Roomates

Slow Motion

Over the next week, Chanyeol kept running into Baekhyun and Mina, whether it was outside the coffee shop, or in the bookstore, or just out on the street. It was always the same basic conversations. Hello's, how are you's, and a goodbye. Chanyeol noticed different things that Baekhyun did each time they saw eachother. He kept a mental note of these things, such as the color of his eyes, or the way he moves his arms when he walks, or the way he stumbles over some words. He began to look forward to running into him, and almost forgot the fact that Baekhyun was homeless.

 

Baekhyun also made eye contact with him more often now. Before he was shy, but now he seems to be taking the same interest in Chanyeol that Chanyeol has taken in him.

 

Before Chanyeol knew it, it was Sunday night and he had to go back to class in the morning. Where had the vacation gone? He had worked so much that he barely had time to do anything that he had wanted to. Chanyeol had planned on spending the remainder of his vacation time playing video games or watching movies, but his eyes would not stay open. Though he dreaded the thought of waking up early the next day, he fell asleep on his couch around ten o'clock.

 

On his way to class in the morning he grabbed a coffee, and contemplated going to talk to Baekhyun, who was leaning against the coffee shop holding hands with Mina.. He noticed that Baekhyun is very skinny and the weather is still very cold. Surely, soon enough he or Mina will get sick from living in these conditions. He wanted to ask if there was anything he could do to help them, but he was already late for class. He gave up the idea and headed to school, taking notes about video editing the entire class, then going back home. Baekhyun sat in his usual spot outside the coffee shop when Chanyeol walked by, the empty coffee cup sitting on the ground beside him.

 

Chanyeol stopped when Baekhyun smiled at him and went over to him.

 

“Good morning, Chanyeol.” Baekhyun said. Mina was asleep on his lap, her head resting on his shoulder. He had his arms wrapped around her tiny body.

 

“Hello, Baekhyun.” Chanyeol smiled back. “Can we talk for a minute?” Baekhyun looked a little confused.

 

“Uhm, sure, I guess. Where?” He said, gesturing towards the sleeping baby girl on his lap. “I don't want to wake her up, she hasn't been feeling well.”

 

“We can go up to my apartment.” Chanyeol suggested. “I can make something for you and Mina to eat and we can talk.” Baekhyun nodded and Chanyeol helped him stand up without waking Mina. They walked together up the stairs and into Chanyeol's apartment. Baekhyun laid Mina on the couch and the two men sat at the tiny kitchen table opposite each other.

 

“So, what's up?” Baekhyun asked. Chanyeol sighed and sat there for a minute before continuing.

 

“I don't want to seem strange...or anything. But, I am beginning to worry about you and Mina.” Baekhyun's expression remained the same. Chanyeol had began to think of Baekhyun as a friend after getting to know him a bit more, and it bothered him when he was reminded that he was homeless, especially since he had a child.

 

“Why are you worried?” Baekhyun swirled his finger around the opening to the bottle of soda Chanyeol handed him.

 

“Even you said, Mina is beginning to get sick. Its the middle of February and you guys don't have anywhere to stay. I just don't wanna see one of you get hurt or catch something. I just...I wish I could help you guys out, you know?”

 

Baekhyun looked Chanyeol in the eyes sadly. He inhaled deeply through his nose, tilting his head back and looking at the ceiling. Chanyeol thought he looked as if he were about to cry.

 

“I know, but we really don't have a choice. I can't seem to find a job anywhere, no matter how hard I try. My ex-girlfriend left me with a baby at age seventeen. I was forced to drop out of school and I was so close to graduating...so close. Life has thrown so many things at me at once and I feel like I am failing Mina as a father. It's not her fault, but yet she has to suffer with me.” Chanyeol looked over at the sleeping girl on the couch.

 

“Baekhyun, you haven't failed her. She's alive, isn't she? And she is the happiest kid I have ever met.” Baekhyun nodded and sighed, closing his eyes.

 

“I guess so...I just wish I could give her better. I don't know what I did to earn this life.” Chanyeol put his hand on Baekhyun's and looked him in the eyes. Baekhyun looked surprised, but did not move his hand away.

 

“Well, I can't say I know you that well, but from what I have seen, you are a great father, and she does not seem to know the difference between your lives and normal lives. At least she's happy.” Chanyeol reassured him.

 

“Yeah...But it break's my heart that she doesn't know the difference. She thinks what we have is normal.” His voice broke and Chanyeol looked up to see a tear running down the side of Baekhyun's face. Finally, Baekhyun broke into quiet sobs.His emotions seemed to pour out in an avalanche of pent up frustrations. Chanyeol felt another pang in his heart when he saw Baekhyun crying.

 

“I'm sorry,” he apologized. “I shouldn't be dumping this all on you.” Sadness was heavy on his voice. He wiped his face free of tears and looked apologetically at Chanyeol.

 

“Don't be sorry. I consider you a friend, and that is what friends are for.” Baekhyun smiled at Chanyeol's words.

