Jade's Friend.

Seven Days.

 

          “We’re here,” Jade said, opening the door to the café and motioning for Chanyeol to enter, which he did, eyes curiously looking around at the pale pink place. Jade followed behind and gently pushed Chanyeol’s back, leading him towards the booth where her friend sat, back towards them. “Yo!” The boy turned around and smiled.

          “Jade, you finally made it!” he said. “And who is this? Have you replaced me?” He tried to act hurt, but soon grinned and extended a hand. “I’m Kyle, or call me Kyungsoo. I’m this girl’s bestie.” Chanyeol happily shook his hand.

          “I’m Chanyeol! Jade never mentioned she had a best friend,” Chanyeol said, looking at Jade and pouting. She took a seat across from Kyungsoo at the booth. She scooted over and patted the hard seat for Chanyeol to sit.

          “That’s because I didn’t think he’d be back from his trip so soon,” she said, looking at Kyungsoo. “So, when did you get back? Tell me about it!”

          “Ooh~ Where did you go?” Chanyeol beamed.

        Kyungsoo chuckled, “I went to Seoul in South Korea. For auditions. They seemed to like me. A lot!” Kyungsoo was beaming himself. Jade smiled wide and clasped her hands together. She was genuinely happy for her best friend. This was exciting news, but it had a hint of sadness in it that she completely ignored at the moment.

          “I told you that you are amazing! You never listen to me. You’re always so worried what others think…” Jade pouted, which caused Chanyeol’s eyes to widen as he looked at her.

          “You are pouting!” Chanyeol said, pointing at her pout. Kyungsoo watched, amused, and laughed quietly as Jade flinched. She looked at Chanyeol.

          “Yeah, and?”

          “You never pout around me. I pout around you all the time!” It hurt Chanyeol a bit. Jade acted the exact opposite around this ‘Kyle’ boy and towards Chanyeol, she was mean. Why, he wondered.

          “Hold up!” Kyungsoo interrupted. “Who is he to you anyways? You never explained. Is he your boyfriend?” Kyungsoo nudged Jade’s foot under the table and she glared at him.

          “No-“

          “I told Louise I was,” Chanyeol said, smiling. He still didn’t understand the term quiet that well.

         Jade’s eyes widened and Kyungsoo laughed. “Why the hell did you do that? She is a blabbermouth! She goes around creating gossip and drama around the apartment complex, you idiot!” Jade slapped his arm as the waitress walked up.

          “Hello,” she said to them. “What can I get you to drink?”     

          “Amazing coffee,” Chanyeol said, turning to the lady, “you look pretty.” The waitress was wearing her simple smock with pockets (it had some sort of odd-looking design on it that Chanyeol considered both “cute” and “pretty”), and she wore a pink dress underneath. She wasn’t dolled up or anything, just the usual, simple look.

          The lady smiled, “Awh, thank you. I’ll get you some amazing coffee.” She then winked at the boy, who returned the wink.

          After a second, and before Jade or Kyungsoo could let a word out, Chanyeol blurted, “Jade wants coffee, too.”  Jade closed and rubbed her temples as she stared at the table. Kyungsoo just chuckled and ordered some coffee as well before the waitress left.

          “So, Chanyeol, how did you meet Jade?” Kyungsoo asked, leaning forward and grinning.

          “It was raining and I needed help, and she helped me.”

          “Such a nice girl,” Kyungsoo cooed, patting Jade’s head. She leaned back against the seat and frowned, narrowing her eyes at Kyungsoo.

          “He asked for a place to stay for seven days-“

          “And seven nights,” Chanyeol added, nodding.

          “Right.” Jade sighed. “And he wouldn’t shut up, so I helped. Besides, he looked pathetic in the rain, all wet and like a lost puppy.”

          “Pathetic?” Chanyeol asked, pouting and turning to Jade, who in turn pushed his face away.

