Prologue

Slow Motion

 

Life throws unexpected situations at you, sometimes good and sometimes bad. You never know what will happen day to day and how it will impact your life. When I moved to Seoul to go to college, I did not expect anything spectacular to happen to me. Actually, I was prepared for the worst. I expected to live in a cheap apartment, alone, living off the salary from whatever job I could find. What I got was much different, and so much better...

 

My mother passed away from stomach cancer when I was fifteen, and my father has been very distant since then. He and I rarely held conversations for more than two minutes, so moving to Seoul after I graduated was not a big deal. I had saved money for it by doing small jobs for neighbors and working as a dishwasher at a local restaurant.

 

My father tried convincing me that filmmaking was not a practical career choice for an nineteen year old kid, but I didn't listen to him and pursued my dream of becoming a director. I had stacks and stacks of DVDs and documentaries in my bedroom and loved re-watching them in my spare time. Needless to say, I was a typical, lonely high school senior with that one friend that wasn't really your friend, but you said they were so you wouldn't seem like a loner. I had never even been in a relationship before.

 

My apartment in Seoul was dirty and abandoned when I first bought it, but it was my first time living in a house alone and I was still excited about it. I cleaned it up, painted the walls, but didn't bother decorating. I had a bedroom, a couch, a small television, a kitchen, and a bathroom and that was it. But that was all I really needed. I was a nineteen year old guy living alone in a big city, why did I need anything else?

 

I went to class every morning at eight and when that ended at ten-thirty, I went straight to work at the bookstore, Pages. Not a very original name, but the owner, Minseok, was a good friend of mine and gave me a job right away.

 

Every day, I stopped at the coffee shop underneath my apartment for breakfast before class and ordered a bagel and a latte. My other friend, Jongin, worked there and helped me find my way around whenever I got lost. People making their morning commute flooded the sidewalks every day, and I was not used to it having grown up in a small, suburban neighborhood. At first, I was overwhelmed by the noise and crowded streets of Seoul. I got lost numerous times traveling between school, work, and my house, but after a while, I got used to city life.

 

I had the typical college life. But it was soon turned upside down all because of a homeless boy and a little girl.