Cruel Yet Kind

Drowned Whispers

 

Detective Yang Seungho was tired. Another stressful and almost uneventful day at the office had tired him out, the constant nagging of his superiors had worn his patience thin and really, all he wanted was to go home and crack open a drink and sit and think for a while until his bad mood cooled off and he was able to talk to people without using short, clipped sentences.

He sighed and leant back in his swivel chair. He knew it wasn’t really anyone’s fault; all in all he had just had a bad week, yet he still had some business to attend to.

He picked up a manila folder up off his desk and stood up before exiting his office calmly, walking towards the interrogation room. He sighed as he reached the door, opening it silently and entering. This was always one of his least favourite parts of his job.

Inside the room was bare and cold looking, the walls where painted an empty looking white and the floor was a simple white laminate which had turned somewhat grey tinged from its time in use.

In the centre of the room was a plain white table, with two padded chairs facing each other from opposite sides.

Already one of the chairs was occupied by a young man, in his early twenties. He seemed to pay no attention to Seungho as he walked across the room and sat down in the chair opposite him.

Seungho opened up the folder and thumbed through the papers in it until he came across the one he was looking for, pulling it out and resting it down onto the table in front of him before looking up at the glazy eyed figure across from him.

“So, you’re Bang Cheolyong, otherwise known as Mir, right?” Seungho said calmly.

Mir looked up at him, finally coming out of his deep train of thought before smiling a small, sad smile. “Yeah, that’s right”

Seungho instantly felt pity for him, the poor guy looked so confused and lost, but he felt like he had to go by the book, no cutting corners in an important questioning, so he began mercilessly “Today at 1:32pm, the body of your now deceased girlfriend, Lee Miyung was found in Nakdong River. It was initially thought it was an accidental death caused by drowning, and from the details I was given by the coroner, the cause of death was indeed asphyxiation, but there were several signs of manual strangulation as well as signs of being held against her will for a period of time. She had a damaged larynx and fractured hyoid, which are clear indications that her death was not accidental, in fact quite the opposite, it would seem that she had been strangled at least into unconsciousness before been thrown into the river, or held underneath the water, as well as the fact that there were fabric fibres stuck between her teeth which would give the impression that she had been gagged. There was also glue residue on her ankles and wrists which means that she would have been tied up with a tape of some sort.”

He paused for a moment and gave Mir time to absorb all that he had said before beginning again. “The last person she had been seen alive with was with a tall, dark haired male who appeared to be in his mid-twenties three nights ago on the evening of the 17th around 7:40pm” He paused again and took a deep breath of air before continuing. “Now, Mir, You’re not a suspect, at least not with the evidence we have- which quite frankly, isn’t very much. The reason you’re here is because we need help. We need to know why anyone would want to kill Miyung, we aren’t sure if this was planned or if it is just some random killing that happened to happen, and Miyung was just at the wrong place at the wrong time, but I for one, don’t want it to happen again, so I’d appreciate it if you were able to help me”

Mir was silent for a few moments before speaking, his voice soft and wavering. Seungho could see that he was battling with his emotions and remained silent, in order not to rush him.

“Miyung was a good girl. She was smart and would never mix with the wrong type of crowd. She didn’t play around when it came to relationships, I know she’s only been in two, she was the type of person who talked kindly to everyone and anyone, but only had a few close friends who she trusted dearly. She was friendly and happy, she was just a normal university student. We’d been dating almost a year and a half now” Mir choked on the last few words, and yet again Seugho felt a flood of pity towards the young man.

“So you know of no one that would want to harm her? No one that held a grudge against her?”

Mir shook his head fiercely. “No! She was well liked and in the time we were dating I’d never even heard her raise her voice, let alone argue with anyone”

Seungho quickly jotted down a few notes on a small notebook before looking up at Mir again. “What about her past relationship? How did that end and how long ago?”

Mirs faced twitched into a sad, half-hearted smile. “She used to date Park Sanghyun. He’s my best friend, and we all just call him Thunder. They dated for two, maybe three years before she decided to split up with him, but it wasn’t a very eventful breakup or anything. This was several years ago, and they were more like high school sweethearts really. Before I asked her out, I asked Thunder if he still had feelings for her, and he said he didn’t, so I guess there were no feelings left between them other than friendship”

Seungho quickly finished writing the last of his notes before tapping the end of his pen on his bottom lip. He could feel Mir looking at him.

