High Cut

(Sequel) High Cut

 

 

To be honest, Jung Yunho was not one to be thrilled by photo shoots. After all he’d been the subject of many over his ten years as an idol. Over time photo shoots were no longer special; they lost their spark and became just another part of his schedule.

 

But today was another story; he’d been selected as the cover model of High Cut magazine’s February issue. Yet this is not what thrills him, instead it’s the possibility of possibly seeing his neighbor and current crush, Song Yoobin.

 

After all she is High Cut’s Fashion Director, and though she no longer assists with styling or wardrobe directly, she usually makes an exception when it comes to cover shoots and specific key spreads.

 

Yunho finds this to be true, later that morning, when he arrives at High Cut’s photography studio. He spots the woman in question bustling about behind the scenes. He observes her reviewing the wardrobe selections and discussing the styling concept with other staff members.

 

After a while Yunho is introduced by his manager to the photographer and Yoobin is standing there by the man’s side. The photographer in his mid-twenties addresses her as ‘Director Song’ when he introduces her to Yunho and his manager. Yoobin greets him professionally, bowing and allowing the photographer to do most of the talking.

 

She doesn’t say a word to him while the photographer speaks, and doesn’t look at him either. She shows nothing that could indicate that they know each other outside of the photo shoot, that they know each other more personally; that less than a week ago she’d invited him over for dinner and he’d kissed her after a glass of wine.

 

Yunho is thrown off by her, he has to admit. Partially, because she’s being so stone-cold-serious and partially because he’s getting the urge to kiss her again (but that would be highly unprofessional). He shakes it off, focusing on what the photographer is saying, and eventually is swept along to wardrobe where he’s given two outfits for the shoot. One, a classic black suit, and the other, a casual yet stylish outfit.

 

After rushing into the suit, he’s taken over to a stylist who quickly styles his hair and applies a tiny bit of makeup, and then he’s ushered to the set where the photographer takes only a few photos.

 

Yunho is a little lost in his own mind, watching Yoobin more than actually focusing on the photographer. The next thing he knows he’s changing into the second wardrobe piece and having his bangs swept into his eyes just a tiny bit.

But, before being taken back to the set he gets stopped by none other than the petite little woman who is occupying his thoughts.

 

Yoobin peers at him, looking over his clothes with a hand on her chin in thought. She shakes her head, and tells him to take off the sweater he’d been given. He quickly obeys, and she scurries off with the navy blue cardigan tucked under her arm. When she reappears, Yoobin helps into a different jacket.

 

I think this one would look better on you.” She comments, as he slips his arms into the sleeves and she pulls it up into place over his shoulders. Yunho turns around and she smoothes down the front of the pale green utility jacket, peering at him. “Defiantly, looks much better.”

 

In that moment standing there in the dressing room, just the two of them, the world stops. For a short while all the world is still as Yunho smiles, hands clutching hers, which are placed against his chest, and he quietly thanks her.

Yunho is defiantly handsome, Yoobin notes on much closer inspection, not that she wasn’t already aware of this, it was just she’d never realized to what magnitude. She’d always heard people talking about him though, even before they’d become neighbors. After all he is U-Know, leader of DBSK. People are always talking about him.

 

Unbeknownst to the Fashion Director, Yunho is also doing a lot of thinking of his own, admiring her as she’s lost in her own thoughts. She looks so pretty in her candy-apple pumps, fitted skinny jeans, plain white top, and over sized red blazer. The casual look suits her the most, he decides, because she makes even casual wear seem dressy.

 

Ask her out for lunch. He suddenly thinks, and he wonders if that’s a good idea. It wouldn’t look very professional, he realizes, but at the same time they know each other outside of work, so it wouldn’t be incriminating to simply ask her out for a bite to eat. Right?

 

But, his mind is made up for him, as the photographer’s assistant opens the door to the dressing room and the two of them snap out of their reverie. Yoobin quickly returns to smoothing out his jacket— as to not appear suspicious— as Yunho stands there awkwardly, not knowing what to do with himself.

 

Jung-ssi, time for the next session.” The young woman calls, peering around the door at the two of them. With a wave of her hand, she motions for him to hurry along and Yunho hurries off to the set while Yoobin leaves to help some of the other stylists with the extras.

 

The next few photos taken are snaps of Yunho with extras in the background and a few close ups of his face. Before he knows it, the photo shoot is over and he’s back in the dressing room, changing into his skinny jeans and black sweater. Everyone is bustling around, as he pulls back the curtain and slides into his leather jacket. He watches the stylists and coordinators muddle about in a rush, gathering props and wardrobe pieces, all of which are to be taken back to their rightful place.

 

Amongst the chaos he spots Yoobin, looking through the photos with the photographer and his assistant. Occasionally one of her subordinates would come up to her, in seek of guidance, to which she would direct them and they would follow the order she gave. After a while, she began to check clothing rack which was to be returned to wardrobe, making sure all the pieces were present.

 

This is his chance, Yunho realizes, as he watches her sent the clothing rack off with two staff members and then turns her attention toward the accessory table and watches the stylists pack the jewelry and props away. Without a moments delay, he quickly strides over to where the Fashion Director is standing, and calls for her.

