Lost and Found

Drowned Whispers

 

The rain drizzled down from the grey skies. Everything seemed dark and gloomy, a monotone type of day. There was a cool breeze and the misty rain saturated its way into Seunghos clothes, making him shiver.

“This is awful” he sighed sadly as he watched from a slight distance away as a young girls’ body was carted away from the river side.

He watched silently until his more professional side made him pull out his pen and notepad and take down some notes.

The body had been discovered at 3:20am by a fisherman who, from a distance had thought that it had been bag that had been dumped, and had gone to remove it only to discover it was actually a deceased female in her early teens. The identification that the girl had in her pocket on her school card said that her name was Jung Chansook and was 13 years old, still only in junior high, which he had already deducted from the navy coloured uniform she had been wearing.

He sighed again and pocketed his small notepad and pen, walking slowly towards his car that was parked nearby. He knew he had a distressed family or parent waiting for news of their missing child, and the news he was going to break to them wouldn’t be easy to deliver. He ran his hands through his hair tiredly, not looking back at the sad scene that lay behind him.

 

                                                                                              ~~~~

“My sister, have you found her?” Jung Byeonghee, Chansooks’ older brother asked, his voice desperate and strained.

Seungho looked at him sadly, knowing that he would not take the news well. Jung Byeonghee, or G.O as everyone else addressed him by, looked exhausted and pale, unshaven and haggard, the stress of his missing sister had been keeping him up at night, and he was clutching at straws, still praying that she would be returned to him, unscathed.

“Mr. Jung, I think you should take a seat” Seugho said firmly, motioning to a cushioned chair. G.O twitched nervously before sitting down, burying his face into his hands.

“She’s not alright, is she? Is she hurt? She’s been hurt hasn’t she?” His words were a jumbled mess, reflecting his state of mind, the strain making him somewhat incoherent. “Please, please, I’m begging you, please tell me that she’ll be able to come home to me. I don’t want to be alone, my sister, Chansook, she’s all I have left. My mother left us when we were young and my father passed away several years ago” his voice was pleading his eyes were filled with unshed tears, desperately wishing against the unavoidable news that no family member ever wanted to hear.

Seugho took a deep breath and looked up at the man pitifully.

“Mr. Jung, today in the early hours of the morning, your younger sister, Jung Chansook, was found in the Nakdong river. I was told that two days ago you issued a missing persons report, and it would have been handled by the police and missing persons department, but now that foul play is suspected, I will be dealing with this case. I am so sorry. I truly am.”

G.O made a strange choking sound and Seungho looked up to see that he had a look of pure agony on his face.

“Someone… someone killed my sister?” his eyes were large and empty, shock taking its toll on his already fragile emotional state.

“It is suspected so” Seungho said calmly, trying his best not to say something that would trigger the other man to have a breakdown. “Mr Jung, please will you assist me? I need information so that no one else is hurt”

G.O was silent for a second, he seemed to be absorbing the news he had just received, his eyes wide and glassy.

“Chansook… the day she went missing, I had to stay in late at work, it was parent teacher interviews, and I had to talk to a few of my students parents about grades and what not… so I asked her to walk home” he stopped for a moment, taking a strangled breath “From her school, it’s only a block or two away from where we live, but I still usually picked her up on the way back from work, it wasn’t the first time I had asked her to walk, so I wasn’t worried, and I had given her the keys so she could get in, and she promised to go straight home, no wandering around. When I got home, she wasn’t there. I wasn’t worried, it was almost 6pm and I had given her a bit of cash before I had left in the morning so she could buy herself some dinner. She was still a terrible cook” he let out a short, brittle laugh which ended almost as soon as it had started. “And I waited. I kept waiting for quite a long time, and she still hadn’t come home, and that’s when I started to get worried. So I decided to try and find her, I went out and walked around, trying to find her, asking around. I kept searching, for hours, but I still couldn’t find her, and then I decided to call the police”

His voice was empty and desolate, like all the life had been from him. Seungho tried to repress a shudder. It was like seeing someone that was brain dead, breathing but not really living.

“Alright Mr Jung. This must be extremely difficult for you. I’m sorry that there isn’t more that I can do for you, but I promise you that I will do everything within my power to find out what happened to your sister and bring the killer to justice” Seungho said calmly, meaning every word he said.

G.O looked up at him with a tortured expression on his face, his eyes wide yet lifeless, almost like he was staring at something or someone that wasn’t there.

“I don’t care. I don’t care about how or why she died, I don’t care if the killer is caught or not. I just want my sister back. Bring my sister back to me” He grabbed a hold of Seunghos’ collar, ramming him against the wall. “Bring her back to me!” He almost shrieked, before falling to the floor in a crumpled heap, weeping violently, his whole body shaking.

Seungho leant down onto his knees besides the hysterical man, placing his hand comfortingly onto his shoulder. G.O had been taking care of Chansook almost like a father would since he was eighteen, Chansook had only been six, and to people who didn’t know, it would seem almost more like father with a daughter then a brother with a sister. Seungho knew all too well that no matter what he said or did, it would probably not comfort G.O from the loss he had suffered. G.O had put in all he had to take care of his younger sister, and now she had been taken from him.

“I’m sorry”

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2nd chapter! I hope you enjoy!

It took mw awhile to write this chapter, I wasn't sure how to write it or what direction to take my story, but I decided on this~

Please tell me what you think and feel free to subscribe!

 

Until next time! ^^