Home Economics P.2 (DaeJong)

A Collage of Rice

Part 2

 

Day four: Cooking dinner together

Daehyun was seated on the couch with his feet comfortably perched on the table as he flipped through the channels. He had successfully conned Jongup into cooking dinner as planned and was now waiting to be fed.

A crash resounded somewhere in the kitchen, piquing his curiosity.

“Daehyunie can you come over here and help me for a second?”

Upon hearing the request he groaned, but nevertheless dragged himself to the kitchen.

“What do you need help with-”         

 Jongup stood smiling rather sheepishly in the middle of the chaos that was once his kitchen. Globs of viscous substance stained the walls and ceiling in almost every shade of the rainbow, some utensils lay broken and tossed on the floor while the gaping microwave presented the remains of a package of bunny marshmallows.

Jongup was still standing there, but Daehyun did a double take to the knife in one hand and the bleeding finger on the other hand. Jongup with a butter knife was already dangerous enough, how in the hell did he get a real knife?

Daehyun rushed past the disaster, gently disarming Jongup and cradling his injured hand to his chest.

“What did you do?” Daehyun chided as he examined the wound.

“I was trying to cut the meat…”

It was a shallow cut, so thankfully no stitches were needed. He quickly pulled the speechless Jongup to the sink to rinse out the wound. Daehyun felt a stab of guilt as he watched the thin ribbon of blood go down the sink and cursed himself for not at least supervising the airhead.

Taking a clean dishcloth he tightly wrapped it around the cut and ordered Jongup to stay put while he grabbed the first aid kit in his bathroom. Daehyun arrived with a box of bandaids and ointments and placed it on the counter next to the quiet Jongup.

“Stay still.”

As Daehyun gingerly tended to the wound, he glanced up to check on Jongup.

“Sorry for messing up your kitchen,” Jongup pouted.

“We can clean it later…Does your hand hurt?”

He wrapped the hello kitty band-aid around Jongup’s finger and then held it out to examine his work.

“A little,” Jongup frowned.

Daehyun realize he was still holding Jongup’s hand and let go.

“…Maybe if you kiss it I’ll feel better,” Jongup suggested coyly.

Daehyun rolled his eyes and placed a quick peck on his cheek. He stepped back and grinned when he saw the shocked expression on Jongup’s face.

“Oh sorry, did you mean kiss your finger?”

He brought Jongup’s hand to his lips and gingerly kissed every one of his fingers while feeling his heart grow larger in his chest each time. He watched Jongup’s cheeks grower redder with each intimate kiss, but he couldn’t help himself. Teasing him was fun.

Daehyun discovered that he liked making Jongup flustered and smiling. He liked being with him.

“Do you feel better now-”

“HOLY THE STOVE IS ON FIRE.”

Daehyun drops Jongup’s hand and rushes over to extinguish the flaming pot of charred rice, nearly singeing his eyebrows in the processes.

“Oops…”

Once the once there was no longer imminent danger, Daehyun simply throws Jongup a judgmental look and states, “Congratulations, you are no longer in charge of cooking.”

.

It’s already late into the night until Daehyun and Jongup are done cleaning the kitchen and the two are now eating the Chinese takeout on the floor.

In between mouthfuls of lo mein, Daehyun asked, “So what inclined you to put a package of marshmallows in the microwave?”

“Junhong told me that cool things happen when you microwave marshmallows, so I wanted to try it,” Jongup shrugged.

“Do us both a favor and never take advice from that kid again.”

.

 

Day five: Divorce

“You’ve been hanging out with Jongup a lot lately,” Youngjae wiggles his eyebrows to hint lewd suggestions.

“No I haven’t”

“Yes you have~” His annoying best friend says in a sing-song voice, “You’ve already had three dates with him in a single week!”

“It was school related,” Daehyun explains.

“Sure. You guys went shopping, saw the movies, cooked dinner together…Need I say more Mr. Moon?”

“Shut up.”

Youngjae puffs out his cheeks in indignation and rolls his eyes as Daehyun continues to eat Youngjae’s lunch. He settles on crossing his arms and looking thoughtfully at his fat of a best friend.

“So do you like him?”

“What?”

“Just answer the question, Daehyun.”

“No.”

“I’m not an idiot like you are, Dae. I can tell when you’re lying.”

“If you know so much, why are you even asking?”

Youngjae places his face obnoxiously close to Daehyun’s and begins to sing, “Daehyun and Jongup, sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g…”

“Stop it.”

“First comes love, then comes marriage-”

“Don’t make me kill you.”

“Then comes an egg in a baby carriage-”

Daehyun’s patience has run out and he shouts, “I DON’T LIKE HIM!”

