Chapter One

Like Clapping with One Hand

Zoey stared blankly at her computer screen, her hair and thoughts in disarray. She had no idea how to start... Why did her boss give her such a difficult article to write? How was she to write a full two pages on his favourite idol group? She was a sports journalist for goodness sake! She rubbed her eyes groggily before reaching out for her coffee mug. It was going to be a long night and she needed the kick that she knew only caffeine can provide.

 A sigh escaped her lips when she found her cup empty. She eyed the pantry and wondered how many steps it was going to take her to get there. Yes, she was that lazy. If there was a sudden earthquake, she wouldn’t bother getting out of her chair to hide under the table. She would just sit there, still staring at the screen. She wished the article would write itself. Wouldn’t that make her life easier?

Unable to take it anymore, she stood up and made her way to the pantry. She had decided that no matter how far it was, she needed the coffee. Whether she fell asleep or not, she was still going to spend her night at the office.

Her jaw dropped open and she rolled her eyes when she saw him inside making out with a girl, his hands on places they shouldn’t be. Seriously? Was he for real? Last time she caught him in the supply room and now in the pantry? She slapped the back of his head soundly and he groaned in pain before turning to look at her, his expression murderous.

“What the hell Zoey?!” He shouted.

“What the hell what? What the hell are you doing here? I thought you went home!” She yelled back.

“Uhh... Simon. Who’s this?” The other girl asked as she fixed her shirt.

“No no no! I’m supposed to ask that! Who is this Simon? Tina? Mona? Lily?” Zoey smirked. “No, wait a minute! Weren’t you with Lily yesterday? This couldn't be Lily then.”

“What?!” The girl screeched. She raised her hand and her palm landed on Simon’s cheek, the sound resounding throughout the pantry.

Zoey couldn't help laughing at the expression on Simon’s face, and she watched in glee as the girl walked away, leaving Simon speechless.

“Are you ok?” Zoey grinned.

“Go away! And thanks a lot for ruining my night!” Simon grumbled as he rubbed his already bruised cheek.

“Do you have to do this at the office? I caught you twice! What happens if the boss finds out?” Zoey asked, filling her cup with black coffee.

Simon scoffed. “That fat bald guy? Please, he wouldn’t know anything even if I do it in front of him! In fact, I bet he’d even eat popcorn and watch us in fascination!” He continued with a snicker.

“You’re an idiot.” Zoey said, shaking her head. “Can’t you take them home? Or to a cheap motel? Anywhere but here dude! It’s disturbing!”

“Well...” Simon started, draping his arm around Zoey’s shoulder. “I can take them to a cheap motel... provided that you give me the money.”

“Over my dead body.” Zoey replied, sticking her tongue out. “Tell you what, why don't I make a deal with you?”

“A deal?”

“Basketball. Tomorrow evening, 5 o’clock. If I win, you have to stop chasing all these stupid girls. If you win...”

“You’ll lend me some money?” Simon asked excitedly.

Zoey punched his shoulder and poked his cheek. “Not a dime Simon, not a dime. And don't think you’ll win. You never won against me before, why now?”

“Hey! I’ve won before!”

“Oh yeah? When?” Zoey asked, raising her eyebrow. “Exactly.” She added smugly when Simon gave no reply.

“I promise you I’ll win this time!” Simon said in determination, his fist in the air. “So what will you give me if I win? And don’t give me any crap!”

“I’ll... rent a room for you for one night in that hotel down the street. You can have as many girls as you like and you can even do all of them... if you have it in you of course.” Zoey smirked.

“Deal.” Simon smiled. “And if you really want to know, I have a lot in me.”

“Eww! Simon! You’re disgusting! I didn't wanna know ok?” Zoey exclaimed, pushing him away. She made her way out the pantry, Simon following suit.

“Ahh... But I saw that flicker of curiosity in your eyes. You were thinking, why do all girls fall for Simon? What do they see in him? Let me tell you something. What they don’t see is what they’re looking for...” He said, a hint of arrogance on his tone.

Zoey made a face at him and gagged. “Oh dear almighty Simon, when are you going to get it into your thick skull that not all girls are willing to fall at your feet and your shoes?”

“Ahh... But they do Zoey... They do.”

“Well, I’m certainly not one of them!” Zoey said indignantly.

“You’re a girl?!” Simon said, his eyes wide with surprise.

She slapped his elbow and nudged him out of her way. “Shut up and get lost! Just leave me the hell alone! I have one more article to write and chatting with you is just not going to get it done.”

Simon laughed before pulling her into a hug. “Aww c’mon. Don’t be mad. You know I love you right? I’ll be on the couch if you need me...”

“Aren’t you gonna go home?”

“How can I possibly leave my best friend here alone in the middle of the night? I’ll keep you company.” He said, a genuine smile on his face.

Zoey shook her head at his retreating back, her smile matching his. Yes, he could be a sometimes, but no matter how much of an he is, he was still her best friend. They had met during their first day in high school, and had been inseparable since. Many girls had come and gone from his side, but she remained. She was glad though, for she didn't know what she would do without him... Or rather, what he’d do without her...

The smile remained on her lips as she watched his sleeping face. One thing was for sure though, what in the world do other girls see in him? Simon was just Simon to her... Just Simon. 

 


 

Chapter Posted on: Feb. 26. 2013

First chapter up! By the way, I changed the setting! Not university anymore, work place! =) Please enjoy! I hope you guys like it! Thanks for subscribing even without reading the first chap! I looove you guys! Keep the comments coming ok? And if you like it, please vote! =D