Assassin

Loving You

 

It was still a fairly remote island, he mused as he took in the unchanging scene that greeted him two years back. This is the beauty of small island inhabitant, where keeping up wasn't of top priority and everything moved at a pace civilization had long thrown behind. Had he dropped by this little hideaway a few months earlier from his first mission, Kyuhyun might not be where he is today; holed up in a cramped crammed cubical that reeks far too often with cheap coffee and oily take-outs as he dedicates his life on one personal case, alongside many others... The reason he was back on this island once again.

 

Kyuhyun knew he shouldn't be too happy about his motive here but it didn't stop the grin from splitting his face when--luck was apparently favoring him that day-- he spotted the female who'd occupied his mind(whenever he wasn't speeding up brain cell degradation, which wasn't that often) in the three years since he left.

 

Sooyoung'd left her hair long as he'd suggested, Kyuhyun noted with pride as though she grew it out for him. Creeping up on the unsuspecting girl, Kyuhyun wasn't prepared for the hard jab to his gut as he released his hold around her, Sooyoung swiveling with surprisingly steady stance to face him. Her irate expression dropped only when she registered who he was, a beautiful smile lighting up those pixie face as she threw her weight at him, uncaring that she was midway through her transaction with the baker in town.

 

Chuckling, Kyuhyun easily caught the brunette in his arms, smiling at those he'd recognize and nodding at foreign faces. Sooyoung cupped his face in her hands, turning it all ways and once deeming him 'real', rushed off to finish her transaction before hooking arm with him. Sooyoung was like a hurricane when she chose to, questions tumbling from lips as she dragged them to the diner without consulting him(but he wouldn't have mind one bit when it comes to her anyway).

 

Kyuhyun noted the bread and vegetables in her arms and conclude her canned goods were still selling well. About to make his order, Kyuhyun hid his grin when Sooyoung took over, clearlu remembering what he liked. He took that as a good sign and watched while Sooyoung ordered light snacks for them before turning her attention back to him.

 

"I thought you died." That startled a laugh out from him when Kyuhyun thought he'd forgotten how to and clasped her hands between his.

 

"If I weren't already a detective when I first came here, you would have already settled down with me." Kyuhyun was pleased with the faint blush on her cheeks, squeezing her slim fingers before letting go.

 

Kyuhyun thought he heard a soft denial before she turned the question back to him.

 

"I'm looking for someone, actually. I've Intel that he's been hiding out here for a month or so. Though he isn't exactly on the official black list, I had a personal interest in hunting him down. It was smart of him to settle in a remote island like yours, small enough that it wouldn't be on our main radar to check. He's a highly skilled assassin whom I've been tracking down for years. Sooyoung, have you heard of the name Shim Chang Min?"

 

Her blood ran cold even before Kyuhyun spoke the name and she cursed herself when his eyes sharpened on her and she knew dread was clear on her face. Kyuhyun's a detective and could easily read the little nuance on a person but Sooyoung had her own past when she easily donned the mask of indifference, her cover story planned when she replied.

 

"Never heard of this name though it does sound familiar? He might have dropped by, but you know I don't stay in town long enough to register the gossips spreading around. A foreign face may be huge news to everyone else but you know me. You might have better luck with the locals." She quietly breathed a sigh of relief when the waitress came with their food, interrupting whatever Kyuhyun was about to say.

 

Despite the churning in her stomach, Sooyoung dug in with relish, her eyes looking at anywhere but Kyuhyun. When he knew Sooyoung wasn't going to be able to speak anytime soon, Kyuhyun stabbed at the fries and took a sip of his de-caffeinated(finally) milkshake, letting the rich flavor hit his system while he watch the slim brunette throw all her focus to the food before her, clearly avoiding his gaze even in the intervals of her chewing. She knew something, that much Kyuhyun would bet his entire fortune on, but why isn't she telling him about it? Something else tugged at him; the way Sooyoung masked her surprise with such ease as she lied without batting an eyelash. He still feels the ache from her attack a while back and he remembered how she had really weak physique.

 

Sooyoung knew that brain were piecing information together and she surprised herself even, the instinct not to spill Changmin out to Kyuhyun. A man who barely spoke more than a few sentences to her each day, disappears to god knows where after lunch and appears slightly before sunset to sit by the beach, moans from home-cooked food as though it was drops of heaven and always locks up the front door before turning in, in a place where locking up was almost frowned upon. A male whom she only knew his name in the month of his stay, to another who is a friend, and she chose to help Changmin instead.

 

Changmin might have poisoned her but that could only be possible if he cooked their meals. He don't; which leads to one conclusion. Sooyoung either busted her head that morning when she'd walked into Changmin half- in the bathroom or, she looked out at the leisure pace of the local, that she was going by the old code she should have forgotten.

 

No matter the situation, when it's against the authority, we stick together.

 

"Oppa, you're staying at Tiffany's bed and breakfast aren't you? I'll catch up with you tomorrow? I still have a few work to catch up on." Emptying the remaining milkshake in one sip, Sooyoung swipe the napkin across her lips in one smooth motion and was out of the diner with a quick wave.

 

Her steps were casual as she ambled away from the diner, only turning to a light jog when she rounded the corner and was out of Kyuhyun's sight. Sooyoung didn't know where the urgency stemmed from, or the dread for that matter, but she knew she didn't like the appearance of both Changmin and Kyuhyun on this island at the same time. She didn't know Changmin's first name or what he did for a living yet it wasn't rocket science to know that he was the one Kyuhyun talked about. An assassin. Who would've thought, except Sooyoung did notice how his eyes were always on the alert as he scanned his surrounding restlessly as though memorizing every crook and cranny of the room(and also every single possible escape route), the silent movement as he glide almost like a ghost on light foot and the knife she knew he hid by his lower back, concealed with loose tee shirt.

 

Her cottage came to view and she almost ran the remaining distance just to keep a semblance of peace she knew was about to shatter when Kyuhyun starts on his search. Her eyes sharpened as she searched for the presence of Changmin around the premise and only when her instinct told her she was alone in the cottage did she relax a little. Dumping her groceries on the table, Sooyoung headed for the bathroom with hurried stride before locking herself in.

 

She flushed down whatever she'd ingested moments ago.