 

Song-ssi, a word?”

 

Yoobin turns toward him with a raise of her eyebrow, arms crossed over chest. “Deh, Jung-ssi?”

 

The staff around them all freeze for a moment, wondering what Jung Yunho of all people wanted with their boss. Yoobin leads them off to the side of the set, away from the prying eyes, and gives him a look of question.

 

Yunho has the most handsome grin on his face as he speaks to her, politely asking her if she had free time to join him for a late lunch. She’s surprised by this, since the last time they’d seen each other he’d kissed her, and things had gotten a bit awkward— on her part— from then on.

 

Today?”

 

Jung Yunho nods, watching her hopefully as she debates with herself. She really shouldn’t, someone could see them, they would start a rumor, and yet she can’t bring herself to say no to that look on his face. Yoobin thinks over her schedule— she has to look over the selections their February Favorites article and then she has a short meeting with her supervisor, but aside from that is free as far as she knows.

 

I have a few tasks left over yet today,” she begins and can practically see the frown beginning to twitch across the Hallyu idol’s face, “but, I’m free afterwards.”

Yunho’s grin grows even more— if even possible— and he nods, “What time is good for you?”

 

 

 


 

 

Two hours later, at approximately 2:30 in the afternoon, Yoobin finds herself climbing into Jung Yunho’s Audi A4. Beside her, Yunho smiles as she secures her seatbelt, watching her glance around cautiously in search of any bystanders. It could be troublesome for them to get caught together. After all, Yunho is a super star and she’s just a magazine Fashion Director, what would they say if they were seen together?

 

Relax.” Yunho chuckles, as the two of them pull out onto the road, toward an unknown destination.

 

Where are we going?”

 

Yunho isn’t exactly sure. He hadn’t completely thought this through; he’d asked her on impulse. He felt if he didn’t it would be a long time before they ran into each other again, despite being neighbors. Thinking on the fly, Yunho scanned his mind for a quiet and private place for the two of them to enjoy lunch together.

 

I know just the place.” He offered with a grin and focused on the road.

 

Yoobin had to admit she was incredibly nervous, not of being with Yunho, but rather being caught with him. Couldn’t he get in trouble? She fidgeted in her seat, crossing her legs and fiddling anxiously with the charm on her cell phone. She really didn’t want to get him in any trouble with his label.

 

From the radio, the quiet droning of a Busker Busker song was pleasantly filling the silence, as Yunho drove northwest through Gangnam-gu. Yunho focuses on the road and Yoobin watches the scenery pass her by as they drive through Apgujeong-dong. She figures he’ll pull over at some fancy restaurant in the famous ‘luxury’ district— after all he is a wealthy idol— but she’s pleasantly surprised as they hop onto the ’88 and cross over the Hannam bridge.

 

Where are we going?” she questions, turning away from the window and looking at him. Yunho gives her his trademark smile, as they turn onto the ’70, “I know a great little place in Yongsan.”

 

Yoobin returns to looking out the window as they whiz through district after district over the interstate. Thanks to the time of day there’s little traffic— a rarity, but something they’re both grateful for.

 

It’s private and cozy; I think you’ll like it.” Despite the distance— considering them generally residing in Gangnam— Yunho doesn’t mind the drive. It’s the perfect place to take her, and she for sure will enjoy it over the pricey restaurants in their district; where people will be watching them.

 

After driving for several minutes Yunho pulls off into a less crowded area, a compact alleyway that is mostly empty aside from a few pedestrians. Either side of the street is lined with tiny cafes and restaurants, tucked away from the main road and mostly-hidden from the rest of the bustling city.

 

He parks the car along the side of a brick building, but before exiting the car he reaches over across Yoobin’s lap to open the glove compartment and takes out a black cotton anti-dust respirator mask and a black military cap. Yunho puts on the two items before he steps out onto the street, glancing around cautiously as he helps Yoobin out of the car and leads her into the building a few feet away.

 

They make it into the establishment smoothly, without being recognized. Yoobin is relieved to find only two booths are occupied, once they make it inside. The first, an elderly couple, seated towards the entrance. The second, a booth next to the windows, occupied by two young men, both sporting Yongsan University jackets and typing away on their laptops as they wait for their food.

 

Yunho picks out a booth in the back of the cozy little restaurant, away from the other patrons, and pulls out two menus from the where they’re tucked away against the wall. While he does, Yoobin busies herself with taking two sets of chopsticks and two spoons out of the utensil drawer built into the side of the table.

 

While they look over the menu, Yunho points out the things he likes best from that particular venue, after not to long they press the table-bell and the waitress— a middle aged ahjumma, probably in her mid forties—comes to take their order. Yunho decides on gamjatang, and a side of kimchi fried rice. Because it’s still cold in Korea, despite it already being mid February. In the end, Yoobin chooses Bibimbap and a small kimchi jigae. They order an appetizer of kimbap (because Yunho’s appetite has become more and more like Changmin’s over the years, and now he’s used to eating huge meals and his stomach is growling), and the ahjumma smiles kindly, taking the order back to the kitchen and telling them their kimbap would be out soon.

