Surviving

The Undead

As I exited the building, I scanned my vast surroundings for any walkers, zombies as they are commonly called, my machete at the ready. My breath was haggard and left a foggy cloud in front of my face, obscuring my vision slightly. I shivered unconsciously, both at the low temperature and the dismal atmosphere. With an impatient whistle, I signalled for my get-away-car to come, still holding myself at full alert. Tensing immediately at the sound of screeching car wheels, I soon saw the decrepit, grey pickup truck turn the corner, accelerating towards me with a chain of zombies at its tail.

"Get in!", the driver yelled as he halted the truck momentarily, giving me just enough time to throw in my luggage and follow hurriedly behind. I turned back to look at the blood-soaked creatures continuing to chase us. Their eyes were dark, bloodshot and completely devoid of anything human. The crimson stains splattered over their torn attire were still damp and it looked like their last feed was recent. I shuddered, trying to discard the thoughts of shredded bodies that entered my mind and instead turned my concentration to the barren streets around me. My mind betrayed me and after several glances back at the zombies, I reached for the gun next to me but was stopped as Himchan's fingers curled around my trembling hand. 

"It's not worth wasting the bullets”, his voice was soft but I knew it was a warning. "And attracting more", Himchan continued as I opened my mouth in protest. He flicked his gaze to me briefly before removing his hand from mine and returning his attention to the road with a small sigh. Our vehicle jerked sharply along the road and I noticed, with relief, we had already abandoned the small town we had just raided. The road we were on was torn up and had large crevices with jagged edges jutting up like serrated teeth, as if threatening to ravage our worn tires. The rustic landscape we were travelling through was bare, aside from the occasional corpse. Our followers had given up and I let out a sigh of relief, glad that we had one less problem to deal with. My eyes looked up at the fuel meter, and I winced at the red, flashing light that told us we were low. Himchan pursued my line of sight and nodded solemnly, understanding the reason for my dark face. I slunk back in my seat irritably, the only thing giving me reprieve being that we were nearly back at camp. 

"I doubt they'll be pleased with this.", I grumbled, gesturing to the few supplies we'd scavenged.

"It'll be fine.", Himchan assured me, forcing a small smile. "We did our best". His hand grazed over my lower thigh encouragingly. Although he made a good attempt, I didn't feel any better. At camp we were having ration shortages and running out of places to loot. "At least we'll get something to eat tonight.", Himchan drooled triumphantly. 

"You mean they will.", I retorted, referring to the selfish group at our camp. He didn't say anything in return, but I knew Tate was thinking the same.

"When are we going to leave?", I complained, sounding much more childish than intended.

"Soon!", Himchan snapped back with a bitterness that started me. "I'm sorry" He cooed, reaching for me tenderly. I drew back, frightened by his outburst. He retreated his hand back to the wheel, slightly offended by the rejection. 

"We'll leave when it's safe.", he comforted weakly. "I have some supplies aside for when that time comes."

The Ute slowed before ceasing movement completely, the stop jolting me. Himchan gave me an encouraging look and took my hand in his as we prepared to face the horde headed our way.