Wish

The Repeated Wish

[Her Mind]

She'd be lying if she said her mind didn't have a reserved part that thought about him day and night. It'd be a lie if she said her heart didn't skip a beat when he smiled at her. At least he knew who she was right? No, it hurt that he knew who she was, but didn't know how she felt. She knew that telling him might ruin their friendship and ruining the friendship between her and her best friend was the last thing she wanted.

"What's going on in that mind of yours?" JongIn playfully poked EunJi's head as she smiled and lightly pushed away his hand. She had been sitting at their favorite coffee shop hangout alone as she saw the hurt in his eyes just because she went there without him.

"The usual; school, family, nothing new." She easily lied to her own best friend as if it was normal. It wasn't a complete lie, she just left out the part where their memories were replaying in her mind.

"You sure? You look a little worried." The care and concern in JongIn's voice made her want to break down and tell him everything, but she knew that wasn't an option. Confessing her feelings was never an option especially with their perfect friendship. She shook her head and laughed to assure him.

"I'm sure, I promise." EunJi held out her pinky as his pinky curled around her own; sealing their promise. She already knew that she broke her promise the moment she said it, but she didn't dare say a word.

"Well I still think something is off. I have to go, but I'll wish for everything to work out for you at 11:11."

"You already know that I don't believe in 11:11. Like I always say-"

"I know, reality is the only way." JongIn cut her off and chuckled. "Well I'll still wish for you."

"Thanks for the thought. See you tomorrow at school!" He hugged her bye as she imagined being in his arms forever. Soon she was left alone again with her thoughts and the silence of the night. She chuckled to herself as she imagined her best friend making a wish at 11:11. The thought of making a wish just because of the time on a clock was ridiculous to her, but she couldn't help but ponder upon it. She grabbed her car keys and drove home with the thought of making a wish stuck in her mind.

After getting ready for bed she opened her phone to check the time. Her phone lit up as 11:10 appeared on her screen. It wouldn't hurt to make a wish, even if she didn't believe in wishes. But what would she wish for? Straight A's in school? Her parents trusting her like an actual sixteen year old? Maybe she would wish for her JongIn to fall in love with her! It wouldn't be too weird since he was going to wish about her in one minute right? She sighed at the infinite amount of options and the small amount of time as she watched her phone flash from 11:10 to 11:11. She smiled when she realized what she wanted to wish for and quickly closed her eyes to make her wish. When she opened her eyes the time lit up from 11:11 to 11:12.

She found herself stuck with a smile on her face as she promised herself she'd make the same wish everyday just to see if it'd ever come true. Even though she didn't believe in wishes, she hoped that her wish would become true. Just maybe, maybe it would come true forever.

 

[His Mind]

He sat in his room and quickly wished for his best friend's life to work out as the last seconds of 11:11 flashed before turning to 11:12. He sighed when he heard the routine of shouts from his parent's room. It had been night after night as his parent's argued and yelled at each other. He had no idea how his younger brother slept through it and his older brother was lucky enough to move out and find an apartment of his own. But for him, he could never sleep through all the noise. It was as  if he could feel their anger keep him awake. But what kept him up that night wasn't his parent's yelling, it was how something seemed off about his best friend. EunJi was usually happy and had her normal side of sarcasm, but when he went to approach her as she sat alone outside the coffee shop he saw sadness on her face. She would usually tell him everything so what was hurting her so much that she wouldn't open up to him? Did she not trust him anymore? JongIn shook his head and told himself that his best friend would tell him when she felt ready to.

All of a sudden the girl of his dreams popped into his mind. She was perfect to him. Tall, long wavy hair, a bright smile, and ful of natural talent. He knew she didn't know who he was and if she knew him she wouldn't like him back, no girl ever liked him. He laughed at how his best friend always told him that he was perfect the way he was, but that wasn't enough to get the girl of his dreams to like him. He was surprised when he realized that his best friend and the girl of his dreams were complete opposites. The girl of his dreams had obvious emotions while EunJi plastered a smile on her face to hide what she called "weak emotions." His best friend was medium height while the girl of his dreams was tall and the perfect height to match a perfect couple between them. EunJi was full of teasing, sarcastic remarks while the girl of his dreams was positive and cheerful just like him. She was so perfect! If he could make her his in a second he'd do it without any hesitation, but she wouldn't like him back.

He gave a slight frown as he imagined himself getting rejected her her. JongIn put on his headphones and closed his eyes as he drowned out his parents yelling and his own thoughts with music. He guessed he'd just have to wait for something good to happen to him.

 

[Her Mind]

She sat in school the following morning as she played with her pencil during the teacher's lecture. Junior year of high school was a drag and no one knew what the teacher was talking about. EunJi couldn't stop thinking about the wish she made and wondered if it would become true forever. She opened her phone to see the time 11:11 pop up. She quickly made the same wish from the night before and put her phone away before the teacher could take it. When the bell finally rang letting everyone out for lunch she quickly rushed to her locker to put her books away.

"I wised for your life to work out last night." She spun around to see JongIn smiling at her, but his smile was different.

"Thanks, are you ok?" She saw the distant look in his eyes and followed his gaze as it led to a person. But it wasn't just any person, it was one certain girl. She knew that his gaze and attention was on his dream girl and it broke her heart. What hurt the most was that she knew she was nothing compared to her. She was dirt while the other girl was a queen. If they ever started dating, he'd forget she existed. EunJi sighed before grabbing JongIn's arm and dragging him with her.

"Hey Baek JungMae!" EunJi smiled at JungMae as she gave a smile in return.

"Hi Lee EunJi!" EunJi nudged JongIn's side as her best friend gave a shy smile and quietly whispered.

"Hi JungMae."

"Did you know that you two like all the same bands?" EunJi said, starting up a conversation.

"Really?" The two lost souls shockingly looked at each other then at EunJi.

"I actually have no idea, but you should find out. I have to go, bye!" She quickly walked away and rounded the corner before either of the two could stop her. She waited a couple seconds before poking her head out to see them already getting along and laughing. She knew she had just set up the guy of her dreams with the girl of his, but all she could do was plaster a sad smile on her face and walk away to hide any weak emotions.

 

[His Mind]

Lunch break seemed to only last five minutes, but that was probably because JongIn was talking to the girl of his dreams. When the bell rang they exchanged numbers and quickly said bye. Once school ended he ran up to EunJi and gave her a long hug. Usually she hugs him back, but this time he felt her tense up in his arms.

"Thank you so much! Are you ok?" He watched his best friend nod and smile to show she was fine. Her smile seemed familiar to him, but he didn't know why. He didn't care though because he was on cloud nine.

"I have to go, bye." He didn't even realize that EunJi left until he found himself standing alone, but he didn't care. There were more important things to think about like JungMae instead of trying to find out why EunJi's smile seemed familiar.