Chapter 2

New Levels

 

Luhan was eating with Baekhyun like he always did in the Wednesday mornings. It was the restaurant, well a café to be exact where they ate after dragging themselves out after noon. This morning was particularly hot; girls had little shorts on and some guys who had the body didn't wear any shirt on, creating some glances from girls and at this moment, guys too. Baekhyun was looking around, drinking americano. “Ah, I had the night of my life,” he said with a light tone, like remembering his moments with dear mother or the love of his life. Luhan raised his eyes from the book and looked at him. “With the doppelgänger of your ex? How's that even comfortable?” The question made Baekhyun laugh like Luhan was an innocent kid who didn't know much about the world. The world was different in Baekhyun's eyes. It was full of sleepless nights, drinks and guys. He had the twinkle in his eyes, the look that made guys – and girls too, but Baekhyun didn't do that anymore – go crazy. Luhan was the wallflower, the innocent and still decent guy. “More like a doppelbanger, my friend,” Baekhyun said with a laughter, Luhan chuckling a little. His humour was great. Luhan wanted to be the same. Who made guys to turn around and be like – “He's totally checking me out.”

 

Baekhyun looked at the guy who was different, he wore a shirt with long sleeves and jeans. He was either cold or shy. His kind of a guy. Luhan took a bite of the croissant. “What can I say? I should talk to him, right?” Luhan shrugged his shoulders, his mouth full. He observed the situation with his deer eyes, looking how Baekhyun waited how the really handsome and dark-skinned guy came closer and he was about the pass the table they were sitting in when Baekhyun raised his hand slightly and telling him to come closer to him. “Hey, if you're lonely we got a spot right here for you.” Baekhyun sounded caring but cold, welcoming but distant. He was the epitome of cool, Luhan thought when the guy stopped walking and hold the bag in his hands tighter. The white shirt looked like someone had dragged him, it looked old. Vintage, Luhan thought. Luhan was sure that this guy wasn't checking Baekhyun. He was different, he was more silent and more careful.

 

The guy had thick lips, brown messy hair. Luhan thought he had just woke up. And he seemed familiar. Or maybe every guy was like him. But he didn't want to admit that. For a moment he wanted to see him as a special person because of his reaction. “No, I'm fine – I have to study, you know, the thing we're supposed to do. I have a summer course.. I took it because I want to keep myself busy, and.. and yeah. Have a nice day.” He stuttered, he had an awkward smile on his face. Baekhyun wanted to see that he was hesitating; should he go or not, Luhan wanted to see that someone was decent enough to resist him. And Jongin hold onto his bag more tighter, pulling it against his body. He wasn't sure what to do. “Come on, one croi-- what was it called?” “Croissant.” “Thank you, Luhan. Yes, eat a croissant with us. It's not much to asked right?” Luhan looked at the guy, feeling sorry for him. Baekhyun was persistent. It was sometimes rude too, he would probably drag guys with him.

 

The attraction of Baekhyun was undefineable, it made them give in and come to him. Jongin shook his head, his smile disappearing. “I need to study, sorry.” And that's how he left. He walked away with heavy but fast steps, leaving Luhan looking after him. A smile was lingering on his face. Luhan wanted to thank him, say he was totally awesome. Baekhyun instead would disagree on that one. “What is that guy thinking? Studying? It's almost July! He's like you, a bookworm,” he scoffed, taking a sip from his americano. “He had the body though. I'd like to tap that.” Luhan rolled his eyes, not going to challenge that one. Baekhyun forgot that guy both of them didn't know about. It was just one moment in his life when he met the guy who had the body but not the personality, not the courage to take the step. Jongin would never do that again, he was scared of people. No one knew that. No one knew him. But Jongin knew everyone else. He had seen those two before couple times from the window, saw them walking on the street with a bottle of water with them. The other had books, the other his phone. That was the moment he had waited. Jongin missed it.

 

Later that day, Baekhyun sat next to Luhan on their couch. There was the loud TV with traveling channels, the smell of smoke and hairspray, empty beer bottles and one drunk guy sleeping on the floor. “Take me out,” Baekhyun whined to Luhan and leaned his chin on Luhan's left shoulder, leaning closer and closer. Luhan could feel him breathing on his neck. He could smell the alcohol he had drunk. “Noo, I want to sleep..” Luhan mumbled turning his head to the other side. But when he backed away, Baekhyun came closer. Luhan heard him chuckle with a low tone, it was almost seducing. Luhan knew it so well. Luhan was like a little toy to Baekhyun once in a while. He was the one help him get over a jackass who wanted when Luhan thought Baekhyun was just like those other jackasses, he helped Baekhyun to get home when he was too drunk to walk and he patted his back when Baekhyun's brother got too excited and said things.. things that hurt Baekhyun. Luhan saw Baekhyun's weak spots but Baekhyun didn't see Luhan's.

 

“Please, I don't wanna go there alone.. I'm happy with you, with people okay?” Baekhyun asked, wrapping arms around Luhan arm trying to sound like a puppy who's lost. The summer evening was coming to an end, the sun was going down behind the shore. Luhan looked out of the window, sighing at the thought of being around people. Luhan knew that Baekhyun acted like that sometimes. When he was vulnerable. “Okay.. but only for a moment. I want to slee--” “Oh my god, you're awesome. Thank you! Let's go.” Baekhyun dragged Luhan up from the couch, out of the door. Luhan wondered what the guy on the floor would think. Where the others were was the first question probably. But he forgot everything when he stepped outside. The world took him with it it stole his mind. The time started to flew so fast, it was going through his fingers.

 

Jongin took a step. He decided to take a step and make a difference. The door seemed like a thing where he wasn't going to get through. His hand went on the door knob and turned it. Oh the feeling was different, it was unusual. It was tingling inside of him. Jongin felt for a moment like he could do anything. When he stepped outside and closed the door behind him the smell of alcohol was left behind. The suffocating atmosphere. The hallway seemed empty and the summer night was coming faster. This night is going to be different. Everything will change. He knew it in his bones. The bag on his shoulders weren't as heavy with books this time, it was light and he ran fingers through his hair, pushing the door open with his left side and stepped outside in to the sun that made everything shine. The youngsters roaming through the streets, enjoying their lives. That was what he was supposed to do. For a moment Jongin felt a smile on his face and it grew to an idiotic grin he didn't want to hide this time. The world was open for him.

 

 


I'm really really happy there's been views this much already. ;u; I hope you like this one too!

Have a great day!~