Regroup

Seeking the New World - Book 4 - Special

 

Chapter 3 - Regroup

In the middle of the night, Lu Han opened his eyes from another meditation session. He was drenched in sweat and panting for air. He rubbed his temples to ease the ache he had been feeling for a while. He uncrossed his legs and slipped on a light cardigan.

He climbed up three flights of stairs to the rooftop, greeted by the chilly breeze he craved. He took small unhurried steps along the edge, thinking very deeply. In all his years as a member of Faction Twenty Four and a leader figure of the group, he avoid talking about himself. He believed that it would be better if no one asked.

He settled himself down on the floor and looked up at the night sky. He remembered seeing one exactly like this before but not in the society. He wished that he never did. It’s been many years since he found Lotis and took refuge in the paradise. He learned things he should not have learned, seen things she should not have seen.

He could remember bones breaking, blood shedding, and the faces of the dead. They were gruesome memories that haunt him in his sleep. He didn’t want to have enemies, but he was no exception.

He sighed to himself and closed his eyes again.


 

Numerous metal targets were sliced from afar and their parts hit the ground. Se Hun's attire consisted a beautifully patterned long sleeve shirt with tassels hanging on his chest dangling in the wind, and gray pants with shoes. He panted after the last attack. Kai, Yin and D.O were watching him practice.

“He’s restricting himself.” D.O said.

The others dismally agreed. They could recall how powerful he became when they were in the desert.

“He’s afraid of his other self when he was a Daemen.” Kai added.

“We have time.” Yin tried to be optimistic. “Look at him, he tries to improve every day and I can see it. That’s why I’m not too worried about him.”

“I guess you’re right. He can destroy those metal targets a lot easier today.” The earth-user praised.

“It actually scares me about how powerful he can potentially be.” Kai remembered when Lu Han told him after Yin rescued him at the colisseum - the fact that he was so close to obtaining his Crux. He was the second youngest member of the faction and Kai made sure that they both would look out for each other.

Se Hun fell on his hands and knees and breathed heavily. “Se Hun! You got enough done for the day! Come sit with us!” D.O called him over and he joyfully scampered over and plopped down beside Yin. She affectionally patted his shoulder in a sisterly way and he gave a modest smile.

They shared a diversity of stories like old friends. There were moments when D.O couldn’t even hold back his own laughter while telling one of his most funniest stories. It was so contagious that the others could help but laugh with him. Se Hun, being mute, only grinned from ear to ear.

D.O at one point nudged Kai in his side, teasing him. “So I guess you took my advice.”

He raised an eyebrow. “What advice?”

He pointed at Yin who was making a conversation with Se Hun.

“All you did was teasing me, you moron.”

“Aha! You admit it! I did help you at some point”

“I’m not admitting anything, and you didn't help at all!”

“But you’re not denying anything either.”

“So?”

“So,” he raised his voice, “Like I said, you like her.” He sang.

“Shut up, will you? This is getting awkward.” Kai pushed him away with his hand.

“I’m not gonna stop bothering you until you say it with your own lips.”

“Look at her, really comfy with him over there. Getting a little jealous are we?” He smirked.

“I’m not jealous!”

“Then what about when she rode to Faria with Baek Hyun and not you?”

“That’s no different.”

“Sure it is. I bet you guys haven’t got any closer than he did.”

Kai was pretty sure that a vein popped in his head and he felt his cheeks getting warm. He teleported right by her side, stole her from a dumbfounded Se Hun and teleported back. Before Yin could complain why he did that, he pulled her into a deep kiss she wasn’t prepared for. They stayed in the same position for a few long moments before he pulled away with a satisfied smack. Her eyes were still open in shock and he pecked her forehead and smirked at D.O, whose eyes were threatening to pop out.

“Jealousy bites your , does it?”

D.O flicked his hand. “Alright, alright, I get it. You just wanna have some alone time.”

“Then I’ll leave you guys here to clean up. Have fun.” He disappeared with Yin and left him. He turned around and dismally looked at the damage the wind-user made. “Damn it, he got me again.” He groaned and motioned Se Hun to help out.


