Unbelievable

It's You

This morning was the worst morning ever. My alarm clock turned out to be out of battery, which made me wake up late. As I scrambled to take a quick shower, I slipped on the wet bathroom floor and hit my head on the sink, causing me to get a small lump on the side of my head. I got dressed And brushed my hair as fast as lightning, then went downstairs to see that there was no bread, no cereal. Which means no quick breakfast, and I had 5 minutes to reach the last train that would reach on time to school. I sprinted to the station as fast as I could, earning looks from the people I passed by, and reached the train right when it was about to close. A part of my bag got caught between the doors and I pulled as hard as I could as it got off with a 'Pop!'. I got looks again from people inside the train, but I was too exhausted to care so I just leaned near the door while panting from all the running before. Jihae went off before me, which means–topping off my bad morning–, Zelo did too.

I was pretty sure Jihae tried to wake me up though, but she knew that I couldn't wake up without my alarm clock, so she probably gave up on her tenth try.

I ran to school, racing against time and reached right when the bell was about to ring. I opened the sliding door harshly, causing everyone to stare at my direction. I felt my cheeks getting rosy as stared at the ground in embarrassment. I walked over to my seat in silence with people's eyes still fixed on me before finally going back to whatever they were doing. I let out a big sigh and pouted to myself, thinking of how ugly my morning was. I glanced to my side and saw a blank expression painted on the most cheerful person I have ever met. He didn't seem to be paying attention to anything. Not to Mr. Lee, not to the surroundings, nothing. I didn't even think he realized I was there sitting right next to him. He just had almost no, or nearly sad expression painted across his face and looked like he was deep in thoughts.

Guess I'm not the only one with a bad morning.

The next few periods went by with him spacing out more than he should, and him getting scolded for it. Something is definitely up. But I don't know what though. He looked upset, troubled. Like he just heard some extremely sad news or something. I wanted to ask what was wrong, but the bell rang when I was just about to open my mouth and he straight up walked out the door to his class just like that. I really want to know what's up now.

I moved to the seat next to Daehyun as always and started to ask questions reagrding my bench partner while waiting for the teacher to arrive. 

"Good morning." I greeted him as I dragged the chair next to him back to sit myself down.

"Morning to you too." He greeted back with a smile.

"Do you feel something's wrong with Zelo this morning?" I asked in concern.

"Hm? I didn't really pay attention though, but he does seem rather down.." He answered.

"Right? When I sat next to him just now, he seemed completely zoned out. Like he wasn't paying any attention to his surroundings-or anything at all in that matter."

"Maybe he just had a tough morning." Daehyun said to comfort me.

"Maybe.. But you know I'm just worried that's all." I replied, concern still written all over my face.

"I know Chae, but maybe it's personal problems." He rubbed circles around my back to calm me down. "Don't worry, I'm sure he'll be fine by next period." Daehyun smiled.

I nodded and smiled back. "Yeah Dae.. You're right." I said. "Thanks." Daehyun nodded just when the teacher came in to start the lesson.

 

 ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

 

Soon the period ended, and Zelo came back just when I stood up from the seat next to Daehyun to return to my original seat. He still had that look plastered across his face as he rested his head on his desk. I, in concern once again, decided to as him what was bothering him so much. To which he replied, "It's nothing, I'm fine." With a fake smile plastered on his face. At first I didn't buy it and kept pushing the question, saying I might be able to help, but he insisted that it wasn't important and that he just stayed up late from playing too much video games and he's just tired. I stopped questioning after that, I still didn't buy it though, but he seemed like he really didn't want to talk about the problem.

He continued looking down for the next periods but kept a happy face when he's with his friends or when one of his friends told a joke or something. I for one could clearly see that it was a fake smile though. Zelo didn't show up during lunch today, he went outside somewhere. Maybe to my unnie, but he didn't bring his lunch with him so I figured he's going somewhere quiet. Maybe the roof, or just the top floor balcony to avoid anyone else being there with him since there was Daehyun on the roof. Nevertheless I stayed in class and ate with Hyobin.

"Do you know what's up with Zelo today?" I asked Hyobin.

"Eh? What's wrong with him?" She asked back.

"I don't know..He seems kind of down today."

"Hmm.. Yeah now that you think of it." Hyobin replied as she munched on her food.

"Do you know what could've been wrong? Like maybe this morning? Since I was late I didn't catch the same train as he did." I questioned her.

She stopped to think for a couple of secconds then looked as if she remembered something.

"Come to think of it, I saw him this morning exiting the train with your sister, but already had a slight look of sadness on his face." She said. "Then, instead of walking to school with her, they seperated ways after your sister said sorry to him and he walked alone while your sister went with her friends."

I paused for a while, thinking of what Hyobin just told me.

So it had something to do with my sister? Did he confess and get rejected or something? I mean, he does like her. Right? If this is the problem, then why do I feel somehow hurt too.. To know that he ikes her that much that he got all gloomy for the whole day when this happened..

