."

             "I said no pool. No swimming," Taemin glared at me before walking away. No matter how many times I call him, he won't turn back.

             "Noona, it's no use calling him," Yoogeun said. "Why?"

             "He's a hyung that won't turn back no matter how loud you're," Yoogeun murmured but loud enough for me to hear. Why this kid here does seem so mature when it comes to stuff relating to Taemin?

             "Yoogeun, I'll bring you to the pool," I smiled and felt accomplished when Yoogeun's gloomy face lit up.

             Why won't Taemin allow Yoogeun to swim? He's pretty good at swimming considering that he's only five. I watched as Yoogeun swim laps in the one meter depth pool, other kids have parent with them and only Yoogeun swim alone. I sighed, Taemin should be aware of Yoogeun's fond. Why can't he just accompany him?

*****

I sat in one corner of the pool, opposite side of where Sanghee's sitting. Tch, I bet my life that she will definitely bring him to the pool behind my back and she really did.

             I watched closely at Yoogeun, when did he learn swimming? Ah, he always swims at home since he always plays swimming games with the Wii thingy. He really like swimming isn’t it? I stared at the water and even though it's only one meter deep, I could still feel goose bumps forming on my body.

 

"..Help!..Help!" I struggled so hard that I couldn't even see because all the water I've been splashing was blocking my vision. I yelled, I yelled with all my might but no one heard me. Salt water went into my mouth when I'm shouting and down my throat and a sick feeling stuck there.

 

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes.

             When I opened them, I saw a little girl shouted ‘Help!’ and I shoot up immediately. I felt as though something took my breath away and I can't breathe until I saw that the one who shouted help was actually chased by her mother because they were playing some sort of stupid games in the pool. Don't these people know what kind of damage can water do to your body?

             Immediately, I walked over to Sanghee's side and her eyes widen in shock upon seeing me. I gave her a glare before diverting my attention to the little boy who was happily swimming still, "JUNG YOOGEUN!" I shouted, making sure that he heard me. As soon as he turned back, I shouted again. "GET BACK HERE."

             And I felt something tugging my arm, "Taem—"

             "I'll deal with you later," I cut off her sentence and squatted down to pick Yoogeun out from the water when he's trying to climb up, into my arms. Not caring if he's making my shirt wet, I walked away with him in my embrace.

 

"Why did you do that? Yoogeun love swimming you know," Sanghee said when we were having dinner at some restaurant. "Noona, it's okay. I enjoyed myself just now, even if it's just awhile." Yoogeun smiled.

             "Tch, aren't you ashamed of yourself? Having a little kid to speak up for you," Sanghee pursed the bottom of her lips out before stuffing food into . "Don't you think you're talking too much? Can't you just shut up and eat?"

             She gave me an irritated expression as she feed Yoogeun with food.

 

 

I drove the car up to the hill top and stopped there. Yoogeun was already sleeping in the car; I bet he's tired too after a long day. I stepped out of the car and walked to the edge of the hill. The scene was breathtaking with the city lights glowing and the stars that twinkled in the sky further enhance the prettiness.

             "Yah!" Sanghee tugged my arm and whirled me around. "I've been calling for you, why are we here?"

             "Don't you find here beautiful?" I smiled and swung my arm over her shoulder, pulling her closer to me. I looked down at her peaceful face and could see that she's satisfied with the scene ahead of her. Forcefully putting her head on my shoulder, we stood there looking at the beautiful Seoul.

             Frankly speaking, I think I like her more and more. She's interesting, she loves Yoogeun, Yoogeun loves her, she dares to challenge me, and she’s...somehow special. I sighed and turned her to face me. Cupping her ears with both of my hands, I lowered myself to her eye-level.

             'Do you love me?' I mouthed to her.

             "What did you say?"

             'I think I love you, can you accept me?' I mouthed again.

             "Yah! I can't hear you if you cover my ears!" Her brows furrowed together and I bet she's pissed. I chuckled and removed my hands from her ears, "Calm down and look carefully at my lips, try to figure out what I'm saying," And I covered her ears again.