          “You two really look cute together,” Kyungsoo enthused. He leaned back and held his fingers up, making a square like he was picturing them in an image together. He smiled and put his hands down. Jade kicked him under the table, which led to him trying not to yell in the café and embarrass himself. Jade loved Kyungsoo – he was her ultimate best friend here in London – but sometimes she’d just like to shove him in some dark, creepy area and let the ghosts out his soul. That sounded demented, but Jade couldn’t help it. She’d been reading horror stories in her free time and kind of wished they were in one right now. Kyungsoo would definitely die first.

He frowned at her. “You really need coffee. Or a tranquilizer.”

          As if on cue, the waitress walked up, set the three cups of coffee down and set a pitcher of coffee down as well and smiled. “Now how about some food?”

          “Megan, you know me well enough, right?” Jade asked, looking at her. The lady nodded. Jade and Kyungsoo both had been in the café enough times.

          “The usual then?”

          “Please,” Jade said, grabbing her cup of coffee, blowing on it and then taking a sip of it and nearly burning her tongue and dropping said coffee. Chanyeol looked at his coffee and decided not to drink it at the moment. If Jade had that reaction, he might as well forget the coffee.

          “For you?” she asked Kyungsoo.

          “A hamburger, no cheese and no onions. And French fries of course,” he told her.

          “And you?” she asked, turning to Chanyeol. He stared at her blankly.

          “He’ll have the same as me,” Jade said, setting her coffee down. She realized Chanyeol had no idea what to order. Even if they had food on Olympus - and in the underworld, wherever – it wasn’t anything like Earth’s food. Right? Might as well stick with something she found to be delicious when ordering for him. Instead of him blabbering off nonsense and asking insane questions.

          “Okay, I’ll be back shortly,” she stated, finishing writing the orders down.

          “What do you eat?” Chanyeol asked Jade.

          “You’ll see,” she said.

          “So tell me more, either of you,” Kyungsoo said as soon as the atmosphere calmed down and the three were as quiet as mice. Jade looked at him and shrugged, not knowing what to say. She had to say something though. She didn’t need Chanyeol telling a tale of elves and Laynicorn and his best friend, Bacon, the God of Light. She didn’t need Kyungsoo pulling her aside and asking if they should call a psych ward. No. So just as Chanyeol leaned up to start talking, Jade began,

“About what? Him being here? Why can’t you tell more about your experience in Seoul? You are a possible trainee, Kyungsoo. Don’t leave me in the dark, even if your future contract says so.”

          Kyungsoo chuckled at Jade, nodding his head a bit. She glanced at Chanyeol, who was watching Kyungsoo intently, seemingly curious. Was he always so curious? If so, how did he not know everything there is to know with all the questions he asks? She’d save that question for another time though.

          “There isn’t much to tell. I went in, auditioned, and they kept me a minute or two longer than usual, which is obviously a good sign!” Kyungsoo was beaming, obviously so happy that light could surround him and give the same feeling. She smiled at her friend, happy. “I’ll get a notice soon enough.. unless they really didn’t like me.”

          “What did you sing?”

          “Rolling in the Deep,” Kyungsoo replied instantly, grinning ear to ear. Jade let out a small ‘tch’ and rolled her eyes. That was so typical of Kyungsoo. He was literally obsessed with singers with extreme vocal skills – Adele, Christina Aguilera, Avril Lavigne, Shakira. He rarely listened to anyone else.. with the exception of Bruno Mars, Miley Cyrus (which Jade found overrated, by far), and some Korean groups that even Jade had second thoughts on. Kyungsoo.. was typical.

          “Can you sing that for me?” Chanyeol asked with a calm tone. One Jade had never heard. She looked at him and so did Kyungsoo – but Kyungsoo was wide-eyed. Chanyeol gave him a reassuring grin, which didn’t help.

