Jealousy

My Sister's Love

 

- Flashback- 

"Unnie…" Ga Eul was crying on the floor, once again the boys had pushed her while they played and her knee showed a small wound, that in the eyes of the child was much more serious. "Unnie…" the crying became heavier having received no reply from her older sister, "waaah…"

 

"Ga Eul!" a taller figure than her came running, although it didn't look like a girl, wearing short hair and boy clothes, she was Ga Eul's older sister, Jan Di. "What happened?" They were a year apart in age. "Who did this to you?"

 

Despite being almost the same age, Ga Eul always needed Jan Di, she was weaker than her and she would get frightened easily. That's why Jan Di was always protecting her. It had always been like this, since they were girls, the two were always together and they always helped each other, Ga Eul depended more on Jan Di than their mother, if she was afraid, she slept beside her, and if she didn't understand something she would ask her older sister. 

 

"Yah! Ga Eul!" Jan Di shouted at her sister, again she was being bullied by a group of boys…couldn't she defend herself? The group of boys dispersed leaving Ga Eul alone, who put a face of relief when she saw her sister approaching with a face of anger.

 

"Jan Di!" she threw herself into her arms, since she started elementary school this would often happen to her, the guys would take her to buy things and they always bothered her. "I'm sorry… it's just that they don't listen to me." 

 

"Next year I'm not going to be here to take care of you… you have to learn how to do it yourself," she said to her younger sister. "Come on, let's go see Ji Hoo." 

 

-Flashback Ends- 

 

"I remember when we were little, my sister was the most important thing, she had always been a little shy, defenseless and the guys wouldn't take advantage of her because of her friendly nature. In those days we were the best of friends and I know precisely well the moment that all changed. It may sound like an excuse but i think it was all her fault, she doesn't have to be so sweet and nice with everyone, can't she control herself? doesn't she notice the damage she's causing me."

 

-Flashback-

 

"What is that noise?" Jan Di was walking towards her class when the sound of a violin came to her attention, at the beginning it was simple curiosity, but then the notes were brew into her head and heart, they were a little sad to hear... but very beautiful. "Ji Hoo!" she silently exclaimed when she saw her friend in that way.

 

Her friend always had a thin build and a rather retracted personality, sometimes the guys picked on him and Jan Di would defend him, but to see him like this… so adult… when had her friend grown up so much? His hands were big and his fingers long... even his face looked mature, he was very attractive, why hadn't she noticed it before?

 

"Jan Di…" he called her with an angelic smile. "I didn't know you were listening," he smiled leaving the violin aside and approaching her.

 

"Yes…it was beautiful," she said with her heart beating rapidly, she was a bit drowned... now she felt small and shy at his side.

 

"I wrote it for someone special," he revealed and his smile widened when he saw the face of surprise on his friend.

 

"For who?" she asked hurriedly, she really wanted to know, her heart asked for the answer.

 

"For the girl that I like," he confessed, she was his best friend... the person who would understand him better than anyone else in this world.

 

"What?" she said stuttering.

 

"I wrote it for your sister... Ga Eul…" he smiled a little shyly, she was the first person he had told and he didn't expect to tell her now, but in the end things will never go as you plan them. "I think I'll give it to her as a birthday present."

 

-Flashback Ends -

 

"I never complained when she drew more attention than me, when we grew up she did it more gracefully, she became prettier and friendlier. We were like two puppies, she was the typical lovely, small, cuddly, type while I… was the one no one wanted to have because I didn't have the charm of small dogs, nor did I have any talents and also… I am very common. That's how I felt when she got his attention, I never thought I would be so evil to her, but to see him smile that way, to see him showing his feelings so freely… Why couldn't it be me? My heart hurts just to remember it. It was my mistake, I never thought he could feel something for my little sister, but who wouldn't? When you see you her, you can't avoid but to smile… I'm really sorry Ga Eul, but i can't just step aside… not when it comes to him. Now is when I feel my heart breaking into two, one weeps because I could lose the person who has always been by my side and the other one because it doesn't want to lose the person that I want to spend the rest of my life beside me." 

 

The young girl with short hair finished writing in her diary and turned off the light on her desk, the bed by her side was occupied by her younger sister… she slept so quietly, she looked beautiful… Jan Di stood up slowly and silently to go to her own bed and sleep a little, perhaps even to scare off bad thoughts. 

