Alone

The Repeated Wish

[Her Mind]

JongIn didn't care and EunJi knew it. The look in his eyes were dreamy and he always held a love-struck grin. She knew they were drifting apart, but it didn't stop her from making the same wish everyday and night. Days passed, weeks went by, and months flew as the two finally stopped talking. She knew that he was always talking to JungMae; in other words he was too busy for her. The next time they talked he told her that he asked JungMae to be his girlfriend and she said yes. EunJi smiled and said she was happy for him.

"Are you happy?" EunJi asked trying to look JongIn in the eyes, but he wouldn't return the look.

"I've never been happier!" He replied while continuing to stare at JungMae who was talking with one of her friends a few feet away. EunJi said bye, but JongIn didn't even notice that EunJi left the school campus.

"Reality is the only way. It's Senior year and I'm not graduating with my best friend." EunJi mumbled to herself as she watched JongIn wrap his arms around JungMae's waist before driving off with invisible tears streaming down her face.

 

[His Mind]

His dream was now his reality. JungMae went from being his dream girl, to his girlfriend, and now his fiance! JongIn's life seemed perfect. He moved out of his parent's arguing house, he graduated the highest in his college class, he had a perfect relationship, and his life was complete. He smiled to himself, but something was missing. He opened his phone and looked through his pictures. He grinned as he saw several pictures of him and JungMae. They were a perfect couple and people always said they envied their relationship. He stopped when he saw a picture of him and EunJi, his best friend... Where was she? A flashback of the last time they talked popped into his head.

"Are you happy?"

"I've never been happier!"

After that talk she seemed to disappear. JongIn couldn't even recall if they talked at their high school graduation. That's when it dawned on him. The last time they talked was four years ago when they were Seniors in high school, and now they both graduated from college. Her smile replayed in his mind as reality hit him. She had the same smile when she tensed up at his long hug. The same smile that appeared when she made him talk to JungMae, and the same smile she had the night he made a wish for her life to work out. It was the smile that hid her fake emotions. In other words, it was her fake smile, her sad smile, her smile when she refused to cry. He dialed EunJi's number and hoped she'd pick up. He sighed when it went to her voicemail. Where did she go?

 

[Her Mind]

"Something on your mind love?" She shook her head and smiled at her boyfriend, Yixing. "Are you sure?"

"I'm positive babe."

"Ok, well I'm off to buy groceries. See you soon." She gave him a kiss on the cheek and waved bye as he walked out of their apartment. She sighed when she heard the door close and looked at her phone to see a missed call from her best friend. Actually ex best friend. They hadn't talked in four years. She knew the day of their last conversation would eventually happen when him and JungMae became friends, but it still hit her like a hurricane. So why was he calling her now? After four years what would he want with his former best freind? She reluctantly called back and wasn't sure what to do when she heard his voice.

"Hey, I'm so happy you called back!"

"Yea, it's been awhile." She gave a nervous laugh as she realized how shaky her voice sounded.

"Do you want to grab a coffee? It's been a really long time since we've seen each other and it'd be nice to catch up." JongIn's voice sounded so casual and calm unlike EunJi who was nervous for no reason.

"Sure, you want to meet at our  old coffee shop hang out in thirty minutes?"

"Sounds great! See you soon!" They both hung up as she looked at herself in the small hallway mirror. What was the point of them meeting? They might become good friends again, but she was scared that her heart might fall for him. She had a great life and didn't want  to ruin it. She made it into the top law school in Seoul, her boyfriend and her just moved in together, and things had never been better. What if one get together with JongIn screwed everything up? She shook her head as she changed and wrote a note to leave on the kitchen table.

Went to meet with a childhood friend.

I'll tent you when I'm on my way home.

I love you!

- EunJi

 

[Life]

"Hi, I'll have a vanilla frappunccino with whip cream." EunJi walked into the coffee shop to hear a guy ordering. She laughed to herself when she recognized the order.

"Hello Ms, what can I get for you?" EunJi was about to order until someone appeared next to her and cut her off.

