Part I

Private Investigator

 

You know what rules the world? It's money. No money no talk, have you heard before? Yes, money is the boss behind everything. However, here I am annoyed, over money. Why? I need money to pay for the damn rent for this month. Where can I get money from? Nowhere. Am I working? That's the point, I just got fired. Ugh! And you know the ing reason why I got fired? Just because the newcomer wears short skirt and low-cut blouse every day to attract the damn boss's attention and the boss thinks that I'm being an extra there so he decided to fire me. Pfft.

             Crap, and now I've no income and the stupid rent thing is being a . Oh by the way, I'm Goo Sanghee, and I'm eighteen. I'm not schooling anymore because I've to work to earn myself a living. I'm an orphan and the orphanage decided to close down when I was sixteen so I basically supported myself for the last two years. And I live in a small apartment (so small that it's just a room) alone.

             I sighed and leaned against the brick wall, I'm so hungry and tired now but I don't want to waste any more money to buy food. I sighed again when my stomach grumbled and I turned to my side before I punched lightly on the wall. Why is my life so tough?

             I pouted my lips out and stared blankly at the wall until something caught my eyes; a poster on it. It stated that a PI is wanted by...Mr. Kim. Who's Mr. Kim? Anyhow, the amount of money caught my eyes again.

             'Once the mission succeeds, you will get USD$10, 000,000.'

             Oh wow, this is it. I smirked and tore the poster off from the wall before stuffing it into my bag. Whoever that Mr. Kim is, get ready the cheque!

 

 

"Do you have any experience?" He asked from behind the table before staring into my eyes. "No," I shook my head in silence. , what have I got myself into? This high-class dammit office and the atmosphere were so heavy that it's suffocating me.

             He sighed and put a photo before me, "This is my...illegitimate son. Lee Taemin. He's a model right now by the name of Rem. Get close to him; get a hold of whatever he's doing. I want to know everything about him."

             I sat up straighter and reached out for the photo. But once my hand landed only on the tip of the photo, he slammed his hand on it as if to prevent me from taking. "You do know that this is a secret right? Don't you dare go around telling people that I have an illegitimate son."

             "Sir, I may be a greenhorn in being a PI. But I'm not dumb," I rolled my eyes before snatching the photo away. And wow, this guy definitely has the potential to be beautiful and handsome at the same time. He looks...beyond perfection, no wonder he's a model. (I don't read magazines by the way)

             I cleared my throat and leaned back against the seat. "He should be living alone right now. He often hangs out at this pub too," Mr. Kim passed me a small card with address written on it. "I'll be depending on you, Ms. Goo."

             I smiled and examined the card that sit in between my index and middle finger, "Just get ready your money, Sir."

 

 

Seriously? This Lee Taemin, he doesn't look any older than me (or maybe he's younger) so why is he hanging out at this kind of place? If not for money, I'm not going to step into this place for the rest of my life. Ugh. Fidgeting with the photo on my hand, I looked around the area.

             Dance floor, cleared.

             Lounge bar, cleared.

             I looked around again before my vision landed on the two figures who were hugging together just outside the restroom. Ugh get a room please; you're ruining my innocent eyes here. Pfft, so where is that—

             Just as they switched position and the girl is now against the wall with the guy on top of her, my eyes widen as I quickly looked back at the photo. Wow wait. Is that him? He actually looks so much better in real...that's it, target spotted.

             I cleared my throat and headed towards the two, how am I supposed to get his attention? By calling out to him? He's not supposed to know that I know his name or something. I've to do something, but what?

             "Sweetie, you know her?" The girl asked as she saw me approaching them. Soon after, the guy turned his head and stared at me from head to toes before throwing a smirk. "How would I know someone like her when I have someone like you in front of me?" He cupped the girl's face and leaned in to capture her lips as both of them continue making out in front of me.

             What the ? What did he mean by someone like me? Am I not up to his standard? Gees, he's the one not up to MY standard for sake. Ugh, for the sake of money! That freaking huge amount of money, I will bear with the insults.

             "Hey!" I yelled. The girl opened her eyes and stared at me as her lips still moves along with his. What now? He's ignoring me? Really? "Hey!!" I went over and pulled him away from the girl.

             "What—who are you?!"

             "I'm..." I paused, what am I supposed to say? "I...I like you, please go out with me!" I bit my inner lip and bowed at him with my hand extended out. Gees, for that money, I threw away my pride as a lady. How dare me Goo Sanghee.

             "What?!" And I heard laughing afterwards. I straightened my back and saw him wrapping his arm around the girl's waist before pulling her towards his body. "Be my girlfriend? Sorry you're not my type," he smirked and whispered something into the girl's ear and the both of them started to giggle at me.

             What the …?

             "Not your type? Yeah sure," I scoffed and stormed off. I don't believe I can't charm you with what I have. I'll have a makeover and make sure you go head over heels for me. Pfft, I should ask Mr. Kim to pay for the makeover since it is part of the job. I just have to say that his son is such a jerk that he ignored all ugly girls and in order to get close to him, I have to be pretty.