          “N-Now? I can’t now. I can outside, maybe. I don’t want to draw attention in here, honestly,” Kyungsoo managed to let out. Jade hadn’t seem him nervous in years. This was a first and she bit her lip not to laugh out loud at the shy Kyungsoo across from her. Chanyeol just nodded at Kyungsoo, still grinning. Jade looked at Kyungsoo once more and raised an eyebrow as she saw a slight blush across his cheeks. Maybe she was hallucinating, but maybe not. For a moment, she thought maybe, just maybe, Kyungsoo might have a thing for Chanyeol. Maybe.

 

 

“What is this heavenly food?” Chanyeol asked, mouth full. Jade ate her food more politely and told Chanyeol repeatedly that he didn’t need to eat like a caveman. Chanyeol assured her that cavemen ate worse than that. Kyungsoo was eating his French fries and even let Chanyeol try one, to which Chanyeol stated “Can I have these until I leave?”

          “So, how is it living with Jade here?” Kyungsoo asked Chanyeol, dipping the French fry into ketchup and then taking a bite of it.

          “I like her cat.”

          “Jisook? Yeah, she doesn’t like me,” Kyungsoo said, taking another bite of the French fry, then grabbing another one and repeating his routine.

          “Really? You must have bothered her then-“

          “Chanyeol got scared of a moth,” Jade said, interjecting that way Chanyeol wouldn’t mention how he literally talks to her pet cat. That would weird Kyungsoo out beyond belief.

          “A moth?” Kyungsoo laughed. “Why?”

          Chanyeol’s eyes widened and he looked at Jade, “You said it was deadly!”

          “I lied,” Jade said in a gentle (a fake gentle) tone, taking a bite of her lasagna.

          “Jade, that’s just mean,” Kyungsoo told her. “Chanyeol, buddy, don’t worry. Jade has done that to me before, too.” At least the smile Kyungsoo gave Chanyeol was gentle and caring. The thoughts of him having a thing for Chanyeol crossed Jade’s mind again and she restrained herself from shuddering. She’d never really asked Kyungsoo about his uality, she just assumed he was straight.

          “Oh hey!” Chanyeol said after a minute, smiling wide. “Doh.. Kyungsoo! Jade, didn’t it say in your diary that-“ Jade covered his mouth as quickly as she could.

          “I will cut you,” she threatened. His eyes widened and Kyungsoo just watched, a bit shocked and entirely confused.

          “You read her diary? You let him read your diary?”

          “Hell no!” Jade said loudly, causing some customers to look at her. “You know I like to keep that stuff private. He,” Jade said, removing her hand, “decided to read it. I never allowed him to. And if he tells anyone what is in there, I will murder him.”       

          Chanyeol gulped and looked down at his food. “S-Sorry.”

          “You scared him,” Kyungsoo said, pointing his thumb at Chanyeol. “What kind of host scares her guest? That’s not friendly or very host-ly.”

          “Host-ly?” Jade scoffed. She sat back and crossed her arms. “If you want him to be more welcomed and cared for, you take him. Since you like him so much.”

          “Can’t,” Kyungsoo said. “Or I would.”

          “Then shut your face before I do it for you.”

          Kyungsoo let out a sigh and he pulled some money from his wallet, “I’ll pay for everyone.” He exited the booth and headed to the cash register. For a slight second, Jade knew she probably crossed a line with something, because this meal was cut a bit short. At least most of their food was finished.

          “Come on,” Jade told Chanyeol, nudging him. “Drop the look and let’s go to the park.”

          Chanyeol scooted out of the booth and stood up, waiting on Jade, who headed over to Kyungsoo. They all exited together; eyes of the customers followed them out. They made a scene, sadly.

        “I’ll see you later then,” Kyungsoo told Jade, “Maybe you, too.. Chanyeol. It was nice meeting you.” There was that genuine, friendly smile that was aimed towards Chanyeol. Jade winced this time, turning her head to look at the passers-by and hoping he didn’t catch a glimpse of that. Chanyeol waved as Kyungsoo left, humming. Jade wouldn’t force him to stay – it was a given that she needed someone else to babysit Chanyeol at the moment before she strangled him. But half of her didn’t want Chanyeol to go with Kyungsoo now.