 

"Unnie!" Ga Eul was calling her sister that seemed a little upset or lost, she still couldn't understand her state of mind well, ever since a few months ago she had started to behave a little different somewhat cold. "What are you thinking?" she asked in her friendly and playful tone.

 

"Hm…" she exclaimed, while doing a few annoyed gestures. Even her tone of voice had become somewhat irritable. "I was thinking about getting rid of someone annoying in school… you know…" over time she only lied to her younger sister, "a strategy."

 

"Hahaha, Unnie always so funny…" said her younger sister.

 

The truth was that Jan Di was thinking about the time that her heart had broken thanks to her, when he confessed his feelings of love for her little sister. She still couldn't believe that the person that she wanted was after her younger sister.

 

"Unniee…" Ga Eul called after her again." Remember that today is Ji Hoo sunbae's birthday party.

 

"I know that!"

 

Hours later Jan Di was ready for Ji Hoo's party, never before had she felt like today... pretty, she had even bought a beautiful dress, she had even gone to the hairdresser so they could fix her short hair, this day she would try to draw the attention of who she loved.

 

The party was everything that was expected of a boy from the upper class, some of the best families of Korea were at the party, the most handsome guys, even one of the most popular bachelors.

 

Jan Di stepped through the door and then there was silence, she looked very different…it was a complete transformation from an ugly duckling into a swan, even the guys who never turned to see her were doing it.

 

"Wow…" said Yi Jeong, "Is that Jan Di?" He asked his friends, who were amazed to see how beautiful she looked.

 

"Yes…" answered Jun Pyo feeling that his heart ached a little, he had always felt something for her, but he was sure she thought of another.

 

Jan Di walked slowly entering the room full of people, among them the host who by that time was already bored. But then he saw her…it was incredible despite knowing her for so many years, she continued to surprise him. But another person was at the entrance and this time not only was there a silence but also many murmurs, it was the person everyone wanted to see, Ga Eul, Miss Fall… famous for her beautiful and angelic face, she looked like a doll... with a pink and rather bold dress that she timidly wore.

 

Many boys wanted to approach her, invite her to dance, but it was well known that she was not that kind of a girl, she was very conservative. Jan Di saw her with envy, how was it possible that a single person could cause such things in boys? But what bothered her most was that Ji Hoo wouldn't stop seeing her, she had lost again... He only had eyes for her. She got up from her seat to catch some air, to forget about her sister and her love.

 

Ji Hoo looked at her with shyness and surprise, she was so beautiful... her black hair was curly at the ends and that dress... highlighted her skin. He hadn't noticed how mesmerized he had been staring at her until his sister approached him.

 

"Are you only going to stare at her," she told him with a smile on her lips. "Come on Ji Hoo, Ga Eul looks beautiful, you should invite her to dance… don't keep her waiting." His sister knew her younger brother's true feelings and how much it took him to express them openly, so when ever she had a chance she would help him with them.

 

Without saying anything he felt his sister's hands pushing him from his back, he only had to move toward that angelic face, he was nervous… it was his birthday and in those types of parties nothing was denied to the birthday boy. But he wanted her to dance with him for other reasons, perhaps a sincere affection. 

 

"Ga Eul-shi…" he called her short of words. "Do you want to dance?" he asked swallowing a little saliva.

 

"Sunbae Ji Hoo," she said while looking toward the side with shyness, she felt like the whole world was watching her, but it was the birthday of her sister's best friend and also her friend. "Of course…" she replied blushing a little.

 

While in the living room the two young people were dancing as a couple, Jan Di was going down the stairs of the great house of her friend. Some lonely tears fell down her cheeks, she hadn't stayed to see the romantic scene of the two of them, it was hateful to think of it, painful. 

 

"You always ruin my fantasies…" said Jan Di while she took the path back home alone. 

 

A few days after the party, in P.E. class, Jan Di's head was filled with her classmates' comments, those who had attended the party began gossiping on how well they looked together and how she had been on his side throughout the whole night. For her, they were only stabs to her heart …she was watching Ji Hoo playing basketball and he was amazing…how well he could look in any situation, it was amazing… even dressed as a beggar he would look excellent.

