At the Cost of her Memories

Seeking the New World - Book 4 - Special

 

Chapter 5 - At the Cost of her Memories

Yin woke up in Kai’s arms after a dreamless sleep. Both Argents were given the honour to sleep as much as they needed by Lu Han. She had forgotten the fact that he slept without a shirt again. Although his teasing did annoy her, she couldn’t deny that his body heat helped her relax.

The first thing she saw was his bare chest. She peered up at his face and occupied herself memorizing his face. Even in his sleep, he was handsome. She just didn’t take the time to admit it to herself.

“It’s rude to stare.” He spoke but she wasn’t fazed. When he opened his eyes, she wordlessly turned him over on his back with her on top. With an unreadable expression, her fingers traced his facial features like a ghost. Kai’s arms were still locked around her waist. She gently combed his hair back after a while.

“Can you tell me what you’re thinking?” He asked.

“It feels like everything is a dream.”

Kai sat up and she ended up straddling his lap. “What made you think that way?”

“It’s too good to be true. I have only three more Runes to find, and my memories could return sooner than I expect.” She leaned her head into his shoulder.

“What if all my effort disappears? What if you will disappear?”

Kai sighed and pushed her back to look at her in the eye. “Listen to me: Everything is just falling into place. The more Runes you collect, the stronger you become - which means the more memories you regain. Think of it as good news, Yin.”

“Sometimes,” she said after a pause, “I thought it would be enough if I remained this way. I started to wonder if we were enemies before.”

Kai touched her cheek. “I promise you that we were never like that.” He drew her in closer until their foreheads touched, their lips inches away.

“I promise,” he repeated. She wove her hands around his neck, stripping away all her Argentic strength. They were silent again, but it was a comfortable silence until he broke it again.

“Say something.” He chuckled lightly. She shushed him and whispered, “Hold me, just a little while longer.” He tightened his embrace as she hid her face in the crook of his neck and her hands sliding to his chest. She didn’t need to cry; she was only anxious to what would happen today - or what would happen tomorrow.


 

The ten members of Faction Twenty Four gathered in the main meeting room. Lu Han was finally up on his feet, healthy and smiling. Su Ho was finally out of his house arrest and slowly warmed up to Yin. D.O also completed his reevaluation and passed with flying colours. Chan Yeol was still drowsy from his hibernation week.

Baek Hyun spoke up with a rather thick book in his hands. “Tao and I did some weather forecast this morning and we predicted that the solar eclipse will occur in fifty days from today. It will happen midday.”

“Fifty days isn’t a long time.” Lay noted.

“Baek, what’s that you got?” Chan Yeol nodded his head at the book.

“I asked him to bring that here.” Lu Han answered for him. Baek Hyun held it up in his hands and the telekinetic levitated it towards himself. “This is the record of all the Argents registered in the society as of this year.” As he flipped through each page, he continued, “There are over thirty factions including ours registered in the society and but the increase rate has become lower recently.”

“In each group, the average number of members is about 5 or 6. We are currently the largest group in the society as well as the most diverse.” Baek Hyun elaborated.

“However, our numbers are not enough to take on the army.” Su Ho said.

“That is why we and two other factions will go out and search every high and low for stray Argents.” Lu Han said.

“Tao, did any of the Boundless Daemens attack you at the Gunga Mountains?” D.O asked.

“Most likely, but he may have stayed in the background.”

“I would have to agree, because based from my experience, there would be at least one Boundless Daemen commanding a Daemen party. Xiu Min or Wu Fan may have been there, Tao.” Lay wasn’t comfortable talking about the massacre of his orphanage, but he needed to help somehow.

“I did get some information while drifting through many villages on my way here.” Tao said.

“What kind?” Su Ho asked.

“I heard whispers of a base in the Hyogun Arctic Circle, thousands of Daemens in various ranks reside there.”

“We can’t assume for sure.” Kai commented.

“But it’s the only lead we have.” D.O added. “They haven’t made a move yet. I’d say we check it out before they could plan an assault.”

