Part II

Private Investigator

 

I really don't like it when people don't face me when they're talking to me. I watched as her hand run through Yoogeun's hair and slowly down to his cheek. I walked over to them and held her chin with my thumb and index finger. "Face me if you're talking to me," I whispered.

             She stared into me with her big hazel eyes. "Umm..." And she pulled away from my touch without breaking the eye contact. I chuckled, is she nervous? "Sanghee, you said you want to be my girlfriend?" I asked with a gentle smile.

             She let out laughter before scratching the back of her neck awkwardly. You know what? I actually kind of like her. I told her that both Yoogeun and I were unwanted kids and she didn't even budge after that. She actually played with Yoogeun and most importantly, Yoogeun likes her. That little kid doesn’t usually care about the girls that I bring home but this time, he initiates the touch.

             I smiled and hold her hand, her hand felt so small under mine. I waited for her to stand up before leading her out from Yoogeun's room and into mine. I could feel her hand stiffen as we entered my room.

             "Hey, relax. I'm not going to do anything," I said and pushed her onto the bed before settling myself beside her.

             "Just one night, stay here with us. With me," I mumbled and wrapped my arms around her waist with my head on her shoulder. It felt so good, so different. I felt warm and first time in my life, contented. I don't know how long I'm enjoying but somewhere between the times, I fell asleep.

*****

I don't know what this young master is thinking but he's definitely trying to play with me because he hugged me to sleep and before I knew it, he really falls asleep.

             I reach out with my fingers and sweep his fringe to a side before examining his features. He has got really distinct features and wow his skin is good. I run my finger from his eyebrow to the bridge of his nose and something snapped in my head; he looked nothing like Mr. Kim. Perhaps he looks more like his mother? If that's the case then his mother must be one beauty. It's kind of impossible how Mr. Kim look like...that...and his illegitimate son looks like a prince.

             I held my breath and keep my hand back to myself. Crap I think because I slept at the studio so now I couldn’t fall sleep. Or is it because he's hugging me that was why I can't sleep now? Nah that's not the case, it's impossible right? But hey, what's impossible? For every girl out there, will you be able to sleep if there's a guy who looks so fairy tale-liked hugging you to sleep? I bet no.

             I sighed and stared at the ceiling. His room was light grey in color and his furniture was all in black & white theme. It's pretty chic and well, suit him I guess. I raised my head up and from what I could see, (I'm lying down on the bed so I guess my vision was quite limited) I saw photo frames standing on the his bedside table and it's a photo of Yoogeun and himself. Guess he really dote on Yoogeun isn't it? Guys that dote on kids won't be bad guys right?

             I sighed again and dropped my head back onto the pillow with my eyes close; this is going to be a long night...

 

 

Exactly, time now is 8 o'clock in the morning and I'm in the kitchen fixing breakfast for the two male species. Just now one ahjumma came but I dismissed her off and said she can just come in the afternoon. She looked at me and gives me those who-are-you-to-command-me look but in the end she still left. Okay so now I'm ready with the setting of the table and just have to wait for them to wake—

             "Morning noona!" I heard Yoogeun's cheerful voice and as soon as I looked up from the table, Taemin was carrying Yoogeun in his arms.

             "You made this?" Taemin asked as he put down Yoogeun in one of the seat before sitting opposite of me.

             "Obviously," I took a piece of toasted bread and put some jam on it and even them out with a spoon. "Here you go," I passed it to Yoogeun and he accepted it with a wide smile. "Where's mine?" Taemin smirked with his elbows on the table and his chin on his hand. "Don't you have hands?"

             "What? Yoogeun have hands too."

             "But he's a kid,"

             "I'm a kid too;"

             "You're nineteen!"

             "I'm only nineteen!"

             "Hey I'm eighteen! Are you supposed to feed me if that's the case?"

             "I don't mind," Taemin shrugged and picked up a piece of bread before tearing up the corner of it. "Say ahh," He delivered it before my lips and waited for me to open my mouth. I frowned and tear open my lips but as soon as I open them, he retrieved the bread and put it into his mouth.

             "Lee Taemin, that's the oldest lamest joke ever."

             He chewed on the bread with a broad smile. Forget it, I have hands myself too.

             After having breakfast, Taemin went to dress Yoogeun up for school and he brought him to the ground floor and wait for the school bus to arrive. I sat on the couch in the living room and was waiting for Taemin to come back. Hmm, I should make a report to Mr. Kim right? Maybe I should find him tonight.

             The sound of door cracking open snapped me out of my thoughts. Taemin came back and sat down opposite of me with a cold glare. What?

             "Now, who are you?" He asked seriously.

             "What?"

             "I believe you're Goo Sanghee, but it seemed like you are getting close to me not because you like me. Who the hell told you I'm Lee Taemin? How did you even know my name? Never did I once mention my name in front of you. Even if you know me because I'm a model, I go by the name Rem." He leaned back against the seat and crossed his leg elegantly.