 

But the more she watched him the further her love felt, she thought that the day of the party she could conquer his love with a little effort, but her sister had managed to spoil everything, with her mere presence she had stole the person who she most wanted... 'I hate it' she thought as she recalled the way that Ji Hoo was left speechless in front of Ga Eul.

 

But so many evil thoughts worked against her and for not paying attention in class, she didn't notice when a ball went straight to her face, and she only felt the hit that left her on the floor and her nose burning in pain. She slipped her hand through her nose and the red liquid was already spilling, blood was one of the few things that she didn't like and to make matters worse her peers rather than helping her were devoted to mocking her for not paying attention.

 

She left dragging her feet, she felt that everything was wrong... everyone was against her, that no one wanted her to be happy. But to her surprise a couple of dark eyes were always watching her, those who followed her to the bathroom, looking at her from the window, as she wiped the blood from her face and cried in frustration thinking about Ji Hoo and Ga Eul.

 

"Why do you do that?" said the tall guy with curly hair, the one all the girls wanted as a boyfriend and the boys wanted to be. "How can you be so careless? Where's your head at," but it was no secret to him that she would be suffering due to the party scene.

 

"What?" she exclaimed when she saw a strange hand cleaning her, but as soon as she saw who it was she immediately pulled away, he was the last person she expected compassion from… Jun Pyo. "Leave me alone!" she yelled so he would leave.

 

"What's wrong? Why are you crying? Is it because of the accident or something else?" he knew that it was a risk to ask that kind of questions, more so when you faced a beast like her, but it mattered little running risks with her, although they were only bad words, he just loved it when Jan Di spent time on him.

 

"You're a jerk…" she said standing beside him and kicking him to move him out of the way.

 

"Hey!" Jun Pyo was not going to let her escape as always. He grabbed her by the arm and turn her, in her state he couldn't just let her go. "Stop this… stop behaving in such a pitiful manner," he looked at her directly in the eyes, "You are not like that."

 

"What do you know about me?" she cried out of anger, while she felt all her frustration coming out through . "AH!…what does the spoiled little mama's boy know about always trying to be better…" she was getting angry at the wrong person, "you have never felt pain in your heart, you would never understand what hurts me…you don't know anything! YOU JUST DO AS IF THINGS MATTERED TO YOU… BUT YOU KNOW NOTHING…" she was breathing heavily and Jun Pyo was completely shocked by her words. 

 

"I just wanted to... help…" he said with humility, he wasn't expecting such aggressiveness on her part.

 

"HELP!" She began to laugh. "Help!... well then go... come on, help me…"she said with envy and some hate in her voice. "You know that my sister likes you? Well do something about it and leave me alone!" She said before leaving the bathroom and going to the sports fields.

 

Jun Pyo was left blank... what was she asking?…it took him several minutes to understanding the words she said, but by the end of the afternoon he was finally able to understand them, that and assume that it was wrong, he had no interest in Jan Di's sister, he was only interested in her and for her he would do the impossible, even that.

 

In the afternoon JanDi was working at her parents' restaurant, along with her sister, who was harassing her with questions about Jun Pyo, it was so upset to hear her talking only about him.

 

"Please... unnie!" she begged following her everywhere. "My classmates saw you talking to him!" she would plea to her making faces, which her sister would find more detestable even though they were cute.

 

"I already told you!" she insisted to her little sister. "He just wanted to know if I was hurt…" she gave her a sad look, it hurt to lie to her…aside from everything she still loved her."Nothing more…"

 

"Don't be like that! The girls said you were in there a long time," Ga Eul placed her hands in her pockets.

 

"He was only being polite with me... nothing more Ga Eul…" she said releasing a sigh.

 

They were in the middle of a conversation when Ga Eul's cellphone began ringing, she took it, and didn't recognize the number that was calling her, but her face became white when she heard who it was, her eyes became even larger and Jan Di looked at her curiously… what kind of call would make her sister that way?

 

"Really!" She said as she looked at her sister with dreamy eyes, "and I can go with my sister?" she bit her lip waiting for the answer.

 

"Thank you!" she said ending the call and then jumping out of joy. "AH!... It was JUN PYO…" she almost cried out of emotion, the person she loved had called her and not only that, "we've just been invite to dinner with his friends... Ah!, Jan Di you need to take me! Please!…" she told her sister, begging.

