At The Park

Slow Motion

The weekend went by much faster than Chanyeol had anticipated. Before he knew it he was waking up at 6:00 am and getting ready for class. He had checked in on Mina, who was still asleep, before heading toward the door. He noticed that Baekhyun has managed to kick his blankets off in the middle of the night and picked it up off the floor. Baekhyun was lying on his side with his legs scrunched up to his chest. His face looked peaceful and his lips were slightly parted as he slept. Chanyeol lifted the blanket into the air and gently set it on top of Baekhyun, making sure he was all covered before heading out the door.

 

When he got to school, he sat down in his usual spot in the very back of the classroom. The professor walked in at 8 o'clock exactly and the class fell silent.

 

“Good morning everybody,” He said. He was a short man, probably around forty-five years of age, with short hair that was slightly grey. He was pretty laid back for a teacher, Chanyeol thought. The class murmured a greeting, most of the students still half- asleep.

 

“Well, that was enthusiastic.” He said, smiling. “I just want to remind you of the mid-year projects that are due soon. In reality, you have a few months, but in filmmaking that is not a lot of time. Your film must be at least 30 minutes long, and must showcase different camera angles. It also must be documentary-style. You must make your film about someone in your life who means a lot to you. Someone who you love and care for deeply, whether it's family, a close friend, a girlfriend or boyfriend, I don't care. But I must be able to feel the emotion through your movie. Moving on, today we are going to analyze a few clips...” Chanyeol tried really hard to pay attention, but the only thing he had on his mind was Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun had only lived with him for a week and a half, but Chanyeol felt as if it had been much longer than that. Ever since the first night Baekhyun spent there, Chanyeol knew that there was something about him that he felt drawn to. Was it his eyes and the way they sparkled when he spoke? What it the loving way he looked at Mina? Chanyeol couldn't pinpoint it, but there was something. He felt silly feeling this way about Baekhyun after only knowing him for such a short time, but he forgot all about it when he and Baekhyun were together.

 

Chanyeol was also afraid that Baekhyun did not feel the same about him, that he saw Chanyeol as a roommate and nothing more. Chanyeol had been trying to get closer to him by offering to take care of Mina more often, and trying to learn more about him, but Baekhyun was hard to read nad he wasn't sure if it was working or not.

 

Chanyeol shook his head and forced himself to forget about Baekhyun for the remainder of the class. When 10:30 rolled around, Chanyeol left the building as quickly as he could and rushed home.

 

When he entered the apartment, he had expected to see Baekhyun sitting on the couch where he usually was when Chanyeol got home, but the house was empty. Chanyeol panicked slightly, but did not jump to conclusions. Baekhyun is an adult, he thought to himself. He can go where he wants.

 

Chanyeol sighed with relief when he found a note stuck to the refrigerator.

 

 

 

Chanyeol,

 

I took Mina to the park. She was getting tired of being stuck in the house all day,

and so was I. We will be back later. Feel free to meet us there when you get home.

 

Love, Baekhyun

 

Chanyeol's heart skipped a beat when he read the word “love” in Baekhyun's handwriting. He folded the note and stuck it in his back pocket. He grabbed his cell phone and jacket and left the house once more, this time on his way to the park.

 

He walked across the field next to the playground and spotted a short, thin figure pushing a little girl on the swings. The girl's hair was flying wildly in the breeze. Chanyeol walked over the them from behind, but Baekhyun had not noticed him yet.

 

Chanyeol smiled mischievously and crept up behind Baekhyun. He put his face as close to Baekhyun's ear as he could manage without alerting him of his presence.

 

“Boo.”

 

Baekhyun jumped five feet in the air and let out a girlish scream. Chanyeol laughed hysterically, holding his sides and doubling over. Baekhyun clutched his heart and his face was stuck in a position of shock before melting into a warm, happy expression. Mina laughed along with Chanyeol.

 

“Channie, you scared Appa!” She said, delighted. Baekhyun joined in the laughter and continuted pushing Mina on the swings.

 

“Sorry, hyung, I just could not pass up the opportunity.” Chanyeol apologized, putting a hand on Baekhyun's shoulder. Baekhyun shook his head.

 

“It's fine, I probably would have taken the chance myself. How was class?” He asked, looking Chanyeol in the eyes. Chanyeol loved those eyes.

 

“It was pretty boring, actually.” He replied, taking a seat at the picnic table next to the swing set.

 

“Mina, appa is going to go talk with Chanyeol. You go play on the playground or something, okay?” Baekhyun said to the little girl. She smiled and ran over to the colorful array of platforms and slides a few feet away. Baekhyun walked over and sat opposite Chanyeol at the table. He leaned forward slighty, his elbows resting on the wood. He kept a close eye on Mina, who was now running around with a group of other children.

