CHAPTER 9

Moments of Love

A breeze of wind wake Park Chorong from her deep sleep. She opens her eyes and found herself on an empty bright room. So she slowly rises up and walks to see if there’s anyone in there. Chorong seemed familiar to the place and after few seconds of searching she found out that she’s on their house. However, a sound of a baby crying caught her attention. She followed the voice and saw a beautiful baby on the crib. The baby is wearing pink clothes so she assumed that she’s a girl.  Slowly, she walks towards her uncertain of what she has to do, but as she looks at her she can slowly feel their connection. So Chorong reaches and carried the baby while swinging her lightly in her arms. With just few minutes the baby stopped crying and is peacefully sleeping in her arms like she belongs to her. But then suddenly a bright light struck on her eyes making her wake up again!

            Chorong opens her eyes and as she looks around she can now see a clearer picture around her. She found herself on her room in their house in Cheongdamdong. With a thought that she’s still on a dream again she sits up to check around her room but her sudden move wakes her step-mother who is sleeping on the side of the bed.

            Mrs. Kim was obviously surprise and happy at the same time when she meets her step daughter’s eyes. Chorong on the other hand doesn’t seem annoyed and actually felt quite touch seeing her there but those feelings are still a bit strange to her.

            “Oh, you’re finally awake. I’m sure your Dad will be happy” She said as she reaches for Chorong’s hand.

            But then Chorong is just quiet and just stared at her hands. When Mrs. Kim realizes it she took it back and composes herself. “I’m sorry, I got... Anyway, your father just went out a moment ago. I’m sure he’s on his way back. Do you need anything? Are you hungry?”

            She lay back on her bed and takes a deep breath. “Just tired.”

            Her step mother knows this kind of response from her so she decided to just keep quiet, to give her a space and leave, but then she did not expect when Chorong called her. “Mrs. Kim.”

            She turns around still surprise to hear her name coming from her. “W-what is it?”

            “Where are you going?” A bit uneasy, Chorong asked without even looking at her.

            Her question caught her off guard, again. “Ah…I…I thought…”

            Chorong can already read the answer from her face so she cuts her sentence. She doesn’t understand why but she chose to follow what’s in her heart.  “No, y-you don’t have to…you can stay here.” She said it coldly but Mrs. Kim is already happy and pleased when she heard those words from her as Chorong never talked on this kind of way before.

            The atmosphere is quiet until finally Mr. Park came in. Just like the expression of Mrs. Kim, he is also surprise and happy. With no more words he goes towards Chorong and gave her a hug with a feeling of relief that she’s back with them again. “Chorong-ah…Don’t ever make Appa so worry again.” Tears fall from his eyes as he expressed himself.

            “Appa, I’m sorry.”

            “Are you sure you’re okay now? Honey, please call the Doctor.” So Mrs. Kim left the room and calls her Doctor. While waiting Chorong’s father did not leave her hand and just stayed by her side. “From now on you’ll stay with us again. I’m sorry if I treated you badly. I cannot afford to lose you.”

            “Stay…with you again?” She asked surprised. Though she really wanted to stay with her father but this time she’s not ready to leave Sangok-ri yet. They weren’t able to continue their conversation because Mrs. Kim came in together with Dr. Lee to check on her.

            “You look good now but you still need to rest.” Dr. Lee said after his assessment on her.

            “How about my attack? Was it serious? How long have I been sleeping?” Chorong asked.

            “You were asleep for two days.” Her father answered.

            Then the doctor continues. “You’re attack was because of over exhaustion.”

            “Was it serious?” She asked again as she did not get the answer she wanted. The Dr. pause like he’s taking courage to talk and she can already tell the answers from his gestures. “I know… it’s quite serious, right?”

            “We cannot say that yet until we run some tests again.”

            “Just say it!! Appa, just tell me! You already know about it! I’ve been like this since I was young! I’m already used to it anyway.”

            Mr. Park looked at their Doctor and nodded giving him a signal to reveal the truth to his daughter. “Your heart…your heart is not in good state. You need to undergo series of medications and…surgeries.”

            The disgusting medicines and the excruciating pain after the surgery. Chorong is not surprise to hear it, she knows she will come to this point. Again.  Though her body is partly numb to all of these but not her heart and mind.

            “How long will I live if I will not take it?”

            “Chorong-ah!” Her father said practically shouting. “What are you talking about?”

            “Appa, I‘m going to die anyway! I’m already tired to all of these! I will not take it!” Chorong said as she already made her decision firm.

            Everyone became silent after her outburst. The words that slipped from her lips are the words that they are all afraid to happen.

            However, the person outside her room who just arrived from Sangok-ri got surprised of all he heard. The plastic bag full of apples on his hands slipped making a distinct noise from the silent room inside. So the people inside opens the door.