             'Can you hear me?' I mouthed. She stared blankly at my lips with her brows knitted together. "Can...You hear…me?"

             I nodded and mouthed again, 'Do you love me?'

             "Do you...love me?" And instantly her face started to blush, I laughed and my lips.

             'I think I love you,'

             She didn't repeat after me this time but I guess she got me since her face got redder than before. I let out a soft cackle before pulling her into a warm hug.

             "Welcome to my world, the world of silence."

*****

My eyes widen. The world of silence, what, the world of silence?!

             I pushed him away and stared at him, waiting for him to say that he's joking or something because this isn't funny.

             "Why? Don't believe?" He asked with a small smile tugging on his lips, “This is not funny, Lee Taemin." I said. He sighed and looked away once before turning back to me, "Didn't you notice? I don't respond when you're not in my vision, because I can't see you. I can't read you."

             I stood rooted on the ground.

 

"You have to face him if you're talking to him. He taught me that since I'm here..." Yoogeun said.

 

"Taemin?"

             He didn't turn back. Is he still angry at me?

 

"Omo, are you trying to scare me?" He frowned.

             "I...I called you just now didn't you hear?"

             An expression of guilt flashed past his face before he composes himself again, "I said before if you want to talk to me, face me. If not I won't entertain you."

 

"I said no pool. No swimming," Taemin glared at me before walking away. No matter how many times I call him, he won't turn back.

             "Noona, it's no use calling him," Yoogeun said. "Why?"

             "He's a hyung that won't turn back no matter how loud you're," Yoogeun murmured but loud enough for me to hear.

 

Everything clicked. I felt my heart beat getting faster and my breathing getting heavier. Before I know it, my hand reached out to caress his face (again) and tears welling up in the rim of my eyes. "What..." I mumbled but sobs begin to escape from my throat.

             "Don't cry...don't cry for me," he hugged me tightly and whispered ever so softly in my ear. I pulled away from the hug and saw that he's slowly tearing up too. 'Don't cry,' I mouthed to him and it hurt me even more when he responded to it. This just means that he really can't hear and he's reading my lips for words.

 

 

"What?!"

             "Yes Mr. Kim. He's deaf, and I need you to find him a doctor ASAP. With all the wealth you have, it's not hard right?"

             "But..." He hesitated, "Mr. Kim, he's your son. Are you not going to help him?! Can you imagine living in a world with no sound? Help him!" I literally cried. I watched as he went into a thinking mode, "Fine...bring me to him later."

 

I rang the doorbell and Yoogeun came answering the door, "Noona!"

             "Hey Yoogeunnie, where's your hyung?" I waited for him to open the door and I stepped in with Mr. Kim behind me.

             "He's...— who is this?" Yoogeun frowned as soon as he saw Mr. Kim. "Hey…Yoogeun? I'm Kim Junha ahjusshi, Taemin's fath—"

             "Who brought him here?"

             I snapped my head at where Taemin was standing. I smiled and walked over to him tugging at his arm, "Taemin, Mr. Kim said he will find you a—"

             "Mr. Kim? So you're working for him?" Taemin pushed my hands away from him harshly.

             "Yoogeun get back in your room," He commanded and waited until Yoogeun closes his room door before glaring at me again. I swear if looks could kill, I would be killed by his dagger eyes already. "So all this time, you've been lying to me?"

             I blinked and wanted to speak but before the words could come out, it somehow got crushed by the lump in my throat.

             "So I'm not the one you love. I'm not your boyfriend," he sarcastically laughed. "I'm just one of your cases."

             "Taemin-ah, Sanghee is ju—"

             Taemin's eyes immediately darted towards Mr. Kim, "Did your lips just move? Did you say something? I'm sorry I bet Sanghee told you I'm deaf so can you repeat again?"

             I felt thousands of spears stabbing into my heart when he said that.

             "But wait, who are you? Why are you in my house?" Taemin tilted his head to the side and stared at Mr. Kim, "I don't think I know you so can you please get out?"

             "Taemin-ah...could you—"

             "No, whatever your request is, my answer will be no."

