Yuri

You make my life complete [Sequel to MISTAKE]

1/3

*********

 

 

(OH! MY SCHOOL FLASHBACK)

 

Yuri was behind the door, waiting for the PD’s signal for her to come in the classroom. She wasn’t supposed to be in the show today but since Hongki flew to Japan for their Japan debut, Lee Soo Man told her to fill in for the singer.

 

LSM: Minho will be there, too. It’s a good chance to increase the Minyul fans, you know.

 

YURI: but..

 

LSM: but what, Yuri?

 

She wanted to say no and let Jessica guest instead but Soo Man’s eyes were boring into hers and she knew he would be disappointed if she declined his offer.

 

YURI: won’t I be with another member?

 

Soo Man shook his head.

 

LSM: Oh! My School’s PD specifically asked me to choose only one from my stars. The other seats in the show are taken already so, no, you will be there by yourself. Besides, Minho is there to accompany you anyway.

 

Yuri sighed and opened the set’s door. She plastered her smile and adjusted her eyes to the brightness of the room. When her face was clear to the people on set, they immediately welcomed her and she let herself in. Yuri recognized Toni, Kyunglim, Myungsoo, Min, SimonD and of course, Minho. The other guests were unknown to her but still she bowed to everyone.

 

She recalled reading from the script that she has to introduce herself after getting to the center with the hosts of the show. Fake personality with Minho starts now.

 

YURI: Annyeonghaseyo! I am Yuri from Girls’ Generation.

 

After some funny moments, Minho spoke up and suggested her to dance.

 

MH: You have a new song, right?

 

So she showed her pearly whites and danced the chorus part of ‘Hoot’.

 

All throughout the show, she allowed Minho to converse with her and spend time with her. But deep inside, she was trying to keep the pain in her heart to herself until the cameras stopped rolling. It was early evening by the time they were done recording and Yuri took out her phone to call her manager oppa.

 

YR: Oppa, we’re done with recording. Can you pick me up now?

 

Manager: Yuri, I’m so sorry but the van is being used by Jessica and Sunny.

 

YR:  What?? But oppa, it’s getting dark and Min and the others have gone home already.

 

Manager: Don’t worry; I have made arrangements with Minho’s manager earlier. He’ll drop you off at your dorm.

 

Yuri wanted to scream and disobey her manager but since she has no other choice…

 

YR: *sigh* Arasso, oppa.

 

Manager: That’s my girl. Okay, text me when you get to the dorm okay?

 

YR: Nae.

 

Click!

 

Yuri zipped up her jacket and walked towards the only van left in the parking lot: SHINee’s van. Their manager was already waiting for her, holding the door open for her. Yuri thanked him and her smile was gone immediately after seeing Minho in the van. He was fortunately seated at the back and she chose the seat behind the manager.

 

In one part of the recording, she and Minho were instructed by the script writers of the special number they should perform together. They had to sing ‘Summer Nights’ from the classic musical Grease and in the end part of the scene, they should fake kissing each other on the lips by using a camera trick.

 

Yuri had always composed herself and her acting skills improved whenever Minho’s around and when they’re in public. But today, she let herself break the walls she built around him in that short singing and dancing number. Yuri had poured out a part of her emotions in that song number and she prayed that Minho didn’t notice.

 

She was mad and frustrated with herself for letting her emotions waver and weaken her strong resolve in acting around with him. She was frustrated by the fact that her heart was beating abnormally fast during the fake kiss scene because Minho had been staring deeply into her eyes. If she hadn’t broken the eye contact, she feared she would have melted right into his arms. And if he hadn’t released his hold on her, she would have shown to the world how much she missed his arms.

 

 In that one special performance, she had showed her old self, the one that she used to be with Minho in her love life.

 

Yuri closed her eyes and leaned her head on the window, trying to keep herself calm. It was always hard for her whenever Minho was around because the pain she felt when he broke up with her was still fresh to her. The reason why she trained in SM to be a star was partly because of her talents but it was mainly because she wanted to keep Minho off her mind.

 

She had successfully done so…until the announcement of the new groups to be debuted. That was when she noticed and realized that Minho was also a trainee in SM. Yuri had wanted to ditch her career and go back to the normal school but Lee Soo Man didn’t allow her to drop. He had seen so much potential in her which was why he didn’t allow her to drop out of the group.

 

Meanwhile on the other part of the car, Minho was seated behind Yuri. He was staring at the crown of her head, trying to figure out what exactly is going through in her mind right now. She had treated him earlier in the recording like how she used to treat him and he regretted having high hopes that it’ll be the same after recording.

