Chapter 1

Be Yourself or Act

 

Chapter 1

 

It was the beginning of the school year in South Korea, and lots of new students were enrolling in different schools.

Sunghee passed the gate of the high school, ignoring the glares of the girls. She was used to it. But she understood them well : they certainly were furious, noticing that they could never be as perfect as her. She felt sorry for them.

She hoped she won't see that blond-haired guy today. He was the only person daring to "ask" her for a date, when he had just arrived in the high school. The others were too intimidated and too afraid of getting chucked to try any approach. Notwithstanding, from a son of a rich, it wasn't really surprising : they all were very confident and thought they could get anything they want in a snap of their fingers. Well, she would be the rule exception.

She didn't have any friends, apart from some people who thought that spending time with her would allow them to get some privilege from her dad or from her. They were wrong too : wasting their saliva in compliments and their money in gifts for Sunghee, but they just didn't know they wouldn't get anything in exchange. Not even a genuine smile from her.

When she arrived at the classroom, the hubbub stopped and all the looks fixed on her. She did as if she hadn't noticed them and went to her usual seat, at the back of the classroom. When the homeroom teacher came in, she wasn't surprised to see the tall blond-haired boy coming in after him. What she was surprised of, was the fact that he came in class the day after the start of the new school year. The teacher spoke :

-Good morning. As you can see, from now on, you're going to have a knew classmate. He asked to do a class change, and asked to be in this one. Introduce yourself, please.

The guy moved a little forward and, clearing his throat, said :

-Hi ! My name is Choi Yungjae, I'm... 17 years old. I like soccer, all kinds of music, making friends – I'm quite sociable – and, right now... I really really like... Shin Sunghee !

The concerned one started on her seat while the other girls turned round to glare at her. All their hopes to marry the handsome young man just got broken from the start of the year.

-Yes ? she said as he was looking at her with a grin.

The teacher coughed and declared, talking to Yungjae :

-Mr. Choi, a seat is free over there, pointing to a desk in front of Sunghee's.

She was going to protest, but the blond-haired boy wouldn't let her the time to.

-Thank you, sir !

He then went and sat on his new seat, not without turning round and calling out to his back neighbor :

-Hullo, you ! I hope we'll get along !

The girl stared at him as if he came from an asylum, and kicked his chair.

-Who do you think you're talking to, huh ? We are not friends, so try not to talk to as if we were... "Fairhair".

-Oh, c'mon ! Don't be like this ! I'm sure that actually, your heart is longing to know me ! he said winking at her.

Sunghee raised her eyebrows, making as if to think, then answered :

-Is that so ? How funny... I must have not been informed about this sudden "longing to know you".

Then the teacher decided to interrupt them :

-Be quiet, please. Young people, settle your differences of opinion at another time than in class. Besides, I'm not finished yet. Mr. Choi is not the only one.

Surprised whispers went through the whole classroom. Despite the lots of freshmen in the schools, there were rarely more than one per classroom. The teacher tapped on his desk to silence them, then  he went on :

-He arrived today. He has just moved to Seoul, and so he doesn't know the city. Be nice to him. Come in, please.

The door slowly slid, and all the students stopped breathing, even Sunghee. She wished the guy wasn't another eccentric like Yungjae, always excited and flirting. She was quite certain that he alone was enough. A whole year bearing him... Just thinking about it, she's getting a headache. She took her attention back on the person who came in, and sized him up from head to toes.

He was tall, probably as tall as Yungjae. He had a brow, disheveled hair and dark brown eyes. People would have thought that they were black, but from the back of the classroom, Sunghee was the only one to notice this shade of color. She had a sharp sight and cared a lot about the eyes of the people she met. According to her, they reflected their true personality.

The young man watched the other students whisper and stare at him, and said :

-Cho Kyuhyun, 17. Nice to meet you.

 

 

----------

 

 

Hehe sorry, it's a short chapter ! >< 

The others will be a little longer :)