Chapter Four

Like Clapping with One Hand

She walked through the door with a strut only she could pull off as Simon stared at her with an open mouth. He has never, for as long as he could remember, seen anyone as graceful as her or as beautiful. She was like a breath of fresh air in this dump they called office, and he had never been happier to get up and go to work like today. She was the epitome of a perfect woman, and he knew without a doubt that she was what he had been looking for all this while. Nothing could compare to a goddess like her, and he had to, even if he died trying, though that would definitely defeat the purpose, make her his. The big question now is, how? He could use his charm on her, but she was not like the bimbos he used to fool around with. She was much more sophisticated, so the chase would be difficult, extremely difficult.

“Dude, stop drooling. What the hell are you staring at?” Zoey asked, slapping the side of his head soundly.

“Hey! Do you always have to resort to such violence?” He grumbled, annoyed that she had disturbed him in the middle of formulating a plan.

Zoey stared at him weirdly and scoffed. “What’s wrong with you? PMS-ing or something?”

“If you must know, I was thinking about something.”

“You can think?!” Zoey sarcastically asked him before she giggled out loud. “Dude, that’s like asking the elephants to dance on their hind legs and wiggle their butts. Funny and impossible.”

“I wasn’t asking your opinion.” Simon huffed.

“You are one pissy man today aren’t you?” Zoey snickered. “Ok ok, anything I can help you with?”

“So, she’s a reporter?” Simon asked, pointing at Chloe who was standing not very far away from them, talking to a cameraman.

“Yup.” Zoey nodded her head. “Mr. Yang plans to do an online reporting on important games and stuff so he hired her to do the job. I’ve seen her work. She’s actually quite good.”

“C’mon Zoey, do you really think she’s that good? I mean, I doubt she has any clues on what she’s reporting.” Simon scoffed, not quite sure why he was picking on her.

“What makes you say that?”

“She doesn’t look like she knows anything about sport! Look at her perfect hair and manicured nails. She’s not fit for the job. She’s-“

“What? Beautiful? Hot?” Zoey smirked. “I thought you like those kinda girls.”

“Not the point. The point is-“

“I’ll have you know that I entered university with an athletic scholarship.” Chloe interrupted, having heard their conversation. She suddenly appeared beside Simon, her hands on her hips.

He turned around to face her and chuckled, hiding the fact that he was mesmerised by the way the pink colour tinged her cheeks. “Really? What kind of scholarship? Who can paint their nails the fastest?”

Chloe narrowed her eyes at him and with one swift motion, had his head in a death grip. The fear in his eyes was evident, and Zoey, watching from the sideline, laughed in glee. She had never managed to put him in his place before and to see someone actually doing it was a miracle.

“Taekwondo. Black belt.” Chloe whispered, her voice dangerously low. “If I were you, I wouldn’t criticize me so much. I mean, you never know just when I might kick you real hard. Unless of course, you wish for impotency.”

Simon gulped and shook his head, having nothing but pure admiration and respect for Chloe. Girls would usually throw themselves at him, just waiting for him to pleasure them. But not Chloe. She was not easy to persuade. She had a good head on her shoulders, and he could see himself spending some good quality time with her. He fell for her then, the first girl to ever refuse his advances. He knew he didn't do it the right way. Flattery was often the way to go, but he just did not know what to say when it came to someone like Chloe. He supposed what he said came out wrong, and he probably deserved the threat she threw at him.

“Marry me...” He breathed once she let go of him.

Chloe looked at him strangely. “Are you sick or something? Was my grip too hard?”

“Please, just marry me.” He said, still staring dreamy eyed at the woman of his dreams.

“You’re delusional.” Chloe said before walking away.

“Dude, you ok?” Zoey asked, waving her hand in front of Simon’s face.

“I have to marry her Zoey.” Simon said in a daze.

Zoey laughed. “Oh-kay big guy. Why don't you keep dreaming? In the meantime, we have work to do. C’mon, we have to go for an interview.”

“I’m telling you Zoey, she’s totally in love with me.” Simon said as they walked out the door.

“Keep telling yourself that okay? Here’s a thought, maybe if you say it often enough, it’ll actually come true!” Zoey replied, sarcasm dripping from every word.

“I’m right you know.” Simon said as they walked back to the office once the interview was over.

“About what?” Zoey asked, munching on her sandwich.

“She’s in love with me.” Simon stated.

“Oh my God, we’re still there?” Zoey exclaimed incredulously. “You really need to get your head checked out.”

“You’re just jealous.” Simon said when they finally returned.

“And why the hell would I be?”

“Because I found my soul mate before you.”

“You said the same thing for the last ten girls you dated!” Zoey loudly said, shaking her head. “Look dude, I got no time for your imaginary romance ok? I’m gonna go meet the boss. I’ll see you later.”

She walked off then, still shaking her head. That guy was not just delusional, he was plain crazy. How did he come to such a conclusion? Was he blind or something? He had his head too far up his , that was why he couldn't see the truth. She nodded her head then, thinking that it was the most plausible explanation that best fit the current situation they were in. Chloe had been nothing but hostile towards him, not to mention he had only known her for a mere 48 hours. It definitely was not enough to tell if someone was your soul mate or not, at least in her opinion.

"Simon, when are you going to find yourself a girlfriend?"

"C'mon Zoey, I told you. There's no one like her in this place."

"Who's her?"

"Her! The one all guys stare at when she so much as flick her hair! The one that can light up a room with just a smile, the one who can trigger something in my heart... her."

"Trigger what in your heart?"

The conversation she had with him months ago came to mind and she stopped short. Could Chloe be the ‘her’ that he talked about? Was that why he had been acting weird around her? Did she trigger something in his heart? Goodness knows what she triggered though. For all she knew, he could be just mentally unstable, she could never tell when it came to him.

When she came back from the boss’ room, she saw Simon talking to Chloe. The atmosphere was different this time around, and Chloe was wearing a smile so kind that it was as if she never threatened him earlier that day. Zoey furrowed her brow. What happened while she was in the room? She saw him pulling something out from his pocket, and realised that it was the bracelet he bought earlier while they were walking back to the office.

She felt a sharp pain in her heart when he gave Chloe that bracelet, and she clutched her shirt, wondering why she felt such emotion for the first time in her life. It was just a bracelet, it held no significance whatsoever, so why did her heart hurt?

For as long as you guys have been friends, Simon never gave you anything like that. You’re not hurt, you’re jealous...

It was not true. The small little voice in her head was lying, it had to be. Why would she be jealous? Simon was no one special. Simon was just Simon, just Simon.  


Chapter Posted on: Aug. 6. 2013

Another chapter up! Hope you guys like this one! ^^