Chapter 2

The One Where Seunghyun Thinks the 13th Step Should be Off a Cliff (or into Youngbae's Bed)

When it got to be around 10 AM and TOP still showed no signs of waking, Youngbae took matters into his own hands. He scooped up Boss and put his favorite chew toy on Seunghyun's stomach. Worked like a charm. The dog really seemed to enjoy having a soft, warm playground for a change. Seunghyun seemed to enjoy it less.

"Oh god, what time is it?"

"Almost 10."

"Oh. That's not bad."

TOP stretched and yawned and stood up to get out of bed before he appeared to remember what had conspired the night before. Youngbae could tell by his face; he was certain he made a similar one when it hit him. But, then again, he had every right to be shocked when he woke up. Because, unlike last night, he was the little spoon and TOP was the very hard, very asleep big (in just about every way, the proverbial devil on Youngbae's shoulder unhelpfully supplied) spoon. The soft feeling he'd felt the evening before turned sharp and feral inside him. (The devil came back to remind Youngbae that this was hardly the first time he'd harbored this particular brand of impure thought, but it had never hit him like a er punch to the gut before.) It took all of his willpower to extricate himself from his hyung's octopus arms and take a cold shower.

Two hours and one gym session later, he felt he'd reigned in his...desires enough to talk to Seunghyun. He was asked to help his hyung conquer a personal demon, not to betray his trust by ing on him while he slept.

"So, judging by the look on your face, you remember showing up here drunk, begging me to save you from the perils of alcoholism?"

A scoff. "I did not beg."

"Be serious, hyung. You still want my help?"

"I don't just want it, I need it. I'm not happy with myself."

It physically pained Youngbae to hear how much Seunghyun's heart hurt. He resolved right then to put his all into his new cause.

"Okay, well, when I sometimes feel like going out with you guys and getting hammered, I work out."

This time, he got a poorly-concealed laugh. "I don't think that's for me, Bae."

"Okay. Hmm, what else? I like to read...play with Boss...practice my dances, also."

"You want me to practice in my free time?! That's worse than working out!"

"You're going to be quite difficult, aren't you?"

"Probably. Sorry. Just my nature."

Even though it was already frustrating him and making his temples throb, Youngbae loved a challenge and remained confident he'd succeed.

"Why don't you go take a shower? I'll cook breakfast and we can go out today."

"Alright. Give me 20 minutes."

Youngbae was equally glad and apprehensive about having the day off. He was glad because it meant he and Seunghyun could spend the day discussing Seunghyun's troubles and maybe finding new interests to alleviate his boredom. He was apprehensive because it was Saturday morning which, as far as Youngbae knew, typically led to Saturday night and all the parties that came with it. He wasn't sure if Jiyong and the maknae were going to set their sights on TOP tonight since they'd probably given the normally temperate Daesung one hell of an all-day hangover.

Flipping the omelettes he'd thrown together quickly, he heard a thud and an expletive coming from the hall before he saw its source stumble through the kitchen doorway. It was Jiyong, looking as bad as it was possible for him to look (which is to say, not bad at all). Once upon a time, he would have fretted and fussed all over Jiyong, made sure he ate and kept hydrated. However, lately, if Youngbae tried to nurse every hangover that hit their dorm, he'd scarcely have time to take care of himself. He felt bad, but Ji was a big boy and could survive without his mother henning.

"Youngbae hyung?"

"Yes, Jiyong?"

"Is one of those for me?"

Youngbae didn't even spare him a glance. He knew if he did, he'd see puppy dog eyes and a cute, jutting lower lip and he'd make him an omelette too. But he already got a late start today and he had plans, damn it.

"Sorry, it's for Seunghyun hyung."

"I knew those were his white snakeskin loafers out there. Maknae tried to convince me he'd had them sent here as a present for me. Scary thing is, I think he really believed he did buy them."

Despite himself, Youngbae laughed. Their drunken antics were obnoxious more often than not but, at times, they could be so cute.

"No, he came over last night. Crashed here."

"But I didn't see him when I came in...? I couldn't have been drunk enough to block out the sight of a human being in our living room."

"Ah, no, he stayed with me in my room. He was drunk and needed somebody to take care of him."

"Why don't you take care of me when I'm drunk, too?"

"Because he's also got a day job," Seunghyun boomed from the doorway. He'd showered and found his old stash of emergency clothing he left here. Youngbae wished he had his phone nearby to take a picture of the normally high fashion TOP dressed in an old baggy hoodie and jeans. He looked...well, like a beginner apprentice of Youngbae's, actually, so the style kind of worked.

"Don't you start! Why didn't you call me, hyung? You could've come out with us."

"I, uh, kind of just felt like staying in."

"But you came over here?"

"Yeah, I got lonely."

Youngbae felt bad for TOP being put on the spot so early (for him) in the morning about something so personal. Luckily, the sheepish smile he gave Jiyong seemed to make his lie of omission glide under the younger man's radar. Ji had already moved on to discussing the best way to make Daesung more awake and less hungover so he would cook for him. Crisis averted for the moment. Bae was well aware it was only a matter of time before tonight's social calendar would be the hot topic and he wondered how his hyung would handle such a situation.

----------

Luckily, Youngbae and Seunghyun were able to escape lazing around the house with the three hungover stooges after breakfast by claiming they were going to do some yoga. Well, Seunghyun thought it was just an excuse to get out of the house. Bae could tell by his dimply smirk immediately after locking the dorm door shut behind him. He would have to learn not to underestimate a Youngbae on a mission.

Youngbae evaded his demands (and poky fingers) to tell him where they were really going until they made it to his rarely used car. He had taken to driving it more since he had been so thoroughly embarrassed about it by his bandmates on national TV. He found driving to be quite a relaxing experience, much to his surprise.

After they were both seated and buckled (and the doors were locked), Youngbae caved.

"We're really going to do yoga."

"But I'm a guy."

Youngbae shot him a dirty look out of the corner of his eye as he kept most of his focus on the road.

"No offense. Uh, I mean. I can't even dance normally. How can you possibly expect me to twist myself into poses named after wild animals?"

"A dog is hardly a wild animal but that's beside the point. It's more about stretching than twisting. Look, I promise you won't hate it and I'm not expecting you to be perfect."

Youngbae really did think yoga would do some good for his hyung. He so rarely physically relaxed completely. He couldn't imagine how hectic his mind must have been. The stretches yoga forced his body to comply with always left his muscles feeling loose and worn-out after in such a pleasant way. They had the same effect on his mind. The immediate and natural relaxation was incredible.

His first hypothesis was, hopefully, about to be tested. Would physical exertion prevent Seunghyun from having the bored energy to crave booze and clubs? He still wasn't 100% sure Seunghyun wouldn't bolt as soon as they got there. The yoga place was about a block away from a mall. The thought of TOP escaping and Youngbae having to chase down his equally famous friend in a crowded mall on a Saturday really pissed him off and he was determined not to let that happen.

A reluctant sigh. "You really think it'll help?"

"Yes. I actually even think you'll be good at it."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence."

"Anytime, hyung."

Seunghyun turned the radio on loud (to an American Top 40 Hip Hop station, no less), Youngbae presumed, to avoid further conversation and the inevitability of stepping out of his comfort zone. He normally hated such distractions while he drove but this little (mis)adventure in self-help seemed to require compromise from both sides. He felt funny when he realized how little he minded compromising when the person benefitting from his sacrifice was Seunghyun.