Chapter 11

The End

 

It’s nighttime when Soojin arrives at New York. The plane ride had greatly drained her. The first thing she does when she enters her new room is lie down. She is all sorts of jetlag and the only cure she can find is sleep.

 

But then she remembers Kyungsoo’s letter that he had given her before she left. She retrieves it from her coat pocket. She feels the contents of the envelop then tears the left side carefully, making sure not to tear the paper inside.

 

She takes out the two sheets of handmade paper neatly folded into thirds, its color is of a light shade of blue.

 

She unfolds them and starts to read her best friend’s letter for her.

 

Half-way through the first page, she starts tearing up. Her heartbeats getting faster and faster as she reads on until the 2nd page with Kyungsoo’s favorite poem.

 

Guilt pounds at her chest. She feels stupid for just finding out that her best friend has been in love with her for the last 9 years.

 

She had never thought that it was possible.

 

But it is.

 

And she regrets leaving. Because now she realizes that she loves him, too. And she wants to be with him so bad.

 

She cannot do anything more. She promises herself that she will call him in the morning and do some explaining of her own.

 

But for now, she’ll have to wait.

 

She imagines Kyungsoo whispering to her How Do I Love Thee as she drifts off to sleep with teary eyes.