“We all can’t go. It will draw attention.” Chan Yeol gave a good point.

“That is why we all have to agree on who will go in which group.” Lu Han said.

“So we split up?” Kai inquired.

“Precisely.”

“Lu Han, you’re telling us we're resorting to lessen our power as a faction for this?” Su Ho tried to convince him to change his mind.

“We all can’t afford to take this chance. In other words, we don’t have a choice.” 

“I want Su Ho and Yin to go to the Hyogun Arctic Circle.” The water-user whipped his head at the telekinetic in outrage.

“Your brother may be there.” He whispered to him. “Also, another Rune may be there for her to retrieve.” Su Ho sighed in discontent. “We can’t defeat him, not with our strength.”

“Su Ho,” she called his name. “Please remember the request.” She tried not to mention what the request was in front of the other members. It was coded for him to figure out.

“He’s too strong.” He remarked.

“I don’t care.” She blurted out and stood up from her seat. “It’s insulting when you underestimate my trust. I said this before, but I don’t want to be your enemy,” she repeated.

“Why? Why would you risk your life to save him for me?”

“Because I want you to hope. Your pessimism is discouraging,” she spat. Kai had never seen her so angry. Frankly, watching her wrath ooze from her lips was slightly intimidating.

“Yin, please calm down.” Lu Han tried to stop the argument, but they ignored him.

“I don’t care how strong he is. I don’t care how unforgivable he may be, but above all, he’s your brother. Do you have any love for him at all? Tell me, Su Ho. Tell me to my face that you don’t know what a family is - tell me what it means.” The tense atmosphere turned more uncomfortable and chilling. "If you won’t forgive him when he is saved, I won’t forgive you either.”

“I hate to interrupt but I do agree with her, Su Ho.” Chan Yeol said. “If you don’t accept your brother back as family, then her hard work would be a waste of time and blood. Think about it: you’re ignoring her efforts to keep that request.”

He knew because he witnessed her saving Lay, who she would be willing to switch places with him.

Yin was gently pulled back down by Se Hun, who was silently whimpering from her venomous voice. Her face softened for him and Su Ho sat in his seat moments after her.

“I apologize, Lu Han.” She bowed her head, ashamed for letting her emotions control her. He shook his head.

“It’s alright. Can I continue?”

She nodded.

“Very well. I want D.O, Lay and Se Hun to accompany her and Su Ho to the Daemen’s base.”

“The rest will meet with the two other factions and search for any Argents that stand free.”

Kai’s heart dropped in disappointment, but he was worried for Yin’s safety. He wanted to go with her, making sure that she wouldn’t get herself killed. Lu Han saw his discomfort but he wanted to make the divide and conquer more efficient.

“Lu Han,” D.O raised his hand. “I actually know some Argents from a city near my hometown. Can I fill you in before you go?”

“Thank you,” he replied. “Are they strong?”

The earth-user smirked. “You’ll know when you see ‘em.”

“Everything’s settled then.” Tao stated. “When do you want us to go?” He turned to Lu Han.

“Tomorrow morning we will depart.” He answered.


 

That night, Kai kept her company while she scoured around for her warmest clothes. She still had that troubled look on her face and it was making him worry and a little frustrated.

“What’s wrong?”

She didn’t answer, hoping that he wouldn’t pry.

“That guy said something to you, did he? Back in Mt. Maguiti?” He prompted, causing her stop whatever she was doing. He walked over to her and put a hand on her shoulder.

“He said he killed me before.” She clung onto her long sweater tighter. “I couldn’t understand.”

“You’ve said you’ve seen him in your memories before.”

“I know, but I don’t see why I am still alive when I thought I was supposed to be dead.”

“Don’t think about it too much. I’m just glad that Lay found you then.”

Instead of a smile, she looked away. She looked out from her window.

“Sometimes, I wished that I didn’t have this arm. I wished that I wasn’t chosen to do this.”

“Yin,” he murmured.

“It was so hard, coping with nothing but my own body. I didn’t want to experience so much pressure.”

“Don’t shoulder everything by yourself. Let us carry some of it for you.”

