The Definition of 'Park Chanyeol'.

Seven Days.

          Jade stayed in her room for a good hour before exiting it; her mind was made up that questions were the best thing right now. Chanyeol had spent his time petting Jisook or pressing random buttons on the TV remote; he found an episode of Lilo & Stitch, which amused him quite a bit. It was an episode about a girl version, like Stitch, but more seductive and prettier. And ultimately Stich fell for her. Chanyeol watched, in awe, until the last bit. He liked the fact that Lilo was trying to train slugs to be in a circus, and Stitch’s unique language, and the whole weird skinship thing. He touched his hand to his face. Skinship.

          “Are you watching Lilo & Stitch?” Jade asked the supposed to be rhetorical question. She leaned on the back of the couch and watched the images flash by, showing the cute cartoons do whatever it was they were doing. She grinned half-heartedly. Chanyeol nodded at her question.

          “I think that’s what it is called. I like it!” he said to her, smiling his usual smile. “Angel is cute!”

          “Isn’t she evil?” Jade questioned as the pink creature crossed the screen.

          “Like you?” Chanyeol asked, not realizing what he said. Jade frowned and hit the back of his head. He moved away and instantly reached his hand up to the spot she hit, hissing in pain.

          “I’m not evil,” she retorted, walking away.

          “You act evil!” She turned around as she reached the front door; she was about to leave for a few minutes to calm her nerves. She was seconds away from imploding and- she needed air. She realized, however, that she was supposed to ask this supposed ‘God’ about his life. She slowly trudged back over to the back of the couch, hit his head again, and walked around to the front before sitting beside him and turning to him. “Are you going to kill me?” he asked her, still rubbing his head. She pained him, physically and mentally. She must have some reason for confronting him.. this way, right?

          “I’d like to,” she replied, eyeing him. “I have questions for you.”

          “I like questions.”

          “Full name?” she asked.

          “Chanyeol Park. Park Chanyeol. It’s spelled, in English: C-H-A-N-”

          “Age?”

          He blinked. “I’m nineteen-“

          “I thought you were a God. God’s don’t age.”

          He looked at her. “I didn’t say I was one. Not yet anyways.”

          “Tell me about that then. What are you?

          Chanyeol looked up at the ceiling and thought for a minute before looking back at the cartoon on TV. “I’m Chanyeol. I have a best friend named Baekhyun, his mother and my mother were close, so we’re close. And I have a cat named Cat-“ Jade snorted, “-rina, my dad got a human pregnant, resulting in the birth of me, Park Chanyeol, and he is the God, Hades. You know him? God of the underworld.. or Tartarus. Yeah. He’s my dad. I was supposedly named after him, but my mother always refused to refer to me as the name. So she called me ‘Chanyeol’, after her brother she lost in a war.” Jade just stared at Chanyeol as he watched the cartoon. She was dumbfounded and unsure of what to say. He just said his dad, the father that helped create him, was the one and only God of the underworld. And that he knocked up some random Korean chick and that Korean chick’s friend got knocked up and- friends with some guy- Hades? She didn’t know if she wanted to laugh or what. This was-

          “Am I being punk’d?” she asked, lips pressed in a thin line. She was sure she’d asked this before but hey, it doesn’t hurt to clarify.

          He looked at her, blank expression, and shook his head. “I don’t think so. Is something trying to punk you?” He really didn’t know what ‘punk’d’ meant, though he didn’t want to say.

          She heaved a sigh. Chanyeol was an idiot.

          “Tell me more then,” she said to him. “I want to know more about you since I am letting you stay until Monday.”

          “Uhm.. Like what? I’m Chanyeol. My best friend-“

          She covered his mouth, “Tell me about your best friend then. I’ve already got your name, babo.” He nodded and she uncovered his mouth to let him speak.

          “My best friend is Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun, in Korean. He’s like me, same age, but short and both of his parents are Godly. Except his mother was in a line of Korean descendants that were Godly, and her friend, my mom.. well she introduced her and Hades, I think. It’s weird.” He smiled. Godly.

          “Chanyeol, not to be rude or anything, but please don’t smile after everything you say,” Jade said, rubbing her temple. His smile disappeared and he nodded. She figured someone could tell him he was about to die and he’d still smile. “So.. this Baekhyun- That name just-“ She chuckled. It sounded like the English word, ‘bacon’.

          “What?” he asked her, tilting his head.

          “Nothing. Go on about him. His parents are both Gods?”