 

He had waited for her outside the school building after the OMS recording, hoping to have a chat with her but when she walked out of the building, Yuri didn’t even notice he was there at the door. Minho tried not to show his frown, because the staff was still packing up so he walked to his van and waited for his manager to drive him to the dorm.

 

SHINee’s Manager looked at the kids through his rearview mirror and raised a brow.

 

Manager: Hey, kids. Why are you so silent back there? Why is the atmosphere a bit awkward when the two of you were both enthusiastic earlier at recording?

 

Yuri opened her eyes and smiled at him.

 

YR: I’m just tired from the whole day recording, oppa.

 

The manager nodded.

 

Manager: Arasso, Yuri. Oi, Minho!

 

MH: Nae, hyung?

 

Manager: Wake her up when we arrive at their dorm, okay?

 

Minho glanced at her but Yuri didn’t look back.

 

MH: Arasso, hyung.

 

The ride towards SNSD’s dorm was silent so the manager had to turn the radio on and thankfully, the station played bossa music.

 

When they arrived, Minho opened the door for Yuri but she ignored him, thanked the manager and jumped out of the van. Minho watched as she walked through the automatic glass doors without even bothering to look back at him.

 

(END OF FLASHBACK)

**********

 

(Present – 2013 @ SNSD dorm)

 

“Ah! I’m so tired.” Jessica exclaimed after arriving at their dorm. She immediately took off her shoes and ran to her room to get her beauty sleep. The girls have been from a radio show and it was half passed 2 in the morning.

 

Yoona, Sooyoung, Sunny, Seohyun and Tiffany followed Jessica and went to their shared rooms to sleep meanwhile Taeyeon, Yuri, and Hyoyeon went to the living room to watch tv.

 

“Ya, I heard SHINee had performed their goodbye stage for Dream Girl,” Hyoyeon grinned, turning the tv on and switching the channel where Music Bank was aired.

 

Taeyeon nodded. “I saw their performances and boy have they grown! They have improved so much individually and as a group, too.”

 

“Ah! Here it is.” Hyoyeon turned the volume up and they watched as the MC’s called out their hoobae’s names. The music played and the girls watched as SHINee performed yet another perfect stage.

 

“This brings back memories!” Hyoyeon laughed. “I still remember the time those kids were still trainees and I used to teach Taemin and Minho to improve their dancing skills.”

 

There was an awkward pause in the atmosphere and Taeyeon nudged Hyoyeon’s arm. Yuri looked down on her lap and bit her lip. “Hyoyeon unnie… you saw Minho oppa before we debuted?”

 

Hyoyeon’s eyes widened. “Yes but I didn’t know about you and him at that time. I promise, Yuri, I was only teaching them how to improve their dance skills and---”

 

Yuri raised her head and laughed at her sister. “What are you talking about unnie? I was implying that you were going out with him.”

 

Taeyeon placed her arm around Yuri’s shoulder.

 

“I just… feel like a stupid person.” Yuri frowned. “Why hadn’t I noticed him during our trainee days? I only realized he was in SM when his group was announced to be the next group to debut. I really am a fool.”

 

“Yuri..” Taeyeon and Hyoyeon looked at each other, not knowing what to say.

 

“It’s been 5 years, unnie.” Yuri looked at her sisters; pain was clear from her eyes. “Our onscreen couple, Minyul… it has lived for 5 years until today.”

 

Hyoyeon gave Yuri a comforting pat on the back before leaving Taeyeon to talk to her in private.

 

“Unnie…”

 

Taeyeon smiled at her and took Yuri in her arms. “I know you have been trying to keep your feelings inside for the past 5 years, Yuri. But you have been getting hurt and I don’t want to see you like this anymore.”

 

“I have been in pain for five whole years, unnie.” Yuri sobbed, finally getting the chance to spill out her bottled up emotions. “Did you know how hard it was for me to act all cutesy and friendly with Minho oppa onscreen?”

 

Taeyeon shook her head.

 

“And it didn’t end there!” Yuri continued. “The new CEO even told us that we should appear close for the fans even during the SMtown concerts! Can you imagine how the pain doubled, no, tripled in my heart, unnie?”

 

“Of course not.” Taeyeon sighed and handed her a handkerchief. Yuri blew her nose into the handkerchief and her unnie waited for her to calm down.

 

“Do you know the reason why I am still hurting so much until now, unnie? It’s because… I’m still in love with him. I am still deeply in love with him even if he dumped me years ago. I…still love Choi Minho.”

 

“Kwon Yuri…”

 

“Unnie…I don’t think I can keep on pretending anymore.”