“I think I’d like to speak to Thunder, if that would be possible”

Mir nodded and rummaged in his pocket for a moment, before drawing out a sleek touch screen mobile phone and after only a few seconds he slid it across the table to Seungho, who picked it up and lifted it to his ear.

Seungho listened to the dial sound and then after only 4 rings there was a click from the other end and a cheerful voice answered him.

“Hey, Mir, what’s up?” he heard Thunder from the other end, and Seungho realized that the caller ID that Thunder would have seen would have been that of Mir’s.

He cleared his throat slightly before beginning.

“This is Detective Yang Seungho. I currently have Bang Cheolyong at the station with me, and I was wondering if you would be able to come up and have a word with me”

It was a request, but he realized that it ended up sounding more like an order, and he regretted not being more tactful.

There was silence from the other end, before he finally heard Thunder take a deep breath and answer. “Did something happen to Mir? Is he alright?”

“He is quite alright, I just want to have a quick word with you” Seungho looked across the table at the now pale Mir and wondered if ‘quite alright’ had been the right words to use.

There was another pause before Thunder answered. “Sure. I’ll be right there”

“Alright. I suppose we’ll see each other soon then” Seungho said calmly, before ending the call and sliding the phone back over to Mir, who was staring down at his lap silently, his eyes glazed over. Seungho sighed sadly. He was probably in shock.

“Thunder is coming now” he said quietly to Mir, who jumped slightly before looking up.

“Okay” Mir said softly, his voice slightly croaky.

Seungho stared at the young man for a moment.

“I’m sorry”

Mir looked up, his expression somewhat startled, confusion in his sad eyes.

“For what?”

“For your loss”

After that, they both sat in silence; the sadness that Mir seemed to emit wrapping its way into Seunghos’ heart.

 

                                                                                          ~~~~

“So, this is about Miyung?” Thunder said slowly, as if trying to confirm the fact himself.

“Yes” Seungho replied.

“…Why?”

“She was found murdered earlier today”

There was a sudden silence that made even Seungho uncomfortable, and he decided to wait for Thunder to speak first.

“Oh.”

He didn’t seem to be able to say anything else, the shock too great for him to form any words. Seungho examined Thunders stunned expression carefully before he spoke again.

“The reason I called you here is because I want to know if you know anything” Seungho said firmly, and Thunders expression cleared instantly.

“I don’t think I can help you. I used to date her, but that was a while ago, and after our relationship ended, we were nothing but friends. I wouldn’t be able to tell you anything that Mir wouldn’t already know about”

Seungho nodded seriously. “So you can think of nothing at all?”

“No, I’m sorry” Thunders expression suddenly darkened. “But I hope that the killer can experience the same kind of suffering that Miyung had to” There was a moment of silence before his expression cleared of anger and he suddenly seemed old and sad.

“Good luck detective, I hope the killer will be caught, and punished” He sounded tired and defeated, and Seungho could only nod.

“I’m sorry for having to bother you like this. You should probably take Mir home. Will you be able to manage?”

Thunder nodded. “Yeah. It’ll be fine”

Seungo nodded and stood up. “Alright then”

He allowed Thunder to pass in front of him and leave the room, before closing the door behind him and turning and walking to the front of the police station where Mir had been sitting for the past ten minutes, still in a state of shock, waiting for Thunder.

Thunder carefully coaxed Mir to stand, before helping him towards the exit.

“Thank you again” Seungho called. Thunder turned briefly and gave a curt nod in his direction, but Mir stopped altogether and turned all the way around, staring at the detective who was standing in the soft glowing of the fluorescent light of the foyer.

Seungho was slightly shocked at how clear the young man’s expression had become, like a drunk coming out of an intoxicated stupor.

“See you again” Mir said calmly, a note of finality to his words.

They would meet again, Seungho was sure of it.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~

Hey, First chapter here, I hope that it's OK! :/

Please tell me what you think!

Ahh~~ I'm still not sure about this chapter!

Feel free to comment and subscribe!

 

byee~!