"She'll take a large black tea sweetened and add it to my bill." EunJi turned and smiled at her former best friend.

"Still remember my order huh? And thanks." EunJi laughed.

"No problem and don't act like you didn't recognize my order." JongIn winked.

"The same order ever since seventh grade." She teased as JongIn pulled her in for a hug. She tensed a little, but let her guard down as JongIn embraced her for the small amount of time.

"Here are your drinks!" The two thanked the worker as they walked to a small table and sat down.

"What have you been up to?" JongIn asked.

"I made it into the top law school in Seoul."

"Just like you always wanted." He smiled as EunJi nodded in agreement.

"What about you?"

"JungMae and I are now engaged!" JongIn showed EunJi the ring as she smiled and congratulated him. "Are you seeing anyone?"

"My boyfriend Zhang Yixing and I just moved in together."

"I'd love to meet him sometime."

"Of course, when will the wedding be?"

"We're not sure yet." JongIn gave an unsure sigh, but was quick to smile again.

Hours went by and before either knew it a polite worker was asking the two to leave so they could close the shop.

"Well I should get going. It was nice talking to you. We should hang out again soon." EunJi smiled.

"I agree, this was fun!" EunJi and JongIn hugged and pulled away just enough so each could look into the other's face.

"Uhm I should get going, bye!" EunJi quickly scrambled off to her car as JongIn chuckled and did the same.

 

[Her Mind]

"Honey, I'm home!" EunJi looked around the apartment, but Yixing wasn't in sight. "That's weird. I saw his car in the front." EunJi mumbled to herself. She dropped her purse on the couch as she headed to the bedroom. "Yixing, are you he-" EunJi's voice disappeared and her eyes widened as she entered the bedroom.

"Oh shoot. EunJi, you're home!" Yixing wore only his jeans as he scrambled to push a girl wearing only her shorts and a bra off of him. He grabbed his shirt and approached EunJi as she quickly backed up. "You were supposed to text me when you were heading home."

"So I wouldn't catch you in our bed with another girl?!" EunJi yelled as she headed to the living room to grab the purse that she dropped on the couch.

"EunJi, I'm sorry! Things just happened!" EunJi stared at Yixing as she saw the plead in his eyes. She turned to the girl who had finally finished putting her blouse on and asked with seriousness in her voice.

"What's your name?"

"Don't bring her into this EunJi." EunJi glared at Yixing for even saying anything.

"Shut up. I wasn't talking to you. What is your name?"

"Ju-JungMae." EunJi's eyes widened as she stared at the girl.

"Baek JungMae? Ho-how could you?!" JungMae stared back as she realized who EunJi was.

"Oh goodness, EunJi I am so sorry! I didn't know Yixing was your boyfriend! I wouldn't have done this if I knew he was your boyfriend!"

"So you would've went around another girl's back if he wasn't mine?! What about JongIn?!"

"Please don't tell him!" Yixing stared at the two girls and decided to ask a question.

"Wait, who's JongIn?"

"JungMae's fiance." EunJi informed Yixing through gritted teeth.

"You're engaged?!"

"Well you had a girlfriend! Don't act innocent Yixing. You knew you were going behind your girlfriend's back!" JungMae defended.

"I'm right here! You better tell JongIn."

"No, please. JongIn is the best thing that has ever happened to me."

"Well you should've thought about that before you went sneaking behind his back. Your best will definitely find better than you. He deserves it. If you don't tell him I will."

"Fine, I'll tell him." JungMae hung her head as EunJi kept her guard up.

"Good, now get out." EunJi pointed to the door as JungMae left. She turned to see Yixing staring at her with sad eyes.

"EunJi, please forgive me."

"I do, but you and me.. It's over." Yixing was about to head out the door, but EunJi stopped him.

"Don't bother leaving. I'm on my way out." EunJi left leaving Yixing standing there with guilt written all over his face as she got in her car and drove away. Yixing watched EunJi's car get farther away before heading back inside their apartment.

"I'm sorry EunJi. I hope you have someone to turn to so you don't go through this mess I created alone."