          “God and Goddess, yes. His father is Aether. His mother is Dayon. They planned to send Baekhyun to Earth once he was of age, to test him in something. They do that with full Gods. I don’t know why. But with me, they have to test my skills on Olympus. Baek has the power of light, like his dad I mentioned a second ago. It’s pretty cool. He blinded me once.” Only Chanyeol could make ‘he blinded me once’ sound awesome. He said in such a cheerful way, you’d want to be blinded, too.

          “Blinded you? With his power.. of light. Right..” Jade said, nodding. She was trying her best to believe this. But this was real life, for God’s sake! Not some story, not some TV show, not a stupid movie! How could Gods and Goddesses exist in real life? They couldn’t. Everything she has ever known in life would be twisted if this were real. And that’s something you just can’t take in in a day’s time. No way.

          “Baek is arranged to marry this.. spirit next year. Her name is Aria. If I told you where she came from, you’d question why she was going to marry Baekhyun.. the God of light.” He looked back at the TV; a new show was on. Something with cute cartoons and lots of catchy, children music.

          A spirit. A spirit was marrying a God. And this God was the God of light. And he was Chanyeol’s best friend. And Chanyeol is like a wannabe God, except.. he doesn’t want to be one. She blinked rapidly as she tried to get this information to stick. But it was like the type of glue that is runny and needs time to stick. The information was exactly like that.

          “I thought Gods and Goddesses had to stay where they were and do stuff. I thought they weren’t supposed to come to Earth or anything. Just control stuff with their powers and.. yeah.” At least.. That’s what Jade remembered from reading about Greek Gods and Goddesses in mythology.

          “Oh they can travel wherever they want, really,” Chanyeol said, scratching his nape. “I have another friend who is friends with a human and he travels down here all the time!”

          “Who is he?”

          “Laynicorn,” Chanyeol sings off-key, smiling wide and moving his hands around. He eventually stuck to putting his fist on top of his forehead and extending his pointer finger; it was supposed to represent being a unicorn. Jade didn’t catch that.

          “Laynicorn? What kind of name is that?”

          “A nickname.” He put his hand down. “Some demi-Gods on Olympus nicknamed him that. For some odd reason, his sign is a unicorn and his father calls him Lay. I think he was named after his mom.”

          “Right,” Jade said, rubbing her temples again. Laynicorn.

          “I mentioned Lay earlier. Don’t you remember? He is a demi-God, like me, and he goes to see his Canadian friend, Wu Fan.”

          “Wu Fan,” Jade said flatly. “Lay. Demi-God.” Jade made sure to emphasize her words. She blew out some air and puffed her cheeks, standing. “If you need me, I’m going to go jump in front of a bus to see if this is reality or not.” Jade began to walk towards her door and Chanyeol literally jumped over the back of the couch, snagged his foot on it and fell on his face, letting out an uncommon sound. And by uncommon.. it was a sound you rarely heard; a mixture between an ‘oomph’ and a squeal. That’s the best way she could ever describe it.

          Jade stopped and turned around to see Chanyeol lying there, groaning, as he lay on his face.        

         “Wow,” Jade said, crossing her arms and watching him. “For a God- wow.”

 

 

 


 

          Jade decided that the following day, she would take Chanyeol out into the real world. This was a good idea to her for many reasons;
          One, he would get out of her apartment, stop snooping and rifling through her things, and would be less of a risk to her personal items. Which that would be of great relief since last night he got into her underwear drawer on accident and questioned everything.
          Two, he could learn about Earth and stop being stupid.
          Three, she just wanted him out of her place.

He was hesitant though, complaining that his parents might spot him- but she reminded him that that was kind of impossible, especially if he was from the underworld. Chanyeol finally agreed to her plans for that Friday.

          After washing the clothes he was in, he put them back on. But while they were washing, Jade forced him into the bathroom to take a bath. Not a shower. A bath. So he wouldn’t fall and ruin things again.

 Jade was dressed in something casual of hers, grabbed her umbrella in case it rained on them (England weather was unpredictable), and they headed out of her apartment. Fresh air, she mentally cooed as she breathed in the air.

          “Where are we going first?” Chanyeol asked excitedly, looking around the elevator as if it was beyond interesting, which it wasn’t, by far. Just plain wallpaper, buttons that were worn and used-looking, and a stained spot on one wall that no one could explain.

They reached the lobby of her building and Chanyeol cheerily greeted the man at the desk, the strangers in the lobby and checking in, and the door man. All to which just smiled and greeting the boy back just as cheerily. That irked Jade inside.