             Taemin diverted his attention back to me, "I feel like slapping you, do you know that?" He said quietly. I closed my eyes and waited for the impact on my cheek but nothing happened, "But I can't because I fell in love with you. Before I even realized it, I love you so much it hurts."

             I opened my eyes and saw that he placed his hand on his chest where his heart was supposed to be. Once again, his eyes were red like last night and it kills me just to see him cry.

             "I trusted you, Goo Sanghee," he frowned. "I trusted you with everything. I never thought I could be in love until I trusted you. I trusted you with my weakness too."

             He paused for a while, "Do you know how much it hurts to know that I'm nothing but a target to you? I'd asked if you were a PI, if you admitted back then, I won't have committed in this of what people said was love."

             Guilt was piercing through every inch of my body and I thought I was going to be buried with guiltiness. I don't even bear to look at him as he spoke; I just look down at my toes as though they were the most amazing things on earth. I clenched my fists so tightly that the pain of my nails digging into my palms was already numb.

             "Get out," Taemin said, heaving a defeated audible sigh. "Please, get out, the both of you."

             He shook his head as his hand reached for the back of his neck; he's tired of all these already. I watched as he retired back into his room and he slammed the door so hard that the sound scared me.

*****

I leaned against the door after I slammed it and slide down. Hugging my knees to my chest, I bit my lips to prevent any sobs from coming out.

             I'm not going to let Yoogeun hear my crying.

             No, I'm not even going to cry.

             Choking my tears back and forcefully swallow them down my throat, I let out a breath and closed my eyes.

 

"I...I like you, please go out with me!" She bit her lips and bowed at me with her hands extended out.

 

"Noona, can you read me a bedtime story? Hyung's stories are all boring."

             "Yah!" I nudged Yoogeun's head but he dodged it by running into Sanghee's embrace. She scooped him up in her arms as they proceed to his room, completely ignoring me.

 

"Just one night, stay here with us. With me," I mumbled and wrapped my arms around her waist with my head on her shoulder. It felt so good, so different. I felt warm and first time in my life, contented.

 

"Say ahh," I delivered it before her lips and waited for her to open . She frowned for a second before tearing opens her lips but as soon as she opens them, I retrieved the bread and put it into my mouth.

 

"I let you hugged me to sleep because I can feel that you're hurt and sad. I know how it feels like to be an unwanted child because for your ing info, I grew up in an orphanage."

 

"Can I really trust you?" I asked wholeheartedly. Blinking twice, she nodded. I smiled, stood up and bent over to peak a kiss on her forehead before sitting back down. "Finish it before it colds," I said.

 

This is not as easy as I thought; it hurt more than I expected. Why didn't anyone tell me before that it would hurt this much? If I knew it, I won't have committed into real love.

 

 

"Hey...mind buying me a drink?" A woman came close to me and run her index finger on my thigh before sitting on the vacant seat next to me. "Why not, it’s an honor to buy beauty a drink," I smirked and snapped my fingers for the bartender to come.

             "Aww you're so...teasing..." Her lips mouthed those words and I captured them before on it until they were swollen and red. She grabbed onto my hair and wrapped her legs around my waist as we made our way to the hotel room. Turning the doorknob open, we barged through the door and fall on the ground. I smirked and kicked the door close before leaning down for her neck. She moaned when one of my hands roam around her thigh and another one beside her head to support my body weight. My lips moved up and found her lips but paused when I found her trying to remove my leather jacket.

             Pulling away from the touch, she looked into my eyes with lustful stare. " me," she whispered. Instantly, I felt as though I woke up from all my senses. I pushed against the ground and stood back up, "I'm sorry."

             Stumbling out from the hotel, I sighed and sat down at one of the bench that face the Han River. What has gotten into me? What did I do just now? Covering my face with my hands, I sighed again. I'm going to lose myself if this goes on. I have to get a hold of myself...this Sanghee girl is not going to tie me down.

             Out of the blue, my phone vibrated in my pocket. I fish it out and a message was received. It was from one of the staffs in the studio and it stated that I have a shooting tomorrow morning. Ugh...I should just get home and rest.