Chapter Three

Like Clapping with One Hand

Zoey glanced at the magazine on her table, wondering if she should flip to the romance section. It was tempting, but it wasn’t a habit she wanted the world to know. She was a sports journalist; she wasn’t supposed to be reading the romance section. But every human being has a guilty pleasure, and unfortunately for her, reading about other people’s love stories was hers. She realised that it was kind of sad, but she had nothing to lose. She had nothing to compare to anyway...

She looked around and upon finding no one near, grabbed the magazine. Quickly, she flipped to the romance section before Simon had the chance to make an appearance. If he knew, she’ll never hear the end of it...

After a while she sighed, her eyes dreamy. This month, it was the ‘Sweet Love’ edition and there was nothing sweeter than the stories she just read. Why can’t all men be like the ones in the magazine? Why can’t they look past her tomboyish looks and see how feminine she actually was? Why was looks so important to guys anyway?

“Watcha doing there?”

She jumped literally in her seat and quickly hid the magazine underneath the pile of photos on her desk, before smiling at Simon, hiding the fact that she was secretly throwing daggers through his head. Trust him to always ruin the moment. Can’t a girl just daydream for a while?

“What’s that you’re hiding?” He asked, peering over her shoulder, trying to catch a glimpse of the magazine.

“Nothing.” Zoey replied, shoving him roughly. “Dude, just go away.”

“But I thought we’re supposed to do a report on last night’s game.” Simon said, taking the seat in front of her. “Are you ok Zoe? You look like I just caught you doing something illegal. Oh my God, don't tell me you were looking at !”

“Yah! I’m not you ok?” Zoey exclaimed, horrified. “I don't... look at stuff like that!”

“Maybe you should.” Simon drawled. He leaned in and wriggled one finger, instructing her to lean in as well. She did so curiously, and raised her eyebrow at him.

“What?”

“When was the last time you got any action?” He whispered.

Zoey blushed, her cheeks redder than the red apple on her desk. Oh, the humiliation! How dare he asked her such a question?!

She slapped the side of his head soundly, and leaned back into her chair, watching in triumph as he rubbed his head in pain. Serves him right! Yes, they were best friends! But how could he ask her that so blatantly?

“Ok, I’ll take that as never.” He said.

“Just shut up. I don't need to explain myself to you.” Zoey said, focusing her eyes once again on her computer screen.

“Hey! No need to get your knickers in a bunch! I was just joking.” Simon replied defensively.

Zoey sighed. “Can we just get on with the report?”

They worked on the report quite peacefully, but she couldn't really focus all her attention on it. Her mind kept flying to the question Simon asked, interrupting with her work. She knew he didn't mean any harm with what he just asked, but she couldn't help feeling a little hurt.

Forget action, she couldn't even get guys to spare her a second glance. Their eyes would always sweep past her, like she was just another lamppost, another tree on the sidewalk. Sometimes, she felt as if she was invisible to all the guys out there. She might as well be, considering how she didn't know anyone from the opposite besides Simon. She didn't think she was ugly, but was she that unattractive?

“Simon, what do you see in a girl?” She asked when curiosity got the best of her. The girls in the stories she just read, they couldn't all be attractive. But they have boyfriends who love them no matter what, why couldn't she have that too?

“, s, ...” Simon replied absent-mindedly.

Zoey rolled her eyes. “Ok, what do other guys see in a girl?” She asked again, emphasizing the word ‘other’.

Simon looked up from the photos he was looking at and scrutinized his friend’s face. “Why are you suddenly asking me this?”

“I don't know. I’m just wondering.” She replied with a nonchalant shrug. In truth though, she was just dying to know. “It can’t all be about looks right?” She added hesitantly.

Simon nodded his head in comprehension, finally understanding what she was trying to say. He grabbed her hand and gave it a squeeze. “Don’t worry Zoey ah, when the time comes, you’ll find someone.”

“What?” Zoey sputtered, retracting her hand and waving it carelessly, as if to dismiss his statement. “I was not talking about me. I was just wondering, that’s all.”

“Sure you were.” Simon replied, going back to the pile of photos strewed in front of him.

Zoey opened and closed like a fish out of water, staring at the top of Simon’s head. She really shouldn’t have asked. She should’ve known he would know. He knew everything about her.

Before she could open to argue, a flowery scent filled her nostrils. She turned her head to the side, and jumped in surprise upon finding someone standing by her desk. She stood up and smiled at the female stranger.

“Hi, can I help you?” She asked her politely. She couldn't help noticing how beautiful the visitor was. Her body was just in the right proportions, and she bit back the urge to cry. Why does everyone look like a supermodel but her?!

“I’m looking for Mr. Yang’s office.” She replied softly.

“The fat, bald guy? Why are you looking for him when I’m standing right here?” Simon cut in with a flirtatious smile.

Zoey rolled her eyes. She was about to reach across the table to slap him again, when the visitor spoke up, wearing a smile similar to Simon’s.

“Sorry, what did you call him? Fat? Bald?”

“Mm-hmm. He’s also gross and ugly.” Simon added. “I on the other hand, seem to be just perfect for you.” He continued with a wink.

“Yah! What the hell are you saying?!” Zoey tried to shriek with her lips sealed. She was embarrassed, not only for her, but for him as well. How could he say all that without puking? Did he practice this at home?

The door to the boss’s office suddenly flew open, and out walked Mr. Yang himself. The visitor caught sight of him and ran to him, throwing her hands around him for a hug. Simon watched sceptically.

“Really? How can someone like him get someone like her?” Simon whispered to Zoey.

“Shut up.”

“Sweetheart! When did you get back? Why didn't you call?” Mr. Yang said excitedly, holding the visitor at arm’s length.

“I wanted it to be a surprise.” She replied with a laugh.

“Ahh! Zoey! Simon! Let me introduce you to my daughter, Chloe.” Mr. Yang said proudly.

Simon’s face paled while Zoey laughed gleefully. “D-daughter sir?” Simon stuttered.

Chloe grinned. “What was that you said about daddy earlier? Fat? Bald? Gross? Ugly?”

“What?! He said what?!” Mr. Yang exploded.

“N-no sir!” Simon quickly cut in, trying to fix his misfortune. “I said, handsome and kind!”

Mr. Yang narrowed his eyes at him before walking away, his daughter in tow. Simon heaved a sigh of relief while Zoey burst into laughter. She had never seen Simon so scared before and it was hilarious. Better than the dancing monkey she saw on TV a while ago anyway.

“I am so dead.” Simon said as he placed his head on Zoey’s shoulder.

Zoey patted his cheek, her smile intact. “You so are, my dear boy.”


Chapter Posted on: Jul. 25. 2013

Ahh! So sorry for posting this sooo late! But here's the next chapter! Hope it's satisfactory enough! Please enjoy! Thanks for commenting and subscribing! Keep them coming ok? =D Love you guys!!!!