             Crap, maybe I'm really not cut out for being a private investigator but hey, I'm not going to lose.

             "Did Kim Junha hire you to get close to me?"

             I looked up at him again and met his intense glare, "Don't worry you're not the first girl that he hired."

             Taemin stood up and came nearer to me. He slammed both of his hands on either side of me onto the couch with his face inches apart from mine. "Do you know what he wants after that? He will be asking you to get my DNA because he wants to check if I'm really his son. Up till now, no girls had completed that part. Will you take up the challenge?" He whispered against my ear with his hot breath lingering on me.

             "How are you going to take my DNA anyway? By grabbing my hair and pull one out when I shove into you? Or by letting me in your body so you can take my DNA from there?"

             I raised my arms and pushed him away but before I knew it, I gave him a tight slap on his cheek. "Jerk," I scoffed and stood up. "Do you do this to every girl? No wonder you're single and are always changing girlfriends. How are you going to have a stable relationship when you're going to push away everyone who tries to know you?"

             "I don't need anyone to know me. I have myself, I have Yoogeun." He said as he stood up and walked away to one of the desk. After scribbling something on what seemed like a notepad from where I stand, he tear off the paper. "Here, a cheque for you since after all, I hugged you to sleep last night."

             My jaws literally dropped and I felt utterly humiliated. What's this, money for me because he hugged me? What the ?

             I took a deep breath before standing up, "Take back your ing money."

             "I admit that I'm in need of money, but I'm not taking it just because you hugged me to sleep." I said through my gritted teeth and I felt tears welling up in my eyes. "I let you hugged me to sleep because I can feel that you're hurt and sad. I know how it feels like to be an unwanted child because for your ing info, I grew up in an orphanage." I swallowed the lump in my throat and forced back the tears. Turning my heels, I left his apartment.

             Why?

             Why does it hurt so much? I know I'd been insulted but it shouldn't hurt this much especially when the person who insulted me is just a...a stranger.

*****

The moment Yoogeun came back home, he had a disappointing look when he couldn't find what he was looking for. I know he was looking for something because he went into every room to check. But what?

             "Hyung," Yoogeun tapped me on the back while we are watching the television. This is his favorite TV program and he doesn’t usually talk during the show.

             "Where is noona?" He stared at me with innocent big eyes, "Did you chase her away again?"

             I ruffled his hair and sighed, "Yoogeun-ah, don't get too close with anyone. They're going to leave you in the end."

             "But noona is good. She's different from others, I can see that."

             "You're only five, what do you know about the world?"

             "But..." And his lips started to tremble with tears welling up in his eyes. "Noona..."

             Aish...what—

             Yoogeun was clumsily wiping his tears away but suddenly his finger was pointing at the door. "...someo-one's at the...door...”

             "Aish, just stop crying. I can't really see what you're saying," I sighed and hesitantly stood up before walking over to the door.

             "Why are you here again?"

             She flashed me a smile before pushing me aside and entered the flat. "Yoogeunnie!" She grinned widely but stopped as soon as she saw tears on Yoogeun's face. In a split second, the expression on her face turned vicious as she darted her eyes on me. "What did you do to him?!"

             And she sat down on the couch to embrace a crying Yoogeun.

             "What are you doing? Yoogeun-ah, push her away."

             "What?" She narrowed her eyes on me. I gritted my teeth and pointed at Yoogeun, "Yoogeun, have you forgot what I said? Get away from her."

             "Yah!" She yelled, "What have you been teaching the kid?! He's only five!"

             "Yoogeun," I called out to him in a hostile manner, trying my very best to ignore that woman and not to flare up at her.

             I could see that Yoogeun cried even harder by the way that Sanghee hugged him tighter. I sighed and walked over to them before yanking Yoogeun's small arm away from her.

             "Leave him alone," I said.

             "What do you think you're doing?"

             "I should be asking you that, this is my house. What are you doing here?"

             "I..."

             "Didn't I ask you to leave? Why? Kim Junha asked you to come back because you didn't complete your mission?"

             "I'm not a PI!" She hissed with her brows furrowed together. "Don't try to change the topic; what are you trying to do making a kid cry? Are you a sadist?"

             "Sadist? I'm just teaching him what he needs to know."

             "Know? You're telling him to get away from people and be in his own circle. Are you nuts? Trying to turn him into a loner when he's only five?"

             "YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND A OF WHAT WE'VE BEEN THROUGH. Can't you just shut up and get the away? Who the hell are you in the first place to step in and start lecturing me?" I hollered.

             "I don't need to be somebody to lecture you because you're the one in wrong right now by teaching the wrong things to a kid!"

