Himchan

The Undead

I pushed myself further into the corner, desperate to remain unseen. My nails dug into my legs as I hugged them tightly to my chest, my heart pounding incessantly . Even though the temperature was low, beads of perspiration lined my forehead and dripped heavily down my face with a mix of tears, as I struggled to hold in my exhausted sobs. I forced my eyes open and attempted to peer around the plastic, storage desk I was using for protection. Outside the safety of the desk, the fluorescent lights illuminated the room, giving the white contents an etherreal glow. The room was filled with all different variations of science equipment and lab workers. Against the wall furtherest from me, glass boxes containing scrawny mice were stacked high. A short, stout woman in a white lab-coat stalked the room purposefully, scrutinising every test tube and it's colourful contains. Everywhere I looked, new science technology was in use. I blinked, suddenly realising the familiarity of the room.

It was my Mother's laboratory. 
I slunk back into my previous seat and tried to piece things together. 
*M-mom.. What have you do--*
A sudden hand on my shoulder interrupted my thoughts and forced a scream from me. Another hand clamped over my mouth, muffling any of my protests. 
"Eunmi.", a soft voice soothed, the only thing stopping me from frantically trying to escape the grasp. I looked up to see the familiar face. He gave me an encouraging smile and squeezed my shoulder. "H---" A blinding light obscured my vision, halting me from sighing his name. This time, I did scream, the light getting closer and closer to my eyes. 
"What have we here?", I heard someone chuckle, their deep voice sounding masculine and rough, before all sounds were over-powered by a high pitched ringing. My head began to ache, my ears felt like my eardrum had exploded. The growing pains ceased when everything suddenly went black.
 
 
I woke up gasping for breath. I brought my hand to my head, which still had a light ache and groaned. Looked around me, I let out a sigh of relief when I recognised my room. 
*Just a dream*, I assured myself. *Just a dream*
My head spun and the nightmare I had just experienced kept replaying in mind. It was so realistic. I felt like I had actually lived through it, and it had completely terrified me. I knew my Mom would never do anything like that... Right? And him... My heart skipped a little as I whispered his name. I shook my head quickly and hit it lightly, causing another groan. 
I glanced over at my bedside table and checked my alarm clock. 
5:54am.
I had only a few minutes until it's obstinate ringing would fill my room, waiting for me to get up. I closed my eyes and lay my head back down on my pillow, burying my face in it. When I reopened my eyes, what I thought was a few minutes later, it was nearly 8:30am, which meant school would be starting soon. My eyes widened and I jumped out of bed, pulling a plain t-shirt over my head and grabbed my bag amidst my sprint to the door. I shouldered my backpack as I continued my dash to school, not stopping until I reached the gates. 
 
After catching my breath, I ran onwards to my first class. As I entered, some students were still settling into their seats.
*Phew!*, I headed toward my seat but was interrupted by a curt, "Miss Son, how nice of you to join us."
This caused the class to erupt in low snickers and I slumped into my seat, my head low and my cheeks burning. I began taking out my book and was startled when an unfamiliar face occupied the seat next to me. I looked up at the handsome face and felt the burn in my cheeks return. Quickly scolding myself for staring, I continued taking out my book and placed it neatly on the desk in front of me. 
"Bonjour~", my new seat-neighbour purred, attempting a French accent and failing miserably. I covered my mouth, trying to stifle the small laugh that escaped.
"That bad?", he rubbed the back of his neck bashfully, sounding much better speaking English. I nodded my head lightly, laughing just a little too loud.
"Son Eunmi!", the sudden interference made me jumped. "Hallway now!" The teacher, Mr. Lee, hollered, pointing at the door, wearing a stern face. I began to stand when the boy next to stood abruptly and blurted, "It was my fault!"
Everyone stared at him, including Mr. Lee. His eyes narrowed and he scrutinised the student before deciding to send him out too. "Then do you, Kim Himchan, want to join her?"
The new guy, Himchan I think the teacher had said, trailed closely behind me as I excited the classroom. After closing the door, I slunk down against the wall, feeling ashamed at how the morning had turned out. 
"Second day at a new school and I've already been kicked out of class.", Himchan let out a low chuckle and I only just noticed how deep and raspy his voice was. Even so, I think I kind of liked it... A lot.
When I didn't reply, he continued. "I'm Himchan, by the way.", he pushed his hand out toward me, tilting his head slightly. I nodded, hesitantly shaking his hand. "I'm Eunmi." 
"Nice name.", Himchan gave me a warm smile, leaning back against the wall beside me. "This your first time?", he asked casually, referring to getting sent out of class. I nodded in reply, checking my wrist watch impatiently. 
Himchan cleared his throat and kicked his foot awkwardly. "Uhh, I'm hosting a party tonight and I was wondering if you wanted to come...?" 
I bowed my head, mumbling, "I don't know... I have... Homework, and stuff". I avoided eye contact, knowing that if it wasn't already obvious in my voice, he could tell I was lying by my eyes.
"Well, you will from French.", he let out another low chuckle, making my stomach go all fluttery and I kept looking away, afraid he might notice. When I didn't respond he continued. "Please~~ I'll be worth it. I promise!", He pleaded, looking at me in a cute way that almost made me laugh again.
I sighed and turned away again. "Fine."