"I see.." I replied. "Thanks for the information." I grinned.

"Sure, anytime." She said while chugging down some water. She paused for a bit before saying something again. "You wanna hear another news? It'll get your concern off for just a split moment." She said excitedly in a low vioce. This fished my curiosity, so I nodded. "But it isn't about Zelo, it's about Yongguk."

"...Go on.." I eyed her in curiosity, a little smirk curling from my lips because I knew this was going to be good news. Good news about her crush.

She paused for a split second and took a deep breath and let it out and said

 

"He asked me out."

 

I almost squealed.

I was held back by Hyobin's hand covering my mouth. I pushed it aside and squaled in a lower vioce. 

"Are you serious?! When? How? Where? Tell me. Now." I blabbered all at once. She laughed at my reaction and told me to calm down, which I did none of.

"It was yesterday right after school! Remember I didn't go with you and the others when you went home?" She said. I nodded eagerly for her to continue on with her story. "He told me to wait in class until everyone has left, so I did just that and it turns out, he confessed to me!" My lips curled up into a smile on their own as she went on.

"After I told him I fel the same way, he immediately hugged me, then took me to the park near the school and we ended up sitting there for hours, talking, playing with the grass, watching the little kids there running around everywhere, almost like an unofficial first date!" She said excitedly.

Nothing could stop my wide grins and giggles after that. I knew she's been crushing on him since forever and I'm just really happy that things finally worked out for her. Things are going great for everyone. Like for Sunhwa and Youngjae, Jieun and that co-worker of hers, and even Hyobin and Yongguk now. I'm happy for every single one of them. Although..I do wonder when it's my turn to be happy just like they are.. Zelo's heart is always busy with Jihae..

 

 

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

 

So school ended and till then Zelo still had the blank expression on his face. I couldn't stand to look at him like this so I went over to him when he was about to leave the school gates.

"Hey.." i patted his shoulder. To which he reacted by facing towards my direction and immediately hiding that emotionless face and disguised it with a weak smile. 

"Hi." He replied.

"You wanna maybe go for ice cream today?" I asked.

"Mm..No, sorry Chaemin not today. I don't really feel like in the mood for it." He answered. I like how he's just honest about his reason not wanting to go and not making some lame excuse of 'I have plans'. But even with this I don't want to give up.

"Please? We haven't gone there in a long time." I pleaded with a pout. He paused and thought it over before giggling and agreeing, which made me grin and walk side by side with him to the usual ice cream shop. 

As soon as we got there, we ordered our usual flavors and sat down next to the window. We stayed quiet for a couple of minutes before I started a conversation.

"So..what has been bothering you today?" I asked hesitantly. I usually don't push him into telling me, but I couldn't stand seeing him look so down all day.

"I told you earlier Chae, it's nothing really." He said with a smile. "Why do you ask?"

"Because you looked so glum all day today and I was just worried." I sighed and pouted.

He paused for a while before replying. "It's ok Chaemin, no need to worry about me, it's not that big of a problem really." Again, he smiled, with an additional ruffling of my hair. Trying to make me convinced.

"Well, whatever the problem is, I'm sure you'll figure it out somehow" I smiled back.

"..Thanks Chaemin." He grinned while taking another spoonfull of ice cream. Without realising, he got some on his cheek.

"You got some ice cream on your cheek there." I told him.

"Hm? Really?" He asked while trying to locate where the spot is.

"Yeah, it's right in the middle." I said, and after none of his attempts got the right spot, I took a napkin and leaned closer. "Here let me get it for you." He froze for a second when my napkin touched his face then dropped his hand to let me wipe the ice cream off. My heart did it's fast beats and I was only praying I wasn't blushing. I saw his cheeks were a pale pink though. After it was all clean I sat back down and put the napkin on the table.

"Why did you just do that?" He asked in surprise of my sudden action. I knew he was going to ask that, and I only had one excuse.

"Remember when I had ice cream on my face the first time we went here together?" I recalled. He nodded for me to continue. "You wiped it off for me, now it's my turn to wipe it off for you." I said with a cheery grin. "Except, I didn't wipe it off with my mouth."

His cheeks turned bright red as he remembered that he kissed me on the cheek to remove the smear. "I-I just didn't want the ice cream to go to waste by wiping it with a napkin okay!" He blurted out. "Unlike what you did just now."

"Oh so you want me to kiss you?" I said. His cheeks went even redder as he covered his face and said, "I didn't mean it like that!" I laughed at him as he cools off his blushing cheeks. He looked at me in annoyance, but then joined in my laughter as we continued eating the rest of our treats.

 

After saying our goodbyes in the train, we went our seperate ways and I walked home alone. I was glad I could make him laugh again at least for a little while. I was happy I was able to get him out of his glum mood for even a little bit.

I reached home to see everyone already came home from work school. I opened our room door to see Jihae sitting on her bed. Her face got excited when I she saw me step in. 

"Finally you're home!" She exclaimed. "I've been wanting to tell you something!"

