I Promise

I Promise

 

 

Music for the mood~

 


 

 

 

He’s my shoulder to cry on, my support system, and my pillar of strength.

He heard sniffling from one of the bedrooms, and went to investigate.

“Changhyun?” There was the older, on his bed, crying. As soon as the younger entered the room, Changhyun tried desperately to wipe his tears, but to no avail; they still fell like waterfalls.

“Changhyun, what’s wrong?” Jonghyun sat on the bed, and rested his hand on his friend.

Immediately, Changhyun clung to Jonghyun and cried harder. Jonghyun could feel the nails digging into his back, the tears staining his shirt, and hear the heartbreaking sobs but he didn’t push his friend to talk. Instead, he held Changhyun and let him cry his heart out, until he could shed no more tears.

 “No one,” After his sobs quieted, Changhyun whispered his reply. “No one here cares.”

The boy, with tears running down his face, and puffy eyes, turned his back to Jonghyun. He tried his best to control the sobs, to block out Jonghyun. If he tried hard enough, maybe he could just make it all go away.

“I care.”

Changhyun didn’t look back at Jonghyun, but did listen.

“If I didn’t…why would I be here? Why would I be so concerned about you if I didn’t care?”

Slowly, Changhyun turned around. He didn’t know why. He couldn’t think of any other reason why Jonghyun would be there, no matter how hard he tried to think of one.

Looking at Jonghyun, Changhyun saw he was lost deep in his thoughts. He turned to Changhyun, and looked into his eyes.

“I mean, if I didn’t care, then I’d have no reason to be here. I can’t not care, but still be sitting here. It just doesn’t make sense.”

He spoke like it was the most obvious thing in the world, and it made Changhyun smile. Then it made him laugh. Jonghyun smiled as well, knowing he got through to his friend.

“Pabo!” Changhyun hit Jonghyun’s arm, still a bit giggly. “How can you talk like that when I’m crying?”

Jonghyun smiled at his friend, and let his head fall to one side.

“Because, I know it makes you laugh. Changhyun, we care about you; don’t ever doubt that. Yeah, we probably don’t do the best job of showing it, but we still care. I’ll try to be better for you. I’ll show you that I care, I promise.”

 

 

We’ve had our ups,

“Jonghyun!” he shouted, as soon as they were alone. “Why did you do that?”

“Do what?” The younger asked, faking confusion.

Changhyun glared. “You know what. Why did you tell the interviewer that I don’t have many lines because you are greedy? Why didn’t you just let me say that I’m not…I’m not as talented as you…”

He trailed off, depressing himself with his own words. Jonghyun caught his gaze, and gave an encouraging smile.

“I said all that so that you wouldn’t be teased. From this day forth, we begin your training. Come next album, Producer-nim will want to give you all the lines and I really will have to be greedy to even get one word. Remember, we promised we’d take care of each other; we’re best friends after all.”

Jonghyun smiled and walked off. Changhyun thought for a moment before following.

“Pabo. You’re taking the criticism that I should be receving.”

“That’s what friends are for.”

 

 

and our downs,

“Why have you been spending so much time with Niel hyung, huh?! It’s like I don’t even know you anymore!” The bluenette screamed at the red-head in front of him.

In the practice room, without anyone else, the two fought and screamed all of their frustrations at each other.

“Well, why have you been spending so much time with Byunghun hyung?! Aren’t I supposed to be your best friend Changhyun, or am I just doll you can come to whenever you need a shoulder to cry on? You’ve always hung out with him so much!”

“What are you so jealous of?! It’s not like I’m your girlfriend!”

“Then why are you questioning my hanging out with Niel hyung? It’s not like you’re my girlfriend!”

“Then why are you still yelling at me?! Huh, jagiya?!”

The fighting and the built up stress finally let itself out of its cage.

“Because I feel like I’ve lost you! The one person who I could trust from the beginning; my best friend; I’m slowly losing him! I’ve been wandering around, trying to find him, but I guess he found someone else to keep him company! You know that I’m not nearly as close with our hyungs as I am with you, you promised to stay by my side, and yet you still don’t bother to help me when I need you. Instead, you choose to hang out with Byunghunnie-hyung. I’m done. I give up. I’m finished with this loneliness that’s shaking me up, so excuse me if I try to find another best friend to trust!”

With a huff, Jonghyun stormed out of the practice room, leaving a devastated Changhyun behind.

 

but he’s always been there for me.

I guess I just never expected that I’d have to return the favor one day….