 

Holding hands, Kai and Yin walked through the halls to his room, and take D.O’s advice. Her face was still flushed from his bold move.

“You didn’t have to do it in front of him to leave you alone.” She quietly said.

“What else could I do? Words can’t shut him up.” He shrugged his shoulders.

“You could have just said what he wanted you to say.” Kai stopped and abruptly pinned her to the wall.

“What did he want me to say, then?”

“Y-you know what I mean.” She stuttered.

“But I want you to say it.” He breathed in her ear.

“Not here.”

“No one’s watching.” His lips barely grazed her neck, making her shiver at his touch.

“What if someone sees?” She murmured.

“You better say it before someone does see.” He teased. She tried to push his chest but he was too quick for her and held her wrists.

“Do you want someone to hear it other than me?” He asked.

“You’re mean. Don’t seduce me into saying it.”

“But it’s true. You know it is.”

She sighed inwardly and slowly opened her lips at an agonizing pace. Before she finally gave in, she felt a faint pulse of energy coming from somewhere in the building and it was moving.

“Wait.” She said with alerted eyes darting from left to right. He immediately let go of her and his eyes matched hers.

“What is it?”

She didn’t say anything and tried to follow it but it was almost impossible.

“A Rune?”

She nodded. She pushed herself off the wall and felt it with her hand. She moved it to the left for a few moments and then to the right for another few. She drew a shaking breath.

“I can’t find it.”

“What do you mean?”

“It feels like it’s here in this building, but at the same time, it isn’t.”

“This is confusing.”

“I know, but I can’t explain it in any other way.” She sank to the floor in frustration. Kai sat down beside her, putting an arm around her.

“Slow down. You don’t have to find it right away. You can’t push yourself too hard in order to complete your search.”

“I wish it were that easy.” She leaned her head into his shoulder, trying to find some comfort in his embrace. He gently patted her arm, trying his best to calm her down. He felt tension in her body. They were surrounded with the sounds of their breathing for what seemed like an eternity for both of them. Eventually Kai felt her relax, and a bit proud of himself.

She lifted her head. “I’ll go and talk to Lu Han. He might know something.” Kai kissed her head. “Do you want me to go with you?”

“I won’t be long.” She assured him and stood up and made her way to find the telekinetic. 

When she reached the meeting room, she waited, anticipating Lu Han’s voice to grant her access. She knocked on the door, waiting for a response, but there was nothing.

“Hello?” She tried. There was still no answer. She turned the knob and opened the door. The lights were on but no one was in the room. The television was off and the windows were closed. There was a glass of water on the table along with some pills - painkillers.

Yin warily looked around for anyone who was probably hidden. “Is someone here?” She called out but there was no answer again. She scanned for anything that was out of place until she saw the bathroom lights seeping through another door in the room. It was closed.

She knocked. “Lu Han?”

Her hands became clammy from the eerie emptiness. The door was locked. She knocked again, more frantic this time. “Lu Han?”

She gripped on the knob and forcibly pulled it out and tossed it away. She swung the door open and nearly fell over in shock. There was Lu Han, slumped on the wall with his head facing away from her. He wasn’t moving - not even breathing. His face looked strained.

She crawled to him and shook his shoulders with trembling hands. “Lu Han? Lu Han!” She repeated his name, each more frantic than the previous. She felt his pulse. It was still steadily beating. She immediately pulled back with the same presence that called out to her just minutes before. She felt the same pulse of power of an Origin Rune from him. She searched his hands and pockets but nothing was there. The source wasn’t strong enough to be near. She lifted him up and swung his arm over her shoulder and held onto his waist as she hobbled to find Lay for help.


 

Kai, D.O and Se Hun rushed over to the defeated Yin, who was sitting just outside the clinic. “What happened?”

“Who’s in there?” They panted.

“Lu Han.” She answered. Their hearts stopped at the sound of his name. “I found him unconscious in the bathroom.”

“How? Why?” D.O asked.

“I don’t know, but I did see painkillers on the table. I hope it wasn’t it.” She held her head in her arms. Se Hun squatted in front of her and her noggin.

“Why would he do that?” Kai mumbled.

“Is he suicidal?” D.O wondered.