*****

What? Be my girlfriend, in her state? Tch.

             I chuckled and shook my head a little as my eyes focused on the road ahead of me. Looking through the rear view mirror, I saw the girl's lips moving. I turned to her, "What did you say?"

             She pouted and clings onto my other arm and literally leaned onto me, "Never mind."

             Reaching the car park of my apartment building, I pulled over the car and killed the engine.

             "Yoogeun-ah!" I shouted the moment I unlocked the door, Yoogeun ran out from his room and up into my arms. "Taeminnie—..." He looked at the girl beside me and thought for a while, "—appa."

             Aish...

             "You had a son?!" Her face scrunched up in disgust before slapping my shoulder with her purse, "You're ing wasting my time." And she went off after slamming the door. I sighed and looked at Yoogeun. "Hey. Didn't I say to only call me appa when you see ugly girls? She's hot."

             "But she looks ugly to me," Yoogeun pouted and struggled to get away from my arms. I squatted down and let go of him before he ran away from me. Aish, this kid. "Jung Yoogeun!" I yelled and ran after him.

             "Caught' ya!" I smiled and collapsed on the couch with the boy in my arms. "Taeminnie-hyung, what have you been doing today?"

             "Hmm, I did photo shootings today. Tomorrow I'll be doing commercial shootings," I smiled and ruffled his hair, until I felt a bump on his forehead. Immediately, I moved his fringe away and indeed, there was a red mark. "Ahjumma!" I yelled and one middle-aged woman came out of the kitchen with a cloth in her hand. I looked at her, "Why is there a bump on his head?" I asked while running my thumb over the bump. "I'm not sure; he had that when he came back from school."

             I blinked and sighed, before looking at Yoogeun again, "You fought in school?"

             "He started it. He said I've no parents," He pouted and grabbed a pillow from the couch to fidget with it. I sighed and ruffled his hair again, what did this boy do to deserve such treatment? It's not like he choose to leave his parents.

             "Listen to Taemin-hyung, don't fight with them. You're a strong boy. Got it?" He hung his head low and just kept on playing with the corner of the pillow.

             When I saw the ahjumma coming out from the kitchen in the corner of my eye, I looked up. "Sir, if there's nothing, I'm leaving."

             "Thank you," I watched as she left the apartment. "Yoogeunnie, it's late now. Let's get to bed shall we?" I waited for his answer but he still had his head hung low. "Jung Yoogeun, have you forgot what I taught you?"

             Almost immediately, he looked up and glanced at me, "To face you when you talk, Yoogeun didn't forget.”

             I sighed and his hair before picking him up. "Let's go to bed, you have school tomorrow."

 

 

"CUT! Nice shot, take a twenty minutes break!" The director yelled from behind the camera. I got up from the chair and walked towards the exit with my cell phone and ear piece as some staff passed me a bottle of water.

             "Ahjumma? Has Yoogeun reached home?" I twisted the cap of the bottle before gulping down the content. I looked at my cell phone and some words appeared on the screen. "Okay, I'll be back after the shooting. Do take care of him for the time being," I smiled at no one and hung up the call.

             "Rem-sshi, someone's looking for you," one of the staffs stood in front of me and pointed to the entrance. Who could it be? Walking towards the entrance, the black studded heels caught my attention. My eyes then travelled up from the heels to leg to body and finally the face. "You again?"

             She rolled her eyes in response to my shock, "How did you know I'm here? Ah, you're a part time PI?"

             "What? W-well...I like you so I have to know your schedule don't I?" She smiled innocently and blinked numerous times. Pfft, she's a stalker? But why do I feel like she's lying?

             "I'm not free to entertain you today. Can't you see that I'm filming commercial? Now get away," I threw the bottle into the nearby bin but my vision still lingers on her figure. I can't hide it but yes, she actually dressed up today. Yesterday her messy hair which was in a bun was let down today and it actually had natural curls. She wore oversize shirt and baggy pants with a pair of sneakers yesterday but today she was in a dress and a pair of studded heels. Well...she actually looks not bad.

             "I'm not going to leave. I'll wait for you," She said firmly. I sighed and looked around the studio before looking back at her, "Alright then, I've no idea how long it will take but if you're still here when I'm done...we will see about it."

 

"CUT! Well done, wrap things up and get going!"

             I heaved a sigh of relief before bowing at all the staffs for their hard work. Finally, the shooting is done after a long day. I looked at my watch and realized that it's already eight at night. Ugh , Yoogeun is so going to be mad at me for not eating dinner with him. I scoffed and went over to the changing room to change out of my outfit. After passing the outfit to some of the noona staff, I went over to the table and grabbed my belongings.

             "Rem-sshi," someone tapped my shoulder and I turned back. "Ah, neh Director?"

             "You did a good job today," He smiled and patted on my shoulder. "It's not just me, everyone did a part," I returned a smile and looked at my watch again. "I'm sorry but I really had to go."