 

The two left early to the house, but Jan Di felt that it was her fault her sister was making her golden dream a reality. But the more she saw her, the more she felt it hadn't been a bad thing… She moved from one side to another, pulling dresses, shoes, trying all kinds of clothes and she even looked very happy... How could this be something bad for her? After some time the two girls looked beautiful, with summer dresses and their hair tied up, although her sister was still more attractive that her she felt happy... If she began dating Jun Pyo, well then Ji Hoo would have to stop thinking about her and perhaps they could also date… this idea made her blush.

 

Although he does not know that I exists, I die every time we talk and he wants to hear about her, because ultimately, for him she is more important than me, the one that is precisely sitting by his side. He doesn't want me, but her… I'll make him a favor if he never confesses, because... She is not thinking about him. She wants someone else and she's only going to hurt him, I... just want to save him from all this pain.

It doesn't matter if it is good or bad, nothing matters… I just want to feel the love in my heart and I'll go against everything, even against her…I don't care about the consequences, also... She always gets everything, this time... I want to be the one that stays with him. 

 

Jan Di finished writing the small note in her diary before leaving her room and going to Jun Pyo's party, she was excited to see what would happen tonight.

 

"Unnie," said her sister sitting by her side. "I'm nervous... do you think he's interested in me?… even just a little?" she asked looking down.

 

"Ga Eul! You're beautiful... sweet, the boys always ask you out… why wouldn't he like you?" she answered feeling a growing joy on her chest.

 

"Because he's different," she said to her, "he doesn't care about those things, he looks for something else…" she tenderly smiled.

 

The two girls arrived at the luxurious hotel, they were guided to the terrace of the place, as expected it had been reserved for the group of friends. Ga Eul felt very nervous, she didn't know why he had invited her... but she was happy to be among his friends. But someone else looked very surprised, Ji Hoo…he wasn't Jun Pyo's best friend but they knew each other very well, he had never invited girls before… much less these type of girls, the innocent type and good people.

 

"Ga Eul!" Jun Pyo said to the youngest of the group, he approached her with a big smile, he placed his hand on her back and lead her to a table apart from the group. "Come here…"

 

"Jun Pyo - shi," she whispered instantly blushing, she looked at her sister over the shoulder and then allowed herself be guided by him. "Thank you so much…" she told him once she was settled in her chair, he was such a gentleman.

 

"I'm happy you have come…" he smiled at her as never before, he always seemed to be serious and distant. Ga Eul was mesmerized watching him and Jun Pyo would subtly look at his friends' table, where she was.

 

But the scene and the whispers at the other table were distant to Ji Hoo, with hands crossed over his lap and his gaze fixed on his plate and those two's play, he felt his blood boiling... She was smiling, talking to him, why with him? She should be sitting by his side. He couldn't take it anymore and got up from the table leaving the room in a rush, he left everyone speechless, he could be many things but never do such a snobbish act. Jan Di was left with food in as she saw how her love had a jealousy attack, she never thought she could feel more pain... but she was wrong.

 

Night passed quickly and after Ji Hoo left, the guys had a lot of fun, they even danced and for Ga Eul it was the best day of her life. When they arrived home she wouldn't stop talking about Jun Pyo, she was captivated by him and she kept talking about him till she fell asleep... instead Jan Di couldn't stop thinking about Ji Hoo and his face full of disappointment.

 

When she woke up she felt something squeezing her heart, but she ignored it, she got dressed as always and went walking to school, unlike her sister who was waiting for her friend in order to prevent walking alone. She let out sighs after sighs, but she didn't expect what was coming next.

 

"Why did you do it?" the male voice silenced her like a knife. Ji Hoo was in the midst of her way with his eyes full of pain and sadness, "Why did you ask Jun Pyo to date your sister?"

 

"What?" she said not knowing what to answer, how did he know that?... perhaps…"because... she likes him…"

 

"Weren't you supposed to be my friend!" his eyes were getting moist as he spoke, "why didn't you tell me before?"

 

"I'm sorry Ji Hoo…I… just wanted to…"

 

"What?" he screamed at her, "YOU DIDN'T THINK ABOUT MY FEELING, YOU DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH IT HURT TO SEE HER WITH HIM."

 

She had never seen him this way, he had never shouted at her much less had a fight, and also all of this was happening because of her, why always her?! He ran as he cried, it was a disaster... now he hated her, it was all her sister's fault, You are ruining my life Ga Eul.