 

“What did you want to talk about, anyway?” Baekhyun said, trying to make it look like he wasn't crying and failing miserably.

 

“Well, I want to make you an offer.” Chanyeol said. Baekhyun's red, puffy face looked up at him with slightly wide eyes. Baekhyun nodded and adjusted his position in the chair, sitting up to show that he was listening.

 

“Would you and Mina like to stay here for a while? This apartment is way to big for just one person, and I trust you guys. I could help you get a job, and get you back on your feet so you don't have to live on the streets anymore.” Baekhyun let this sink in for a minute, before sighing, long and heavy.

 

“You really mean this? I really couldn't impose on you like that...” Baekhyun said. “It wouldn't be right.”

 

“I am 100% positive. Mina could have the spare room and I could pull the couch out into a bed for you. I just really hate seeing you two outside in the cold. It's not like you have to pay rent, just clean up around the house and eventually I will help you get a job. If you want, that is.” Chanyeol insisted. In all honestly, Chanyeol had been considering this idea for a few days now, and decided that it would be okay to at least ask them how they felt about it.

 

Baekhyun was silent for a good three minutes as he tapped his fingers on the table. Chanyeol let him think it over, since it really was a big decision. He watched as Baekhyun's eyes moved from the sleeping Mina to his hands. After a while, Chanyeol broke the silence.

 

“So, what do you say?” He raised his eyebrows and smiled at Baekhyun. Baekhyun chuckled at Chanyeol's goofy smile and stood up from the table.

 

“Come here.” He said, gesturing for Chanyeol to stand up. Chanyeol was very confused, but did what Baekhyun said and went over to him. Baekhyun wrapped his arms around the taller boy and embraced him in a tight hug. Chanyeol was speechless and wasn't sure how to respond. He took note of the fact that Baekhyun smelled a little bit like cinnamon.

 

“You just might be saving me and my daughter's lives, Chanyeol. For that, I can never repay you enough.” Baekhyun said, pulling away from Chanyeol and looking into his eyes.

 

“So, you're going to move in?” Chanyeol said, a little more eagerly than he had meant to. Baekhyun nodded and beamed at Chanyeol.

 

“I cannot thank you enough for this.” Baekhyun said, walking over to Mina, who was still sound asleep on the couch. He lifted her up and carried her to the door. “I just need to grab a couple things.”

 

Chanyeol hurried over and opened the door for him.

 

“I'll help you out.” He said, following Baekhyun out the door. “Just show me where to go.” Baekhyun hesitated for a minute, but agreed and led Chanyeol outside and down the sidewalk. They walked past the bookstore and continued on for a few more minutes. They arrived at the local park and Baekhyun walked into the small gathering of trees behind it. Chanyeol wondered what he was doing, but went with him anyway. Baekhyun handed Mina to Chanyeol, who had never held a kid before, and knelt on the ground. Underneath a large bush, there was a picture frame, and a duffel bag. Baekhyun shoved the picture frame into the bag and hoisted it onto his shoulder.

 

“Okay, this is everything.” Bakehyun said, ready to head back to Chanyeol's apartment. Chanyeol stared at the spot under the bush, then back at Baekhyun.

 

“This is where you guys slept?” he asked, in shock. Chanyeol could not imagine sleeping on the ground in the park all night. Baekhyun nodded, giving Chanyeol a sad look.

 

Baekhyun asked Chanyeol if he wanted him to take Mina back, but Chanyeol wanted to keep holding her. He kinda liked the warmth she gave off and holding her made him feel like he was helping.

 

They walked back to Chanyeol's house and Mina woke up as they walked in the door.

 

“Appa?” She said, still half asleep. Chanyeol wasn't sure what to do, so he handed her back to Baekhyun who set her on the floor. She swayed back and forth sleepily and Chanyeol thought it was the most adorable thing he had ever seen. She rubbed her eyes with her tiny fists and yawned. Baekhyun adjusted her clothes and gave her a hug.

 

“Good morning, sunshine.” He said, her hair. “We are at Chanyeol's house.” Her eyes brightened at the mention of Chanyeol's name. She spotted him standing in the doorway to the kitchen and walked over to him. She looked up at him, hugging his legs. Chanyeol smiled down at her.

 

“Hey, Mina.” He said, laughing.

 

“How would you like to live here, with Chanyeol and Appa?” Baekhyun said. Mina gasped excitedly and put her hands on her cheeks.

 

“Really?!” she said, looking up at Chanyeol. He nodded and she threw her hands in the air.

 

“I would like that, Channie” She said. Chanyeol laughed at his new nickname, but Baekhyun seemed concerned.

 

“Mina, that's disrespectful. He is your elder.” Baekhyun said, furrowing his eyebrows. Chanyeol waved his hand and shook his head.

 

“No, no, it's fine!” He assured him. He knelt down next to Mina and put his hand on her shoulder. “You can call me Channie, if you want.”