 

As promised, she returns in less than five minutes with their appetizers and beverages (Yunho’s iced tea and Yoobin’s lemon-water). Over kimbap, the two of them talk about work. Yunho about the promotion of Humanoids and Yoobin about the most recent issue of High Cut. He tells her about concerts, and talk shows, and radio shows, while she tells him of photo shoots, and fashion week, and supervising.

 

Yoobin thinks, as their meals come out, that Yunho must be an exhausted man—what with so many schedules and keeping up appearances and having to keep himself in check at all times, as not to fall out of line in view of the public eye. She thinks Yunho must be so tired, having to fit into the mold of the perfect Hallyu Idol.

 

Ironically, Yunho thinks something similar. Yoobin must be exhausted. Being in charge of such a vast amount of employees, making sure that everything in the Fashion Department is in order, worrying about each issue, having to attend all kinds of shows and meetings and galas just to keep up with the ever-changing trends. Yunho thinks that her job is as demanding as his.

 

For a while the two of them just eat. Him picking through his gamjatang for meat (because he’s a growing man and men like meat. LIKE A MAN ), and Yoobin mixing up her Bibimbap, adding in a bit of the spicy paste (because you don’t eat Bibimbap without the spicy paste, you just don’t).

 

Yoobin-ssi.”

 

With a spoonful of Bibimbap, the woman in question looks up at her neighbor, her eyebrow raised in silent reply, Yes? Yunho places his chopsticks down to talk, and Yoobin follows suit. “Deh?”

 

I don’t mean to ruin the mood,” he begins— rubbing the back of his head with an awkward smile on his lips— “I just wanted to….. Ask you about the last time we saw each other.” Yunho finishes cautiously.

 

Yoobin’s cheeks flush red and she looks down at her steaming bowl of food— suddenly the mixture inside is a lot more interesting than looking at the handsome idol in front of her. “W-what about it?”

 

He pauses, hoping for the best as he reaches out for her hand, careful not to knock over their meals. The fashion director watches his long fingers interlace with her own. Yunho inhales, eyes closing, and lets the nervousness seep out of him with an exhale through his nose. “I was wondering if this is going to go anywhere between us.”

 

There’s a tiny gasp from the woman across from him, who looks him in the eye for any trance of a joke. But, they’ve lived across from each other for almost two years now, and they socialized together, and they’d kissed. So, the only thing she sees reflecting in those brown irises is hope.

 

You mean like…. dating?” she questions, looking around to make sure no one happened to eavesdropping—but the restaurant is the same as before, with just the elderly couple and the college students enjoying their meals.

 

Deh…” Yunho replies; thumbs brushing back and forth over her hands as he holds them in his own. He’s praying she’ll say yes, but what little hope he has is diminishing by the second as he watches her glance around worriedly.

 

Yoobin inhales shakily, squeezing his hand, “Yunho-ssi… I… I’m not sure.”

 

Yunho’s heart falls to the pit of his stomach and he tries to fight his frown. “I see…” he moves to let go of her hands, but she keeps her fingers locked with his.

 

Not because I don’t like you.” She clarifies, noticing his crestfallen look. “Because I do. I like you a lot.” Yoobin assures, her ankles locking around his affectionately under the table.

 

Hope soars in him for a brief moment until everything comes crashing back down again.

 

I just... wonder if it’s okay? I mean, you won’t get in trouble, will you? I always hear about idol dating bans.”

 

Of course it would be about that. He thinks, shaking his head. Yunho moves to the other side of the booth, putting an arm around her. “There are a certain number of years in an artist’s contract following their debut where they aren’t allowed to date. The dating ban was lifted on Changmin and I years ago.”

 

Yoobin nods, leaning her head against his shoulder. But, of course that wouldn’t be the end of it.

 

What about your fans? They’ll be angry.”

 

Yunho closes his eyes, sighing and leaning his cheek on the top of her head. “Probably. But, some of them may be supportive. After all I’m already twenty-seven years old. I have to settle down one day.”

 

The both of the can definitely agree on that, as Yunho pulls her closer into his side, and she curls closer into him. “I just don’t want it to affect your career, Yunho-ssi.” She mumbles against his shirt, closing her eyes.

 

He gives a small chuckle, “Don’t worry about things like that. I like you, that’s all that matters. Maybe the backlash is going to be harsh, but we’ll have expect that if you agree to be my girlfriend.”

 

Jung Yunho’s girlfriend. Yoobin looks up at him warily, but nods all the same. Yunho doesn’t miss the skeptical look on her face, and rubs her back reassuringly.

 

But, until we become more serious, maybe we should keep it between the two of us.” He suggests, hoping that may soothe her fears, “Until you’re ready.”

 

After thinking for a moment, Yoobin nods in agreement. “Okay.”

 

Okay?”

 

The fashion director sits up, pulling away from the Hallyu idol in order to angle her body towards him, looking him dead in the eye. Yunho looks worried, he isn’t sure of what she means.

 

I’m saying I’ll be your girlfriend, pabo.” They laugh.

 

And, in that moment there isn't anything more in the world he'd rather hear.