"What is it?" I questioned in curiotity. 

"You're never going to believe this," She paused for a second.

 

"Kim Himchan just asked me out yesterday evening. My crush ever since we got to this schooll!"

 

I stopped moving.

"We're dating now. I've been waiting for this ever since!"

I froze in place not knowing what to respond. Now I know why Zelo was so sad. I understand why he didn't want to tell me either, awkward because it was about my own sister.

"But..I thought..You liked Zelo..?" I said, still in shock and disbelief.

"What? Why would you think that?" She asked back. Somehow, I felt my anger piling up. After all these months, me staring at them and feeling hurt every single time, and it turns out she didn't even like him. And she ended up breaking his heart along with it.

"Because you two always spend time together." I replied in a cold tone.

"Well, yeah but I never saw him as more than a friend." She replied. Which made me angrier.

"How could you do this to him?!" I snapped. "I see how he blushes when you two talk, I see the way you two laugh with each other. He likes you Jihae!" 

Jihae looked at me, surprised at my reaction and at my words. 

"No he doesn't, I know who he likes. It's not me." She said to me. 

"Well what if he's just covering it up so you won't notice?" I shot back.

"It's true! It's not me! He always tells me about his crush, ok? How he felt happy when he's around her and stuff like that. You don't even know what we talk about Chaemin! Even if we do hang out a lot to the point where we look like we're into each other, appearance doesn't mean anything."

I didn't want to listen to her words as I didn't want to believe them. I didn't want to believe that Zelo had no interest in her. It can't be true. I see him. I see them. He's happy when with her.

I took a deep breath and I slumped on my bed. 

"Why do you always do this unnie?" I stared at her and she gave me back a look of confusion. "Why do you always steal people from me?"

Her eyes widened in surprise and tried to protest. "What?! No I don-" 

"Yes, you do!" I cut her off, raising my voice. "You always steal people from me."

"Now you're just being over dramatic. Just because of this thing with Zelo doesn't I did it to a lot of your friends." She tried to reason with me.

"It even started before we moved to this place." I said. She stayed quiet. "So you didn't realize? How my so called 'friends' started decreasing one by one when they met you? How most of the kids in my grade know me as 'Jihae's sister'? How a lot of people started to 'befriend' me just so they could get close to you hoping they'd get some of your popularity? And how I realized my only true friends were Sunhwa, Jieun and Youngjae?!" I was basically screaming by now with messy wet cheeks stained with tears. She still kept quiet, and I didn't want to end it there. 

"Perhaps this is the one you'll remember, do you remember..Moon Jongup?" I recalled and her eyes widened in realization. "Yes. He was your ex. Kid from my grade, not too tall, really nice smile?" She nodded slowly.

"He was my crush as well." I stated.

She definitely didn't expect that as it was shown through her facial expression. "Why do you seem so surprised? He used to give his smile to me too, as well as hang around with me. But all that changed when he met you. His smiles were only for you. And he was so into you that I was thrown away to a far dusty corner all alone. Didn't you ever see me so down in every school day when you two do something all lovey dovey? Or how I'd lock myself in my room everytime he came over? Of course you didn't. You were too busy with him." 

She had a mixed expression of shock, anger, and hurt as well. She didn't expect for me to go all out like that. It's the first time I spilled all of what I've been keeping inside to her. 

"And now with Zelo too. It hurts even more now cause all of the pain I felt with each passing day I see him with you is useless. You didn't even have feelings for him in the beginning. And it must hurt for him too. I understand why he looked so down for the whole day today." I kept spitting out words from my mouth as well as tears from my eyes as I see her face was stained with tears as well. "So now do you know why I cherish Sunhwa, Jieun and Youngjae so much? As well as Hyobin and Daehyun?" I paused before continuing. "It's because they were the only ones that didn't get affected by yo-"

"Enough! Enough already!" She cut me off. "Look I am sorry if I have been doing all these things to you or for ever making you feel that way but do you seriously think I do it on purpose? That I mean to take your friends or others away from you? I don't! I'm sorry I hurt you by getting too close with your crushes but what can I do? With Jongup I didn't know you liked him too, and I also didn't know with Zelo. And now that I like someone else it's still wrong for you. What else should I do Chaemin? If I didn't accept Himchan it would mean I'm lying to myself and anyways, Zelo doesn't even like me!" She stood up in rage and headed towards the door.

"Instead of blaming it all on me, think about how I feel too!" She said before slaming the door.

I was left alone crying to my pillow. I was filled with rage as well as she was. I'm just glad our parents decided to stay quiet about us shouting all over the place and not butting into it. I immediately grabbed my diary and started writing into it.

So all this time she didn't like Zelo.

All those times I wasted on sad moments and telling stories to Daehyun.

My heart hurted for a reason that wasn't even there.

 

Unbelieveable.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: I. Took. Soooooooooo long updating. I am sorry :( But anyways I hope you like this chapter! Leave commets <3

 

Follow my tumblr!