 

“How was your day today?” Chanyeol asked, taking off his jacket. It was abnormally warm out for a February afternoon. Baekhyun shrugged.

 

“Just like any other day. We talk about me way too much. Tell me about you.” He said, tilting his head to the side slightly. Chanyeol was not sure where to start, as no one had ever asked him about his life before.

 

 

“I am a really boring person, you don't wanna hear about my life.” Chanyeol said.

 

“Of course I do. I don't think you are boring.” Baekhyun said, smiling. “Come on, please?” He made a fake pouty face and Chanyeol was defenseless against it. He sighed.

 

“Fine,” he gave in. “What do you wanna know?” Baekhyun shrugged.

 

“Everything. Start with your family.”

 

“My family? Um, well, my mother passed away when I was fifteen.” Chanyeol started. Baekhyun's smile left his face and he looked down at his hands.

 

“Oh..I'm sorry.” He said. “What was she like?” Chanyeol smiled at the memories of his mother.

 

“She was so kind-hearted. Every day, I would come home from school and there would always be a plate of cookies waiting on the table. She always gave me a hug and said 'Welcome home, my beautiful boy'.” Chanyeol could feel the tears welling in his eyes, and tried really hard not to let them spill over.

 

“If you don't want to talk about it, we can talk about something else.” Baekhyun suggested.

 

“No, it's fine. It feels good to talk about her.” Chanyeol said. “She had long, black hair, kind of like Mina's. And my father was infatuated with her. When she died, a part of him died along with her. That's why he was so distant after she passed. He barely talked to me or anyone else.”

 

Suddenly, a familiar cry rang out from the playground. Chanyeol was the first one up and running toward Mina, who had fallen down and scraped her knee. He picked her up and hugged her in his arms. Baekhyun ran over to them.

 

“Is she okay?!” He asked, examining her the best he could while she was in Chanyeol's arms.

 

“I think she just scraped her knee.” He replied. He brought her over to the picnic table and sat her down on it. She was sniffling and wiping tears from her face as Chanyeol took a band aid from his pocket and gently placed it onto Mina's scraped knee.

 

“Does that feel a bit better?” He asked her. She nodded her head, sniffling once more. “Do you wanna go play again or do you wanna go home?”

 

“I wanna go play!” She said. Standing up and running towards the playground again. Chanyeol turned back to Baekhyun, who was staring at him the whole time, his eyes bright.

 

“What?” Chanyeol asked. Baekhyun didn't answer. “What is it?”

 

“I..I don't know what it is about you, Park Chanyeol, but you never cease to amaze me.” He smiled his handsome smile and looked Chanyeol straight in the eyes. Baekhyun's words momentarily took away Chanyeol's ability to breathe. He was speechless.

 

“I don't see what is so great about me, honestly.” He said, shyly running his hand through his hair and smiling. Baekhyun walked closer to him, taking one of his hand and holding it with both of his. His body was only about six inches from Chanyeol's.

 

“You doubt yourself too much.” Baekhyun looked up at Chanyeol. Chanyeol could feel the blood rush to his face and Baekhyun must have seen it, because he giggled. They sat down at the table again and talked for another ten minutes before Baekhyun called to Mina and told her it was time to go home.

 

Chanyeol carried Mina on his back the entire way home and when they walked in the door, she hopped down and ran into her room. Chanyeol was exhausted, so he plopped down on the couch and closed his eyes, leaning his head on the armrest. A moment later, he felt someone tap his shoulder. He opened one eye and saw a handsome brown haired boy hovering over him. Chanyeol reached up an jabbed Baekhyun in the sides, causing him to make a loud noise and jerk his body away.

 

Before they knew it, Baekhyun and Chanyeol were in an all out tickle fight. Baekhyun retaliated by tickling Chanyeol's sides. Chanyeol wriggled around wildly and laughed so hard he could barely breathe. Chanyeol escaped Baekhyun's attack and lifted Baekhyun, throwing him onto the couch. He ran to the opposite side of the room, laughing and trying to catch his breath. Baekhyun got up and ran over to him jumping on his back. Chanyeol spun around, trying to make Baekhyun dizzy, but made himself dizzy in the process. He stumbled around, Baekhyun still on his back, and tripped over the back of the couch. Chanyeol flipped over landing on his back, and Baekhyun landed on top of him, their faces inches apart.

 

For a moment, they were in shock at the compromising position they ended up in. Both of them were panting as they stared into each other's eyes. For that moment,

 

Before Chanyeol could say a word, Baekhyun leaned forward and pressed his lips against Chanyeol's.