          “He’s just- Ugh,” Jade commented to herself, shooting daggers at Kyungsoo while she watched him head across the street. She turned to Chanyeol. “I have a better idea instead of the park.” He smiled at her words. Jade had to admit, she felt a bit bad about the incident that took place in the café. She didn’t mean to be so harsh, but.. she couldn’t help it. She was not risking her secrets getting out. And besides, it isn’t like she isn’t that way at her apartment with him.

          Jade and Chanyeol headed down the street, the cool air breezing past them and silence filling the air. Jade was thinking, of course and as always, but she was curious about Chanyeol. Once again, actually. That was something that had been happening quite often. She wanted to ask more about him and the fictional world he lived in, but she didn’t want to get too interested. He was leaving on Monday and that would be the last time she would ever see the tall, deep-voiced boy. That she looked forward to.

 

          Ballad-like music filled the giant ballroom. Clouds floated at the top of the high ceiling, murals filling the spaces you could see. The room was almost a perfect temperature and Jade smiled, content in this place. She looked around, seeing so many unfamiliar faces, yet she felt at home. She walked, her heels tapping against the marble floor below her. This place was eccentric and well-crafted. She adored it, and wanted to explore. But as soon as she turned to go up the staircase, someone moved into her way, causing her to stop and glare up at the person-

 

          “Jade?” Chanyeol repeated, looking at her a bit worried. She blinked rapidly, looking up at Chanyeol, who paused before asking again, “Didn’t you mention you liked Kyungsoo at one point?”

          Jade waited a moment, curious about whatever zoning out vision that was. “How did I know that’s what you were going to say at the café?” she asked herself more than him. He just blinked, not knowing what to respond. “But yeah. When I first met him. But that was years ago. We’re best friends now. He’s like my brother.”

          “You know, I rarely hear of things like that where I’m from. I hear that some Gods and Goddesses fall in love, but it is mainly lust. And lots of it. Is love fun?” The two stopped at a cross light that had the red signal on, telling them to wait. Jade pushed the button and waited as she pondered the question. She had had a first love, yes, and she was fond of that memory, no matter how painful it was. But was it fun?

          “It’s.. okay,” she finally replied. The light turned green and they walked across the street. They still had a ways to go before they reached Jade’s desired destination. Chanyeol was curious – of it and her ‘love story’. He asked about it and Jade sighed, dreading the fact she know had to sum up her first love story and tell it. To this stranger. So she told him, briefly, about her past love and how love could be a pain in the rear. Chanyeol would think it over for the rest of the night. Maybe love was only fun for some people.

          Jade stopped in front of the movie theater and looked at Chanyeol, grinning, and he looked from the building to Jade. “What’s this?”

          “We’re going to see a movie,” Jade said, nudging him. “I think you’ll really enjoy this one, too.” Jade didn’t know why, maybe it was the fact she had been too harsh on him since he began staying with her, but she felt the urge to be nice to him. And she wanted to see his annoying smile. Andat this point, she totally forgot about her little zoning out spell that happened, and that odd place she saw.

          “Really?” He looked at the movie theater before grabbing her arm and pulling her inside. After getting the tickets, popcorn, drinks, and a bunch of candy mainly for Chanyeol, the two entered the room and found some seats. They were ones in the back since Jade didn't want people complaining about the tall guy who is in their way. “Wah! That is a big screen, Jade!”

         “Shush,” Jade said, taking her seat. He sat beside her and smiled wide, grabbing a handful of popcorn and shoving it into his mouth. “This stuff is good!” he told Jade, mouth full.
  
         “What did I tell you about talking with your mouth full?” Jade asked, setting her things down.
  
        “That it is rude,” he replied, putting more popcorn into his mouth. That creepy calm tone was back. And Jade felt uneased by it. “But honestly, I don’t care.”
   
        “Obviously,” Jade said under her breath.
 

 


 

author's notes;
i hinted chansoo because i think the two are cute, so. you feel me?