             I diverted my attention to Yoogeun who's now crying even louder with his mouth opened widely. I run a hand through my hair with frustration before heaving a sigh. Giving Sanghee a last glare, I turned my heels and make my way to my own room.

             I hate to see Yoogeun cry. I love him, and love is that you will cry when the one you love cried. Using a trembling hand, I wipe away my tears before they could fell.

*****

"Yoogeun-ah, don't cry..." I hushed the little boy's back and he hiccupped once before stopping his sobs.

             "Noona...d-don't get angry at hyung..." He hiccupped again and wipes his tears away with the back of his small hand.

             He's only five; he's able to wipe his own tears already. I guess Taemin really taught him something...to be independent.

 

 

The sound of utensils gliding against each other woke me from up my sleep. My eyes opened and I realized I had fallen asleep on the couch alone. Where's Yoogeun? I sat upright and looked behind me, a figure was in the kitchen and I walked over.

             "Taemin?"

             He didn't turn back. Is he still angry at me?

             "I'm sorry if I...but well, I really think you shouldn't teach him to be independent at that age...a kid at age of five should enjoy..."

             Still, he didn't budge. I watched as he reached out to grab a bottle of soy sauce from the above cabinet, and then he turned around before stumbling back a little. "Omo, are you trying to scare me?" He frowned.

             "I...I called you just now didn't you hear?"

             An expression of guilt flashed past his face before he composes himself again, "I said before if you want to talk to me, face me. If not I won't entertain you."

             I raised an eyebrow while shrugging, whatever.

             "What are you doing? It's late."

             "Obviously making something edible for myself, do you want?" He asked.

             "You know how to cook?"

             "Well, I don't have a mother," he replied before turning back to face the stove again. "That's it; I'm cooking for you too. Wash up or something, it will be ready soon."

             I nodded despite knowing that he couldn't see. Making my way to the bathroom, I walk past Yoogeun's room and saw him sleeping soundly with blanket fully on him. I smiled; Taemin must have carried Yoogeun to bed when Yoogeun fall asleep with me on the couch.

 

"Hmm smell's good," I commented as soon as Taemin set the bowls of ramen on the table. I smiled as I picked up the chopsticks, "Thank you for the food."

             For once, he smiled and sat down opposite of me. We ate in silence and the only sound was the of noodles into our mouth.

             "So...are you really not a PI?"

             I glance up at him with noodles still hanging from my mouth. This afternoon before coming, I had already went to find Mr. Kim and reported to him about what had happened. I also told him that I insisted I'm not a PI and he commented that I did well on that.

             "I'm not," I replied after biting off the noodles.

             "So you really like me?"

             I almost choked on the food when that sentence hit me in my face. Shrugging it off, I choose to ignore.

             "I'm sorry for suspecting you're PI," He placed the chopsticks beside the bowl before sighing. "There are too much fake people around. I can't differentiate them anymore. I just don't want passerby(s) to come into our life… And hurt me or Yoogeun."

             Unknowingly, I put down the chopsticks and slowly reached out to caress his face. "You've been through a lot...I can see that. I'm sorry you had to endure so much," I whispered softly.

             Man, just give me the best actress award or something. I think I'm doing a pretty good job in convincing him that I'm not a PI, but why do I feel guilty when I saw that his expression actually soften at my touch?

             "Can I really trust you?" He asked sincerely. Blinking twice, I nodded. He smiled, stood up and bent over to peck a kiss on my forehead before sitting back down. "Finish it before it colds," he said.

 

 

"So that kid trusted you already?"

             "Yes, I...think so," I sat across from Mr. Kim as he looks at me with darting eyes. "Good, be sure to know everything about him and report to me regularly."

             "Mr. Kim...is there an end to this? Like, knowledge is infinite so...how long do I have to do?"

             "You will get handsome pay for this. Just do it until I say stop,"

             "But..."

             "That's it, I've to work now."

 

"A penny for your thoughts?" Taemin asked as he sat down beside me. Today is Saturday and Yoogeun wanted to visit the theme park. He took a long time to persuade Taemin because obviously he's not the type who would play in a theme park, but well, it's Yoogeun after all.

             "Nothing," I smiled and watched as Yoogeun run around the mini playground with other kids who volunteered to play with him. "Kids nowadays...their facilities are really good isn't it?"

             "Yeah..." I replied. Thoughts of playing with the other orphans in the orphanage comes flashing in my mind again. I remembered we used to play in this very old playground and there are basically cracks everywhere on the slide and all, and then there's this boy whereby I caused a scar on his back because I pushed him while playing and his back hit against the cracked part of the slide. It caused a deep cut on his back and the scene was so bloody that I couldn't sleep for two days. Ever since then I don't dare to talk to that boy and I didn't even say bye when he left the orphanage before it closed down. I heard that he was adopted by some wealthy family so...good for him.

             And at time like this, I would be thinking, why am I not adopted by anyone? Am I not likeable enough?