             I gave him an apologetic look before getting my coat from the stand but somewhere further in the back of the studio, something sparkled caught my attention. I squinted and realized that the thing that sparkled was a stud on the black heels. Crap, the girl from before! She really waited for me. I speed-walked towards her but found out that she was sleeping on the chair. "Yah," I nudged her bare shoulder before realizing that her body was cold. "Who told you to wear like this when the studio will be this cold?"

*****

"Yah Yoogeun, don't crawl on her!"

             I heard someone saying but most importantly, I felt a weight on my abdomen.

             "Get off kid!"

             And after that the weight was gone. My eyes fluttered open and saw a kid being hung in the midair. Huh? Oh wait, Lee Taemin was behind the kid and he's carrying the boy in his arms. "Hyung, who is this?"

             "Some random girl that wants to be my girlfriend – Oh hey, you're awake."

             I plopped myself up on my elbows before sitting upright, "Where am I now?"

             "My house," He replied as he let go of the kid and he ran out of the room. Oh really? His house?

             "Who's that kid?" I swing my leg off the bed and landed them on the cold tiled floor. How did I get here? I remembered I was waiting for his shooting to be over until...did I actually doze off?

             "That's my...—"

             "Don't lie that he's your son, I heard him calling you hyung just now."

             He rolled his eyes and headed out of the room with me following behind. I watched as the kid sat on the couch watching some cartoon on the flat screen and unknowingly, I went over to him and sat down beside him.

             "What's your name?" I smiled and ruffled his hair; he has got big eyes and long eyelashes with very deep double eyelids. "Jung Yoogeun, I'm five," He replied cheerfully.

             Taemin came and sat on another couch before leaning forward with his elbows on his lap. "So, what do you want?"

             "You haven't answered my question," I retorted. Didn't Mr. Kim say he live alone? So who this kid is? It's impossible that he's his son right? He's five and Taemin's like…young?

             "I'm nineteen, by the way. If you're debating whether he's my son."

             I scoffed and looked away from him. Am I making it very obvious that I'm thinking? Anyhow, he's nineteen and he's five. It can't be that he knocked up some girl when he's thirteen or fourteen right? But come to think of it, in this century, what's impossible?

             I heard him sighing. "He's not my son." I then gave him a questioning look and he took it as a cue to continue, "Maybe because both of us were unwanted kids, so we manage to bond well. Right, Yoogeunnie?" He flashed a smile at Yoogeun but his eyes reflected the otherwise.

             Hurt and loneliness.

             "His parents abandoned him on the street when he was only two. I pity him so I talked to him but who knows, he just follow me home."

             "And you raise him?"

             He nodded as he moved over to the other side of Yoogeun and ruffled his hair roughly. "So he's like my son," And he started to tickle Yoogeun in his tummy which causes him to topple over and landed on Taemin's body while laughing loudly.

             I watched as the both of them enjoyed themselves. For a moment, I feel like hugging Taemin and tell him that he's not an unwanted kid. For a moment, I feel like being part of the family and join in the fun. For a moment, I feel like taking care of both of them because I know how it feels to be an unwanted kid. And for a moment, I forgot what my purpose in coming here is.

             "Oh, what's your name?" Taemin asked with his chin on top of Yoogeun's head. "Sanghee, Goo Sanghee."

             "So...are you a noona or am I your oppa?" He asked again.

             "I'm eighteen."

             "Oh."

             And deafening silence filled the air until Yoogeun break it with his yawn. "Noona, can you read me a bedtime story? Hyung's stories were all so boring."

             "Yah!" Taemin playfully nudged Yoogeun's head and Yoogeun dodged it by running in my embrace. I scooped him up in my arms as he directed me to his room, completely ignoring Taemin.

             "Noona, you like hyung?" Yoogeun asked as soon as I tucked in his blanket. "I..." Obviously I can't tell a kid that I 'like' his hyung because I need to get this mission done because of the large amount of money. "Hyung is a good guy, although he brings different girls back. He never loves them."

             What? That flirt brought girls back? Did he even realize that Yoogeun was only five?!

             "But you have to obey his rule," Yoogeun pulled my sleeve to get my attention. "What rule?" I asked.

             "You have to face him if you're talking to him. He taught me that since I'm here..." Yoogeun's voice trailed off into a whisper before his eyes were close. I blinked and reach out to touch his cheek with my fingers, he's so soft. I stared at his long eyelashes and down to his pouty lips.

             "He looks like an angel right?"

             I snapped my head back and saw Taemin leaning against the door with a smile. "Yeah, he's like an angel..." I replied while facing Yoogeun. My hand run through his hair and slowly down to his cheek until something held my chin and tilted my head.

             "Face me if you're talking to me," Taemin whispered. I stared into his beautiful eyes and felt my heart beat getting faster. , he's too close!

             "Umm..." I pulled away from his touch without breaking the eye contact. "Sanghee, you said you want to be my girlfriend?" He asked with a gentle smile.

             My heart skipped a beat and I forcefully swallowed my saliva before letting out a fake smile.