         “Well, it is 10 AM, so we can go get brunch, maybe some coffee, and I’ll take you through the park. Mkay?” Jade glanced at Chanyeol, who nodded enthusiastically. He was excited for sure. Much more excited than Jade thought she could ever be. But then again, she learned that things excite him pretty easily. She wondered if she could show him some cardboard and if he would be cheery about seeing that. He was a giant child.

          “What’s coffee?” he asked. “Jisook said you drink that a lot. She said it smells gross, and it tastes gross and that you are gross.”

          “My cat is so nice,” Jade commented sarcastically.

          “She also wanted to know why you shave in the weirdest areas,” Chanyeol said, eyes smiling as he looked at her, curious. Of course he didn’t know about where female’s shaved, or that they did shave. And Jade just kind of wished she could just erase that sentence.

          “This is so off-topic,” Jade said, trying to push that subject out of question. She didn’t feel like explaining something like that to him. At all. Or ever. Coffee was a much better subject. “Coffee is a drink. It is made from coffee beans and water. It tastes good. Jisook is a cat; of course she doesn’t like coffee.”

          “Explains a lot!” Chanyeol said, nodding. “Why does cat food taste weird?”

          “Don’t tell me you tried the cat food,” Jade told him, groaning.

          “Why? Is that bad? Will I die?”

          “No, that’s just gross, Chanyeol-“

          “You should call me Yeol or Yeollie. Baekhyunnie calls me that. I call him a lot of things.”

          Now that Chanyeol had explained a bit more about his life and gave some insight into this fictional world of his, Jade had noticed him mentioning Baekhyun a lot. Or as she decided to refer to him as, Bacon. Bacon came up in a lot of Chanyeol’s stories, granted he was Chanyeol’s best friend apparently.

          Earlier that morning, after Jade had to descriptively explain why cat’s don’t like baths and why he now had a thousand scratches everywhere and was bleeding, she and Chanyeol had another talk; more like Chanyeol told another fictional story and Jade commented, amused and totally not believing anything that exited his mouth.

          From what she thought, and how she understood the relationship between the two besties, even though they were close, the one thing that separated them dramatically and was looked down upon was the fact that Chanyeol was a demi-God, but he wanted out of that title. He was besties with a God, and that wasn’t necessarily so bad. But the fact that Chanyeol was worming his way out of his responsibilities and was ignoring everything and all his studies to be a God, made people of that Greek world look down upon him. His own father, Hades, even looked down upon him less than he should. He loved his son, but the fact that he ignored his own blood and who he was angered him.

          Despite all of that, Bacon still maintained a good friend relationship with Chanyeol. The two were inseparable. Jade admired this about the unfamiliar Bacon. He seemed like a good friend. He never left Chanyeol’s side, despite what every God, Goddess, demi-God, spirit, etc. thought of the tall boy. A bit of her wished she could meet this Bacon boy. She really wanted to know his actual height, too, because at this point.. he could be a midget. Chanyeol’s description surely made it seem that way. A midget.. or a hobbit. She didn’t know a big difference there anyways. Little did Jade know, though, that there was much more to the story of the two besties.

          “I would like to try coffee,” Chanyeol said, stretching his arms up over his head.

          Jade was about to speak, but her phone rang, causing her to sigh inwardly and pull it from her pocket it and answer it, “Hello?” After a few minutes of speaking and Jade’s laughing, which Chanyeol grinned at, she ended her call. “Do you want to meet my friend?” That was probably a bad decision, Jade decided, since Chanyeol yelled, “Wah!” and turned to her and was smiling crazily. He shook her and nodded. “You have a friend? Of course! Let's meet him!”

          “Chanyeol,” she grabbed his arms and made him remove them from her shoulders; “people are staring.” Indeed, everyone around them was staring at the two. He looked around, shrugged, completely un-phased by looks strangers were giving him, and then looked at Jade. “You’ll like my friend, Chanyeol.” Jade said, walking again. She entirely ignored his comment "you have a friend?" But she did want to smack him.

          “Is he nice?”

          “Completely. Naggy, but nice. He’s Korean~” Jade sang half-heartedly.

          “Like us?” Chanyeol asked, putting a hand on her shoulder. She nodded. “I like Koreans.”

          Jade chuckled at his comment. Chanyeol was different, that was for sure.

 

 

 


 

author's notes;
hi.