“As tempting as it sounds, I don’t want to. I don’t want any of you to know what kind of power they hold when they are removed from their sealing places. Whenever I grab a new Rune in my hands, their power is overwhelming that it hurt. It’s like swallowing a hard chestnut down your throat without cracking it open, or like a thick needle piercing into your arm.”

Kai gave her a hug from behind.

“Don’t give up.” He felt her shoulders quiver, her voice grunting from holding back her tears.

“Please don’t give up, Yin.” Tears streamed down nonetheless. “I know that I can’t come with you but please, stay strong for me.” He turned her around, pushed her head to his chest, letting her quiet tears soak his shirt and waited until she calmed down. She ended up crying herself to sleep. He picked her up and laid her under her soft blankets. He snuck a kiss on her parted lips and quietly left her room.

“I’ll be back,” he breathed.

He leaned against the door outside and backtracked. In the past two days, he learned that Tao was her Wushu Master for almost a year after she stayed in Lay’s orphanage. Her refuge in Nomun was three months. He also recalled the last moments of Hong Ja Young back at the death camp. Even if she was miraculously saved, her memories would have remained.

Unless she died and Lay had the power to revive her from the dead, it would make sense. Finally settling on a decision, he teleported to Lay’s room. He came inside without knocking.

“Lay.” He greeted. The healer slightly jumped at his unexpected entrance.

“Is there something you need?” He politely asked.

“Can you bring people from the dead?” He dove in right away.

“Why do you ask?”

“Did she die when you found her?”

“No,” he answered back with hesitation.

“You should know, Lay, that even if she was saved from death, her memories would still be there. You’ve done something to her.” He accused.

“I had no intention to use her for my own benefit.”

“Then tell me everything that happened, and don’t leave anything out.”

The healer sighed. “It may have been my fault for her memory loss to happen. She was minutes away from death when I found her mortally wounded in that death camp. I used my power to stall her death but it wasn’t successful.”

“I don’t get it. If it didn’t work then how can you explain her now?” He sarcastically remarked.

“The technique I used on her was an underdeveloped skill. It is a sedative paralysis that can delay infection. It was enough to keep her alive for another few minutes but there were severe side effects. It could range from long-term paralysis, immunity system shutting off, or Argentic powers lost.”

“How long was she out for?”

“One month. I’ve never had this case before. It might be because she was a Human-born Argent. I can never fully know why she hadn’t woken up for that long, or losing all her memories. It was the least likely to lose Argentic powers.”

Kai remained quiet, taking his explanation in.

“Kai, you may know this but Yin’s more fragile than she looks. She could barely talk while she stayed with me.”

“I do know that she gained some weaknesses, but she got stronger.”

“I’m going to say what I said to her to you: don’t let her go. She’ll need you, but at the same time, believe in her.” 

The teleporter stared at him for another moment until he firmly nodded.

“Lay, I’m counting on you to take care of her one more time. I know I won’t be with her for a while but I trust her with you if anything happens.”

It was Lay’s turn to nod.

“Come on, we have long days ahead of us. Best if we get some rest before it gets too late.” They smiled and Kai disappeared with a snap of his fingers. Before Lay went to bed, he turned to the picture frame Yin returned to him when he returned to the society. He closed his eyes and prayed, “Please give us a way to save my friend. He is not someone to be killed; he just needs to come to his senses. Please let there be some way.”

Kai teleported back into Yin’s room where she hadn’t moved from her position he left her in. His eyes softened from all the information he got from Lay when he gazed at her. He peeled off his sweater and placed his ring beside hers on the beside table. He crept under her comforter behind her and wrapped an arm around her waist. Feeling the intimate gesture, she adjusted to him. 

The teleporter whispered in her ear, "Don't be afraid." He learned that those three simple words would console and tame her. With him not by her side this time, he was more anxious that she could be more likely to beserk like what happened in Faria. Yin, however, wearily smiled and snuggled in his embrace.

The two Argents let themselves sleep deeply before the storm. They couldn’t predict what could happen tomorrow.