 

 


 

 

 

The front door slammed shut, causing all of us to jump in surprise. Our maknae walked into the dorm that morning, looking very tired and distressed. We all watched him. Carefully, he looked around at each of us, meeting our eyes for only a second before looking somewhere else. He opened and closed his mouth multiple times, struggling to say something.

“Jonghyun-ah,” Niel hyung broke the silence, almost pouncing on the distressed boy. “Is everything alright? We were worried; where have you been the past two days!?”

Jonghyun didn’t meet his worried gaze.

“Jonghyun, if something’s bothering you, you can tell us. We’re here for you.” Minsoo hyung said reassuringly; coaxing an answer out of him

Again, Jonghyun said nothing, and didn’t meet Minsoo’s gaze. Instead, he looked at me. He stared at me with that same look I’ve given to him so many times. That sad look; that devastating, lost, hopeless look only claimed my eyes for a moment and then I knew something was wrong; very wrong.

“Come on.” I whispered.

Taking his hand, I led him to the closest bedroom and shut the door behind us. Immediately he fell into my arms crying. I hugged him, held him close like he’s done for me, and felt him being racked with sobs. I let him take comfort in knowing that I was there for him, even if no words were exchanged.

“Hyung,” he whispered, when storm of emotions finally calmed. I led him to a bed, and had him sit.

“Changhyun….Promise me…” He trailed off, looking more lost than I’ve ever seen him.

“Promise me, you won’t abandon me….even if everyone else does…”

He looked at me, eyes filled with such fear. Jonghyun was a mess. He was tired, and looked older beyond his years. The bags under his eyes told me he had not slept, and his swollen eyes told me the tears he just shed were not the first that have recently fallen.

“I promise…after all, I’m your best friend. What kind of friend would I be if I abandoned you in your time of need?”

I tried to laugh it off, in attempt to get a smile from him, but when he looked at me, the fear was still in his eyes. My smile fell. Is it that bad?

“…I promise…” I whispered.

He suddenly couldn’t meet my gaze, as he rested his head in his hands. His breathing picked up, and he became nervous. He was trying to clam himself. We sat in silence for who knows how long. I didn’t dare say anything, but let him take his time with readying his confession.

“Hyung, I-”

And he told me every moment of it. He spared me few details, but no feelings. It hit me like a ton of bricks, and suddenly I felt just as lost as he did.

Jonghyun looked up at me, and I could see the tears welling up in his eyes. I took him into my arms and held him close, struggling to figure out my own feelings on the matter.

He cried more than I’d ever seen. His sobs echoed throughout the apartment that otherwise, was consumed deathly silence. We heard footsteps fading, and knew the others heard. He sobbed harder, so I held him tighter. He needed me, just as I needed him so many times before.

“What am I going to do?” he whispered.

I stayed silent for a while. I didn’t know; I don’t know. This moment was one of the most devastating moments of my life, and this didn’t even happen to me.

“I’m not sure,” I finally replied, “but we’ll get through this. It…It’ll be our secret.”

He pulled away from my embrace, and stared into me. That terrified, lost look had not left his face since he walked into the apartment.

“But…hyung…” he was shaking.

I pulled him back into my arms. “I told you, it’ll be our secret: you, me…and the hyungs...and her.”

His grip on me tightened. “And if she….”

I hesitated. “If she really is pregnant, I’ll still be here for you. I promised, and I’ll keep that promise: I won’t abandon you.”

That night, Jonghyun cried himself to sleep. I stayed with him. Our hyungs, I knew, would be conflicted, but I also knew I’d never stray from my friend. He needs me, just as I’ve need him so many times before.

“We’ll get through this…one step at a time…”

It’s my turn to be his support, his support system, and his pillar of strength. There will be ups, and there will be downs, but I am his friend, so I’ll stay by his side until the bitter end.

 

I promise.

 

 

 


 

 

Word count: 1650

Thanks for reading this! Dearest admin of the Oh-Tee-P contest, I especially hope you enjoyed reading this. 

So, it was originally three different one-shots that I mashed together, the first in which Jonghyun possibly gets a girl preggers, the second in which Jonghyun takes the blame for Changhyun not having so many lines in any of Teen Top's songs, and the third in which  Jonghyun feels like he's losing his best friend to Byunghun. 

I think I did alright with this, what do you think?

 

EDIT: I made my friend read this, and she found a grammer error at the very end of the story. "...but I am his friend." originally said "but I am his friends."

"Bad grammer nazi" she scolded me.

Well, at least I didn't have any other mistakes.....as far as I can tell....