Amber Eyes

Torn Between

It is way too bright. Where am I? There are so many noises. Wasn’t I at school? Where is this? I can’t see anything. It’s too bright…I can’t…

“There she is!” A girl with dark brown hair yelled and ran toward her, following her is a twenty-some crowd of students.

I still can’t see. Who is that girl? She sounds familiar. Who is she? It’s too bright…Ellen raised her hand and covered the brightness, trying to regain her sight.

Then she felt something hit her arm. It was something hard and edgy. She opened , trying to say something. She finally got adjusted to the brightness of the hot summer sun, and gained her sight. It was a metal stick that attacked her. I don’t understand. Why are they doing this to me? I don’t understand it at all. What did I do to deserve this? She saw the girl’s face.

It was Choi YoungMin.

It was Choi YoungMin who used to be her best friend back in primary and middle school.

It was Choi YoungMin who loved her the most in her youths.

It was Choi YoungMin who turned her back on her.

It was Choi YoungMin who hurted her the most in her youths

It was Choi YoungMin who she still consider her bestest friend.

“YoungMin-ah…” Ellen’s lips moved, and made a faint sound.

YoungMin stared at her, “You never change, do you?” she smirked.

 “Help me…”That girl smirked. YoungMin smirked. I don’t know her…she is not the girl I used to know…Afraid, Ellen moved backward.

Ellen almost seemed like she was pleading. The other students all laughed out loud, humiliating her.

YoungMin looked straight at her, “Park SaRang…You don’t deserve calling my name like that…YoungMin-ah? As if we are so close or something.”

Her heart shook…It was the cruelest thing Ellen ever heard from YoungMin’s lips. Her eyes are getting wet and slightly blurry.She doesn’t really mean it! YoungMin doesn’t really mean it! Ellen held back her tears and looked back. You are my best friend.

YoungMin laughed at her heartbroken expressions, she said “Why don’t you switch out of this school, tomorrow, and go back to your wonderful Canada.” And turned away from Ellen, about to leave.

Ellen was shocked, but without hesitation, she felt move, “No.”

YoungMin turned around, “What did you say?”

Someone near Ellen gave her a shove, and easily she fell down on her knees. She looked up, a bit in pain both on her knees and on her arm, “I’m not leaving Konkuk University.”

YoungMin gave her a dangerous look and gave the other students a look.

Tree branches, fruits, fries, cans, water…Ellen tried to get on her feet, but one shove from another student simply knocked her down again. Again and again.

“Choi YoungMin!” a man’s voice raised above the hiatus, and Ellen found herself in the warm arms of that man, and against that man’s chest.

The crowd silenced.

Ellen could not tell whom that man is, she must have heard his voice before. Ellen could not see his face. But he is a tall and slender man.

Ellen could hear his heartbeat beating rapidly. His heart pounded quickly, out of the hotness and the running. Is it an illusion, my heart too…is beating quickly?

“This girl, is someone precious.” He simply stated, and picked her up, let her head rest on his shoulder.

The crowd naturally moved out of his way, allowing him to pass through and walk away.

While he is walking away, Ellen opened her eyes and watched the crowd standing silent. Who is he that could have the power to back all of them away?

“You should take care of yourself better.” Ellen heard the voice of the man whispering into her ears.

She turned around. And watched him silently, without words.

 

It was an urge.

A sudden urge.

NichKhun never imagined himself saving someone from that many people.Not anyone. Not even Victoria.

But her.

It was a thing that bothers him. That girl on her knees, being laughed at by everyone around.

Right. It’s just because he doesn’t like to see her on her knees. That’s why. That’s all.

NichKhun turned to look at those beautiful eyes.

It was a beautiful moment.When their eyes locked. He wanted it to last forever. Her eyes are hazel, like the beautiful amber stones.

It was an urge.

Is it really just a sudden urge?

NichKhun felt the butterflies in his stomach. He turned around the corner and whispered, “I never imagine it’s this hard to carry girls.” Distraction. Have to stop thinking about all the good things about her! Stop it, Khun! He thought to himself.

Ellen jumped down from NichKhun’s arms quickly, and fell down.

NichKhun quickly caught her, “What did I tell you just a second ago?!” Why is she trying so hard to be dependent? Even in this state.

Ellen looked down at her shirt that is dirtied by all the things the other students threw at her. She wanted to cry. YoungMin…YoungMin’s harsh voice continued to echo in her mind.

 

              Park SaRang…You don’t deserve calling my name like that…YoungMin-ah? As if we are so close or something.

 

             Why don’t you switch out of this school, tomorrow, and go back to your wonderful Canada.

 

Just thinking back about it...it hurts

She burst into tears, and let it all the sorrows out.

 

Heartbroken, NichKhun reached and embraced her tight in his arms. She must have gone through the bullying more than once before…

She should tell someone. Tell me.

But it does not matter.

She needs someone. She needs me.

 

This girl, she is precious to me too.

 

The name of Im SeulOng rang through NichKhun’s mind for just a split second.

 

But it does not matter.

She is precious to me.