            “Nam Woohyun-ssi.” Mr. Park said as he opened the door.

            The name quickly has her attention and as she moves her gaze to him. She saw his pale face and wide eyes looking straight at her. Woohyun was left frozen and speechless on his place as there are no words that are coming to his brain. So when the Doctor saw him he walks towards to assess him but then Chorong interrupted telling them to leave the two of them alone.

 

**************

            Woohyun is standing at the bedside looking down quiet. So Chorong has to take the first step again.

            “What’s with that reaction? You already knew about this.”

            His face did not change but instead he turned to her with an unusual gaze. “How are you?” Unlike before his tone this time has more anguish than concern.

            Chorong forced a smile. “I’m good! See! I’m still alive! Haha!” She teased, but he did not show any reaction to it. So she just asked him back. “How about you? How are you, Nam Woohyun?”

            For the first time, Woohyun doesn’t know what to answer to this simple question. It became his turn now to feel that it is too complex for him. But then he still gives an honest answer to her. “I don’t feel good.”

            With his serious answer Chorong expressed her honest thought as well. “I know…this is difficult but please…please don’t act this way. I want you to be just like yourself even after finding about this.”

            “Woohyun-ah, you already knew about it but why are you still acting this strange? Why do you feel this way?” He asked himself confused of his own feelings. It isn’t only about confessing but much more. Things start running through his mind and he’s already in a deep thought when Chorong has to knock his head to wake him up.

            “Yah! Are you even listening?” She pouted her lips upset of him not listening to her words. So the kind Woohyun quickly apologize and composes himself.

 

            Then they started another conversation as he acted like what she wanted him to be, the same way he was before. But behind his mind there is still something that is bothering him.

 

            Throughout their conversation it is mostly Chorong who asks questions. Though Woohyun put up an act she can clearly see in his eyes that he is troubled. Despite of it, Chorong goes with the flow and did not pose anything about his feelings as she is also quite scared to know the truth. Instead, she asked more about the things in Sangok-ri. “How’s grandpa and grandma? Did we win the competition? How’s school?”

            Woohyun chuckles and also got excited to bring her the updates. “Grandpa and grandma are still worried and so they always pray for your health. I’m sure they’ll be happy to know that you’re okay now.” Finally he let out a smile to her which gave Chorong shivers on her spine. Without a fail, his smile would always has an effect on her.

            “About the competition….our class did not make it but we won the second prize so it wasn’t bad at all. And school is still the same.”

            “Is it okay with them that you’re here?”

            “They actually sent me. Believe it or not I think everyone is curious and also concerned about you.”

            “Yah! Stop lying! So…you mean you just went here because they told you so?” She asked abruptly that even her wanted to take it back. But Woohyun did not answer and so she thought that he did not hear it. Thus she asks a different one. “How are Eunji and---“ But only to get cuts off.

            “No, I really came here see you. It’s my own decision because I’m really worried.” He is looking deeply in her eyes as he said it very sincerely. Chorong felt his earnestness but also the pain in his words. Tears even started filling in her eyes as she hold it back.

            “I’m not used to this kind of Woohyun. I told you not to be like this.” She reminded him firmly but Woohyun doesn’t seem to notice her gesture.

            The nurse came in the room cutting their conversation and told Woohyun that the patient needs to take a rest. Hence, he said his goodbye and left.

 


 

            However, Woohyun is still bothered. When he’s already alone it all started to sink on him. Chorong, the woman he dearly love, is seriously sick and her condition is slowly taking every second of her time. As his thoughts are in deep trance he did not realize that his pace is becoming bigger until he’s already panting because of running.  He feels inside him that he has to do something but is always clueless of it. He did a prayer walk to search for an answer until it’s already late night.

            Since his mind and body are already tired he just decided to head back to the small hotel he rented a few blocks away from the hospital. While on his way a streamer across the street caught his eyes. A verse that is the answer to his questions. After reading it, he runs fast back to the hospital, faster than he ever did in his entire life. Fortunately, when he walks in Chorong is still awake.

            “Woohyun-ah?” She asked confuse and surprise to see him there again.

            He is out of breath and is sweating hard but then he straighten up himself and speaks his purpose. “Chorong-ssi, please make a promise to me.”

            “Promise? What is it?”

 

            “Please fight and don’t give up. And…and when you get better please go back to Sangok-ri. It doesn’t matter how long it is. I’ll wait. Just promise me that you’ll go back, alive.”

 

            Chorong is staring at him as he waited for her answer. Then again his eyes that are full of emotions and his tone that is so genuine made her easily say yes.

 


A/N: YONG! Here's my September update! Whatcha think? Thank you for waiting, commenting and loving my story. For HoJi fans, anyone? There will be interaction on the next chapter. Is it good or bad? Cannot say yet. WooRong fans, anyone? Please wait patiently until they meet again...

Bye~God bless!