Before Kai could answer, the door slid open with Lay with grave eyes. “That’s not the case, Kyung Soo. It’s something much worse.”

In the clinic, there were sounds of the telekinetic’s heart rate echoing their ears. She stayed the closest by his side.

“He is alive but not here.”

“That makes no sense,” D.O drawled.

“It was difficult to come to a conclusion, but I can tell you my opinion. I think he is trapped within his own mind.” Yin’s felt like her blood ran dry at the thought of the torturous state. “All Argents with telekinetic abilities have a special realm in their subconscious called a Reverse World. It is a comfortable domain where they can relive their past memories even before obtaining their powers. It is also dangerous because if they change anything in their past, they would have to remain there until history is fixed.”

“Is that what he was doing?”

“Perhaps. Although, traveling through the Reverse World can take a toll on the host’s health.” Kai fit the pieces together and nodded. He recalled when he saw him in a sickly state. He looked away and closed his eyes. “I also took a diagnostic on his body and it is in critical condition. I could tell that he has been going there frequently. Lastly, if he doesn’t regain consciousness in less than twenty-four hours,” he paused.

“He will die.”

It was like a slap in the face for the four Argents. Tears were starting to spill on her face and she bit her bottom lip to prevent herself from making any noise.

“It’s late. Someone needs to stay with him.”

Yin was about to volunteer herself but Se Hun stopped her by grasping her hand. He noticed her tears and wiped them. He shook his head, telling her not to cry. He gave her hand a quick squeeze before switching places.

“It’s settled then. Se Hun will stay until tomorrow. We all have to leave and no missions will be assigned until further notice.” Lay said and they all nodded in approval.

D.O left the room first with an unreadable expression, trying to take it all in. Lay patted her shoulder, “Be strong for him.” She lowered her gaze to her shoes. She, Kai and Se Hun were the only ones left in the room. He held her hand with sad eyes and led her out. He teleported them to his room, and he sat her down on an armchair. He knelt in front of her.

“Yin,” he whispered.

“Isn’t there anything I can do?” She muttered. Kai didn’t answer.

“Isn’t there anything I can do after all he did for us?”

It was true. Lu Han brought most of the members together and became a huge benefactor to her. If it weren’t for him, Kai wouldn’t have been alive by now. He interlaced their fingers.

“Let’s just take Lay’s advice for now.”

“But I can’t stay and not do anything.” She argued.

“We don’t know where to start.” He raised his voice a little. She dropped her head and let out an angry growl. “I hate this,” she said quietly, but loud enough for him to hear.

“I know.”

“I hate being so helpless.”

Kai lifted her chin. “Don’t give up so easily. It's not like you.”

There was a long pause before she croaked, “I’ll try.”

“Don’t try. Just say that you won’t.”

She swallowed and said, “I won’t give up.” He smiled and hugged her to his chest.

“Tomorrow, we’ll think of something. We’ll have time.”

Something clicked within her. She pulled back and ran through her thoughts like she was trying to finish a race. “Time,” she repeated.

“That’s it!”

Before she could explain her idea, someone fervently knocked on the door.

“Kai!” D.O’s voice penetrated through. “Yeah?” He answered.

D.O opened the door and caught his breath.

“Good, Yin’s in here too.”

“What’s up?” He asked.

“There’s someone here looking for her. You gotta come down quick!” They got up and ran out of his room. They skipped steps down the stairs until they reached the lobby where a nostalgic figure was patiently waiting by the doors.

Yin skidded a stop. The first thing she saw was what he was holding in his hand. It was a familiar sword with a red tassel without a hilt.

“It has been quite some time.” He mused as he swiveled around to face her. “Hasn’t it?”

Yin let go of Kai’s hand and she couldn’t breathe. So many thoughts scrambled in her mind as she finally had an idea that could work for Lu Han. Time, she thought. Who else could be the expert?

“Who are you?” D.O asked while scratching his head. Kai eyed him.

“Oh, I apologize. I forgot to introduce myself to you two. I am a fellow EXO member, hailing from the Gunga Mountains: Wushu Master Huang Zi Tao - Zhang Yin’s master.”