The whole cafeteria falls silent under Daehyun’s loud outburst and he’s given strange looks from all directions. He runs exasperated fingers through his hair and curses himself for having such a nosy friend. Could he not simply eat Youngjae’s lunch in piece?

“I hate…Moon Jongup,” Daehyun easily lies through his teeth.

He continues to rattle on a list of Moon Jongup characteristics, “He has this weird obsession of Chris Brown, he’s clumsy, he’s a dork, he’s childish, annoying and most of all, he’s a complete idiot.”

And that’s why I love him.

“Wait a second Daehyun, you don’t really-”

Youngjae is cut off when someone behind them drops their lunch tray and sprints out the door, leaving a messy mosaic of food as the plastic dish clatters all over the place.

Daehyun turns around to glare at whoever had interrupted his feeding time but freezes when he realizes the subject of his rant was had just run away carrying potentially hurtful words.

“…”

“Go get em’ tiger,” Youngjae nudges Daehyun in the ribs

“ you.”

Daehyun immediately stands up from his seat and runs after the idiot, leaving Youngjae to poke at the remains of his lunch.

.

Daehyun chases Jongup into the bathroom, only to have a grimy stall door slammed in his face. He’s already leaning against the door, panting because he’s never had to run that hard for anything in his life.

“…Jongup.”

“Go away,” Jongup answers stiffly.

Once he’s finally caught his breath Daehyun pounds on the door, hoping it would open.

“I’m not leaving until you open the door, Jongup.”

“I want a divorce.”

There’s a mix a sadness and disbelief at Jongup’s word choice. He wants a divorce??

“What are you even saying?”

“I’m terminating this marriage. And I’m claiming custody over Chris Brown.”

Daehyun throws his hands up in the air and loses his temper, “Since when were we married? We were assigned by random! I never asked to be your partner! I never even wanted that egg. You can have him.”

There’s a silence that follows and Daehyun instantly regrets every mean thing he’s said to him. This isn’t what he planned to say. He wanted to explain himself. He wanted to confess his feelings to Jongup. Not widen the gap between them.

Jongup finally asks in an almost inaudible voice, “…Do you really hate me?”

It’s enough to make Daehyun’s heart crumble up at how hurt Jongup sounded and he feels awful.  Daehyun presses his palms against the door, trying his best to reach Jongup’s heart while he struggles to find the right words…but there are no adequate words to describe how Daehyun feels.

“Well, even if you hate me, I don’t hate you,” Jongup whispers mostly to himself.

“I’m sorry I’m annoying, stupid and weird. I guess I’m sorry you have to put up with someone like me-”

“Shut up. You don’t understand…Jongup, I like you. A lot,” Daehyun takes a deep breath and looks straight at the stall where Jongup’s eyes should be, “I like that you’re annoying, stupid and weird because that’s you. I think that it’s cute, funny and adorable.”

“I never asked to be your partner…but I’m so glad that I am because I got to be with you.”

Daehyun doesn’t even cringe at the corny use of words because every one of them was true.

The stall door cracks open a bit and Daehyun can see Jongup hesitantly peek out at him, “So…You don’t hate me?”

Daehyun snorts and throws open the door in order to tackle him in a hug.

“No, I love you.”

Daehyun pulls Jongup a little closer and their lips fit together like two perfectly matched jigsaw pieces.

.

 

Day six: Goodbye Chris Brown

Jongup’s POV

One by one, each couple placed their egg and journal on the teacher’s desk- some egg whole, others cracked or missing.

It was hard saying goodbye to Chris Brown. I just loved him so much because…well, it ultimately brought me closer to Daehyun.

I glance at Daehyun as we walk back to our seats and he winks at me. I automatically avert my gaze in order to hide my blush and Daehyun’s giggling behind my back.

I watch as the teacher places the eggs back in the Styrofoam carton, probably to be tossed out into the trash after class, and I feel a bit sad. There won’t be Chris Brown as an excuse for a date night anymore.  

It’s only been a few minutes since I’ve been sitting in my chair but suddenly a paperball hit’s the side of my head and I turn to glare at the person responsible, which happens to be Daehyun. He motions for me to open the paper, which I do curiously.

It happens to be a crudely drawn caricature of what I guessed to be Daehyun, me and Chris Brown surrounded by little hearts. It’s stupid enough to make me smile, and I guess that’s what Daehyun was going for because he grins too before telling me to flip the paper over.

Be my boyfriend?

My heart literally skips a beat and common sense isn’t enough to stop me from jumping out of my seat and scream at the top of my lungs.

“Yes!”

Daehyun hides his face in his palms due to the scene I created but I could care less because I was Daehyun’s boyfriend and it didn’t matter if everyone knew.


Daejong, Yay~

So hello subcribers you are quite the pleasant surprise. 

*Throws kisses and bashfully runs away*

*Comes back with a poll*